PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the Season

Lip Man 1
10-07-2008, 12:10 AM
"I've got to do probably a better job, of getting some players in here that can do some of the little things..." -- Kenny Williams to Comcast Sports Chicago.

Preach on brother Kenny...preach on!

Lip

WhiteSox5187
10-07-2008, 12:12 AM
While I ripped every move he made this past off season, Kenny did a hell of a job fixing a team that was a complete mess in '07. If he makes the moves necessary, we're a force to be reckoned with in '09!

munchman33
10-07-2008, 03:16 AM
Ozzie's been saying that for three years now. At least it seems like Kenny's finally on board. 2009 might be our year....

MrRoboto83
10-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Screw speed the Sox need more power, I want to see a 300+ homerun hitting team next year.

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Screw speed the Sox need more power, I want to see a 300+ homerun hitting team next year.:wooty::rolling::worship:I'm totally down with this Tade. :popcorn:<--Eagerly awaiting you being torn a new one. HAHAHAHA And I think we just need to re-sign the entire 2005 roster and try that one again. Carl Everett, Pods, Shingo, Hermanson, Blum; the whole she-bang. 2005! Joe CREDE!!!!!!! Grinders!

MrRoboto83
10-07-2008, 04:13 AM
:wooty::rolling::worship:I'm totally down with this Tade. :popcorn:<--Eagerly awaiting you being torn a new one. HAHAHAHA And I think we just need to re-sign the entire 2005 roster and try that one again. Carl Everett, Pods, Shingo, Hermanson, Blum; the whole she-bang. 2005! Joe CREDE!!!!!!! Grinders!

Seriously though think about this, what if everyone in your lineup hits over 30 HR. I want to literally see a team slug their way to a championship, that way I don't have to hear about all this hitting guys over and doing all the small things. I want a team to do all big things. If a team could hit 350 HR in a season, and basically do nothing else, would that be enough?

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Seriously though think about this, what if everyone in your lineup hits over 30 HR. I want to literally see a team slug their way to a championship, that way I don't have to hear about all this hitting guys over and doing all the small things. I want a team to do all big things. If a team could hit 350 HR in a season, and basically do nothing else, would that be enough?I could completely see all 350 being solo shots and scoring 351 runs on the season.

kittle42
10-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Seriously though think about this, what if everyone in your lineup hits over 30 HR. I want to literally see a team slug their way to a championship, that way I don't have to hear about all this hitting guys over and doing all the small things. I want a team to do all big things. If a team could hit 350 HR in a season, and basically do nothing else, would that be enough?

Didn't the Tigers have this philosophy in the early '90s?

MrRoboto83
10-07-2008, 04:28 AM
I could completely see all 350 being solo shots and scoring 351 runs on the season.

I believe if you put all the right sluggers together a team could win a championship by hitting .250 as a team but hitting 320 HRs. Now of course you would still need a good pitching staff.

Didn't the Tigers have this philosophy in the early '90s?

The 93 Tigers scored 899 Runs but only hit 178 HRs.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/player_search.cgi?search=1993+tigers

soxfanatlanta
10-07-2008, 04:33 AM
"I've got to do probably a better job, of getting some players in here that can do some of the little things..."--KW

Captain Obvious would be proud.

ode to veeck
10-07-2008, 09:01 AM

to put it simply, no, it won't, (remember the '82 brewers who hit nearly 30 a man, or the A's team that lost to Kirk Gibson)

need a better bull pen, a starter to replace Contreras if he's dones, and better ability to manufacture runs, not just HRs

JNS
10-07-2008, 09:12 AM
"I've got to do probably a better job, of getting some players in here that can do some of the little things..." -- Kenny Williams to Comcast Sports Chicago.

Lip

Nice to see that he "gets it." but he's said this before and then gets all fluttery when he sees another banger available. Seeing as Cabrera seems to be a one season guy, he needs to revamp the top of the order - lead-off and the 2 hole - with guys who are good defensively, and who can bunt, sac, steal a base every now and then, and SCORE FROM 2nd ON A SINGLE WITH LESS THAN 2 OUTS! Can Alexi fill one of those holes? Almost certainly.

I think KW gets caught up in what a lot of GMs get caught up in: modeling the ball club to the ballpark. Red Sox GMs made that mistake for decades and the team went nowhere. Epstein molded an all-round good team (notwithstanding the huge increases in payroll) and they have been a force to be reckoned with ever since. KW understands that but he needs to find the guys - easier said than done as he himself points out.

