PDA

View Full Version : TCQ, Danks, & Floyd Questions

Sox4ever77
10-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Will TCQ, come close to hitting 37hrs again next year?

Will Danks and Floyd continue their development as quality starters?

KenBerryGrab
10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Will TCQ, come close to hitting 37hrs again next year?

Will Danks and Floyd continue their development as quality starters?

Yes and yes!

guillen4life13
10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
I think TCQ is going to hit 40+ homers and hit around .290 with a .380 OBP. I think he will win MVP next year.

Danks will progress and hopefully Floyd will also.

Next year, I think Clayton Richard is going to turn a lot of heads also.

NLaloosh
10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I predict Quentin to hit 50 homers with 160 rbi's and bat .335.

Danks and Floyd will both win atleast 20. Richard wins 15 and the game 7 World Series clincher for the Sox.

Sox4ever77
10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Ha ha very funny. If these three guys can't continue their development or prove that 08 wasn't a fluke, the Sox will be in big trouble next year. Especially if one of the older, power hitters, PK, Thome, Dye or gutless Javy are traded.

ShoelessJoeS
10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I think Carlos will have a good season next year...But he's going to need to have whomever bats behind him in the order to have a good year as well.

I don't think Quentin will be given very many good pitches to hit next year, especially with RISP.

CashMan
10-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't think Quentin will be given very many good pitches to hit next year, especially with RISP.

If the team stays as it is(HR or nothing), then you are right. I think it depends who hits 1 and 2 next year for the Sox.

Sox4ever77
10-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I think Carlos will have a good season next year...But he's going to need to have whomever bats behind him in the order to have a good year as well.

I would be surprised if Carlos, even if healthy for the entire season, hits more than 30 hrs next year. Just a feeling. Certainly hope I'm wrong.

CashMan
10-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I would be surprised if Carlos, even if healthy for the entire season, hits more than 30 hrs next year. Just a feeling. Certainly hope I'm wrong.

Wasn't he like a 5 tool (did somebody say tool) prospect in Arizona? I thought the only problem was that he was always hurt. I could be wrong, I thought he was.

JermaineDye05
10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Wasn't he like a 5 tool (did somebody say tool) prospect in Arizona? I thought the only problem was that he was always hurt. I could be wrong, I thought he was.

Quentin was Arizona's #1 prospect for a while, he was supposed to come up and sort of save the organization. He was their prized possession, a highly touted outfielder who could not only play could defense but also be a force at the plate. However after Justin Upton and Chris Young emerged and of course the ridiculous contract to Eric Byrnes, there was no space for Quentin. I don't know if he was a 5 tool player, cause Quentin isn't the most fleet of foot but he can steal you around 10 bases a year. He can however hit for power, average and play good defense and we have seen that he has an above average arm in the outfield. 4 out of 5 aint bad :cool:.

sullythered
10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I saw absolutely nothing from Carlos Quentin this season that supports your theory.

hi im skot
10-07-2008, 01:38 PM

The league already made adjustments to him; he made adjustments to his approach and continued to be successful.

Not too worried about that...

guillen4life13
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I think Quentin is going to be one of the premier middle of the order hitters in the game. Part of the next class along with Hamilton, Fielder, Howard, and Cabrera.

I do agree that he will really benefit from having a good hitter behind him. Dye did it in '08. Who will do it in '09?

EndemicSox
10-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Quentin's wrist worries me, and I'm not too happy that he was rushing back/Sox were allowing the rushing for the playoffs, but I expect he'll be fine and continue to be one of the most feared hitters in the game. If the wrist injury has a negative effect on his already extremely violent swing, then I'll temper those expectations a bit.

I'm confident that Danks will improve on his '08 season, as the guy has everything a lefty needs to stick around for a long time in MLB. If he gets stronger and can consistently hit 91-95mph like he was in the Blackout/playoff game, he has the makings of an ace.

Floyd's saber numbers worry me a bit, but whenever I watch him pitch, those worries are put to ease. I don't think he is an ace, but he's going to be a solid #2 or #3 pitcher for as long as him arm allows.

Credit to Kenny Williams for bringing these three on-board. Just imagine the Sox future without them!

Konerko05
10-07-2008, 01:57 PM
If all three return completely healthy, I see no reason why they wouldn't continue their development.

Hopefully Danks and Floyd respond well to the heavy workload this year.

Sox4ever77
10-07-2008, 03:47 PM
I saw absolutely nothing from Carlos Quentin this season that supports your theory.

That's the key phrase. THIS SEASON. Pitchers adjust, sometimes hitters can't. Next year is a different story. If Carlos' power numbers go down, who will make up the difference?

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Carlos has such a viloent swing...I hope that wrist heals damn good because that swing really scares me about his health...other than that I don't think Carlos' season was a fluke this year...I only expect better and beyond....

Danks has all he needs...and Gavin just need to get his control down and throw some damn strikes...they'll be good....

I want Richard to progress some more as well...I really have good feelings about him....

turners56
10-07-2008, 05:05 PM

They had all season to adjust to him and he proved that none of it worked for a sustained period of time. What makes you think it will change this offseason? Like Alexei, Quentin is a very smart hitter capable of making quick adjustments.

