PDA

View Full Version : AL Most Valuable Player?

turners56
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Since our season is over, and the season is just a couple of weeks from being over for everybody, who really deserves the MVP in the AL? It's a pretty big field and nobody's really been considerably better than anybody else. Quentin would be the clear-cut winner if he wasn't injured in September. Because of that, this will be one of the most interesting races for MVP.

getonbckthr
10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Unfortunately probably Pedroia.

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Depends on what you vote for. If you vote for value as a player it should go to Sizemore. If you want to vote for a play off contributer I guess it goes to Pedroia.

I wouldn't say it was a slam dunk for Quentin this season either. He was on the short list for sure, but I still think Sizemore had more value given his defense and base running. As far as players on contenders I'm also not convinced that he had more value than Pedroia or Mauer.

Quentin was on the short list and very well could have been the best candidate... I'm just not sold completely.

Lefty34
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
This isn't an easy vote, cause there really isn't anyone other than Pedroia. If Quentin doesn't get hurt, he's a lock for the MVP. Even A-Rod isn't putting up A-Rod-ish numbers, otherwise he'd get my vote. Mauer doesn't have the power and HR-hitting ability to warrant an MVP vote, and those who think K-Rod should get it are just baseball-dumb. Pedroia is, sadly, the only real choice.

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 09:34 PM
This isn't an easy vote, cause there really isn't anyone other than Pedroia. If Quentin doesn't get hurt, he's a lock for the MVP. Even A-Rod isn't putting up A-Rod-ish numbers, otherwise he'd get my vote. Mauer doesn't have the power and HR-hitting ability to warrant an MVP vote, and those who think K-Rod should get it are just baseball-dumb. Pedroia is, sadly, the only real choice.

I'd argue that given the fact that he's an above average defensive CF, Sizemore has been the easily the best player in the American League this season. I'd rank Pedroia second, so if you hate the little guy you do have an option.

JermaineDye05
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
well in reality the most valuable player was Carlos Quentin.

The award will probably go to Francisco Rodriguez or Pedroia or Youkilis

JB98
10-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Anybody but Pedroia. That little punk does not deserve it. He is only in contention because of an East Coast media campaign.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
If TCQ doesn't get it, then I'd vote for Justin Morneau. TCQ SHOULD get it, however, since it's so clear how valuable he is to this team looking at how we played without his services.

DSpivack
10-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Anybody but Pedroia. That little punk does not deserve it. He is only in contention because of an East Coast media campaign.

I wouldn't mind Youkilis winning, he's been their best hitter. But Pedroia? For what, being a 'scrappy' hitter or some such similar BS?

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 11:12 PM

I know it's not a popular thing to argue but Pedrioa is a very viable candidate and it has nothing to do with where he plays. He's an excellent defender at a premium position and was in the top 10 in the American players in BA, Hits, Runs, doubles, Extra base hits, Vorp, Warp 3 and so on. He's a damn good player (punk or not). In fact I'd argue he's easily the second most valuable player in the American League this year, behind Sizemore.

stockonline2
10-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Pedroia going 1-17 in the ALDS cannot help his chances.

Eddo144
10-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Pedroia going 1-17 in the ALDS cannot help his chances.
Except the voting occurs before the playoffs start, so it cannot hurt them, either.

stockonline2
10-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Except the voting occurs before the playoffs start, so it cannot hurt them, either.

pwned
:redface:

Craig Grebeck
10-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Not true. He's been exceptional. He even stole twenty bases against only one caught stealing.

Guy is an absolute beast.

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Not true. He's been exceptional. He even stole twenty bases against only one caught stealing.

Guy is an absolute beast.Not looking it up but guessing about 10 of those came against us in 7 games.

Craig Grebeck
10-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Not looking it up but guessing about 10 of those came against us in 7 games.
He had one in the four game set at USCF and four in the three game series at Fenway.

25%! Damn.

turners56
10-07-2008, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't mind Youkilis winning, he's been their best hitter. But Pedroia? For what, being a 'scrappy' hitter or some such similar BS?

My vote is for Youkilis. When it came to crunch time in September, Morneau was bad.

turners56
10-07-2008, 08:27 AM
He had one in the four game set at USCF and four in the three game series at Fenway.

25%! Damn.

Those shouldn't even count then.