PDA

View Full Version : Is the Pressure on for Next Year?

BleacherBandit
10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Now, I'm not about to say this because it's pending off-season aquisitions and trades, but if, IF the White Sox are favorites to win the Division next year, how does the team handle it? Obviously, aside from technical issues, the Tigers this year couldn't really handle the pressure.

In 2005, the Sox weren't picked to win the division, and they weren't this year either. It seems that the teams penned to win the division sometimes have the hardest time actually getting that done. Obviously, the Sox showed us they could handle the pressure at certain times this season, but how about a WHOLE season next year?

Above all other things, the example the Tigers gave us this year scares the crap out of me for next year.

What are your thoughts?

hi im skot
10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Pffft...pressure.

No way.

Scottiehaswheels
10-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I think it has to be the Indians... You know, that every other year they are good thing.

Iron Dragon2
10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Now, I'm not about to say this because it's pending off-season aquisitions and trades, but if, IF the White Sox are favorites to win the Division next year, how does the team handle it? Obviously, aside from technical issues, the Tigers this year couldn't really handle the pressure.

In 2005, the Sox weren't picked to win the division, and they weren't this year either. It seems that the teams penned to win the division sometimes have the hardest time actually getting that done. Obviously, the Sox showed us they could handle the pressure at certain times this season, but how about a WHOLE season next year?

Above all other things, the example the Tigers gave us this year scares the crap out of me for next year.

What are your thoughts?

We are not the Tigers.

hawkjt
10-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Honestly, if the Twins get Beltre at third, I think they will be the favorite.
They tied the Sox in the end, they are much younger, players like Gomez,Span,Casilla, will probably get better, and even blackburn,slowey, Liriano and Baker were improving.
It will be their last year in plastic baseball land and they might go all out to max out their season with their made for dome team.

I suspect by the time next april rolls around, the experts will have it as a toss-up between Sox,Twins,Indians...with the tigers a darkhorse if they get some pitching. KC...also will be considered dangerous.

WhiteSox5187
10-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I think it has to be the Indians... You know, that every other year they are good thing.
there's a lot of talent on that Indians team and they really came on in the second half, but I expect the Sox to be up there with them, I think we are a very good team and with a couple of moves (and barring any injury or set backs) we can become one of the elite AL teams.

Noneck
10-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Pressure? No way, they won't be picked to win the division.

BleacherBandit
10-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Pressure? No way, they won't be picked to win the division.

My question was IF they will be picked. They may not. But we don't know what will happen in the offseason. So...what are your ideas about expectations affecting the outcome of a season?

Noneck
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM
My question was IF they will be picked. They may not. But we don't know what will happen in the offseason. So...what are your ideas about expectations affecting the outcome of a season?

Even if they are favored which I highly doubt, as long as the boston, ny, la, and the nl chicago team are around they will be ignored as they were in 05 and won't have pressure to deal with.

TheOldRoman
10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Honestly, if the Twins get Beltre at third, I think they will be the favorite.
They tied the Sox in the end, they are much younger, players like Gomez,Span,Casilla, will probably get better, and even blackburn,slowey, Liriano and Baker were improving.
It will be their last year in plastic baseball land and they might go all out to max out their season with their made for dome team.

I suspect by the time next april rolls around, the experts will have it as a toss-up between Sox,Twins,Indians...with the tigers a darkhorse if they get some pitching. KC...also will be considered dangerous.Don't count on Span contributing anything. He is a typical fluke Twins player, called up from AAA, with a career minor league line of .287/.355. He comes to the bigs and puts up a .294/.387 season? We have seen this before. Normally, these guys fall back into oblivion after their one fluke year (though Bartlett did have a very respectable .286 average this year). Span had his fluke year, and will be back in AAA before June.