PDA

View Full Version : Which team has the best chance to end their playoff drought?

PKalltheway
10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
With the Brewers cracking the playoffs for the first time in 26 years (and promptly getting eliminated in the first round), and with the Rays making it for the first time in their 10 year history, it got me wondering: which team will be the next team to end their long playoff drought? I'm just going to limit this to teams that haven't made it since the 2000s started.

Here are your teams:
Nationals/Expos: 27 years (1981 NLCS vs. L.A., lost 3 games to 2)
Royals: 23 years (1985 World Series, defeated Cardinals 4 games to 3)
Pirates: 16 years (1992 NLCS, lost to Atlanta 4 games to 3)
Blue Jays: 15 years (1993 World Series, defeated Philly 4 games to 2)
Reds: 13 years (1995 NLCS, swept by Atlanta)
Orioles: 11 years (1997 ALCS, lost to Cleveland 4 games to 2)
Rangers: 9 years (1999 ALDS, swept by Yankees)

Out of all of these teams, I would have to say that the Blue Jays have the best shot. I know that they are in an incredibly tough division, but they have some of the best pitching in the AL. If A.J. Burnett does not opt out of his contract, he will be returning along with Roy Halladay, and a solid #3 in Dustin McGowan (who will be ready in time for spring training). Their hitters, Alex Rios, and Vernon Wells, had off years this past year, and look to rebound. They finally have a strong presence in their clubhouse with Cito Gaston, who brings a winning attitude to the team.

The only cons I see with the Blue Jays is a streaky offense (like we saw at the end of this season), and they will miss Shawn Marcum, as he is out with Tommy John surgery.

It's a stretch, but I'll say that the Jays definitely have a chance to end their drought within the next few years.

That's my two cents. What's your take?

RKMeibalane
10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
The Reds. They have a nice group of young players, and have a chance to improve within the next 2-3 seasons. If they can continue to add pieces, there's no reason why they won't contend in 2010 or '11.

JB98
10-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Blue Jays, because they are the best team on that list.

I want Mags back
10-08-2008, 09:54 PM
The Jays are far and away the best team their, but the east is just too hard. I feel like the Reds have potential.

illini81887
10-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Going to be hard for the jays

chisoxfanatic
10-08-2008, 10:33 PM
The Jays seem to be the only team on that list who will be (or even try to be) competitive in their division.

WhiteSox5187
10-08-2008, 11:24 PM
The Jays seem to be the only team on that list who will be (or even try to be) competitive in their division.
Well, I think the Reds are going ot have a very good team in a bit, they have some good pieces there with Jay Bruce, Votto, and Volquez, plus Walt Jocketty has done a real good job with the Cardinals, I think he'll do a good job with the Reds.

FedEx227
10-08-2008, 11:26 PM
The Reds. They have a nice group of young players, and have a chance to improve within the next 2-3 seasons. If they can continue to add pieces, there's no reason why they won't contend in 2010 or '11.

Same. They play in a division that could be up for grabs again in another 2-3 years. I think Toronto is a much better team, but they'll never compete with the Rays, Yanks or Sawks, ditto for Orioles. The Reds have the best overall chance in my mind to break that.

MUsoxfan
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
The Rangers are sooo close to turning the corner if they could only get some decent pitching.

doublem23
10-09-2008, 12:23 AM
I'd like to vote the Reds, but with I can't seem to reconcile in my mind how Dusty Baker will mold a group of young players into a contender.

So Toronto it is.

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2008, 01:14 AM
The Rangers are sooo close to turning the corner if they could only get some decent pitching.
Too bad they seem to like to trade their good pitching away in return for lesser arms. :wink:

BadBobbyJenks
10-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Wow I just done see any of those teams getting it done.

I would have to say Reds have the best chance and Rangers are an interesting team.

I dont see Burnett staying with the Jays and that offense needs some serious work. Plus even if the Jays get competitive they are buried behind 3 teams in the east next year. (I expect the Yankees to spend a lot of money)

If Homer Bailey pans out the Reds have 3 very good young starters to build around in addition to Bruce and Votto. Not to mention Harang who is certainly a very capable number 3 in the NL.

palehozenychicty
10-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Same. They play in a division that could be up for grabs again in another 2-3 years. I think Toronto is a much better team, but they'll never compete with the Rays, Yanks or Sawks, ditto for Orioles. The Reds have the best overall chance in my mind to break that.

Never say never. I thought that the Rays would contend, then fade away this season. NOBODY saw 100 wins, including the postseason. They led the East pretty much from June and blew past their contender in September. Toronto does have the resources (Rogers Communications), but they need to get more power, especially at one of the infield corners. Overbay is a good fit for that fast surface at first.

