PDA

View Full Version : Coco Crisp

gr8mexico
10-07-2008, 05:07 PM
What would it take to get Coco Crisp? Is Nick Swisher for Coco Crisp possible? If the Sox could get Coco they should then push hard for Hudson. A combo of Orlando Hudson & Coco Crisp on the top of the order would be great.

turners56
10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
What would it take to get Coco Crisp? Is Nick Swisher for Coco Crisp possible? If the Sox could get Coco they should then push hard for Hudson. A combo of Orlando Hudson & Coco Crisp on the top of the order would be great.

Many people on this board dislike Coco Crisp and think of him as nothing more than another Jerry Owens with a bit more power. To some degree, that is correct. Some think that his skills have diminished or he took PEDs back in his Cleveland days. Whatever the case may be, he's not the worst player the Sox can get. He certainly isn't the best either.

Tragg
10-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Crisp has a career obp of .331 with marginal power and a 5% walk rate. That stinks.
We gave up 3 top prospects for Nick Swisher. Crisp wouldn't command one top prospect.

thedudeabides
10-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Coco Crisp? Already? I thought it would be at least 24 hours till the season passed until we saw this one.

Lukin13
10-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I was under the impression that Crisp was making 8 Million per for at least a few more years; that isn't the case, he is signed through '09 at 5.75 with a team option at 8 for 2010.

He definitely isn't free for the hauling (as I incorrectly said in the other '09 thread) with only one year and >6mil due to him.

He has great range and is very surehanded in CF. His arm blows but this is the case with the majority of the speedy centerfielders. With Dye in right, our centerfielder's range is much more important than his arm.

Outside of '06 he has been pretty steady around .340 OBP which is a tad lower than I would call acceptable for an American League leadoff hitter.

If the Sox are indeed interested a second baseman or third baseman that can leadoff I think Coco would plug in nicely at the two hole. But again, if we are staying with all of power hitters we really need "big on base guys", not necessarily speedsters ahead of our sluggers, and Crips doesn't fit that bill perfectly.

Sockinchisox
10-07-2008, 05:52 PM
No it wouldn't, Coco Crisp sucks.

turners56
10-07-2008, 05:56 PM

He was actually decent this year while splitting time with Ellsbury.

.283/.344/.407 and going 20/27 in stolen bases.

What's weird is that Crisp has played way worse than his Cleveland years after moving to a hitter's park. I don't get it...:scratch:

Mohoney
10-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't think another outfielder is a priority right now. We're looking at 2B and 3B needing to be filled, and possibly another infield bench spot, and possibly a backup catcher, all before we bring in another outfielder.

turners56
10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't think another outfielder is a priority right now. We're looking at 2B and 3B needing to be filled, and possibly another infield bench spot, and possibly a backup catcher, all before we bring in another outfielder.

I think another outfielder is probably the 3rd or 4th priority right now.

Mohoney
10-07-2008, 06:01 PM
I think another outfielder is probably the 3rd or 4th priority right now.

If Hall stays, if Uribe stays, and if Getz takes a utility role, then you're right. If Hall and Uribe both leave, those spots need to be filled before the outfield.

turners56
10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
If Hall stays, if Uribe stays, and if Getz takes a utility role, then you're right. If Hall and Uribe both leave, those spots need to be filled before the outfield.

You think that BA will start in center next year or something?

tick53
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Many people on this board dislike Coco Crisp and think of him as nothing more than another Jerry Owens with a bit more power.

I'm one of them.

Billy Ashley
10-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Crisp is so much better than Owens it doesn't even bear discussing.

That said, Swisher is a much better player. He's not a good defensive center fielder but he's an excellent defender in left... On top of that he was incredibly unlucky this season. I suspect White Sox fans will really love Swisher next season.

getonbckthr
10-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Would you trade Gio, Sweeney and DLS for Crisp?

NLaloosh
10-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I would rather have Crisp than Anderson for next year. But, I certainly wouldn't give up much for him. He's not that much better.

KenBerryGrab
10-09-2008, 12:00 PM
His arm is actually worse than Johnny Damon's. Can we get over the infatuation with Crisp?

Zisk77
10-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I would rather have Crisp than Anderson for next year. But, I certainly wouldn't give up much for him. He's not that much better.

I wouldn't. BA has potential to get better. Coco is only going to get worse with age.

CashMan
10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't. BA has potential to get better. Coco is only going to get worse with age.

Stop now, there are too many Anderson haters on the board to even argue this. I think Anderson should start though.

btrain929
10-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't mind him if he's plan G or H along with Willy Taveras. I just don't want them being plan A and B.

NLaloosh
10-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Crisp is 2 1/2 years older than Anderson. He's a switch hitter, a better base stealer and has hit for a much higher B.A. and OBP. He's been a proven player in the league for years.

BA is probably a bit better defensively and might have a little more power. He's proven nothing.

kittle42
10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Stop now, there are too many Anderson haters on the board to even argue this. I think Anderson should start though.

