PDA

View Full Version : My hope is that we don't overdo the "Blackout"

Frontman
10-06-2008, 11:11 PM
The Blackouts through the post-season have been great. But I think though we shouldn't overdo them, and reserve them for special moments.

Here's when I think we should have them moving forward:

The Home Opener

The first Nationally televised game (let the people across the country look at our fanbase in a new "black" light.)

The night game for the Cubs/Sox series at USCF (again, that game usually is picked up by ESPN.)

Fan appreciation Day/night

And of course post-season baseball.

Anyone have any feelings on this?

chisoxmike
10-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm afraid its going to be overdone as well.

I say retire it forever.

Boondock Saint
10-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I'd trim that list down to home opener, games that can clinch postseason berths and playoffs.

anewman35
10-06-2008, 11:15 PM
The Blackouts through the post-season have been great. But I think though we shouldn't overdo them, and reserve them for special moments.

The Home Opener

The first Nationally televised game (let the people across the country look at our fanbase in a new "black" light.)

The night game for the Cubs/Sox series at USCF (again, that game usually is picked up by ESPN.)

Eh, even that to me is probably way overdoing it. Doing it Cubs/Sox would be stupid, because a large portion of the crowd wouldn't do it. Nobody typically gives a **** about Fan Appreciation day. Opening Day is special enough, I don't know if we need to add a gimmick to it. If it's me, I might restrict it ONLY to the postseason (and maybe key games late in the season to get to the post-season). If we're doing it 5 times a year, even if the team sucks, I don't think it's nearly as special anymore.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I think the Sox ought to try a Pink Out. Wear your pink Sox gear and we'll distribute 40,000 pink rally towels. Bubbalicious will be sponsoring the event and will supply the fan they judge to be the pinkest with a lifetime supply of bubble gum.

Anyone else in?

kevingrt
10-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Elimination games only. For us or the other team. Nothing more.

Maybe I would let Opening Day be okay too.

But nothing will trump the first Black Out. Sunday and today did not compare at all to the crowd on Tuesday.

No crowd ever in Cell history does, even any postseason game of the past two decades.

MUsoxfan
I'm afraid its going to be overdone as well.

I say retire it forever.

People will forget it ever happened 6 months from now

Frontman
Eh, even that to me is probably way overdoing it. Doing it Cubs/Sox would be stupid, because a large portion of the crowd wouldn't do it. Nobody typically gives a **** about Fan Appreciation day. Opening Day is special enough, I don't know if we need to add a gimmick to it. If it's me, I might restrict it ONLY to the postseason (and maybe key games late in the season to get to the post-season). If we're doing it 5 times a year, even if the team sucks, I don't think it's nearly as special anymore.

Good points.

Maybe one night out of the season then? Much like the college "blackouts" do it once; then put it away until post-season?

Because, it really was fun to see. Like to see it even if the team doesn't make post-season appearances.

Heck, if we can have "Mullet Night" we should have the Blackout added to the mix.

Frontman
10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I think the Sox ought to try a Pink Out. Wear your pink Sox gear and we'll distribute 40,000 pink rally towels. Bubbalicious will be sponsoring the event and will supply the fan they judge to be the pinkest with a lifetime supply of bubble gum.

Anyone else in?

*looks at sig line, gives the clearing of the throat, and says*

Not a bad idea for Mother's Day. If the players are swinging pink bats, we should do pink t-shirts/rally towels.

Scottiehaswheels
10-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Anyone else in?
This sounds like Bill Veeck's original plan to have the attendance at a game be 0. :redneck

gowhitesox
10-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Just do the blackout for perhaps one or twice during the season.

BainesHOF
10-07-2008, 02:13 AM
...But nothing will trump the first Black Out. Sunday and today did not compare at all to the crowd on Tuesday.

You are correct, sir.

I'm still amazed at how virtually everyone dressed in black for the Minnesota game. I think a huge reason for this was the crowd consisted of season-ticket holders, and other hard-core Sox fans who attended the Detroit game and stuck out its long rain delay and were there at that game's end to buy tickets to the Minnesota game immediately afterward. That made a HUGE difference in the makeup of the crowd for the Minnesota game. The fans who attended the Minnesota game were in tune with the team. They received a e-mail or heard on the radio about the Blackout and automatically put on black to support the team. I think it spoke volumes about Sox fans.