Jerome
10-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm kinda worried about Danks and Floyd next year with all the innings they pitched - riding the staff hard in 05 led to higher ERAs in 06. But they are young guys and I'm not that worried.

wxkid23
10-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Quentin will hit the same or better #'s next year if he is healthy.

Im higher on Danks than Floyd. Danks is a possible ace while Floyd is a strong #2/#3. Floyd is more dependent on how well his curve is game to game while Danks is developing several stronger pitches to go along with what could be a mid 90's FB if he keeps getting stronger.

Paulwny
10-07-2008, 05:24 PM
They had all season to adjust to him and he proved that none of it worked for a sustained period of time. What makes you think it will change this offseason? Like Alexei, Quentin is a very smart hitter capable of making quick adjustments.

Quentin and Alexei will both be entering their 2nd yrs as staters after successful 1st seasons. During the off season pitchers discuss with each other the success they've had against certain batters, looking for the holes in a swing.
Not having a good 2nd season is known as the Sophmore Jinx.
Back in the 50's, pitchers from different teams discussing batters was called the Pitchers' Union.

Lefty34
10-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Wasn't one of TCQ's problems with his former organization that he could not stay all that healthy? If that is the case I see nothing, other than injuries, that would keep him from putting up such great numbers as he did this year.

WhiteSox5187
10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Well, injuries are one thing, but I see no reason why there would not be some sort of set back. I don't think you win 17 and 15 games respectively based on a fluke, nor do I think you hit 36 HRs from April thru September based on a fluke either, remember, those guys were expected to put up those kind of numbers when they first came up. But, we'll see.

chisoxfanatic
10-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Danks and Floyd have both had some "big game" experience this year down the stretch that I think only will benefit them for next year. Behind Buehrle, I see them as solid #2 and #3 starters.

TCQ was a hitting machine his entire time here up to his injury, so I think he'll continue as long as he heals well.

35th and Shields
10-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Wrist injuries can be devastating to players careers. We've all heard that his injury wasn't really serious but any injury to the wrist can really take away some power, just ask Derrek Lee

chisoxfanatic
10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Wrist injuries can be devastating to players careers. We've all heard that his injury wasn't really serious but any injury to the wrist can really take away some power, just ask Derrek Lee
If that is the case, that's more motivation to get some more speed on this team so that they do not need to rely on the long ball so much. We need an extra guy or two who isn't afraid to create havoc the opposing pitcher on the bases. Sometimes getting a walk or a single then stealing a base can be just as effective as hitting the home run. It changes the approach of the game from not only the pitcher's standpoint, but the positioning of the fielders as well.

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Did not slow down Longoria. Didn't he hit three home runs in his first game back from his broken wrist?

I've heard that people think Lee's problem is not in his wrist, but his head. He's afraid of the wrist getting hurt again.

Sox4ever77
10-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Well, injuries are one thing, but I see no reason why there would not be some sort of set back. I don't think you win 17 and 15 games respectively based on a fluke, nor do I think you hit 36 HRs from April thru September based on a fluke either, remember, those guys were expected to put up those kind of numbers when they first came up. But, we'll see.

In the pre-steroid days, baseball was littered with guys who hit a lot of homers one year and within a few years was out of baseball or turned into a journeyman type player. Kittle's first two years he hit over 30 hrs and I don't think he broke 25 hrs after that.

oeo
10-08-2008, 12:12 AM
That's the key phrase. THIS SEASON. Pitchers adjust, sometimes hitters can't. Next year is a different story.

Baseball is a game of adjustments. They don't just happen from season-to-season but from week-to-week and game-to-game. Quentin wouldn't have put together an MVP-like season without making adjustments.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2008, 12:18 AM
In the pre-steroid days, baseball was littered with guys who hit a lot of homers one year and within a few years was out of baseball or turned into a journeyman type player. Kittle's first two years he hit over 30 hrs and I don't think he broke 25 hrs after that.His first two years were also the only years in which he had more than 400 AB. And to pick nits, he did hit 26 in his third year (in 379 AB)

Sox4ever77
10-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Baseball is a game of adjustments. They don't just happen from season-to-season but from week-to-week and game-to-game. Quentin wouldn't have put together an MVP-like season without making adjustments.

Baseball has also seen it's one year wonders. Not saying Carlos is a one year wonder but to say you can count on his 30 plus HR is premature.

Tragg
10-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Quentin was a highly regarded prospect from day 1; the only concern has been his health. So he lives up to his potential, and now he's a 1 year wonder?
I'll take my chances on Carlos Quentin.

35th and Shields
10-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Did not slow down Longoria. Didn't he hit three home runs in his first game back from his broken wrist?

I've heard that people think Lee's problem is not in his wrist, but his head. He's afraid of the wrist getting hurt again.

Carlos isn't Longoria and by the same token he isn't Derrik Lee. I think Carlos will have another great season next year but I'm not going to declare him to get 50 home runs after having a wrist injury that required surgery.

Metalthrasher442
10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey Quentin would have stayed healthy all season if he didn't get so frustrated after missing a pitch.