I disagree. There is a group of people who take every opportunity to support the handing of the starting CF job to Anderson. Then there are realists. There are a few haters, sure, but being realistic about a player's value, what he has shown, and value relative to other possible players at his position is not being a hater.

hi im skot
10-09-2008, 01:03 PM

/close thread

whitesox901
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
every offseason we always discuss Coco,

how about Coco_no

oeo
10-09-2008, 02:35 PM
What's weird is that Crisp has played way worse than his Cleveland years after moving to a hitter's park. I don't get it...:scratch:

Less games against the White Sox? :dunno:

hi im skot
10-09-2008, 02:36 PM
how about Coco_no

I prefer "Good Vibrations."

jabrch
10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I can only speculate that the folks heavily pushing for Crisp would also push for Nick Punto, Ryan Garko or any of a number of "sox killers" who really aren't very good.

I'll pass - we can do about as well in-house.

Zisk77
10-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Crisp is 2 1/2 years older than Anderson. He's a switch hitter, a better base stealer and has hit for a much higher B.A. and OBP. He's been a proven player in the league for years.

BA is probably a bit better defensively and might have a little more power. He's proven nothing.

I didn't say Brian has proven anything. I said he has better POTENTIAL. While coco may only be 2 1/2 years older then Brain he has played far more major league baseball. He is what he is and maybe less since no more PED's.

If Brain Played a full year he would hit for more power and steal about 15-20 bases. Batting average who knows? Defensively he is at least as good and probably better with a better arm.

I read a lot where Brian can't hit a curve ball and maybe he can't, but this season is no way to judge that seeing how he played sporadically and almost EXCLUSIVELY hit against left handed pitching. How did Crede and JD against lefties this year?

Now for the record I'm not a BA basher or FOBA. I would prefer the sox get a proven speedy CF but I don't really see one available. I think If we improve ourselves at other positions BA will be more than adequate in CF and may even surprise us. Now if BA is in CF, Getz at 2b, Fields at 3b we might be in trouble.

kittle42
10-09-2008, 04:01 PM
How did Crede and JD against lefties this year?

Dye hit .287 with 11HRs.

Zisk77
10-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Dye hit .287 with 11HRs.

Seriously? Because JD didn't hit a single HR against a lefty until like July (they kept bringing that stat up during telecasts), he must of really stepped it up the last couple of months. I know he hit 2 of Kazmir...Crede on the other hand :(:.

Point is many people strugle against lefties. I know I'd rather face a RH over a LH any day.

guillensdisciple
10-09-2008, 06:29 PM
His arm might blow but this guy would be one hell of a ball player to put in there for some speed infusion and great fielding. I like it, he would come cheap too. These are the kind of moves I expect Kenny to pull, extreme under the radar yet very succesful while no one is watching type moves.

That is the worst line of grammar ever used.
Ahh well, I can't get spell check to work.

turners56
10-09-2008, 08:12 PM

BA has a better arm. But Crisp has more range.

champagne030
10-09-2008, 09:14 PM
BA has a better arm.

By far.

But Crisp has more range.Nope. He's faster, but has less range.

NLaloosh
10-10-2008, 10:54 AM
You do realize that as of right now, we're comparing a guy that can hit major league pitching to a guy that can't.

I'm a BA fan and don't want to get rid of him just yet. But, if he doesn't start proving that he can hit next year, why keep him?

I give him one more year.

Mohoney
10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
You think that BA will start in center next year or something?

I honestly think that they are going to throw Swisher in CF again, with Quentin in LF and Dye in RF. All of them are still under contract, as is Anderson, and I wouldn't be shocked if Wise was brought back as well.

Lefty34
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Alright enough with the trading Nick Swisher trade talk. It's not going to happen, nor should it, because it would be stupid to trade him away after one down year. Seriously guys, have a crack at common sense once in awhile will you? Maybe right after you look at some of his career numbers, perhaps?

kittle42
10-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Alright enough with the trading Nick Swisher trade talk. It's not going to happen, nor should it, because it would be stupid to trade him away after one down year. Seriously guys, have a crack at common sense once in awhile will you? Maybe right after you look at some of his career numbers, perhaps?

Trade Swisher talk will die down as the winter comes. It's knee-jerk.

Look at the reactions during the season. After every game - "DFA Thome. DFA Konerko. DFA [insert name of player]. Juan Uribe is horse****! Juan Uribe should be the starting 3B next season!"

No one has perspective.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
No one has perspective.:thumbsup:

soxfanreggie
10-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I think I'll pass on this one. I'd rather focus on Roberts, Figgins, and/or Hudson.

Tragg
10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
You do realize that as of right now, we're comparing a guy that can hit major league pitching to a guy that can't.

I'm a BA fan and don't want to get rid of him just yet. But, if he doesn't start proving that he can hit next year, why keep him?

Crisp is a below par hitter himself. And we'd have to give up something to get Crisp.
Anderson hasn't had an unabated spell in CF for more than a few weeks (in contrast to Ozzie-style players like the horrendous Jerry Owens) and he primarily hits against lefties, when he's a better hitter against righties. He should have been left alone in 2006...had he been, we might have found out a few things.

EuroSox35
10-10-2008, 09:43 PM
.280 this year and .280 career average, I don't see Anderson being anywhere close to that. I was one of his biggest fans, but he looked absolutely lost in the playoffs. Maybe it's Walker, maybe he just sucks, but he actually looked like he regressed/a Sept callup at the plate

We could do a lot worse then Crisp, decent average, switch hitting, can play CF, and has some speed. Swisher will probably end up being the starter, he'll hit a few more HR's then Crisp, possibly a few more walks, if that, but otherwise I don't see him being better at all (other then fitting in with this slow 'let's hit a 3r HR' mode)