The Blackout worked so well that it had to be continued vs. Tampa Bay. And as cool as it was for the two ALDS games, there wasn't as many people wearing black as at the Minnesota game. Already some of the magic wore off. It was a subtle difference, but I think it quickly went from something everyone did almost reflexively on an individual basis to support the team to something you were expected to do with the rest of the crowd.

I hope the Sox resist the temptation to turn it into a go-to marketing gimmick. I don't want to see it ever again in the regular season unless an unusual circumstance like the playoff game vs. Minnesota calls for it. If the Sox use it during the regular season, it will dilute the power of a Blackout in the playoffs.

I'm all for a Rolling Blackout come playoff time.

Alexei4president
10-07-2008, 06:50 AM

The Home Opener

I say we keep it only post season.........not to be a downer but if i remember correctly the sox home games vs. the cubs were half cubs fans wearin blue

KyWhiSoxFan
10-07-2008, 07:20 AM
I think they should do a white out. That is even more visually intimidating. Wtih a blackout, it looks like no one is in the seats. (Besides, it is the "White" Sox.)

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 07:24 AM
How do you figure? They sold a ton of tee shirts and hoodies which you will see all over the park next year celebrating it. The 100,000+ people who were at the three games will never forget it.

oeo
10-07-2008, 07:27 AM

One of the bigger games in Sox history? Doubt it.

Frontman
10-07-2008, 07:31 AM
I think they should do a white out. That is even more visually intimidating. Wtih a blackout, it looks like no one is in the seats. (Besides, it is the "White" Sox.)

Problem with that is the distraction to both team's players. During the summer months; many players comment on how many white T-shirts are behind home plate making it hard to pick up the ball.

TomBradley72
10-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I think the "Black Out" should be reserved for post season only..possibly a late September pennant race elimination type game.

I attended all three games....the main factor that changed over the three games was the die hard/casual fan ratio. By last night's games there were entire sections/rows of fans that you could tell were casual or even Cubs fans. They weren't really into the game, standing and cheering, etc. It's a very cool idea...but we don't need it in the regular season.

On a separate note....I predict alot more people will start to wear black to White Sox games going forward (like all of the red you see at Cardinals games, etc.). It won't be an official "black out"....but I think it will be noticable.

The Dude
10-07-2008, 08:05 AM
I'd trim that list down to home opener, games that can clinch postseason berths and playoffs.

exactly! No more and no less than that.

Frontman
10-07-2008, 08:25 AM
I was being generous with how many times I would think it should be seen; glad to see folks want it to remain special.

I still would like one a season, though. The way baseball is, there is nothing set in stone the Sox would be in post-season contention every year. That's what we hope for, but the facts show that doesn't always happen.

I hope we see some post-season "Blackouts" next season.

Shortfin Mako
10-07-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't agree on postseason only, but I do agree that it should be more than once a year.

I also wouldn't want this to be the kind of thing they put on the calendar. It should be a last-minute rallying cry, just as it was for the Minnesota game. Perhaps games where the Sox are trying to avoid a sweep, or games where the Sox themselves are attempting to complete a sweep. Potential clinch games.

I do also like the idea of the white out as a variant. Perhaps the two could be used for different reasons...

lpneck
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
The blackout is cool during night games. That is why Tuesday night agaisnt the Twins was the best night. On Sunday and Monday, I didn't think the effect was as noticeable as the game started, but by the later innings, once it was dark, I though it looked cool again. I especially liked the white towels as contrast.

I think what would potentially be cool would be to do a "white out" with black towels for a day game, and a "black out" with white towels for a night game.

Agree though, that it basically has to be a playoff game, or a regular season game with HUGE implications. It would be ridiculous to do it on a Wednesday night with 22,000 people there.

btrain929
10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
i'd trim that list down to home opener, games that can clinch postseason berths and playoffs.

+1.

roylestillman
10-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, whatever it turns out to be I hope they let us know, because it was painfully obvious over the last few days that I don't have enough black in my wardrobe to last more than a few games in a row.

ChiSoxFan81
10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I'll chime in and say only for postseason as well, although I don't think it will ever match that tiebreaker game for effect. I agree that it looks awesome, and provides solidarity between the fans and the team, but certainly needs to be used sparingly, lest it lose it's novelty and effectiveness.

sox1970
10-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I thought they should have left it at the one game against the Twins. They shouldn't do it opening day.

The great thing about the Twins game was that it was pretty much an impromptu thing. If you start forcing people to wear black on a regular basis, it loses its effect and it'll get old...and lame.

skobabe8
10-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Post season only.