The Orioles need another year to get a shortstop, first baseman (Teixiera?), and another starter. Then they'll be back in the mix as well. You gotta like Markakis, Jones, and Scott. If they get Teixiera or Burnett, hell, Roberts may hang around.

They were around .500 until August, then fell apart.

I like what the Reds are doing, but Bailey so far has been disappointing, and they're managed by Dusty.

jabrch
10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm going with Texas. Toronto is in a tough division to win and they are already at the high end of what they want to spend in terms of total payroll. Texas could easily go out and spend the $ and bring in a few starters - Hicks has proven he will spend the $.

drewcifer
10-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Blue Jays, because they are the best team on that list.

Agreed. They have way too much talent (especially pitching wise) to keep under achieving.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
The Blue Jays are losing most of their pitching staff to injuries and free agency.

I go with the Royals IF their young staff continues to progress. It's always about the pitching isn't it?

Lip

NLaloosh
10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
I voted Toronto because they are the only team on the list that's any good.

Hendu
10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Blue Jays have a good shot, but don't count out the Rangers either. They play in a 4-team division with some pretty crappy teams (besides the Angels), and if they can somehow get their pitching together...

FedEx227
10-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Never say never. I thought that the Rays would contend, then fade away this season. NOBODY saw 100 wins, including the postseason. They led the East pretty much from June and blew past their contender in September. Toronto does have the resources (Rogers Communications), but they need to get more power, especially at one of the infield corners. Overbay is a good fit for that fast surface at first.

A lot of people saw them going to the playoffs this year. I had absolutely had them pegged for the postseasons (I think I had Wild Card).

Toronto had a window this year and it has passed. They had an amazing all-around rotation this year. Now Burnett will be gone, McGowan will never be the same after surgery. It's going to be tough going in the future because the Rays are only going to get better and the Red Sox have built up a very nice young nucleus.

The reason I said the Reds was completely based on the division they play in. I don't think the Reds are a better team by any stretch, but they have the easiest path to the playoffs because their division is likely up for grabs each and every year.

nccwsfan
10-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Tough but good question that's almost impossible to answer. Pittsburgh is hopeless and won't win anytime soon. Toronto has the financial resources to end the drought. The Nats, although in the early stages of the youth movement, have ownership that appears willing to spend the $$. The Royals and Reds appear to be committed to building the right way and have good GM's (Jocketty in Cincy is as solid as they come). Texas needs pitching but they have a good lineup and could potentially keep it close in the AL West.

I voted for Kansas City, but anyone other than Pittsburgh wouldn't be a bad answer IMO.

whitesox901
10-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Im gonna go with the Jays,

Doc and the young pitching,

and the offense led by Wells, Stairs, Rios, Glaus. The AL East is gonna be interesting next season

Hitmen77
10-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I voted for Texas mostly because there is only 1 good team in their division to get past.

By the way, as of tomorrow's ALCS game, the Texas Rangers are the only MLB franchise to never have appeared in a League Championship Series. :o: (for the Nationals franchise, I counted the Expos' 1981 NLCS appearance)

asindc
10-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Tough but good question that's almost impossible to answer. Pittsburgh is hopeless and won't win anytime soon. Toronto has the financial resources to end the drought. The Nats, although in the early stages of the youth movement, have ownership that appears willing to spend the $$. The Royals and Reds appear to be committed to building the right way and have good GM's (Jocketty in Cincy is as solid as they come). Texas needs pitching but they have a good lineup and could potentially keep it close in the AL West.

I voted for Kansas City, but anyone other than Pittsburgh wouldn't be a bad answer IMO.

Actually, the chief complaint against the Nats' ownership is that they have been too cheap in deciding not to go after veteran free agents to add to their youth movement. The feeling here is that the ownership wants to ensure profitability before being competitive spenders in the free agent market.

getonbckthr
10-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Texas in a wild card role. Remember they will get 19 against a rebuilding Oakland and rebuilding Seattle team while Toronto and Baltimore get Boston, Tampa and a reloaded Yankee team and KC gets the Sox, Twins, Indians and Tiger team. As far as the Pirates and Reds The Cubs will still be really good, Houston will be good and you know St. Louis will be solid.

palehozenychicty
10-09-2008, 05:07 PM
A lot of people saw them going to the playoffs this year. I had absolutely had them pegged for the postseasons (I think I had Wild Card).

Toronto had a window this year and it has passed. They had an amazing all-around rotation this year. Now Burnett will be gone, McGowan will never be the same after surgery. It's going to be tough going in the future because the Rays are only going to get better and the Red Sox have built up a very nice young nucleus.

The reason I said the Reds was completely based on the division they play in. I don't think the Reds are a better team by any stretch, but they have the easiest path to the playoffs because their division is likely up for grabs each and every year.

