PDA

View Full Version : Any word on season ticket prices for '09?

Scottiehaswheels
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Has that been released yet? Normally they release that info right around this time..... I've looked on the Sox website and didn't see anything other than the $1,000 deposit.

DumpJerry
10-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Usually announced after the MLB season is over.

Parrothead
10-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I heard parking is going up to $25 a game, can't confirm though. Also, I am sure tix will go up.

nasox
10-06-2008, 11:38 PM
If the Sox are smart, they will not increase prices for next year. The economy is in the dumps, and people are going to decrease spending. But I would bet that they won't and ticket prices will go up (along with everything else...parking, concessions, etc.). I guess that's the price of success.

kevingrt
10-06-2008, 11:58 PM
If the Sox are smart, they will not increase prices for next year. The economy is in the dumps, and people are going to decrease spending. But I would bet that they won't and ticket prices will go up (along with everything else...parking, concessions, etc.). I guess that's the price of success.

Part pends on the MLB and what not too.

BainesHOF
10-07-2008, 03:23 AM
If I owned the Sox, I would be realistic and keep prices the same or even generate a huge amount of goodwill for the future by cutting prices slightly. The economy is in serious trouble. Sports teams are going to be hit hard just like any other business.

MUsoxfan
10-07-2008, 03:37 AM
This thread is about 3 months early.

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2008, 03:43 AM
This thread is about 3 months early.How do you figure? Final payment on season tix is due in less than 3 months.

dickallen15
10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Prices were raised when they lost 90 games, I'm sure they will go up some. At least a good portion is already paid for.

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 08:21 AM
This thread is about 3 months early.
How so? First invoices come out in about two-three weeks.

Law11
10-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Its not the success that will make concessions go up, Its the price of the commodities in the foodservice world that will help determine that.

whitesox901
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Besides season tix, and the 13 game ozzie plan, do the White Sox have any sort of ticket plans? Like a Six-Pack, or anything?

NoNeckEra
10-07-2008, 11:29 AM
If I owned the Sox, I would be realistic and keep prices the same or even generate a huge amount of goodwill for the future by cutting prices slightly. The economy is in serious trouble. Sports teams are going to be hit hard just like any other business.
And, therefore cut the player budget, I'm assuming?

34 Inch Stick
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM

I would take the last 5-10 rows of the upper deck and sell them for $10 while maintaining or increasing the price of the lower deck.

Law11
10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I never would have thought id say this but id make an area of the bleachers or LL reserved in left or RF as family area.

Its getting tough to bring young little ones to the games. The drunks and the cursing are all part of sporting events I know but it may be nice to have an area dedicated to families who want to make it a point to try to avoid the idiots who want to flex their vocabulary to an extreme at every given moment. Not to mention feel strong after a few beers.

Keep the pricing equal to everything else but this may be a good thing to have.

I know this is going off topic a bit..

LoveYourSuit
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I never would have thought id say this but id make an area of the bleachers or LL reserved in left or RF as family area.

Its getting tough to bring young little ones to the games. The drunks and the cursing are all part of sporting events I know but it may be nice to have an area dedicated to families who want to make it a point to try to avoid the idiots who want to flex their vocabulary to an extreme at every given moment. Not to mention feel strong after a few beers.

I agree. I think the 2-3 sections on the corner of the UD on each side should be sold in family packages with no alcahol. Those seats are only used for the 20-30 sell outs we have all year, save them as a family sections instead. I'm sure at reasonable price, the fans will pick them up.

LoveYourSuit
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
As for the economy situation, I think ML Baseball is in for a rude awakening in the next few years. Small market teams are going to suffer big time at the gate IMO. I think Sox might suffer a bit too, especially when trying to draw a family of 4 in these economical crisis.

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
As for the economy situation, I think ML Baseball is in for a rude awakening in the next few years. Small market teams are going to suffer big time at the gate IMO. I think Sox might suffer a bit too, especially when trying to draw a family of 4 in these economical crisis.
Doesn't matter. Ticket sales are a very small percentage of a team's revenue. There is revenue sharing on MLB merchandise (so when you see all those Cub tee shirts around town, thank the people wearing them for supporting the White Sox) and luxury tax payments from teams like the Yankees and Red Sox who don't care how much they need to spend on payroll. Of course there is the big revenue monster: broadcast rights.