Opening Day is too festive and all around happy-feeling to get the emotion of an intense blackout. Plus it looks better at night.

swish
10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Problem with that is the distraction to both team's players. During the summer months; many players comment on how many white T-shirts are behind home plate making it hard to pick up the ball.

Anderson said that when he was in center it was hard to pick the ball up with all of the fans waving white towels. Can you imagine how hard it would be if everyone was wearing white?

On another note, I do agree we should do the blackouts for all of the postseason. The home opener would be nice too but I don't want to over do it becasue then it will lose its power and significance.

whitesox901
10-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I two was getting nervous of it being over used

Why not a whiteout yet?

seventyseven
10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
playoffs only, please.

ShoelessJoeS
10-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Doing it for any other games than postseason games would be overdoing it, IMO.

Make it a Playoffs tradition.

beasly213
10-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Playoff tradition is right on. That or clinching games.
I like many others was amazed at how almost EVERYONE wore black on Tuesday night.

The playoff games had a good amount of people wearing black but Tuesday was the most by far and looked the best.

Here's my thoughts.

Home Opener? - No

Clinchers? - Yes

Playoff Games? - Yes

Cuck the Fubs
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
How do you figure? They sold a ton of tee shirts and hoodies which you will see all over the park next year celebrating it. The 100,000+ people who were at the three games will never forget it.

I was there for 2 of the 3.......I'll never forget it.

And with regards tot he shirts...I'm proudly wearing it today :smile:

Frankfan4life
10-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Eh, even that to me is probably way overdoing it. Doing it Cubs/Sox would be stupid, because a large portion of the crowd wouldn't do it. Nobody typically gives a **** about Fan Appreciation day. Opening Day is special enough, I don't know if we need to add a gimmick to it. If it's me, I might restrict it ONLY to the postseason (and maybe key games late in the season to get to the post-season). If we're doing it 5 times a year, even if the team sucks, I don't think it's nearly as special anymore.My feelings exactly. I participated in all 3 of the black-out games and I thought they were awesome. I don't remember Sox fans being more energized. However, I think a sense of urgency should be the only reason to do another black-out.

Tragg
10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Should have stopped it after the Twins game.
Makes the fans look like gargoyles.

The Sox are about baseball, not fads and gimmicks.

Fungo
10-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Break out the white wash

LITTLE NELL
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
October baseball only, it will define our playoff tradition. Much like the Cubs "L" flag defines their tradition.

ShoelessJoeS
10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
October baseball only, it will define our playoff tradition. Much like the Cubs "L" flag defines their tradition.Lol... well-played

Law11
10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Put me down for playoffs only.. Make it an October tradition.

soxfan1965
10-07-2008, 12:27 PM
I think what would potentially be cool would be to do a "white out" with black towels for a day game, and a "black out" with white towels for a night game.

Spy Vs. Spy Night

tacosalbarojas
10-07-2008, 12:57 PM
On a separate note....I predict alot more people will start to wear black to White Sox games going forward (like all of the red you see at Cardinals games, etc.). It won't be an official "black out"....but I think it will be noticable.I concur. I think we'll see a noticeable higher percentage of black in the crowds in general.

soxfan21
10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
I think it should be reserved for Opening Day, start the season off loud and lively like we were in the playoffs, and just post season games. It was an awesome atmosphere at the home playoff games with the "blackout" hopefully we will be doing it again come October 2009!

Over By There
10-07-2008, 05:50 PM

Bill Veeck might disagree with that statement...

I don't think anyone needs to worry much about it. It simply isn't going to be done to that effect again until next September/October, because us fans were just fired up enough to make it work.

Doing it just for postseason games feels right, IMO.

TomBradley72
10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Should have stopped it after the Twins game.
Makes the fans look like gargoyles.

Fans in attendance wearing their team's primary color is not exactly a fad or a gimmick. It energized the players...several of which requested it continue through the playoffs. It energized the fans. It created a very unique and memorable atmosphere.

We stand for "Thunderstruck" before games. We sing "Na Na" when the opposing pitcher is removed. We sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch. Our scoreboard shoots off fireworks after a WSox homer and after a White Sox win. We wear black for post season home games.

