PDA

View Full Version : A Positive Look Back At The 2008 Season

VeeckAsInWreck
10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Well all in all it's been a fun season. We weren't expected to be here and despite the numerous injuries, the team still managed to get into October.

I applaud them and hope that we can build on it for next year. I look forward to seeing how Alexei will do with a full season at shortstop. With this year of experience we'll see how much better Danks and Floyd get.

So to the 2008 I salute you and thank you for a great season. :gulp:

rdwj
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
A tad too early for this no?

VeeckAsInWreck
10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Well I hope that it is but I doubt it. :(:

AZChiSoxFan
10-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Well all in all it's been a fun season. We weren't expected to be here and despite the numerous injuries, the team still managed to get into October.

I applaud them and hope that we can build on it for next year. I look forward to seeing how Alexei will do with a full season at shortstop. With this year of experience we'll see how much better Danks and Floyd get.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks Sox for a very memorable season!!

Looking forward to 2009!

ShoelessJoeS
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Well... It was fun while it lasted!

:gulp:

mccoydp
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I enjoyed this season. I got to come back to Chicago for the first time in 15 years, and got to watch the last two games of the Angels series in May.

I'm looking forward to a healthy (and re-tooled) White Sox team in 2009!

ozzman
10-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Sox, thanks for a fun season that we weren't expecting. October baseball is fun. Too bad injuries didn't allow us to bring our best squad into the postseason. Get em next year!

BleacherBandit
At least we won't be slotted in at finishing third next season by Sports Illustrated.

Next year, we'll see what happens.

turners56
A good offseason + Carlos Quentin and Alexei Ramirez will equal at least another AL Central divisional crown next season.

It was unfortunate that we lost the best player in the AL in the most crucial month. It was fun guys. Let's hope Kenny can push the right buttons this offseason.

oeo
Thanks for a wild year. Wasn't expecting it, but it was a lot of fun. Things look a lot better now than they did a year ago.

BRDSR
10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Is this the postgame thread?

Either way, I agree with the sentiments, even if I was exceedingly frustrated with this team at times.

And if I had to choose a team to lose to in the first round, I would choose the Rays. Good for them for turning the franchise around and playing solid baseball for an entire season. I'll be rooting for them.

manders_01
Sox, thanks for a fun season that we weren't expecting. October baseball is fun. Too bad injuries didn't allow us to bring our best squad into the postseason. Get em next year!

Well said; I second that.

Pear-Zin-Ski
I don't think I've been part of a more up and down season than this one...the expectations were low and guess what...suprises are more fun!

This team has SO much potential for 2009 and beyond...here's to hoping we fill some of those holes that held us down a bit this year...and here's to TCQ, TCM, Danks and (not tonite) Gavin for one heck of a show!

:gulp:

rightsox
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Indeed, it was a great season, all things considered, and at least we lost to a good team. Hopefully Tampa Bay goes all the way--I'd hate for the sox to have been beaten by anybody but the best.

Shore up that bullpen, get some speed, and we'll be back next October!

Navarro's Talent
I did not expect the Sox to make the playoffs this season, so I have already been beyond happy with the outcome before today's game. I'm not too bummed out.

KW is going to get some speed this offseason and maybe an RBI machine. You add those things with the young guys and veterans the Sox have, the team should be right back in the playoffs in 2009! I can't wait!

21stcenturySox
Fun year. We'll come back stronger next year with a 3rd baseman and TCQ back.

Still the best team in Chicago!

BleacherBandit
Why do they celebrate with champagne after winning the divisional series? Come on.

soxinthecity
It's tough to take but they gave us a short sweet ride.

Can't wait til 09!

Frater Perdurabo
This was a maddeningly but ultimately satisfying season.

This team won the division and we can't complain about that.

sox1970
10-06-2008, 07:26 PM
**** this team! They break my heart every year!! I'm done as a Sox fan!

Bucky F. Dent
We discovered Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, and Floyd.

We FAR exceeded any forecast laid out for this team at the start of the year.

