PDA

View Full Version : Griffey: "Time of my life"

t1mm41
10-08-2008, 02:24 PM
thought this was cool

http://www.nwherald.com/baseball/story.php?id=1588

esbrechtel
10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
It's really too bad that we already have too many slow power hitters because I would love to see what Griffey could have done in a full season with the sox (in RF or DH not CF) He got some key basehits for this team and made one hellova throw to AJ in that Tie-breaker game...

oh and :welcome:

Rockabilly
10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I love Griffey as a player..

it's a shame that Jr didn't start his career with the Sox...

maybe he will be part of the Sox organzation after his playing days are over...

Jim Shorts
10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Nobody puts Griffey in a corner

BBaum21
10-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I hope KW gauges Junior's interest in coming back as a 4th OF. I take Junior at his word that he genuinely would be interested in coming back. I don't think money would be an issue with him.

He wants to win and approved the trade in July because we had an opportunity to play in the postseason, which came to fruition. One would think the team will be just as competitive or moreso in 2009.

I just love the fact Ken Griffey Jr. got an opportunity to play for the White Sox and find it very cool he'll have "Chicago A.L." on his HOF plaque. I'd love for him to come back as a 4th OF.

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be back, which makes me sad.

soxpride724
10-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I hope he comes back also, I know he wasn't that productive maybe he needs a full season in the same city.

wxkid23
10-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Junior didn't light the world on fire here but he did play well the last week of the season which helped us clinch. He seems like a quality guy and im happy that he still had a great time even though we didn't get him a ring.

I echo the guy above that I hope KW at least talks to Junior about 4th OF although I doubt he would be interested.

oeo
10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I like the guy, and don't think he was nearly as bad as most here say he was, but come on...

We already have Konerko and Thome who would be nice to dump...we don't need Griffey again, too. I'd love for him to win a title here, but it's just not in the best interest of the team.

kittle42
10-08-2008, 03:16 PM
I like the guy, and don't think he was nearly as bad as most here say he was, but come on...

We already have Konerko and Thome who would be nice to dump...we don't need Griffey again, too. I'd love for him to win a title here, but it's just not in the best interest of the team.

Agreed. Great guy. Liked having you here. Get back to me 5 years ago.

DumpJerry
10-08-2008, 03:24 PM
thought this was cool

http://www.nwherald.com/baseball/story.php?id=1588
Wow. Ozzie threw Ross Gload under the bus in the article when he listed the future HOFers he's managed so far.

Soxfanspcu11
10-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I also agree that I would like to have him back but I just do not see it happening. The 2009 Sox will have an outfield of Dye, Quentin, Wise maybe? Anderson? Hopefully not Swisher. Yeah, there really is no room for him. That sux.

I don't mean to hijack the thread at all but I really hope that Anderson gets more time next year. His defense is disgusting and he seems to be showing improvement at the plate.

Thanks Griffey for that throw in the tiebreaker. That was an AMAZING moment.

oeo
10-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I also agree that I would like to have him back but I just do not see it happening. The 2009 Sox will have an outfield of Dye, Quentin, Wise maybe? Anderson? Hopefully not Swisher. Yeah, there really is no room for him. That sux.

:lol:

Anderson and Wise > Swisher? Glad you're not running the team.

And even if their was an open outfield spot, I would not give it to Griffey. The only way I'd bring him back is as a DH, and even then I'd still hate it. The guy is brutal against lefties (and I mean brutal).

Foulke You
10-08-2008, 03:59 PM

I agree. The baseball fan in me would love to see Griffey come back but common sense says he isn't what we need in 2009. Junior is a slow footed aging power hitter who really should only be a DH at this point of his career. Besides, we already have a logjam in the 4th outfielder spot with Wise and Anderson next year. Griffey taking up a roster spot would force either Wise or Anderson to AAA next year and both of those players are more valuable to the 2009 Sox than Griffey would be.

slavko
10-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Junior didn't light the world on fire here but he did play well the last week of the season which helped us clinch. He seems like a quality guy and im happy that he still had a great time even though we didn't get him a ring.

I echo the guy above that I hope KW at least talks to Junior about 4th OF although I doubt he would be interested.