Related to this is the issue of the infield. If Alexi is to be the starting shortstop, I don't think it is advisable to have Fields AND Getz as the other two starters. This amounts to a total revamp of the infield and might create a leadership problem - Cabrera has those leadership qualities no matter what else your opinion of him is, and if he is to leave via free angency, we can't replace him with AND the other 2 slots with inexperienced people. Alexi will need a little help out there.

jabrch
10-07-2008, 09:20 AM
I still don't believe a word KW says when he talks to the media. He isn't honest with them - and has little reason to be so.

I sure doubt he swings his sail around all the way. Maybe he pulls it in a bit to grab some fresh wind - but I think we will see much of the same type of squad next season.

This team made the playoffs. It isn't broken. What's he going to fix exactly?

NLaloosh
10-07-2008, 09:21 AM

Yeah, that works real well against bad pitching.

However, when they say that good pitching beats good hitting, it's true. That's when a team needs to be able to finagle a run or two across the plate somehow. Speed and executing fundamentals are the way to do that.

The Sox have almost no players like that. They don't need a team of them but if they could add 3 it would make for a very nicely balanced team.

btrain929
10-07-2008, 09:22 AM

Lip

When did he say this, Lip? Was it an interview after Game 4?

oeo
10-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I sure doubt he swings his sail around all the way. Maybe he pulls it in a bit to grab some fresh wind - but I think we will see much of the same type of squad next season.

I agree that we'll see the same type, but not due to lack of trying to change. It's just the fact that as the team currently stands with contracts and recent performance of a lot of those guys with the contracts, we don't have enough of movable pieces for a complete overhaul.

Kenny knows he needs a leadoff hitter because he's been trying to acquire one for the last two offseasons. I think he realizes that we can't put AJ in the #2 hole again, either.

Will we see a lot of homeruns again next year? You bet...but Kenny will try his best to build a top of the order that can get set the table for the big boppers.

voodoochile
10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Related to this is the issue of the infield. If Alexi is to be the starting shortstop, I don't think it is advisable to have Fields AND Getz as the other two starters. This amounts to a total revamp of the infield and might create a leadership problem - Cabrera has those leadership qualities no matter what else your opinion of him is, and if he is to leave via free angency, we can't replace him with AND the other 2 slots with inexperienced people. Alexi will need a little help out there.

I agree. I think they need to fill one of those two slots (and my vote is for 2B) with an experienced player who can bat at the top of the lineup. I'd give the 3B job to Fields and hope he doesn't get injured again, but sign Uribe as the backup IF/emergency 3B replacement if Fields blows up again.

Then you look for a 5th starter (Lowe?) and start thinking about what to do in CF. If you can make Swish a part of the trade to acquire a CF then great. I don't think he'd fair well as the super sub next year. He won't get the bats behind PK, TCQ, Dye and whoever they acquire for CF that he did in Oakland. If not, I wouldn't be shocked to see Swish back in CF on opening day next year with BA and Owens as the BU OF. But, Wise made such an impression they might keep him around and try to trade some of the others. Too many AAAA OF on this team right now. If they can't find takers, they need to cut their losses and let them go.

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Screw speed the Sox need more power, I want to see a 300+ homerun hitting team next year.
Some facts to consider from this season:
Of the players who placed in the top five in MLB for home runs (five were tied for fourth with 37), only four were on playoff teams (Howard, Manny, Braun and TCQ). If you extend the number to all the guys who had the ten most home runs (twenty seven players total), 11 were on playoff teams in October.
Of the top ten batting average guys in MLB this year, only ONE (Pedroia) was in the post-season
Of the top ten ERA leaders in MLB this year, five were in the post season (Sabathia, Daisuke, Dempster, Sheets, and Hamels).

I'm sorry, but just pounding out the ball does not do it. Nor does having the league leaders. This is a team sport which depends on pitching more than anything else to get to the top. A good pitching staff can get around the power hitters. Also, keep in mind a full time player will get around 650 at bats, if he gets 35 home runs, what happens the other 615 times at bat? Home run hitters tend to strike out more often than non-home run hitters (Babe Ruth held the record for most strikeouts until Sosa replaced him on the list).

Pitching, pitching, pitching. I know it's not as exciting to watch, but that's the truth.

NLaloosh
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't think there is ANY chance that Getz and Fields are starting for the Sox next year. I think Fields is traded. I think Getz, if on the team, is a bench player.

Kenny needs to add speed and good fundamental players and he needs a leadoff hitter and a # 2 hitter. About the only positions to do that with are 2b, 3b and CF.

I'm pretty sure there will be new players from outside the organization in atleast 2 of those positions.

It would be awesome not to see our first 2 hitters regularly go down while seeing 4 pitches or less combined.

voodoochile
10-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Some facts to consider from this season:
Of the players who placed in the top five in MLB for home runs (five were tied for fourth with 37), only four were on playoff teams (Howard, Manny, Braun and TCQ). If you extend the number to all the guys who had the ten most home runs (twenty seven players total), 11 were on playoff teams in October.
Of the top ten batting average guys in MLB this year, only ONE (Pedroia) was in the post-season
Of the top ten ERA leaders in MLB this year, five were in the post season (Sabathia, Daisuke, Dempster, Sheets, and Hamels).