Rdy2PlayBall
10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
How do you figure? They sold a ton of tee shirts and hoodies which you will see all over the park next year celebrating it. The 100,000+ people who were at the three games will never forget it.I was at the last two and it was really cool! Anyone else wonder why the heck that helicopter was flying over the field every 2 seconds that last game? I bet it was to get a video and some pictuers of the black out. :D: Too bad everytime it came Tampa was about to score or Thome stuck out. :whiner:

turners56
10-07-2008, 07:06 PM
I think we already did overdo it. Do it on the first game of a playoff series or the clincher of a playoff series and that should be it. It should be something special, not something ordinary.

cub killer
10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
I agree with only playoff games and a night game against the scrubs. Plus, we should grass-roots blackout Wrigley Field during the crosstown classic. You would definitely notice the Sox contingent then. It'll be awesome and piss off the cub fans, I'm sure.

turners56
10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I agree with only playoff games and a night game against the scrubs. Plus, we should grass-roots blackout Wrigley Field during the crosstown classic. You would definitely notice the Sox contingent then. It'll be awesome and piss off the cub fans, I'm sure.

Watch the Cubs come up with a blue-crush kind of thing. Then all the Cubs fans and Cubune media will call it original.

chisoxfanatic
10-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Though I wouldn't venture to Wrigley, I like this idea! Give the Sox fans black towels and make Wrigley seem like a home game!

1908<2005
10-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Cubs/Sox blackout wouldn't work with 40% of the stadium wearing blue.

1908<2005
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Watch the Cubs come up with a blue-crush kind of thing. Then all the Cubs fans and Cubune media will call it original.

Technically the White Sox stole the blackout idea from Georgia University who stole it from the NBA who stole it from soccer.

soxnut67
10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
No more black. It's the White Sox....Hey, how about the team actually wearing WHITE SOCKS!!:?:

kevingrt
10-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Technically the White Sox stole the blackout idea from Georgia University who stole it from the NBA who stole it from soccer.

The blackout idea has been around FOREVER.

No one stole it from anyone.

ChiSoxGirl
10-07-2008, 09:24 PM
No more black. It's the White Sox....Hey, how about the team actually wearing WHITE SOCKS!!:?:

The blackout is cool during night games. That is why Tuesday night agaisnt the Twins was the best night. On Sunday and Monday, I didn't think the effect was as noticeable as the game started, but by the later innings, once it was dark, I though it looked cool again. I especially liked the white towels as contrast.

Agree though, that it basically has to be a playoff game, or a regular season game with HUGE implications. It would be ridiculous to do it on a Wednesday night with 22,000 people there.

I two was getting nervous of it being over used

Why not a whiteout yet?

Cool as it may look, you have to be careful with white because then you run the risk of the fans blending in the with baseball! :o:

1908<2005
10-07-2008, 11:42 PM
The blackout idea has been around FOREVER.

No one stole it from anyone.

Not saying we stole it. The poster I quoted said "I bet the Cubs will do a Blue Crush and the Cubune will call it original"

ihatethecubs
10-08-2008, 12:16 AM
wear black always forever and ever. every sox home game, wear black. its now the rule. don't stop living in the black. black forever.

cub killer
10-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Cubs/Sox blackout wouldn't work with 40% of the stadium wearing blue.

Well then, we shouldn't even bother showing up. Let's just let the north side fans have the stadium. We'll just stay home and watch ME TV instead.

I think the crosstown games are important enough to blackout. We can't let them feel comfortable at Comiskey. It always bothered me when they'd show up down here and just walk around our ballpark as if they were welcome here. Hell no. Let's black it out and make them wish they stayed at home to watch the game. There is not 40% cub fans at crosstown Comiskey games, it's more like 20%. And why would we let their presence stop us from blacking it out. That's ridiculous. If anything, that is when we should be more intimidating and fierce.

And of course, roll the Blackout north for the Wrigley leg of the crosstown classic, with the black towels as well.

esbrechtel
10-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Well then, we shouldn't even bother showing up. Let's just let the north side fans have the stadium. We'll just stay home and watch ME TV instead.

And of course, roll the Blackout north for the Wrigley leg of the crosstown classic, with the black towels as well.

That color is not teal....

Frontman
10-08-2008, 08:34 AM

We can't really call the blackout original either.

mattcoz
10-12-2008, 06:30 PM

Anyone else in?

Something like this?

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/20071012/illini-basketball-madness-022.JPG

DumpJerry
10-12-2008, 07:05 PM

Anyone else in?

Terry Francona would probably love to participate.

Brian26
10-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Terry Francona would probably love to participate.

I thought it was Tino Francona after watching Craig Sager last night. :redneck

DumpJerry
10-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I thought it was Tino Francona after watching Craig Sager last night. :redneck
You mean Craig "Fashion Bug" Sager?