PDA

View Full Version : Can you imagine how terrible Carlos Quentin feels?

Whitesoxfan23
10-07-2008, 04:11 AM
I don't blame him for getting injured. I realize that it was his fault, but it was such a freak accident. The guy is such a team player, and I am sure he feels awful to know that the Sox would have had a much better shot, had he not gotten injured. I look forward to a full season of Carlos Quentin next season.:smile:

Billy Ashley
10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
I don't blame him for getting injured. I realize that it was his fault, but it was such a freak accident. The guy is such a team player, and I am sure he feels awful to know that the Sox would have had a much better shot, had he not gotten injured. I look forward to a full season of Carlos Quentin next season.:smile:

It's always been known that he can flat out rake. The only weakness he's had in his young career thus far has been remaining healthy. In some ways, the best thing that can be said of Carlos Quentin's season is not the awesome power numbers but that aside from one freaky incident he remained free from injury, more specifically he didn't suffer any chronic types of injury.

If he can stay healthy he can be deadly. 2008 Showed plenty of reason to expect both in 2009.

anewman35
10-07-2008, 07:44 AM

I dunno, it's really hard to say for sure that he would have helped - much of our offense in the series came from Wise, and he doesn't even play if Carlos is around. I don't think you can say for sure that Carlos would have won us the series or anything.

Alexei4president
10-07-2008, 07:59 AM
:(:i think he would have helped def but really how do you hurt yourself smackin your back that was some freak accident

cws05champ
10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
I dunno, it's really hard to say for sure that he would have helped - much of our offense in the series came from Wise, and he doesn't even play if Carlos is around. I don't think you can say for sure that Carlos would have won us the series or anything.
We're not just talking about the seires. You don't think if we had Quentin the whole month of Sept we wouldn't have clinched before a one game playoff, and then have been able to set our rotation for this series? And Quentins mere presence in the 3 hole makes a difference in how they pitch to the middle of the lineup

daveeym
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
We're not just talking about the seires. You don't think if we had Quentin the whole month of Sept we wouldn't have clinched before a one game playoff, and then have been able to set our rotation for this series? And Quentins mere presence in the 3 hole makes a difference in how they pitch to the middle of the lineupExactly, we probably don't see Javy until game 4. Ozzie probably doesn't call him out either. So then we would just be dealing with Javy being Javy rather than pouty, hurt feelings beach boy Javy being Javy. Q going down was major.

ChiSoxFan81
10-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I can't blame Quentin for our early exit, because without him, we wouldn't have been sniffing the playoffs anyways. With him, I think we realistically had a shot at the pennant. My only hope now is that his wrist will heal properly and he can come back next season and look like the same guy.

jabrch
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't blame him for getting injured.

You don't? He smashed his own wrist against a bat. Who do you blame?

spiffie
10-07-2008, 10:26 AM
You don't? He smashed his own wrist against a bat. Who do you blame?
He couldn't foresee himself getting injured. That was just a case of fire and passion getting the best of someone and having a terrible unforeseen result. These kind of statements just show there are some terrible Sox "fans" out there.

Dan Mega
10-07-2008, 11:22 AM
He couldn't foresee himself getting injured. That was just a case of fire and passion getting the best of someone and having a terrible unforeseen result. These kind of statements just show there are some terrible Sox "fans" out there.

I TOTALLY agree with you Spiffie.

daveeym
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Pfft, it was a bonehead move and it cost the sox dearly. Very dissapointed in Quentin over that move. Why's his injury any different than a pitcher breaking his hand by punching a locker? That would get a guy reamed here.

I'm still glad to have him, can't wait to see him do it (the mvp numbers) again next year and at least he seems the type to have learned a lesson.

NLaloosh
10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Hopefully, he learned a lesson. He's still young.

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Pfft, it was a bonehead move and it cost the sox dearly. Very dissapointed in Quentin over that move. Why's his injury any different than a pitcher breaking his hand by punching a locker?I'm really tired of this comparison, because there is no comparison between the two. Since almost everyone who punches a wall or locker ends up injuring his hand, it's a forseeable outcome of that action. However, guys smack their bat barrel out of frustration on an almost daily basis, and this is the first time I've EVER heard of anyone getting injured doing it, thus it was NOT a forseeable outcome. The two are not at all alike.

jabrch
10-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm really tired of this comparison, because there is no comparison between the two. Since almost everyone who punches a wall or locker ends up injuring his hand, it's a forseeable outcome of that action. However, guys smack their bat barrel out of frustration on an almost daily basis, and this is the first time I've EVER heard of anyone getting injured doing it, thus it was NOT a forseeable outcome. The two are not at all alike.