I'm sorry, but just pounding out the ball does not do it. Nor does having the league leaders. This is a team sport which depends on pitching more than anything else to get to the top. A good pitching staff can get around the power hitters. Also, keep in mind a full time player will get around 650 at bats, if he gets 35 home runs, what happens the other 615 times at bat? Home run hitters tend to strike out more often than non-home run hitters (Babe Ruth held the record for most strikeouts until Sosa replaced him on the list).

Pitching, pitching, pitching. I know it's not as exciting to watch, but that's the truth.

8 teams made the playoffs this year.

6 of them were in the top 12 for most HR hit in the majors.

Including #1 and #2.

3 of those teams are still playing. Only the Dodgers are left from the teams who weren't HR happy. If the Dodgers had had Manny all season and his HR totals remained unchanged, they'd have moved up to 20th. Assuming Bay on Boston all year still moves them up one slot to 11th.

Just the facts... You do the analysis...

voodoochile
10-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't think there is ANY chance that Getz and Fields are starting for the Sox next year. I think Fields is traded. I think Getz, if on the team, is a bench player.

Kenny needs to add speed and good fundamental players and he needs a leadoff hitter and a # 2 hitter. About the only positions to do that with are 2b, 3b and CF.

I'm pretty sure there will be new players from outside the organization in atleast 2 of those positions.

It would be awesome not to see our first 2 hitters regularly go down while seeing 4 pitches or less combined.

I think part of the problem is money. I don't think they can afford to sign CF/2B/3B from outside the organization.

One needs to come by trade.

One needs to come from someone currently on the roster (Fields and Swish are the two most obvious choices here).

One can come via FA and that still leaves some money to sign a 5th starter and not force Richar to be the man right out of the gate.

JNS
10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree. I think they need to fill one of those two slots (and my vote is for 2B) with an experienced player who can bat at the top of the lineup. I'd give the 3B job to Fields and hope he doesn't get injured again, but sign Uribe as the backup IF/emergency 3B replacement if Fields blows up again.

Then you look for a 5th starter (Lowe?) and start thinking about what to do in CF. If you can make Swish a part of the trade to acquire a CF then great. I don't think he'd fair well as the super sub next year. He won't get the bats behind PK, TCQ, Dye and whoever they acquire for CF that he did in Oakland. If not, I wouldn't be shocked to see Swish back in CF on opening day next year with BA and Owens as the BU OF. But, Wise made such an impression they might keep him around and try to trade some of the others. Too many AAAA OF on this team right now. If they can't find takers, they need to cut their losses and let them go.

I concur. I suppose there will be an evaluation - who is better trade-bait and who has a brighter future here - Getz or Fields? Or maybe package them or trade them separately if you have replacements in mind. Or sign Cabrera, although that seems very unlikely. Also, many people see Alexi as our SS for many years to come - potentially the best since Ozzie, or, dare I say it - Little Looie. It probably is a good idea to get him over to SS ASAP if that's where he's gonna spend his career.

If you look at the starters position by position, these are the question marks:

-- CF. We have a slew of guys, but are any of them appropriate? Jr. will probably be gone. Swish certainly ain't the answer out there on a long-term basis. Owens? I dunno. Anderson? Will he ever learn to hit RH pitchers? Figgins? I'd love it. So - lots of questions there.
-- Corner OF slots. TCQ and Dye. No more discussion necessary.
-- 1B. Trade Paulie as part of a package for Figgins and others? Well, after the 08 season his value is way down, so I see him at 1B in 09.
-- 2B, 3B, SS See above. Lot's of questions and ots of potential answers. We have one guy who may be a great one - Ramirez. Fields, Getz and a cast of thousands? Lots of possibilities, no answers yet.
-- C. AJ and whoever.
-- Pen. Crapshoot. Hope that Linebrink stays healthy in 09, and continue with Thornton, Octavio "Boom-Boom" Dotel, and whoever else you can dredge up. Relief is such a crapshoot it's hard to know what to do other than hold fast and/or roll the dice.
-- Rotation. Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Javy (fine as a #4 or #5), and XXX. There has been talk in the past of converting Thornton to a starting roll. He's been so good out of the pen I wonder if it's a good idea, but it may be worth considering.
Bench -- Uribe, Hall or another 2nd string catcher, and a cast of whoever. I see no need to keep Swisher around, altough I doubt anyone will want to give anything for him. Who needs a switch hitter who fans frequently from both sides of the plate?