We've got some work to do in the offseason, but it was one hell of a year!

Uncle_Patrick
It's a disappointing end, but you have to admit, the season was, in a way, a success. "Experts" had this team pegged at 4th or last place; they won the division, even with injuries to key players. Danks and Floyd established themselves as good pitchers with bright futures. Quentin and Alexei really shined. Ozzie did the best he could with a one-dimensional offense. Linebrink was great before he got hurt. Clayton Richard is showing some spark. There were a bunch of negatives, but definitely a lot more positives than people would have thought at the start of the season.

sox1970
10-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Why do they celebrate with champagne after winning the divisional series? Come on.

The Sox did it too in 05 in Boston. I agree. It's pointless.

DSpivack

Because every team does it, and it's the first playoff series win in franchise history.

SOXBOY
Thank you for a great year. The Sox were a flawed team but still got the job done. The last two weeks were great to watch.

Hendu
This has been a good season and with all of the question marks, injuries and struggles toward the end, I'm not too upset with how it ended. Of course I was hoping for more, but let's face it - the Rays are better. I'm proud of the 2008 White Sox and I hope we're back stronger and healthier in '09.

cheezheadsoxfan
When do 2009 tickets go on sale?

SoxSpeed22
Our achilles heel reared its ugly head again. Kenny will do his job over the offseason and we'll be back once we get healthy and re-tooled.
The better team won this series. I have no problem rooting for Tampa Bay for the rest of the way.
We came back from a 72 win season to win a division in thrilling fashion. I have no regrets. Hopefully 2009 will be one of the 8 in October in 2009.
See sig for what I have to look forward to in November. Go Bulls.

LITTLE NELL
Its just too bad that TCQ, Crede and Contreres got hurt. I just wonder how much further we would have gone.

Jjav829
10-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Damn. :(:

Thanks for the fun season, White Sox.

There are a lot of positive things that we can take from this season. A year ago we looked at this team and it seemed like we were lacking in good, young players. But a good offseason by KW and some great seasons by players, and the future is looking a lot brighter.

We have months to talk about what the Sox should do for next season, but for now, thanks White Sox organization for the good season. The game last Tuesday is one I'll never forget, and I doubt I'll ever attend a Sox game that I enjoy as much as that one.

We can discuss which players need to go on another day, but for now, thanks to all the Sox players who contributed in any way this year. You all helped make the exciting finish possible.

It's a shame it had to end. :gulp:

Jaysox
What a year!! No one was expecting this! I'm glad we've got some young players to build around. The situation we were in last year painted a grim picture for the future.

rookie
Thanks for the excitement that was TCQ :gulp:and TCM :gulp:

And for the original Blackout, which was the most exciting game that I have ever been to in person :gulp:

(And the irony is, if TCQ hadn't injured himself, I might never have gotten to experience it).

I love my Sox. I wouldn't be a fan of any other team.

kitekrazy

It's their first one.

MarySwiss

I couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks Sox for a very memorable season!!

Looking forward to 2009!

I agree as well. And sorry I missed your birthday, AZChiSoxFan. I hope it was great.

Meanwhile, we'll look forward to spring training. Wherever it is.

Brian26
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
A disappointing end to the season, but the last two weeks have been a great ride. I was fortunate enough to attend the last four must-win victories at home, and those'll go down as some of the greatest memories I've ever had at the Park. The team battled hard considering they were down three big guns, and hopefully TCQ is back at 100% next year. Tampa is a good team and they deserved to win this series.

See you guys next year.

doublem23
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm disappointed tonight, and I probably will be until the play-offs end, but considering what a mess the Sox looked like after last year's 72-win death march, I've pulled a 180 on the White Sox. I'm looking forward to the long, productive careers for Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, John Danks, and Gavin Floyd. They go into the 2009 off-season as the team to beat in the Central.

Hopefully KW is able to make the 2-3 moves that will make the Sox a 95-100 win team next year.