It's closing, but I don't know if it has passed. They are high on a few young arms, but they won't be quality major leaguers until '10. Out of all those teams, they have the resources, though. They still also have Doc Halladay, Litsch, Rios, Wells, Overbay, Downs, Ryan, and Hill if he can get over the concussions. That's a better nucleus than all of those teams on the list. Yes, Tampa and the Sawx will be there. Yes, the Yankees will spend money, because they're clueless. The East will be a meat grinder next year, and it was a tough division for the Sox this season.

Baltimore does, too, and I think people are sleeping on them a little bit. MacPhail has cleaned up some of Angelos' garbage, and they have a good young outfield. I really think if they signed Burnett or Teixiera and got a shortstop and/or first baseman on the cheap, they could do some things next year. Their pen is rock solid too.

The Reds have probably the weakest division, but if they had a better manager I'd give them more hope. Jocketty is a good start for a GM.

I think that Texas needs to put a lid on that stadium. Otherwise, I don't see how they win in that heat and stiff infield. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2008, 05:19 PM

and the offense led by Wells, Stairs, Rios, Glaus. The AL East is gonna be interesting next season
I don't think they'll be able to re-sign Burnett, and remember Marcum is out for the entire 09 season. With that said, I think they'll be sitting in fourth place again in that division.

turners56
10-09-2008, 05:30 PM

They're managed by Dusty Baker...You know that's a white flag already.

MeteorsSox4367
10-09-2008, 05:48 PM

IIRC, Stairs is gone. He's on the bench with the Phillies.

Max Power
10-09-2008, 05:54 PM
By the way, as of tomorrow's ALCS game, the Texas Rangers are the only MLB franchise to never have appeared in a League Championship Series. :o: (for the Nationals franchise, I counted the Expos' 1981 NLCS appearance)

In fact they've only won one playoff game in their history, and it was the first one they ever played. They won game 1 of their 1996 ALDS series against the Yankees and then lost the next three. They were then swept in ALDS series in 1998 (by the Yankees) and 1999 (Yankees again).

BadBobbyJenks
10-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Alex Rios and Vernon Wells, thats it. The offense beyond that is mediocre at best. Another 4th place finish in store for the Blue Jays. They may be the best team on the list, but the Reds have an easier path.

FedEx227
10-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Alex Rios and Vernon Wells, thats it. The offense beyond that is mediocre at best. Another 4th place finish in store for the Blue Jays. They may be the best team on the list, but the Reds have an easier path.

Exactly. Rios and Wells are both on the down too, neither have had particular good years lately.

Wells especially has had two consecutive mediocre years.

DumpJerry
10-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Texas can't sign good pitching because good pitchers don't want to play there. Too much of a hitters' park + the heat of July and August=no thank you.

Mohoney
10-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Texas can't sign good pitching because good pitchers don't want to play there. Too much of a hitters' park + the heat of July and August=no thank you.

Plus, they traded away young guys like Volquez and Danks that they would have controlled for a while.

PKalltheway
10-09-2008, 08:28 PM
No votes for Washington or Pittsburgh (that does not suprise me). Here's a question I have, though: how would those two teams go about building their franchises to where they could be contenders in the future? I don't follow either team that much, but the Pirates seem like they never stick to their plan of rebuilding. The little bit that I do know about the Bucs is that they have been poor drafters in the past, and anybody that they do draft that turns out to be any good, they trade away!

From what I've heard, the Pirates have a new front office, so maybe they're trying to get on the right track? I don't know...

nccwsfan
10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Actually, the chief complaint against the Nats' ownership is that they have been too cheap in deciding not to go after veteran free agents to add to their youth movement. The feeling here is that the ownership wants to ensure profitability before being competitive spenders in the free agent market.

It will be awhile before they decide to make a splash in free agency- no argument there. What I was trying to relay was once they do make that push, they won't cry poor like Pittsburgh always does.

It's a slooooooooow process in DC, but one day they'll get it right.

turners56
10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Ozzie said something along the lines of "watch out for the Royals next year".

They do have a really good pitching nucleus right now. Greinke is a solid #1. Meche is a nice veteran to have around. Davies really pitched well later in the season this year. Hochevar is meh, but was a high pick. I don't know what to say about Bannister though...

They have 3 solid starters right now and two really iffy ones at the back end of the rotation. They have a very good closer too. They have some young talent in Mike Aviles, David DeJesus, and Billy Butler. They'll have Jose Guillen next year too. If they get a good corner outfielder with some power (like if they were to bring back Ibanez), they could be a very good team next year. Maybe not 90-wins good, but good enough to play spoiler and be above .500.