You're nice, I'm nice and Griffey's nice and none of us belong on a big league roster in 2009 unless we can learn how to throw a knuckleball.

cub killer
10-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Nobody puts Griffey in a corner

Hahahaha! I had a crush on Jennifer Grey back then. She was pretty sexy in that flick, coming off her performance as Ferris's bitchy sister, which I also found pretty attractive as well.

tstrike2000
10-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Griffey's probably been singing "The Time of My Life" by David Cook since the season ended.

MeteorsSox4367
10-08-2008, 04:43 PM
When I first heard on Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio that Griffey was going to get traded, I wasn't surprised. But when they said it was to the Sox, I blurted out, "Where the hell is he gonna play?"

Griffey has been one of my favorite players and his lefty swing is the swing I wish I had when I was playing Wiffle Ball as a kid. But now, I just don't see it.

Nice guy, glad he was here this year, even gave me an excuse to buy yet another Sox player t-shirt. And thanks for the throw to nail Cuddyer at the plate.

See ya in Cooperstown. By the way, Sox black is better than Reds red or Mariners blue and teal.

Soxfanspcu11
10-08-2008, 04:44 PM
:lol:

Anderson and Wise > Swisher? Glad you're not running the team.

And even if their was an open outfield spot, I would not give it to Griffey. The only way I'd bring him back is as a DH, and even then I'd still hate it. The guy is brutal against lefties (and I mean brutal).

You want Swisher back?

Glad your not running the team either Partna.

oeo
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
You want Swisher back?

Glad your not running the team either Partna.

I guess track records don't mean anything anymore. Let's just throw a couple of career minor leaguers/fourth outfielders at the wall and hope they stick. Sounds like a plan.

chisoxfanatic
10-08-2008, 05:00 PM
I hope KW gauges Junior's interest in coming back as a 4th OF. I take Junior at his word that he genuinely would be interested in coming back. I don't think money would be an issue with him.
I would too; but, then again, what would happen with BA? BA has a lot of value to this team. The only way this happens is if either Swisher or Konerko is traded.

Tragg
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Griffey's a good guy and was a great player and perhaps is still a good hitter, but we don't need him.

As for Wise, he certainly was hot for a while and tried hard, but through it all, he had an Obp of .293 for the season, which raises his career obp to .254. And he's a poor outfielder. You can't have that.

guillen4life13
10-08-2008, 05:09 PM
I think it's pretty sure that Griffey goes into the HOF as a Mariner. Maybe a Red. Definitely not a White Sox.

I'm glad Griffey had good things to say about the Sox because good publicity for the organization can never hurt when it comes to other players coming here.

However, Griffey is not what the Sox need for 2009. Again, maybe 5 years ago. Definitely 10 years ago. But not now.

Soxfanspcu11
10-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I guess track records don't mean anything anymore. Let's just throw a couple of career minor leaguers/fourth outfielders at the wall and hope they stick. Sounds like a plan.

Well, Swisher's probably not coming back anyway so it really does not matter what you and I think.

Everyone wants Figgins. And maybe since the LAA looked AWFUL in the ALDS, there could be a chance of that.

hi im skot
10-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, Swisher's probably not coming back anyway so it really does not matter what you and I think.

Yeah, I overheard Kenny say the same thing while we were both having dinner at the Olive Garden.

I'd be surprised if Swisher doesn't return...I'm not sure why you're so convinced he's gone.

Soxfanspcu11
10-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I overheard Kenny say the same thing while we were both having dinner at the Olive Garden.

I'd be surprised if Swisher doesn't return...I'm not sure why you're so convinced he's gone.

Uh, I didn't say I heard a rumor or anything, I just said that he probably will not be coming back.

Kenny has a short leash when it comes to players who have never done anything for the club and Ozzie is even worse.

Kenny and Ozzie both want to get younger and faster, not older, fatter and dyed goateier.

Paulwny
10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
The main reason Swisher will return is, it'll be hard for KW to admit he made a mistake in trading for him.

KenBerryGrab
10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Swisher is fairly young and signed to a reasonable contract.
He's not going anywhere.

hi im skot
10-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Kenny has a short leash when it comes to players who have never done anything for the club and Ozzie is even worse.

I'm not really a fan of Swisher, and it's safe to say he had a disappointing year. However, to claim he has "never done anything for the club" is just incorrect.

Would I be okay with Swisher leaving? Absolutely. Do I see it happening? Not at all. I just don't know why you're so convinced that you he's not on the team next year.

