PDA

View Full Version : Believe it !

SOXPHILE
10-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry, I know it's been discussed here before numerous times, but I'm again shaking my head in amusement. I had to run a quick errand at my local Jewel to pick up a couple of things, and as I walked through the book and magazine aisle, I noticed huge displays, for three different 2008 Cubs books: The TribCo's Believe It, one from the Sun-Times, I think it was called "The Story of the 2008 Cubs" with the sub line about the "chase for the pennant", and "following the historic season of the 2008 Chicago Cubs", and lastly, some sort of kids book, Know Your Cubs. There were a ton of these things all over the racks, and people must of thought I was nuts, because I stopped for a moment, shook my head, and just started laughing. Just reminds me again how idiotic the media is when it comes to the blue ones. (Not that I would expect any, but I didn't see any books about the White Sox "historic" 2008 season, and would hope there wasn't any. But, they did accomplish the same thing the Cubs did this year, so why not ? ) What would these things be worth now, 25 cents ? Again, it behooves TribCo and other media outlets to maybe wait 'till the team actually goes to and wins the World Series before putting these things to press. I guess they didn't learn their lesson from 2003, "The Year of Dustiny".

IceczMan
10-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Are you sure that the book, Know Your Cubs, was just for children? :D:

turners56
10-07-2008, 08:59 PM

I'm sure most Cubs fans will have a hard time recognizing most players in that book.

ChiSoxGirl
10-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry, I know it's been discussed here before numerous times, but I'm again shaking my head in amusement. I had to run a quick errand at my local Jewel to pick up a couple of things, and as I walked through the book and magazine aisle, I noticed huge displays, for three different 2008 Cubs books: The TribCo's Believe It, one from the Sun-Times, I think it was called "The Story of the 2008 Cubs" with the sub line about the "chase for the pennant", and "following the historic season of the 2008 Chicago Cubs", and lastly, some sort of kids book, Know Your Cubs. There were a ton of these things all over the racks, and people must of thought I was nuts, because I stopped for a moment, shook my head, and just started laughing. Just reminds me again how idiotic the media is when it comes to the blue ones. (Not that I would expect any, but I didn't see any books about the White Sox "historic" 2008 season, and would hope there wasn't any. But, they did accomplish the same thing the Cubs did this year, so why not ? ) What would these things be worth now, 25 cents ? Again, it behooves TribCo and other media outlets to maybe wait 'till the team actually goes to and wins the World Series before putting these things to press. I guess they didn't learn their lesson from 2003, "The Year of Dustiny".

Hey, that's *our* book's title!!!! What the hell, TribCo????

SOXPHILE
10-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry, I was wrong. The Trib book is This Is The Year. Believe It is the 2005 White Sox book. :redface: In all my laughter and amusement, I got confused. Not an uncommon thing with me.

ChiSoxGirl
10-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm sorry, I was wrong. The Trib book is This Is The Year. Believe It is the 2005 White Sox book. :redface: In all my laughter and amusement, I got confused. Not an uncommon thing with me.

Phew!!!! Glad you were wrong!

I was at Dick's Sporting Goods in Schaumburg on Sunday looking for my Sox Championship shirt (a whole other story) and they had half a dozen or so copies of This is the Year on the Customer Service counter at the main entrance. I asked the girl there, who was a Sox fan, if they planned on selling that book on clearance for $1.00, one penny for every year that franchise has gone without a World Series Championship. She laughed, and said she told her manager that they should just throw the books out. :wink:

Medford Bobby
10-07-2008, 09:57 PM

I was at Dick's Sporting Goods in Schaumburg on Sunday looking for my Sox Championship shirt (a whole other story) and they had half a dozen or so copies of This is the Year on the Customer Service counter at the main entrance. I asked the girl there, who was a Sox fan, if they planned on selling that book on clearance for $1.00, one penny for every year that franchise has gone without a World Series Championship. She laughed, and said she told her manager that they should just throw the books out. :wink:

or if they ever have a any new washing machines to sell...:o:

Cuck the Fubs
10-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Would it happen to be the Dick's by Woodfield? I was in there on Saturday morning looking for a shirt as well....I asked why there was one tiny section of Sox stuff and mounds of Cubs stuff...the girl ( manager ) all dressed in black said if she had her way it would all be in the dumpster.

I asked about hats, after getting shot down on shirts...the guy wearing his Harden jersey said all sold out...I then asked for brooms....then asked if the shirt with # 1 and japanese writing on it said sweep....and I did inquire about the plan for all those books:tongue:

chisoxfanatic
10-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I honestly believe that, even if they have a season like 2003 or this year, they will continue writing such books before they do anything, because they KNOW they will sell. Cub fans have been notorious for putting the cart before the horse, and is there any indication that will change? NO! Until the sheepish fanbase collectively changes their persona, we will continue to see the stupidity (such as what you have posted).

Oh, well. At least OUR books are worth more than a coffee mug coaster.

kjhanson
10-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I asked about hats, after getting shot down on shirts...the guy wearing his Harden jersey said all sold out...I then asked for brooms....then asked if the shirt with # 1 and japanese writing on it said sweep

Haha, if I'm in a retail store in a similar situation this weekend, I'll be sure to follow suit.

michned
10-08-2008, 12:26 AM

:rolling:

Ziggy S
10-08-2008, 01:53 AM

Give the Trib guys credit. The season was historic for sure, though not the way the faithful wanted.

