PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Dempster

Lukin13
10-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Since Jake frickin' Peavy (the best pitcher in the NL, who is under contract through 2012) got his own thread I think that the unrestricted free agent, Ryan Dempster deserves his.

The only reasons are I think Kenny might slightly be interested in Dempster is:

#1 He keeps the ball in the ballpark (save your Kemp joke for another time or place).

#2 He is a risk coming off his first full season starting and should sign either for a discount or a shorter contract. The words "discount" and "shorter contract" are pretty much non-existent in the starting pitching market these days.

If KW is going to pay for a starter this offseason I think Dempster might be worth consideration.

Dempster does walk batters, but he seems to have command. Obviously, in the AL he won't be able to pitch around as many hitters, but I think the key to pitching for the White Sox is keeping the ball out of Sections 156-103.

Another thought... What is Dempster's Elias classification? He might not even cost KW picks.

turners56
10-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Since Jake frickin' Peavy (the best pitcher in the NL, who is under contract through 2012) got his own thread I think that the unrestricted free agent, Ryan Dempster deserves his.

The only reasons are I think Kenny might slightly be interested in Dempster is:

#1 He keeps the ball in the ballpark (save your Kemp joke for another time or place).

#2 He is a risk coming off his first full season starting and should sign either for a discount or a shorter contract. The words "discount" and "shorter contract" are pretty much non-existent in the starting pitching market these days.

If KW is going to pay for a starter this offseason I think Dempster might be worth consideration.

Dempster does walk batters, but he seems to have command. Obviously, in the AL he won't be able to pitch around as many hitters, but I think the key to pitching for the White Sox is keeping the ball out of Sections 156-103.

He will get clobbered in the AL, case and point.

His stupid high fastball will only work in the NL for so long. I say stay away from him.

BTW, I think you meant Loney, not Kemp.

kevingrt
10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
His salary is going to be enormous as well. I would never pay $12 million a season for him. Keep him away from the Cell too.

Mohoney
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
His salary is going to be enormous as well. I would never pay $12 million a season for him. Keep him away from the Cell too.

That's what I was thinking, too. I think Dempster is going to get a big payday.

turners56
10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
That's what I was thinking, too. I think Dempster is going to get a big payday.

Most likely from the Cubs.

TheOldRoman
10-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Dempster is trash. He had a fluke year, and sure enough, he turned into a pumpkin in the playoffs. Because of the pitching market (and a lot of really dumb GMs), he will get a huge contract somewhere. He will get at least 3 years and $40 million. Signing him to that deal will be a Juan Pierre sized disaster.

getonbckthr
10-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Dempster will either be a Cub or New York bound.

turners56
10-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Dempster will either be a Cub or New York bound.

He'll probably end up on the Mets. He can choke with them next year as well.

oeo
10-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Dempster will never come to close to what he did in 2008 ever again.

areilly
10-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Why would he start now?

kittle42
10-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Why would he start now?

Boo-yah!

Lukin13
10-07-2008, 09:40 PM
12,000,000 per for three years... would be an steal and half.

Especially, if it doesn't cost the Sox compensation picks.

Dumpster pitched in a hitters heaven, and squeezed out a sub 3 era.

His sinker lends itself to our ballpark.

Fluke or not, National League or not, you cannot add ANY starting pitching that is under the age of 35 or so, for less than 10 million a season.

If you guys are satisfied with entering a spring training with Clayton Richard locked in at #5 with virtually no one anywhere close to being a backup plan.... you are risking ruining what could be a winning season, before it even starts, if injury or setback were to occur.

Hell, half of this board (and 99% of the average fanbase) want Javy gone... so then you need to add two starters! You want to pay CC 7/130? Derek Lowe 3/45? Garland 4/55?

While Dempster definitely comes with some risk he has to be a steal at the numbers that are getting tossed around.

StillMissOzzie
10-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I think that Ryan Dumpster's year was a fluke, but it's the kind of fluke that the Cubs like to reward as a sign to their fan base. I for one would take a pass, and I think that he'll hit the jackpot with "hometown discount" deal of maybe 4 yrs/$50M from the Cubs.

SMO
:gulp:

kevin57
10-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I think Dempster is one of those "blue bleeders." He may go elsewhere, but he will definitely give the Cubs a big 'discount' to stay here. In any case, I suspect he despises the Sox. He won't come here.

getonbckthr
10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
12,000,000 per for three years... would be an steal and half.

Especially, if it doesn't cost the Sox compensation picks.

Dumpster pitched in a hitters heaven, and squeezed out a sub 3 era.

His sinker lends itself to our ballpark.

Fluke or not, National League or not, you cannot add ANY starting pitching that is under the age of 35 or so, for less than 10 million a season.

If you guys are satisfied with entering a spring training with Clayton Richard locked in at #5 with virtually no one anywhere close to being a backup plan.... you are risking ruining what could be a winning season, before it even starts, if injury or setback were to occur.

Hell, half of this board (and 99% of the average fanbase) want Javy gone... so then you need to add two starters! You want to pay CC 7/130? Derek Lowe 3/45? Garland 4/55?

While Dempster definitely comes with some risk he has to be a steal at the numbers that are getting tossed around.
I think Clayton Richard at $330,000 will be just fine.

Domeshot17
10-08-2008, 12:27 AM
I would take Dempster over Richard. I guess I don't get the Richard love. The guy had an era over 6 as a starter this year and he had 1 good outing in the playoffs against a predominantly lefty lineup which struggles against lhp. I like him as a reliever very much, if he is in our rotation we won't be playoff bound.

The downside about Dempster is he isn't what we need. He is not a number 1 SP. He fits right in with our current rotation of a cluster of number 2s and 3s. A rotation that is built for a long season and not a short series. I want a true number 1. A guy I know can match up against any SP in the AL and still win. A guy who if that game is 2-1 and we just took that 1 run lead is going to step up and hold it. Danks is getting there, but he is too young to put that on. Buehrle just doesn't have the pure stuff to ever be there, and Floyd is talented but probably too weak mentally to be there. All of these guys are great in the middle, I want someone that can be put in front of them all. If we going to spend 12 mil on Dempster I would rather spend 20 on CC (and I know he got hit in the playoffs, but I think for the most part that was him throwing on 3 days rest for 3 weeks in a row).

Ziggy S
10-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Sign a thirty-two year old pitcher coming off a career season? Joe Montana to Jerry Rice.

ChiSoxFan81
10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Stay far away from Dempster. He obviously had a career year. There is next to no chance of him coming near what he did this year. He'll get his payday, and whoever signs him will regret it.

LoveYourSuit
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
I think Clayton Richard at $330,000 will be just fine.

Funny you are the same guy that wanted to gut our entire ML Roster for Peavy :tongue:

You are correct. I think Kenny should just keep under the radar on SPs and find a few washed up diamonds out there like he did with Gavin. Clayton to me right now would not be a bad #5 option. And there will always be your old journeyman veterans tryingt to ressurrect their career out there where Kenny can take a flyer on (Loaiza, El Duque, Eldred, etc type guys).

Even with Contreras out, we did not lose at the end because of lack of starting pitching. Our bullpen and offense need a lot more work right now. Speed, Speed, Speed!!!