PDA

View Full Version : Cf

remember ventura
10-08-2008, 09:03 PM
If we do indeed infuse "The Chone Figgins", and not a player like Chone Figgins, I would be rather content with our infield next year. This leaves a vast void in center field.

Call me crazy, but I would love to have a Chris Singelton type player starting, if not even "The Chris Singelton".

discuss.

guillen4life13
10-08-2008, 10:25 PM
If we do indeed infuse "The Chone Figgins", and not a player like Chone Figgins, I would be rather content with our infield next year. This leaves a vast void in center field.

Call me crazy, but I would love to have a Chris Singelton type player starting, if not even "The Chris Singelton".

discuss.

Um...

Hmm...

Singleton: Decent CF with good speed and a not so good bat.
Anderson: Awesome CF with decent speed and a not so good bat.

I think that Anderson would do fine in the role and as the 9th hitter in the lineup.

kittle42
10-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I think that Anderson would do fine in the role and as the 9th hitter in the lineup.

I already saw that movie in 2006.

JermaineDye05
10-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Yeah, Brian hasn't shown to me that he can handle a major league breaking ball unless it's hanging. From time to time he can get around a fastball. He also can't seem to handle pitches on the inside corner. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him as a reserve, cause his defense in the outfield is superb and can save games i.e. the Sox clincher this year.

btrain929
10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, Brian hasn't shown to me that he can handle a major league breaking ball unless it's hanging. From time to time he can get around a fastball. He also can't seem to handle pitches on the inside corner. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him as a reserve, cause his defense in the outfield is superb and can save games i.e. the Sox clincher this year.

Since most breaking balls are to the outside corner, that's 2/3rds of the plate he can't cover. Sweet.

guillen4life13
10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I should have that BA would be fine IF a much better, reasonably priced alternative doesn't show up. And more specifically to the thread, I'd rather have BA than Singleton playing on the team.

Craig Grebeck
10-08-2008, 11:46 PM
I'd be content with Brian in CF so long as there are massive upgrades at 3b/2b with Alexei moving to SS. Even then, I'm not sure we can handle the dead weight.

JermaineDye05
10-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Since most breaking balls are to the outside corner, that's 2/3rds of the plate he can't cover. Sweet.

Just to clarify, were you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? :D:

oeo
10-08-2008, 11:54 PM

One of the scariest I've seen; I still have nightmares on occasion.

rowand33
10-09-2008, 12:10 AM
So, is Anderson dead weight?

I have no idea; neither do any of you.

I thought Floyd was dead weight going into the year, and he proved me (and a lot of other people) wrong.

Who knows what a once-top-prospect will do with a few years of maturity and a starting job?

IF we upgrade at 2b and 3b (I think that getting Hudson and Beltre are realistic options; I don't know how we get Figgins), I would have no problem with BA starting in CF.

He plays the one of the best defensive CFs I've ever seen. If he could hit .270 with 15 HR and 15 SB, we'd be a better team than last year having him in center.

NardiWasHere
10-09-2008, 12:29 AM

I thought Floyd was dead weight going into the year, and he proved me (and a lot of other people) wrong.

Who knows what a once-top-prospect will do with a few years of maturity and a starting job?

IF we upgrade at 2b and 3b (I think that getting Hudson and Beltre are realistic options; I don't know how we get Figgins), I would have no problem with BA starting in CF.

He plays the one of the best defensive CFs I've ever seen. If he could hit .270 with 15 HR and 15 SB, we'd be a better team than last year having him in center.

So just because Floyd exceeded expectations, Anderson (and therefore every underachiever from now on) will do the same?

Don't get me wrong, I like Anderson as much as the next rational guy, but what makes you think he can/will hit .270? I'm not saying he'd be a horrible option at CF if we seriously upgrade everywhere else. However, it is what it is.

Don't kid yourself.

Frater Perdurabo
10-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Even with BA in the 9 hole and sucking completely at the dish for the first 2.5 months of the season, the 2006 Sox offense was very productive.

Indeed, the 2006 lineup was sufficiently productive with terrible production from Uribe AND BA. (It was the pitching failure that doomed the 2006 team, even so they still won 90 games.)

Now, I do NOT advocate going into 2009 with Uribe AND BA at the bottom of the order. But I think that if 3B and 2B/SS are upgraded (with Alexei at either SS or 2B) with solid hitting, speedy veterans who get on base at a .350-ish clip, then the Sox can afford to "carry" BA as the #9 hitter strictly for his CF defense.

He can get down a bunt, he'll hit .240 (and perhaps better since he'd face more RHP - he's always been better v. RHP than LHP), he'll hit 30 doubles, and he'll hit 15 homers. I think that's good enough for a #9 hitter if he plays great defense and prevents the other team from scoring runs, which he does.

Bucky F. Dent
10-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Have we concluded, then, that the Jerry Owens experiment is over? I have not seen an ounce of improvement in the kids game over the course of this season.

I agree with the others who have stated that they would be willing to carry a light hitting BA in the lineup if there are significant upgrades at second and third.

oeo
10-09-2008, 07:38 AM

Who knows what a once-top-prospect will do with a few years of maturity and a starting job.

All I know is: a)He still has trouble with breaking stuff and b)He's still afraid of the inside pitch. Former top prospect doesn't mean jack. Joe Borchard was, too...are we singing his praise?