It's not like they lost to an inferior team. The Rays played good baseball, as they have all year. Obviously, I'd prefer to win, but we can still hang our head high and one day look back on this season with nothing but positive memories.

kitekrazy
10-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Last week was a wild ride. I hope Concast shows the playoff game against the Twins around the holidays.

Dan Mega
Walker/Corpseball and reliance on the homerun caught up with them as it eventually would. But hey, they won the division, surpassed expectations, etc. It was a season of what could have been. It was fun overall.

PeoriaSoxFan
I am very thankful for this season. I am disappointed yes and I certainly had many days of frustration this year, but, all in all, it was a very fun year. I got to go a bunch of games, many with my son and little girls. I saw opening day and was there for the one game playoff win. I am very proud of the Sox, Kenny, Ozzie, and the players. Great Season Sox! Thank you very much! I can't wait to see what KW does in the offseason. I have a good feeling. Get well TCQ and Jose too!

:gulp:Sox in '09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - What the hell am I going to do with myself now? I will miss Sox baseball.

guillensdisciple
10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Thank you 2008 Chicago White Sox for the year that wasn't meant to be. What a ride it was, what a heart- wrenching hell of a ride it was.

I remember from the first pitch I had my questions about this team but with each at- bat and each pitch I kept on seeing positives. Whether it be from Carlos and Alexei to Gavin and John, this team finally threw some light on the darkness that was the 2007 baseball season. Slowly we made ourselves one of the most lethal teams in baseball with consistent hitting and pitching and things looked great. Unfortunately pivotal players hit the injury list and the White Sox hit a huge skid. Yet they clawed and scratched and gave each of us a show- making it to the post- season and giving us something that we never expected.

I summarized my experience here when I can truly write an essay about this teams experience this year. As much of a bummer it is that the Sox did not advance further and our hitting looked atrocious, I expect this team to be a world championship team next year. This was just the beginning for the Sox this year, next year the weakness of the home run hitting will be changed, I think game three showed us why the philosophy has to be shifted. Expect the core to stay and the pitching to be further complemented with a solid fifth started. The top of the order will be completely different but should complement the power we will have in the middle.

Speed at the top, power in the middle, and contact at the end of the line-up will score us runs. Consistent good pitching will win us championships. Danks, Buerhle, and Gavin will be lights out.

Thank you White Sox for this past year, I will be dreaming of another Soxtober the next year.

Go White Sox!

anewman35
10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
After the Minnesota series, I was so disgusted that I almost gave up on baseball. Then, in just a week's worth of games, the Sox turned the season totally around, and I have nothing but positive feelings about it. They were never a great team, but they provided some great memories I'll never forget. Next year, let's win it all again!

BleacherBandit
10-06-2008, 07:32 PM
The Sox did it too in 05 in Boston. I agree. It's pointless.

Teal?

I just don't think it's as significant as the league champions celebration or the division champions celebration, but that's just me. Whatever.

thomas35forever
Say what you will about the 2008 White Sox. It was one helluva year. We were expected to finish fourth or at best, third. After all the talk about how Cleveland and Detroit were going to battle it out, we entered a good old-fashioned division race with the Twins and came out on top in a game that should go down in the Sox history books as the "Blackout Game." What's more, although we came up short in the end, we fought to stay in it the entire series.

That said, this team is full of promise. Danks and Floyd matured dramatically this year and should provide us with quality pitching for the next few seasons. Ramirez fills one of our holes for the long run. We have our superstar of the future in Carlos Quentin, Swisher can be productive throughout the year if he makes some adjustments, and if Linebrink comes back healthy next year, our bullpen should be lights out again. It'll take another arm or two to round it out, but as KW has shown, he can get the job done.

So in conclusion, thanks for the memories 2008 Chicago White Sox. Here's to the 2009 team being even better.

cheezheadsoxfan
I have a lot of faith in KW after Danks, Floyd, TCQ, TCM, etc. And I got to go to that tiebreaker game thanks to a very generous daughter. Absolutely wonderful night.

I look forward to spring.

