PDA

View Full Version : Today's Tribune

SOXPHILE
10-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Fine journalism strikes again in this mornings' Tribune. Poor article placement by the Tribsters first off. On the front page of the playoff section, showing Griffey making the final out, the geniuses in the Tower decided to run with Rick Morrissey's column under the picture. The column which is approx 75% about the Cubs. I don't have a problem with him writing it, but couldn't the Tribune have put, I don't know, an entirely Sox related article on the front page, and Morrissey's column on page 3 ?

Also, Freddy Mitchell lets us know that "many Sox fans showed a lack of class by booing " as the Rays celebrated the clincher on the field. Uh..Sherlock Mitchell, maybe it is classless, but I've seen many MANY a baseball games when the visiting team clinched, and the fans were booing, and I never heard anyone refer to them as classless. Also, wasn't that booing I heard during the NLDS games 1 & 2 (especially 2) at The Urinal last week ? What about the booing I heard following last year's NLDS game 3, as the Diamondbacks celebrated ? I don't recall anyone at TribCo saying those fans were "classless". They were just "showing their frustration", and their "passion" because "they've been waiting for 100 years".

ChiSoxFan81
10-07-2008, 09:35 AM
LOL. Is he kidding? Of course you're going to boo when a team clinches on your field. Just like you boo when their lineup is announced and when they come up to the plate. They are the enemy. It's not like the whole crowd mercilessly booed for 10 minutes either. It was what you would normally expect, and then turned into cheers for the White Sox and their season. I tip my cap to the Rays, they were the better team. But I wouldn't stand idly by as they celebrate on our field.

esbrechtel
10-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Also, Freddy Mitchell lets us know that "many Sox fans showed a lack of class by booing " as the Rays celebrated the clincher on the field. Uh..Sherlock Mitchell, maybe it is classless, but I've seen many MANY a baseball games when the visiting team clinched, and the fans were booing, and I never heard anyone refer to them as classless. Also, wasn't that booing I heard during the NLDS games 1 & 2 (especially 2) at The Urinal last week ? What about the booing I heard following last year's NLDS game 3, as the Diamondbacks celebrated ? I don't recall anyone at TribCo saying those fans were "classless". They were just "showing their frustration", and their "passion" because "they've been waiting for 100 years".

I thought the Morrisey article was fine because it basically said who would have thought both teams would be done already (it was more cub bashing than anything with the mention of It's Gonna Happen and all of that jazz) Calling us classes however REALLY upset me it was not like the crowd threw beer all over the field...They booed for 1 minute and then cheered for Bobby and left

oeo
10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I thought the Morrisey article was fine because it basically said who would have thought both teams would be done already (it was more cub bashing than anything with the mention of It's Gonna Happen and all of that jazz) Calling us classes however REALLY upset me it was not like the crowd threw beer all over the field...They booed for 1 minute and then cheered for Bobby and left

Wasn't even for a minute. 30 seconds max before the cheering started. Whatever, I guess you have to get some kind of dig at Sox fans. I mean, while the best fans in the world across town were booing their team at Wrigley, then leaving early, the Sox fans stayed till the end and cheered their asses off.

Woofer
10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I was at the game last night, I did not hear many boos. It was mostly a groan of disappointment, then a steadily increasing cheer for our teams year. The Tribunes coverage of this years Sox playoff games were a huge farce.

PatK
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I was at the game last night, I did not hear many boos. It was mostly a groan of disappointment, then a steadily increasing cheer for our teams year. The Tribunes coverage of this years Sox playoff games were a huge farce.

The Trib had coverage?

NLaloosh
10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I was at the game,too. The fans just wanted the Rays off the field so that they could cheer for the Sox and thank them.

It wasn't about booing them.

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 10:09 AM
The booing was very minimal last night.

We were on our feet cheering the home team all through the 8th and 9th. Unlike a different fan base which sat there like they were all in a drug-induced coma..........................

cub killer
10-07-2008, 08:11 PM

We were on our feet cheering the home team all through the 8th and 9th. Unlike a different fan base which sat there like they were all in a drug-induced coma..........................

Hahahahahahaha! There's no question we have the more passionate fan base. I don't want to hear a single cub fan say theirs are better because they have more tourists from Iowa. Sox pride was strong this year, and I hope we bring it north during the crosstown classic next year. Roll the Blackout north for the crosstown showdown.

EuroSox35
10-07-2008, 08:40 PM
It was about as classy and good mannered as I could expect. Very quickly there was applause for the Sox season. Didn't even see any problems or bad behavior with the tons of people all over the concourse/ramps

DrCrawdad
10-07-2008, 10:58 PM

You're right. I was there last night and the booing was very short-lived. In fact, it may have even been directed a bit at the crappy last AB by KG Jr.