It doesn't have to be a forseeable outcome for it to be his fault. People have to own up to the outcomes of their actions. The OP said he wasn't blaming Carlos. I don't see how you can't. I'm not saying we should hate him. Not saying we should cut him. Not saying I am not looking forward to next year. But this is a clear cut case where there is only one person to blame for Carlos missing time - and that is Carlos.

kingpin_rcs
10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
My biggest concern now is that his wrist heals properly. I mean he has a screw in there! Will he have full range of motion? Will it be susceptible to injury again?

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
My biggest concern now is that his wrist heals properly. I mean he has a screw in there! Will he have full range of motion? Will it be susceptible to injury again?Those screws are usually removed once healing is complete, and a healed bone is no more likely to break than one that was never injured.

Frankfan4life
10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
My biggest concern now is that his wrist heals properly. I mean he has a screw in there! Will he have full range of motion? Will it be susceptible to injury again?See Evan Longoria.

soxinem1
10-07-2008, 01:07 PM
**** happens, hopefully he will be smarter next time.

Sure, he might have helped a little more if he had been able to stay in the line up, but too many failures and other injuries, IMHO, negate TCQ's injury.

Logan falling into a ravine since mid-July, Vazquez totally sucking from June-on, Griffey doing nothing, Crede being hurt, Linebrink and Jenks going down, no speed, no defense.

He shouldn't feel too bad.

Hopefully in 2009 we'll have a real lead-off man and he can have 90 RBI by the break!!!

rdwj
10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Hard to blame Carlos for a freak accident. I'd be willing to bet that many of the people that are blaming him are the same that ones that complain about the team not having any "fire" and whine about Buehrle not being allowed to slide on the tarp during rain delays.

Personally, I'm glad that Carlos is who he is. His passion carried this team for a good portion of the year. While I'm sure he'll refrain from hitting his bat in the future, I can't really bring myself to "blame" him for the injury.

guillensdisciple
10-07-2008, 01:45 PM
He doesn't feel terrible at all, he now knows that post season baseball is like in Chicago, also he has the insurance of knowing he will finally be starting on a team next year due to his production this year.

Not bad from a guy who had many uncertainties coming into the year.

daveeym
10-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm really tired of this comparison, because there is no comparison between the two. Since almost everyone who punches a wall or locker ends up injuring his hand, it's a forseeable outcome of that action. However, guys smack their bat barrel out of frustration on an almost daily basis, and this is the first time I've EVER heard of anyone getting injured doing it, thus it was NOT a forseeable outcome. The two are not at all alike.
I'm really tired of this loser apologist attitude. They are the same. They're boneheaded immature moves made in anger. And no, I don't see many players banging the side of their hand into their bats in anger. The closest thing I'll even give you is smacking/grabbing a bat open palmed. He karate chopped his bat and he's clearly no black belt or Chuck Norris.

Edit: 18 Seconds in (http://www.truveo.com/411-Quentin-injury/id/2760728104) While I completely agree with endemic below, if watching that doesn't make you a little upset or dissapointed and make you think what might have been I don't know what to say. I'm not going to crucify him like swisher or konerko got this year, but I'm going to call a spade a spade. It was a boneheaded move. Losing his cool for 1 second there led to a drastic reduction to the team's chance at success.

EndemicSox
10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Nevertheless, it was a fluke accident, and while there is no doubt he is angry with himself, a fluke is a fluke. He will not do it again in the future, and I'm hoping he comes back with a venegeance. I'm not looking at him in a lesser light because of it, and nor should any of us...