Paulwny
10-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Swisher is fairly young and signed to a reasonable contract.
He's not going anywhere.

Funny how often Swisher's contract is brought up as a reason for retaining him.
It would be cheaper for the sox to hire a clown for the clubhouse.

Soxfanspcu11
10-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm not really a fan of Swisher, and it's safe to say he had a disappointing year. However, to claim he has "never done anything for the club" is just incorrect.

Would I be okay with Swisher leaving? Absolutely. Do I see it happening? Not at all. I just don't know why you're so convinced that you he's not on the team next year.

I'm not "convinced", but if I were a betting man, which I am not, I would bet that more than likely he is not on the team come April 2009. Whether that means he is traded for somebody or whatever, I just do not see him coming back.

kittle42
10-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm not "convinced", but if I were a betting man, which I am not, I would bet that more than likely he is not on the team come April 2009. Whether that means he is traded for somebody or whatever, I just do not see him coming back.

Then they had better get something decent in return, because he plays many positions and provides good value given his contract size and status.

These things *have* to be taken into account when putting together a team that needs holes filled. Don't just look at batting average. Look at versatility and the numbers - those in the contract.

You don't just get rid of Swisher because he had a terrible year. You can take the extar money you might dump on someone with a worse contract, place it elsewhere, and be left with a decent piece in Swisher at LF, RF or 1B (hopefully not CF). He gives you options. Enough with this knee-jerk reaction.

oeo
10-08-2008, 06:55 PM

You're judging this off of what? Actually, Swisher 'probably' will be back next year.

Give me an example. When have we acquired a guy at a pretty hefty price with Swisher's track record, then let him go the next year because he had a bad season?

Kenny and Ozzie both want to get younger and faster, not older, fatter and dyed goateier.Yeah, since Swisher is by far the slowest, oldest, and fattest guy on the team. I don't even know what to say about 'dyed goateier'...is that some lame attempt at humor?

The Immigrant
10-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Anyone who picks "Soul Glo" as his intro song for two straight playoff games can do no wrong in my book. He'd make a fine first base coach. :D:

(I hope I'm not the only one who noticed his choice of music)

kittle42
10-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Anyone who picks "Soul Glo" as his intro song for two straight playoff games can do no wrong in my book. He'd make a fine first base coach. :D:

(I hope I'm not the only one who noticed his choice of music)

I only use juices and berries in my hair.

guillensdisciple
10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
For the most part, the White Sox organization has always dealt well with its past, present, and future players. Management makes a whole fuss about tradition and it shows through its treatment of past and present players.

doublem23
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM

:scratch:

You're going to have to find a source for this one.

A. Cavatica
10-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Time for a Junior appreciation thread? Or do we wait until he signs somewhere else?

I always loved Junior as a player, but I have to say -- acquiring him was probably a net loss for the Sox. It's not that Masset and Richar were a lot to give up, but Jr. probably took at-bats away from players who would have hit better, and he definitely took at-bats away from players who would have fielded better.

At least he made a good throw in the clincher. Full playoff share.

Taliesinrk
10-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Wow. Ozzie threw Ross Gload under the bus in the article when he listed the future HOFers he's managed so far.

Never say never.. I here he's fitting in well with the up-and-coming Royals team.

oeo
10-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I always loved Junior as a player, but I have to say -- acquiring him was probably a net loss for the Sox. It's not that Masset and Richar were a lot to give up, but Jr. probably took at-bats away from players who would have hit better, and he definitely took at-bats away from players who would have fielded better.

Who? Don't tell me Brian Anderson...

Even old, broken down Junior is a better hitter than Brian Anderson.

A. Cavatica
10-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Who? Don't tell me Brian Anderson...

Even old, broken down Junior is a better hitter than Brian Anderson.

Marginally, and not enough so to justify playing him in centerfield. Griffey still gets on base a lot. Anderson has as much if not more power at this stage of their careers.

Given Junior's .353 OBP (for the season) I wonder why we never tried him in the leadoff spot.

Frontman
10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm glad to see that Griff enjoyed his time in a Sox jersey. Depending on how the off-season goes; could I see a possibility of him becoming a 4th Outfielder?

Yes.

I'd be happy with a Quentin/Anderson/Dye outfield with a future HoF to back them up.

That being said, would it make sense for it to happen?

