PDA

View Full Version : Which White Sox Dvd's do you recommend?

Whitesoxfan23
10-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Since I live in Oklahoma, I am going to have to order them off the internet. Are the White Sox pride, and World Series collection dvd's really good? Can anyone give me a description of what they are like? I may order both of them. Thank you.

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Been awhile since I've watched either, gonna have to watch them myself in about 2-3 months to alleviate my depression. Sox Pride was narrated by Michael Duncan Clarke? I think that's his name. It was ok, lots of interviews with players and things of that nature if I remember right. I would def. recommend the WS DVD's though for those days where winter doesn't seem like it will ever end.

BNLSox
10-07-2008, 03:00 AM
The 2005 World Series DVD is just plain awesome. It does a really good job of capturing the moments and all of the, for lack of a better term, magic of that season and post season. Honestly purchasing it is a no-brainer. Definitely do yourself the favor!

RockJock07
10-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Yeah, the one with all the WS games and the clinchers vs. Red Sox and the Angels. It's great, almost $80 but way worth it! It was from A/E if I recall.

Whitesoxfan23
10-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Are you talking about the White Sox world series collection dvd? I found it on Amazon.com new for like 24.00.

mccoydp
10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Are there any DVDs for sale that chronicle the 1993 or 1983 teams? I started watching baseball 8 years after the Winning Ugly Sox played. I thought I read that some VHS tapes were out, but I may have been mistaken. I'm looking for some older stuff.

turners56
10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
The 2005 World Series DVD is just plain awesome. It does a really good job of capturing the moments and all of the, for lack of a better term, magic of that season and post season. Honestly purchasing it is a no-brainer. Definitely do yourself the favor!

After you watch that for awhile, you'll notice that it's horribly produced. Some moments didn't really matchup...

Like in the beginning of the ALDS, they showed the jets flying over Angel stadium, not the Cell.

turners56
10-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Are you talking about the White Sox world series collection dvd? I found it on Amazon.com new for like 24.00.

Hmmm. Interesting. I've been dying to relive some of those games in whole.

beasly213
10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Get the 2005 World Series Film. Great production and interviews.

"Sox Pride" Is not a very good DVD. Lower production quality and akward narration by Hawk.

turners56
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Get the 2005 World Series Film. Great production and interviews.

"Sox Pride" Is not a very good DVD. Lower production quality and akward narration by Hawk.

That alone should make it interesting.

esbrechtel
10-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Soxpride does a better job at showing what happend during the offseason and season itself also does a pretty good job showing the playoffs...However, it does not show all of the key moments from the world series itself (Uribe's diving grab in the stands was not good enough to make it apparently)

The WS dvd does a better job at showing good moments from the playoff and World Series with only a brief look at the season

johnr1note
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Soxpride does a better job at showing what happend during the offseason and season itself also does a pretty good job showing the playoffs...However, it does not show all of the key moments from the world series itself (Uribe's diving grab in the stands was not good enough to make it apparently)

The WS dvd does a better job at showing good moments from the playoff and World Series with only a brief look at the season

I agree with your summary. But I think both videos, when viewed together, form a better overall picture of the season.

The MLB WS video is great production value-wise, has player interviews interspersed, and covers the WS highlights better than "SoxPride."

"Soxpride" has more highlights from the regular season, and focuses on the Cubs interleague games and some other key games that the WS video either ignores or passes over. I agree with esbrecthel that SoxPride is not as good a video if your looking for series highlights.

i also find the menu function on the SoxPride video clunky and hard to use.

The WS DVD collection (where you get all 4 WS games in their entirety plus the clinching games from the ALDS vs Boston and the ALCS vs Angels) is great, but the special features were not what I expected. I also wish we got every playoff game in its entirety like the Red Sox 2004 collection provided.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2008, 12:46 PM
MCCO:

The 1993 season highlight tape is called "Good Guys and Winners Wear Black". The 1983 season highlight tape is called "Winnin' Ugly : The Story of the 1983 Chicago White Sox."

You might find them on ebay or amazon.com

Just FYI, I have both along with the season highlights from 1981, 1982, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1992, 2000, 20001, 2003, 2004, 2005.

For some reason the Sox didn't produce highlight tapes for the 1994, 1996 and 2006 seasons.

Lip

mccoydp
10-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Lip:

Thanks for the info. I'll hunt around for the 1993 and 1983 videos.

MHOUSE
10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I got the 2005 WS DVD for Christmas 2005. It's pretty good for a quick watch (a little over an hour), but they splice player interviews into replays of key moments which is kind of annoying. The interviews are great, but I'd rather see Uribe go into the stands in one single shot instead of cutting to half the roster in between to say how they saw it, lol. Other than that, it's a great DVD. I pop it in once in a while to alleviate depression about one thing or another, not just the Sox. I've been thinking about getting the whole WS collection to see the games in their entirety. I was a nervous wreck the first time around so it'd be nice to appreciate them a little more fully.

Gavin
10-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I have the box set with the clincher alds, clincher alcs, and all ws games + bonus dvd. I have watched it just once and I figure with my youth I should either sell it due to my ADD or keep it for when I'm older.

If anyone's interested in buying my box set, shoot me a PM, I could use the cash.

PaleHoser
10-09-2008, 10:57 PM
If you're considering digging deep into the archives, I recommend "Chicago White Sox: A Visual History" hosted by Jean Shepherd. It was shot in 1987 at Comiskey Park.

You'll recognize his voice since he was the writer/narrator of "A Christmas Story".

I remember they showed it on the Jumbotron at Comiskey Park during the nine hour rain delay date with the Texas Rangers in August, 1990. Takes me back there every time I watch it.