I_Liked_Manuel
10-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Agreed - and it's not just about bringing kids to a game - baseball games are just getting difficult in general to enjoy in Chicago. Buying a baseball ticket, it seems, has become a license to get trashed and act ignorant. I've got no issue with people getting drunk at ballgames - but take a trip up to Milwaukee, down to St. Louis, or over to Detroit - you won't see the behavior that I've witnessed in the outfield over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

champagne030
10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Doesn't matter. Ticket sales are a very small percentage of a team's revenue. There is revenue sharing on MLB merchandise (so when you see all those Cub tee shirts around town, thank the people wearing them for supporting the White Sox) and luxury tax payments from teams like the Yankees and Red Sox who don't care how much they need to spend on payroll. Of course there is the big revenue monster: broadcast rights.

I disagree. Ticket sales are the single largest component of a teams revenue.

LoveYourSuit
10-07-2008, 12:46 PM

I disagree. Ticket Sales IMO next to TV Revenue is the biggest component of team Revenue.

With a bad economy, not only will the gate suffer, but coporations who support the team with advertising will hold back too in a bad economy. Just think of all the major companies closing doors and laying off people right now one behind the other.

chisoxmike
10-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Most people will buy tickets even if they don't have any money. I expect ticket prices to rise again for 2009.

BainesHOF
10-07-2008, 01:45 PM
And, therefore cut the player budget, I'm assuming?

Yes. Or at the least not increase it.

It's all about spending money wisely anyway. Throwing money at problems often doesn't work.

BainesHOF
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM

I don't have kids, but I couldn't agree with you more. The stuff you hear in the bleachers is ridiculous.

I want Mags back
10-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Besides season tix, and the 13 game ozzie plan, do the White Sox have any sort of ticket plans? Like a Six-Pack, or anything?

No. The was a 9 game "minnie" plan for a few years but they dropped it.

EndemicSox
10-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Agreed, although this area would not be prime seating...

I don't think the Sox owners are crazy, and I expect minimal increases in ticket prices...

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I disagree. Ticket sales are the single largest component of a teams revenue.

I disagree. Ticket Sales IMO next to TV Revenue is the biggest component of team Revenue.

With a bad economy, not only will the gate suffer, but coporations who support the team with advertising will hold back too in a bad economy. Just think of all the major companies closing doors and laying off people right now one behind the other.
Disagree all you want, but was not expressing an opinion. I was stating a fact which is that teams lose money on ticket sales to make up for it on concession sales, etc. In the long run, it is more profitable to get the butts in the seats at a losing discount than to make money upfront on ticket sales which would eat into concession sales which are much more profitable. How much do you think the White Sox pay for that $6.50 bottle of beer you had at the last game? Much, much much less than $6.50. Season ticket holders are a ticket loss more than box office tickets because our face value is lower than the box office face value.

Lorenzo Barcelo
10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Disagree all you want, but was not expressing an opinion. I was stating a fact which is that teams lose money on ticket sales to make up for it on concession sales, etc. In the long run, it is more profitable to get the butts in the seats at a losing discount than to make money upfront on ticket sales which would eat into concession sales which are much more profitable. How much do you think the White Sox pay for that $6.50 bottle of beer you had at the last game? Much, much much less than $6.50. Season ticket holders are a ticket loss more than box office tickets because our face value is lower than the box office face value.

Dump is right, ticket sales are only one aspect of revenue. I believe that the home team only gets to keep 66% of ticket sales also. Licensing of merchandise plays a part in addition to concessions inside the stadium. But a huge portion comes from Broadcast agreements. IE teams like the Cubs, Braves, Yanks, rake in all those revenues because they are essentially bidding against themselves for those rights, thus keeping all profits for the team.

champagne030
10-07-2008, 04:56 PM

That's comparing apples and oranges. You stated that ticket sales were a very small percentage of revenue and that's not correct. They might make a smaller profit margin on ticket sales than concessions, but the bulk of revenue is from ticket sales.