Sockinchisox
Nice season, as someone previously stated things look a lot better than they did a year ago. We have some bright young stars here, lots of things to look forward to.

Let the offseason begin and airport phone calls be overheard.

turners56
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Somebody needs to compile all the great moments of the season. Floyd's 2 near no-hitters. Swisher's walk-off against Detroit. Quentin's walk-off against the Angels. The list goes on and on...this year was really packed with some dramatic moments.

tebman
10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
How many days 'til Opening Day?

I'm not surprised the Sox didn't get through this series. Like so many others, I was happy they got this far. Really looking forward to the hot stove season though -- we all know that Ninja Kenny is not going to sit still.

The team is one-dimensional and we all know that. So how to fix it? That's what's going to be fun to figure out this winter.

Thanks again, White Sox, for the roller coaster ride. It was fun. :gulp:

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Who here thought you guys would have had a division banner to raise next season? Not many I recall. It was an excellent year for a very good team.

guillensdisciple
10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
How many days 'til Opening Day?

I'm not surprised the Sox didn't get through this series. Like so many others, I was happy they got this far. Really looking forward to the hot stove season though -- we all know that Ninja Kenny is not going to sit still.

The team is one-dimensional and we all know that. So how to fix it? That's what's going to be fun to figure out this winter.

Thanks again, White Sox, for the roller coaster ride. It was fun. :gulp:

I expect this team to be a 95- 100 win team next year with great additions to the top of the order.
I expect a championship and will settle for no less.

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I forgot to mention how much I want Paulie back with us next year...none of this trade him crap...he really turned it on in the last month or so and I want him back....

Here's to you Paulie!!!!!

VA_GoGoSox
10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
This team could have quit so many times for so many reasons, but they fought to the bitter end. They made me darn proud to be a Sox fan.

I couldn't be sure from the broadcast, but it seemed like the fans were giving them a nice ovation after the game. They earned it.

guillensdisciple
10-06-2008, 07:37 PM
I forgot to mention how much I want Paulie back with us next year...none of this trade him crap...he really turned it on in the last month or so and I want him back....

Here's to you Paulie!!!!!
If it is for a great first hitter like Chone, I wouldn't mind... we HAVE to become more then a home run hitting team. The top of the order has to get on base so the middle could drive them in. We didn't have that this year. We need first to third runners as well as people who can steal.

whitesox901
This year will be one of my favorites.

1. We won a division with 88 games when Detroit or Cleveland were supposed to win with 95+

2. We found great young talent in TCQ, Danks, Floyd, & The Cuban Missile.

3. Even though in attendence I had a losing record, I had alot of fun at the games.

4. A nail bitting pennant race with ulcers, tums and alot of cursing

Even though we got eliminated in the ALDS, im glad it was by Tampa then Boston, The Angels or the Cubs (if we had played them in the WS)

Thanks alot Chicago White Sox,

GO BEARS! ATTACK THE PACK AND WIN THE NFC NORTH!
GO BLACKHAWKS! TOPPLE THE DEADWINGS IN THE CENTRAL
GO NORTHWESTERN! WIN THAT BIG-10!

vegyrex
Oh well, now its over. I wish we could have gone farther but getting as far as we did was an accomplishment.

2009 looks bright! :cool:

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Cheer for the Rays?

sox1970
10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Teal?

I just don't think it's as significant as the league champions celebration or the division champions celebration, but that's just me. Whatever.

Celebrate when you clinch a playoff spot? Yes.

Celebrate when you clinch a pennant? Of course.

Celebrate when you win a World Series? Goes without saying.

Popping corks after the division series is just...meh. I mean, until they have a shirt or a hat that says, "We won the division series!", it seems a little goofy.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Cheer for the Rays?

If they have to face the Red Sox? YES.

cheezheadsoxfan
10-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Cheer for the Rays?

I'm kinda leaning toward the Dodgers. Not so much the Cub thing but Koufax was my hero as a kid. :cool:

JB98
10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
The Sox conclude the 2008 season in much better shape than they were a year ago.

