PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory Draft Picks

Sell Jerry Sell!
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Does anybody know the type of Free Agents we have (type A, B...) because I'm figuring we'll be losing Cabrera, Crede and Griffey at a minimum and was curious as to what type of draft picks, if any, we would get as compensation?

esbrechtel
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I know we will get Type A from OC....other than that I have no idea

jabrch
10-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Does anybody know the type of Free Agents we have (type A, B...) because I'm figuring we'll be losing Cabrera, Crede and Griffey at a minimum and was curious as to what type of draft picks, if any, we would get as compensation?

We won't be offering Griffey arbitration - we won't take his option either. Cinci will be paying the buyout. So no compensation there. OC will be a Type A. Crede probably is a Type A also, but could slip into Type B. I'm OK offering Uribe arbitration if we want him back as a Utility player for about 4mm - but not sure what BA will classify him as.

oeo
10-07-2008, 10:36 AM
We won't be offering Griffey arbitration - we won't take his option either. Cinci will be paying the buyout. So no compensation there. OC will be a Type A. Crede probably is a Type A also, but could slip into Type B. I'm OK offering Uribe arbitration if we want him back as a Utility player for about 4mm - but not sure what BA will classify him as.

Kidding? Crede isn't going to be either. He gone, we get nothing for him. I'm just glad we don't have to worry about him and his 50-year-old back.

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2008, 10:38 AM
We won't be offering Griffey arbitration - we won't take his option either. Cinci will be paying the buyout. So no compensation there. OC will be a Type A. Crede probably is a Type A also, but could slip into Type B. I'm OK offering Uribe arbitration if we want him back as a Utility player for about 4mm - but not sure what BA will classify him as.As I understand the process, no way is Crede a type A, since he's missed most of the last two seasons. Besides, I'd be surprised if the Sox offer him arbitration.

Flight #24
10-07-2008, 11:02 AM
As I understand the process, no way is Crede a type A, since he's missed most of the last two seasons. Besides, I'd be surprised if the Sox offer him arbitration.

Why? Offer him arb at roughly his '07 salary. Even if he accepts, he won't get much more if any more given that he hasn't finished either of the past 2 years, and if he does, ~$6M for a year isn't a killer type of deal. So worst case scenario, you have an all-star caliber 3B for half to a full season at $6M.

Plus, IMO there's no way he accepts, because he'll find a better deal (and rumors are that he already has). So you'll get whatever comp he brings.

btrain929
10-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I saw a website that broke down the Elias rankings at the end of the year, and Cabrera is a Type A, Crede is nothing, and Uribe was the last ranked 2b/ss/3b for a B pick. So if we offer him arb and he declines, if he signs anywhere else we'll get a B pick for him (2nd rounder I believe).

Edit: here it is.

http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com/2008/08/projected-elias-rankings.html

oeo
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Why? Offer him arb at roughly his '07 salary. Even if he accepts, he won't get much more if any more given that he hasn't finished either of the past 2 years, and if he does, ~$6M for a year isn't a killer type of deal. So worst case scenario, you have an all-star caliber 3B for half to a full season at $6M.

Pass. Time to cut ties with Crede and his geezer back.

Tragg
10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I saw a website that broke down the Elias rankings at the end of the year, and Cabrera is a Type A, Crede is nothing, and Uribe was the last ranked 2b/ss/3b for a B pick. So if we offer him arb and he declines, if he signs anywhere else we'll get a B pick for him (2nd rounder I believe).
I doubt he declines arbitration (4.4 million?) if offered. We'd have to pay a utilty guy 4.4 million for a year and then get a class B pick...doubt it's worth it.
We clearly need to offer Cabrera and hope he declines.

btrain929
10-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I doubt he declines arbitration (4.4 million?) if offered. We'd have to pay a utilty guy 4.4 million for a year and then get a class B pick...doubt it's worth it.
We clearly need to offer Cabrera and hope he declines.

Well it depends on if he thinks he can start somewhere else and get a 2 year/8-10 mil deal. He might.

PS here's the link I was talking about.

oeo
10-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Well it depends on if he thinks he can start somewhere else and get a 2 year/8-10 mil deal. He might.

It should be mentioned that those are not official, but just a guess.

Tragg
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM

He was wailing like a baby at the prospect of being cut early this season; it's hard to see how someone who could command the type of deal you suggest would freak out if he's released....or really, it's hard to see how such a player would be cut and not traded for at least something.

I thought Uribe was okay as SS; bad as a 2B or a 3B; he would be fine as a utility guy, but that's over double what you should pay a utility infielder.

itsnotrequired
10-07-2008, 11:33 AM

BA has no say in this matter.

seventyseven
10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm OK offering Uribe arbitration if we want him back as a Utility player for about 4mm - but not sure what BA will classify him as.

Uribe can be had for much, much less.

jabrch
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
BA has no say in this matter.

Oops - I knew that. Not sure why I said BA.

Elias...