This is a little dated as I know there's been additional sources of revenue created and TV contracts have increased significantly, but so have ticket prices. It not even close to what is the biggest revenue source.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/co/secdoc.xhtml?ID=46733&ipage=238249-74194-96119

Dump is right, ticket sales are only one aspect of revenue. I believe that the home team only gets to keep 66% of ticket sales also. Licensing of merchandise plays a part in addition to concessions inside the stadium. But a huge portion comes from Broadcast agreements. IE teams like the Cubs, Braves, Yanks, rake in all those revenues because they are essentially bidding against themselves for those rights, thus keeping all profits for the team.

I never suggested there were not other sources of revenue. It's just the largest.

dakuda
10-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I just hope that the increase (if any, please no) is small. My seats have gone up $400/pair (IIRC) since I picked them up on '06.

Since I bought a house since I started the tickets, it is much harder to keep them now.

Lorenzo Barcelo
10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
That's comparing apples and oranges. You stated that ticket sales were a very small percentage of revenue and that's not correct. They might make a smaller profit margin on ticket sales than concessions, but the bulk of revenue is from ticket sales.

This is a little dated as I know there's been additional sources of revenue created and TV contracts have increased significantly, but so have ticket prices. It not even close to what is the biggest revenue source.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/co/secdoc.xhtml?ID=46733&ipage=238249-74194-96119

I never suggested there were not other sources of revenue. It's just the largest.

Understood. Here is a link to 2001 season with Team revenues. It gives a good understanding on how teams make a profit or loss. It also shows why teams like the Marlins have no motivation to spend money because of revenue sharing.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/stories/2001-12-05-focus-expenses.htm

soxfan21
10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Ticket prices will probably go up at least $5 a piece next year just as they did this season, especially because they won the division.

itsnotrequired
10-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Ticket prices will probably go up at least $5 a piece next year just as they did this season, especially because they won the division.

My tickets went up $1 per game for Regular dates when compared to 2007. I would expect a similar increase for 2009.

CWS44
10-07-2008, 07:31 PM

I agree, and thanks for mentioning this. I have "fans" behind me and next to me that are completely vulgar, f-bombs a minimum of 3 x per sentence. Maybe they could just make a bleacher section for the vulgar idiots and let the rest of us enjoy baseball. Other than that, Sox Park is my favorite place to be. :smile:

itsnotrequired
10-07-2008, 07:36 PM
the bleachers are populated by vagabonds and gallivants.

EuroSox35
10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
The raised everything after 07 when we were one of the worst teams in the league, what do you expect?

champagne030
10-07-2008, 10:27 PM
The raised everything after 07 when we were one of the worst teams in the league, what do you expect?

I would expect a minor increase across the board.....Along the lines of maybe $1-2 per ticket. That's subject to what they learn from StubHub. Part of the agreement between SH and MLB was that MLB got a percentage of SH's 25% profit and that SH would provide detail on every transaction. This includes seller names, dates, amounts, seats, ect.

I doubt they make a large adjustment based on one season, but if the secondary market detail is showing some significant trends I would expect some significant changes in ticket prices in the future (and I don't mean downward price adjustments).

DumpJerry
10-07-2008, 11:19 PM
I agree, and thanks for mentioning this. I have "fans" behind me and next to me that are completely vulgar, f-bombs a minimum of 3 x per sentence. Maybe they could just make a bleacher section for the vulgar idiots and let the rest of us enjoy baseball. Other than that, Sox Park is my favorite place to be. :smile:
Let your rep know about it. Sometimes things can be "handled."

Back to the revenue discussion:
In 2007, the Kansas City Royals were 13th of the 14 teams in the AL in attendance. In 2008, they were 14th.

The Royals are one of the best investments in MLB. While they sell enough tickets to fill a VW Bus, they are incredibly profitable because of the broadcast revenue and luxury tax payments.

champagne030
10-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Back to the revenue discussion:
In 2007, the Kansas City Royals were 13th of the 14 teams in the AL in attendance. In 2008, they were 14th.

The Royals are one of the best investments in MLB. While they sell enough tickets to fill a VW Bus, they are incredibly profitable because of the broadcast revenue and luxury tax payments.

This is true, but if we're ever receiving those amounts as part of revenue sharing we will have had some incredibly bad seasons and all in a row. This will not happen under the current ownership. :praying:

whitesox901
10-08-2008, 03:04 PM
No. The was a 9 game "minnie" plan for a few years but they dropped it.

ah okay, thanks!