Ranger
10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I think KW gets caught up in what a lot of GMs get caught up in: modeling the ball club to the ballpark. Red Sox GMs made that mistake for decades and the team went nowhere. Epstein molded an all-round good team (notwithstanding the huge increases in payroll) and they have been a force to be reckoned with ever since. KW understands that but he needs to find the guys - easier said than done as he himself points out.

Actually, the Red Sox became a good team because they started spending a ridiculous amount of money to go along with exceptional, consistent minor league talent. Not because they built a team for all parks. Besides, I'd say Ortiz, Drew, Ellsbury, Crisp, Lowell are all pretty good fits for Fenway.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Btrain:

He said it in the locker room after #4.

----------

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-07-alds-sox-brite-chicagooct07,0,4167043.story

Lip

Tragg
10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Kenny did a hell of a job fixing a team that was a complete mess in '07. If he makes the moves necessary, we're a force to be reckoned with in '09!
He did.
It's not the "little things" we lack - it's getting on base, speed and pitching.

Fortunately, Mr "little things", Darin Erstad, is signed for another year in Houston, so that temptation isn't out there.

NLaloosh
10-07-2008, 12:15 PM
I think part of the problem is money. I don't think they can afford to sign CF/2B/3B from outside the organization.

One needs to come by trade.

One needs to come from someone currently on the roster (Fields and Swish are the two most obvious choices here).

One can come via FA and that still leaves some money to sign a 5th starter and not force Richar to be the man right out of the gate.

I agree. I think that it's most likely that CF is given to Anderson/Wise platoon. Next, would be the 5th starter such as Richard. Although, I believe they'll sign a vet here to a short term contract.

But, I truly believe that there will be a new 2B and 3B. Trade or FA. I hope they can move Paulie and his contract.

The good news is that,unlike last year, the Sox have both players to trade and money to spend. Also, less holes to fill. I'm excited.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Tragg:

My sense is that when Kenny says "little things" he means speed, the ability to execute a fundamental -- like a sacrifice or hitting the other way and a player who is simply "baseball smart."

We'll see.

Lip

kittle42
10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
The good news is that,unlike last year, the Sox have both players to trade and money to spend. Also, less holes to fill. I'm excited.

I haven't consulted KW yet on whether the economic crisis has affected the ratio of .50 to $1.00 that he has to spend.

FedEx227
10-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Tragg:

My sense is that when Kenny says "little things" he means speed, the ability to execute a fundamental -- like a sacrifice or hitting the other way and a player who is simply "baseball smart."

We'll see.

Lip

Screwing bunting. How about just hitting the other way, shortening up your swing in an 0-2 count and taking an extra base on a hit. That's enough for me.

Those aren't really "little things" those should be fundamental truths to baseball.

I hate the emphasis on little things which means giving up outs a tremendous amount of times for the sole purpose of saying "we do the little things". Just learn to become or acquire players that are balanced, patient hitters.

kittle42
10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Screwing bunting. How about just hitting the other way, shortening up your swing in an 0-2 count and taking an extra base on a hit. That's enough for me.

Those aren't really "little things" those should be fundamental truths to baseball.

I hate the emphasis on little things which means giving up outs a tremendous amount of times for the sole purpose of saying "we do the little things". Just learn to become or acquire players that are balanced, patient hitters.

Yup. You have to admit, it's annoying watching other teams execute simple baseball the way the Sox once could. Look at that 2-run single by Hunter last night - there is NO WAY the Sox score 2 on a line drive shot to the RF with their baserunners.

NoNeckEra
10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, that works real well against bad pitching.

However, when they say that good pitching beats good hitting, it's true. That's when a team needs to be able to finagle a run or two across the plate somehow. Speed and executing fundamentals are the way to do that.

The Sox have almost no players like that. They don't need a team of them but if they could add 3 it would make for a very nicely balanced team.
Well said(regarding the benefits of hitting 300 HRs, vs situational hitters).
HRs are hit on "mistakes". Whenever you face quality pitchers during the regular season, and then get to the playoffs and see quality arms, you get less and less mistakes. You need to be able to mfgr runs.
It kills me to say this, but in this way, the Sox are similar to the Cubs.

FedEx227
10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Yup. You have to admit, it's annoying watching other teams execute simple baseball the way the Sox once could. Look at that 2-run single by Hunter last night - there is NO WAY the Sox score 2 on a line drive shot to the RF with their baserunners.

No the Sox don't score two on that not a chance... and that wasn't a team doing the little things. Hell "doing the little things" cost the Angels the ALDS last night. They overmanaged the hell out of that 8th inning.

Instead, the play you're referring to... that was just simple baseball executed properly. That's it. It wasn't grinderball, it wasn't small ball, it wasn't Ozzie ball, it was baseball. Not a Home Run Derby.