They have two young pitchers (Danks, Floyd) who appear on the verge of establishing themselves as top-of-the-rotation starters. Combine those two with Buehrle and you have the makings of a good rotation. We've discovered two young position players (Quentin, Ramirez) to build around. Our bullpen is in better shape than people think. Jenks, Linebrink and Thornton are pretty good pieces to build a relief corps around.

We won 17 more games than we did in 2007, plus a playoff game. KW will be aggressive this offseason. He will move to fix our weaknesses offensively. I expect good things in 2009.

Pale Hose Greg
I'm talking out both sides of my mouth. I think you should hold your team to the highest expectations possible. However, they were much better than I expected. All in all, a fun, yet maddening at times, season.
I'm still proud to be a White Sox fan and wouldn't trade it for any team on earth.

soxtalker
After the Sox beat Boston back in 2005, I remember an email exchange with a friend back in Boston. I commented to him how impressed I was with how gracious the Boston fans were in defeat. He, in turn, complimented the White Sox and pointed out that, while they wanted to win, it was much easier to be gracious after you've won it recently. Although it's a bit further out from the White Sox 2005 championship, I guess that I feel the same way about the Rays. They were the better team.

The Sox gave us a great season. We were missing something. Part of that was the injuries. But they compensated pretty well. Floyd and Danks became pitchers. Quentin and Ramirez a great emerging players.

It's hard to get into the World Series.

mjmcend
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I did not expect the Sox to make the playoffs this season, so I have already been beyond happy with the outcome before today's game. I'm not too bummed out.

KW is going to get some speed this offseason and maybe an RBI machine. You add those things with the young guys and veterans the Sox have, the team should be right back in the playoffs in 2009! I can't wait!

Having Quentin back will mean lots for this team. He might have made the difference in this series.

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Well on the plus side I guess we just have to focus on Blackhawks now....

manders_01
Oh Ozzie I ****ing LOVE you. From the post game show, to the effect of, "People don't realize how hard it is to get into the postseason. They think you write a book about it and you're in." Thank Ozzie for not being to mired down in sadness to add that little dig. :D:

MushMouth
A tough team to love because they did it all wrong. They swung for the fences, they couldn't bunt, they couldn't run the bases... the bullpen went from amazing to horrendous. But the starters are good. Potential to be very good.

A little more speed and D next year and we'll be back in the playoffs. I look forward to the first back-to-back playoffs for the sox in decades.

veeter
A divisional title, on top of sixteen or seventeen additonal wins from a horrible 2007. I'm very pleased. The Sox have so much to build on now, and it only took one year. I think Kenny is salivating for the hot stove to start up. I know I am. 2009 should be very fun.

Max Power
10-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Back in March I was just hoping we'd be playing meaningful games in September. I never thought we'd be playing meaningful games in October. It was a great season and we found some some players who will hopefully lead us to some greater seasons in the future. Thanks to the 2008 White Sox for making us proud to be Sox fans!

JB98
A divisional title, on top of sixteen or seventeen additonal wins from a horrible 2007. I'm very pleased. The Sox have so much to build on now, and it only took one year. I think Kenny is salivating for the hot stove to start up. I know I am. 2009 should be very fun.

There is so much more hope now than there was a year ago.

Rohan
Thanks for playing your hearts out...
And thanks for the memories.

turners56
10-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Cheer for the Rays?

It's officially Bears season now for me. :smile:

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Speaking of memories...anyone have a good link or making a nice tribute video to the 2008 team? YouTube anyone?

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I still feel that on paper this team was so much better when it comes to talent than the '05 team. That's where IMO it's a huge let down.

But talent doesn't win in this game. Luck, health, fundementals, & Momentum is what gets it done.

Kudos to this club but I still think there was still some left in the tank we didn't get from them.

thomas35forever
10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Speaking of memories...anyone have a good link or making a nice tribute video to the 2008 team? YouTube anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD205SKqlrI

SoxGirl4Life
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Let me take this moment to say that I LOVE my White Sox. And I love the way they didn't go down without a fight.