No, this is real life, not a video game. A player like Griffey would need to see live pitching every day. He can't come off the bench and hit well without it.

esbrechtel
10-09-2008, 08:38 AM
maybe he is trying to get in good with management to take Greg Walkers job :redneck

Frontman
10-09-2008, 08:59 AM
maybe he is trying to get in good with management to take Greg Walkers job :redneck

I sincerely hope not. Griffey is far too much of a nice guy for me to curse his name in the 2nd half of next season when Paulie continues to look at first pitch strikes.......

HITMEN OF 77
10-09-2008, 11:35 AM
If they won the division on Sunday, not played Monday vs Detroit or Tuesday vs the Twins and rested those 2 days instead of playing, how far would the Sox have gone in the playoffs?

oeo
10-09-2008, 11:37 AM
If they won the division on Sunday, not played Monday vs Detroit or Tuesday vs the Twins and rested those 2 days instead of playing, how far would the Sox have gone in the playoffs?

Who knows? You figure Danks would probably start Game 1, and if they win one of two in TB, it changes the entire series.

I think we could have beat TB (I mean, a few big hits and we do it anyway), but we just ran out of gas. And really, it's their own fault, because the division should have been wrapped up before they even entered Minnesota for that 3-game series.

kittle42
10-09-2008, 12:21 PM

Exactly as far as they got. The issue, I believe, was not rest or lack thereof, but talent and execution.

oeo
10-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Exactly as far as they got. The issue, I believe, was not rest or lack thereof, but talent and execution.

I disagree. The series against the Rays was very winnable. We take one out of TB (which I think Danks gives us), and the entire series is different. We certainly had our flaws, but even with them, I think we could have gotten through the Rays.

The Red Sox are a different story.

HITMEN OF 77
10-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Who knows? You figure Danks would probably start Game 1, and if they win one of two in TB, it changes the entire series.

I think we could have beat TB (I mean, a few big hits and we do it anyway), but we just ran out of gas. And really, it's their own fault, because the division should have been wrapped up before they even entered Minnesota for that 3-game series.

Thats what I was thinking. The extra days off would have gotten our pitching lined up. I think we could have beaten Boston too. We would have had home field advantage.

wxkid23
10-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Who knows if we had more rest before the playoffs. I still believe the big problem in the playoffs was execution and the streakiness of our HR or nothing offense...our bullpen was going to be a ? mark no matter what. I have no problem having a power loaded lineup considering where we play but we need to at least have a table setter like even a broken down pods was in the 2005 playoffs. If this team didn't hit the long ball they struggled and that needs to change.

BainesHOF
10-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm glad to see that Griff enjoyed his time in a Sox jersey. Depending on how the off-season goes; could I see a possibility of him becoming a 4th Outfielder?

Yes.

I'd be happy with a Quentin/Anderson/Dye outfield with a future HoF to back them up.

That being said, would it make sense for it to happen?

No, this is real life, not a video game. A player like Griffey would need to see live pitching every day. He can't come off the bench and hit well without it.

I agree. That's how Fisk went downhill so quickly. Lamont, in my opinion, screwed him on purpose.

Against my better judgement, I'd like to see Griffey return. I just like watching one of the greatest players of all-time.

Let's not get seduced by Anderson's good defense. He's terrible as a hitter. He can't hit the curveball and he's awful in the clutch.

Nellie_Fox
10-12-2008, 02:00 AM
I'd like to see Griffey return. I just like watching one of the greatest players of all-time.I'd like to see Griffey retire before he embarrasses himself. He won't, however, as long as someone will give him a contract for next year. It's just too hard for world-class athletes to acknowledge when the end has come. They always think it will come back.

BainesHOF
10-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I'd like to see Griffey retire before he embarrasses himself. He won't, however, as long as someone will give him a contract for next year. It's just too hard for world-class athletes to acknowledge when the end has come. They always think it will come back.

Perhaps, but one's competitive nature is what made them great in the first place. I think it's more two things: the desire to play the game you love and the paycheck. I don't blame anyone for taking the money as long as someone wants to give it to you.

Brian26
10-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Griffey didn't look as terrible at the plate as he did in the field at times, and quite frankly he made a few decent plays in CF one he started getting back into the swing of things and playing everyday. I think he might have another year or two left in him as a DH. He'll do ok as long as he gets regular AB's.