LITTLE NELL
10-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Quentin going down hurt this club quite a bit. The Sox had a winning record every month except September when he hurt himself. If he had'nt hurt himself Im sure we would have turned the 12-15 record in Sept around to probably 15-12. We would have clinched 3 or 4 days earlier and our pitching staff would have been better rested heading into the 1st round against the Rays. That means Danks or MB would have started game 1 instead of Vasquez. Carlos, next time you strike out just pull your hair out or scream but don't hit yourself with a bat.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I dunno, it's really hard to say for sure that he would have helped - much of our offense in the series came from Wise, and he doesn't even play if Carlos is around. I don't think you can say for sure that Carlos would have won us the series or anything.His presence gives JD and whoever is in the 2 spot better pitches. :tongue: Just having him in the lineup makes a big difference.

Imagine (- = part of season skill wise)
1. Cabrera - 2nd half season
2. AJ - 1st half season
3. Quentin - 4EVER
4. Dye - 4EVER
5. Konerko - after the fall of Quentin
6. Thome - ehh, spurts
7. Crede - 1st quarter/half season
8. Alexei - 4EVER (switch w/ Crede to add speed between the slowness?)
9. Swisher - that one part of the season

1 word UNSTOPPABLE! :bandance:

nasox
10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
His presence gives JD and whoever is in the 2 spot better pitches. :tongue: Just having him in the lineup makes a big difference.

Imagine (- = part of season skill wise)
1. Cabrera - 2nd half season
2. AJ - 1st half season
3. Quentin - 4EVER
4. Dye - 4EVER
5. Konerko - after the fall of Quentin
6. Thome - ehh, spurts
7. Crede - 1st quarter/half season
8. Alexei - 4EVER (switch w/ Crede to add speed between the slowness?)
9. Swisher - that one part of the season

1 word UNSTOPPABLE! :bandance:

Imagine if Babe Ruth batted 9 times and Cy Young himself started every game. We'd win every time! :rolleyes:

**** happens.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Imagine if Babe Ruth batted 9 times and Cy Young himself started every game. We'd win every time! :rolleyes:

**** happens.Hey... I was just saying if out players played consistanly and didn't get hurt... we'd have the talent to go all the way. Quentin and Crede going down really hurt the team.

Crede > Uribe... Quentin >>>>>>> Wise.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey... I was just saying if out players played consistently and didn't get hurt... we'd have the talent to go all the way. No, actually what you said was if every player stayed healthy and had career years they'd be unstoppable. I think almost any team could say that.

LITTLE NELL
10-08-2008, 05:30 PM
No, actually what you said was if every player stayed healthy and had career years they'd be unstoppable. I think almost any team could say that.
Nellie
Im not sure about the 1970 White Sox as being unstoppable

Rdy2PlayBall
10-08-2008, 07:27 PM
No, actually what you said was if every player stayed healthy and had career years they'd be unstoppable. I think almost any team could say that.No, if all these players played the way they were expected to (besides Quentin & Alexei cause we didn't really know) this team would be unstoppable. Konerko isn't supposed to suck, neither is Swisher. If Crede didn't have his back problems he'd play like his usualy amazingness... Where do you get career years out of that? You know that this team could have been very good if Crede didn't get hurt and Konerko and Swisher didn't have opposite career years. I know you like to find ways to prove people wrong, but you know that this team could have very well came out winning it all. :scratch:

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Nellie
Im not sure about the 1970 White Sox as being unstoppable
That's why I said "almost any team." I was very fortunate in not having to witness a single moment of the 1970 White Sox, or even be aware of it until a year later.

No, if all these players played the way they were expected to (besides Quentin & Alexei cause we didn't really know) this team would be unstoppable. Konerko isn't supposed to suck, neither is Swisher. If Crede didn't have his back problems he'd play like his usualy amazingness... Where do you get career years out of that? You know that this team could have been very good if Crede didn't get hurt and Konerko and Swisher didn't have opposite career years. I know you like to find ways to prove people wrong, but you know that this team could have very well came out winning it all. :scratch:The original post was picking the period of time when each player was the hottest, and then extending that over the whole season. All I said was that if almost any team could get all of their players best performances to continue over the whole year, they would cerainly be formidable. And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass.

champagne030
10-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Those screws are usually removed once healing is complete, and a healed bone is no more likely to break than one that was never injured.

Sorry if this has been already mentioned, but this isn't the usual "screws in the bone". It was an external fixation and that's far less invasive than than an internal fixation ( the reason he was almost ready 1 month later), which requires screws internally inserted into the bone. The external fixation just stabilizes the the bone without limiting all range of motion in other areas of the arm.