Plays Angry Chair by Alice in Chains on acoustic guitar

cub killer
10-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Do we have any books other than Sox And The City? White Sox Nation has to get on the ball and create more books and media to get the word out on who Chicago's real team is. How 'bout a book chronicling 2008 for both teams, showing how in the end, the White Sox ended up being more successful.

We can't keep letting the media make people think that the scrubs have a glory season just because they were over .500, while the Sox' World Series title didn't matter. If the media had it their way, they would put an asterisk next to the 2005 World Series' records, or just delete all the stats altogether.

Ziggy S
10-08-2008, 02:37 AM
http://www.amazon.com is your friend.

esbrechtel
10-08-2008, 07:59 AM
There are a ton of white sox books....a great book (while not solely a white sox book) is When Chicago Ruled Baseball. It tells the story of the only all Chicago World Series in 1906. Great read for any baseball history buffs!

gregoriop
10-08-2008, 08:29 AM
White Sox Nation

Please don't start using this term.

Juice16
10-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I saw some of these books in the check out line at Dominicks and they were turned with the face toward the wall.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I saw some of these books in the check out line at Dominicks and they were turned with the face toward the wall.

Just like children made to stand in the corner when they've been bad.

"The 2008 Chicago Cubs - just wait til your father gets home!"

cub killer
10-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Why not, 'cause the Red Sox have it bogarted? Ok, if the scrubs have cubdom and the Red Sox have RSN, then what are we called?

Iwritecode
10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Why not, 'cause the Red Sox have it bogarted? Ok, if the scrubs have cubdom and the Red Sox have RSN, then what are we called?

Sox fans?

chisoxfanatic
10-08-2008, 03:52 PM
We are the White Sox Army

:churrosarmy:

MarySwiss
10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Do we have any books other than Sox And The City? White Sox Nation has to get on the ball and create more books and media to get the word out on who Chicago's real team is. How 'bout a book chronicling 2008 for both teams, showing how in the end, the White Sox ended up being more successful.

We are the White Sox Army

Yep, White Sox Army works. The only part of my World Series DVD that I don't like is when Jeannie what's-her-face refers to us as "White Sox Nation."

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Why not, 'cause the Red Sox have it bogarted? Ok, if the scrubs have cubdom and the Red Sox have RSN, then what are we called?Why do we have to come up with some trendoid name?

Sox fans?:thumbsup:

Eddo144
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Why do we have to be called something? "Red Sox Nation" and "Cubdom" make it sound like the fans are more important than the team. Can't we just be "White Sox fans" (no capitalization)?

Soxfanspcu11
10-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Slight correction, the Sox actually lasted 1 more game than the scrubs (2 if you count the Playoff but I don't so let's just say 1).

So, if the cubs get 3 different books detailing their MAGICAL 2008 Season, than the Sox must deserve some sort of building or something celebrating theirs.

cub killer
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Yep, White Sox Army works. The only part of my World Series DVD that I don't like is when Jeannie what's-her-face refers to us as "White Sox Nation."

Jeannie Zelasko. Zelasko means "flat iron" in Polish. She's mildly attractive, but I do prefer when Fox had Keith Olbermann hosting the games. They should replace Zelasko with Ken Rosenthal, he knows more about baseball.

Anyway, I did a search and I've seen White Sox Nation used way more than White Sox Army. I even saw a Soxdom quote by Marrioti.

I think there should be a vote on this.

guillensdisciple
10-08-2008, 08:48 PM

We can't keep letting the media make people think that the scrubs have a glory season just because they were over .500, while the Sox' World Series title didn't matter. If the media had it their way, they would put an asterisk next to the 2005 World Series' records, or just delete all the stats altogether.

I am now writing: The 2008 White Sox, still and always will be, one better then the cubs,,,, until they win a championship, then they will be two.

Might be a tad bit long for a title, but I am hoping they don't realize that when I send it in for publication.

ChiSoxGirl
10-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Would it happen to be the Dick's by Woodfield? I was in there on Saturday morning looking for a shirt as well....I asked why there was one tiny section of Sox stuff and mounds of Cubs stuff...the girl ( manager ) all dressed in black said if she had her way it would all be in the dumpster.

I asked about hats, after getting shot down on shirts...the guy wearing his Harden jersey said all sold out...I then asked for brooms....then asked if the shirt with # 1 and japanese writing on it said sweep....and I did inquire about the plan for all those books:tongue:

That's the one- in Streets of Woodfield. The overabundance of Cubs stuff- all the way down the main aisle, almost to the back of the store, while the Sox stuff was on all of two racks- was nauseating.

Cuck the Fubs
10-08-2008, 09:02 PM
That's the one- in Streets of Woodfield. The overabundance of Cubs stuff- all the way down the main aisle, almost to the back of the store, while the Sox stuff was on all of two racks- was nauseating.

Stuff like that really pisses me off :angry::angry::angry:

All I wanted was a T shirt & a damn hat :mad:

ChiSoxGirl
10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Stuff like that really pisses me off :angry::angry::angry:

All I wanted was a T shirt & a damn hat :mad:

Same here. I didn't think I was asking for much when I went in there looking for Sox Division Championship shirts. But if I didn't know better, I'd think I went in there asking for a lung.

Daver
10-08-2008, 09:07 PM
I have added a vote to the thread, winner take all.

Bucky F. Dent
10-09-2008, 07:04 AM
To answer the poll question, we're White Sox Fans!