He plays the one of the best defensive CFs I've ever seen. If he could hit .270 with 15 HR and 15 SB, we'd be a better team than last year having him in center.If he hit .270, everybody would agree with you. You don't seriously believe he can hit .270, do you? The guy just had an OBP of .272 this year. You can give me the limited AB's lecture all you want, but that's bad no matter what.

Someone else mentioned .240, and while that's a lot more realistic than .270, I question whether he can even hit that.

voodoochile
10-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Have we concluded, then, that the Jerry Owens experiment is over? I have not seen an ounce of improvement in the kids game over the course of this season.

I agree with the others who have stated that they would be willing to carry a light hitting BA in the lineup if there are significant upgrades at second and third.

He was injured twice this year. When he came back from the second one, he seemed to click in AAA and put on a nice run to finish his minor league season. Once on the big league club he didn't get any chances to speak of.

I think a bunch of fans and a few well known talent evaluators on this site have given up on him, but I think the Sox are going to give him a shot next season unless they move a package to land a CF...

Craig Grebeck
10-09-2008, 08:55 AM
He was injured twice this year. When he came back from the second one, he seemed to click in AAA and put on a nice run to finish his minor league season. Once on the big league club he didn't get any chances to speak of.

I think a bunch of fans and a few well known talent evaluators on this site have given up on him, but I think the Sox are going to give him a shot next season unless they move a package to land a CF...
Why though? He sucks. He has proven it over and over and over. He slugged .314 in AAA!

His MLE (major league equivalent) this season was: .234/.307/.267/.574!!!!!!

voodoochile
10-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Why though? He sucks. He has proven it over and over and over. He slugged .314 in AAA!

His MLE (major league equivalent) this season was: .234/.307/.267/.574!!!!!!

While injured...

Why are you using MLE's? You have half a season of ML stats to look at.

In addition, his numbers after returning from the second stint on the DL this season show a huge improvement over the rest of his season.

You can see his post AS numbers are a dramatic improvement over his pre-AS numbers. Yes he played in 59 game Pre AS with two stints on the DL and only 30 post AS before being called up by the Sox.

His 2007 numbers are closer to his Post -AS numbers and show a much better BB/K ratio as do his 2007 numbers.

He also killed the baseball in ST this season before getting injured - has to be considered at least AAA in terms of talent level he faced.

If one season of injury plagued baseball bad stats is enough to preclude a guy from getting a shot than I question how those decisions are made.

Still, I'm not expecting huge things from Owens and I agree his glove is suspect in CF, merely pointing out that I think the Sox are going to give him a shot because they are looking for speed - something Owens brings in spades.

I'll use the BA supporter's logic as my final argument - IF Owens can get his OBP up to .350 he would be the leadoff hitter the Sox are looking for.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jerry%20Owens&pos=&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=435539

kittle42
10-09-2008, 09:51 AM

People said this same stuff last year and the year before. When has he ever shown he can?

jabrch
10-09-2008, 10:25 AM
He plays the one of the best defensive CFs I've ever seen.

I don't know how old you are - or how much baseball you see...but can we hold off a bit on crowning BA even just for his D? He's good. Very good. But he's not anywhere close to one of the best defensive CFs I have seen.

thedudeabides
10-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't know how old you are - or how much baseball you see...but can we hold off a bit on crowning BA even just for his D? He's good. Very good. But he's not anywhere close to one of the best defensive CFs I have seen.

I agree jabrch. Brian is a very good CF, but his defensive prowess gets a bit exaggerated around here.

In 600 major league at bats he has hit .221 with a .277 obp. I'm not exactly sure why some people assume he'll jump 50 points with playing time. He would need to drastically change his approach for that to happen. Good pitching can exploit his weaknesses very easily. I hope he does improve, but I would think he will be in a platoon situation, at best, next year. More likely he'll be the 4th or 5th outfielder.

kittle42
10-09-2008, 11:23 AM
In 600 major league at bats he has hit .221 with a .277 obp. I'm not exactly sure why some people assume he'll jump 50 points with playing time. He would need to drastically change his approach for that to happen. Good pitching can exploit his weaknesses very easily. I hope he does improve, but I would think he will be in a platoon situation, at best, next year. More likely he'll be the 4th or 5th outfielder.

I agree. Yet some of the same people who think Anderson can jump 50 points with playing time seem to think Fields would not. Odd.

getonbckthr
10-09-2008, 11:48 AM
People like to bash Brian Anderson. I'm curious is there anyway to find out the teams ERA with and without Anderson in CF?

btrain929
10-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Just to clarify, were you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? :D:

LOL agreeing with you. Unless he improves drastically at the plate, he is best served as a 4th OF/defensive replacement. It's hard to argue for a guy to start when he has problems hittings balls on 2 of the 3 parts of the plate.

NLaloosh
10-09-2008, 11:52 AM
I think that we should start a new poll:

Which of us have wives that can hit the baseball harder and farther than Jerry Owens ?

oeo
10-09-2008, 11:54 AM
People like to bash Brian Anderson. I'm curious is there anyway to find out the teams ERA with and without Anderson in CF?

I highly doubt you're going to get anything out of it. The defense in CF wasn't so awful that our pitching staff failed because of it.

Besides, no one ever argues with Anderson's defense; he's a fine defender. That makes him a good 4th outfielder instead of a career minor leaguer.