It was a great season. Sometimes frustrating, and hair-pulling, but alot of fun:
We won the division
We single handedly ended the Tigers, Indians, and Twins seasons (9th inning bomb by by Dye in Detroit; walk-off 3-run homer by Swish in the bottom of the 14th down a run; two home sweeps of the Indians; play-in game against Minny)
The four game sweep of the Twins
The play-in game was BEYOND incredible
The feeling that all of the fans are family and we are pulling for another member of the family.
I LOVE AJ
Our pitching was mostly spectacular
Back-to-back-to-back-to-back
TCQ!
TCM!
:D:

veeter
10-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I still feel that on paper this team was so much better when it comes to talent than the '05 team. That's where IMO it's a huge let down.

But talent doesn't win in this game. Luck, health, fundementals, & Momentum is what gets it done.

Kudos to this club but I still think there was still some left in the tank we didn't get from them.The difference was the bullpen. Hermanson, Politte and Cotts were my MVP's. Could have been lightning in a bottle, but Dotel is four steps down.

Frontman
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Well, the ride just pulled into the station; and its time to get off. The amusement park known as the 2008 season has closed to us.

For a team that was labelled the "worst" in the AL Central, they sure gave us some of the best of times.

It started out pretty good, it hit some valleys. We lost players we counted on, and others stepped up.

Who would of thought that some skinny kid from Cuba would give us this moment:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r24/Red_Chocolate/Reds%20Album/AlexeiRamirez.jpg

Who would of thought that a kid who never finished a season; who Kenny took a chance on would give us someone to cheer:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii82/knuth83/quentin.jpg

Anyone willing to lay money on that we had faith in two young arms, delivering in the biggest games of their careers:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/Minda33/Ladies%20stuff/340x-27.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk167/jkane352/gavinfloyd.jpg

We had our tried and true Sox heroes come through and keep their cool when the heat was on:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/cc72486/sbdSMJE7.jpg

This team was never "perfect." No team ever is, but at key times; it did lose some key players. Through it all, its skipper kept them playing, and kept Southside Hope alive:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g246/ChrisPaul_3/San%20Diego%20Padres/Players%20from%20Other%20Teams/capt01783602537d4d94a83023dd320165f.woeful_white_s ox_cx102.jpg

And they gave us the image that black is oh so beautiful.

Sure, the end comes too soon; but did it give us a ride. And after the pain of the 2007 campaign, they showed us hope for this team's immediate (and a bit longer) future.

Thank you 2008 Chicago White Sox. MAN, what fun we had; and can't wait to go on that ride again.

LoveYourSuit
There is so much more hope now than there was a year ago.

This is probably the best way to look at the glass half full. The youth we untapped this year with Gavin, Danks, Alexei, Quentin, & I would even throw Richard to that mix will play a huge part for the next few years.

I wish we can see more of this movement towards younger players and start unloading a few of the veterans.... a very tough task IMO.

Notice that all the guys on BOLD came outside of the organization.... a problem we need to fix quick down at the Farm.

whitesox901
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Let me take this moment to say that I LOVE my White Sox. And I love the way they didn't go down without a fight.

It was a great season. Sometimes frustrating, and hair-pulling, but alot of fun:

We won the division
We single handedly ended the Tigers, Indians, and Twins seasons (9th inning bomb by by Dye in Detroit; walk-off 3-run homer by Swish in the bottom of the 14th down a run; two home sweeps of the Indians; play-in game against Minny)
The four game sweep of the Twins
The play-in game was BEYOND incredible
The feeling that all of the fans are family and we are pulling for another member of the family.
I LOVE AJ
Our pitching was mostly spectacular
Back-to-back-to-back-to-back
TCQ!
TCM!

:D:

I was at that game, it was awsome! :D:

Soxman219
We will win the world series in 2009. Book it!

Thank you Sox for a great season.

getonbckthr
Being very dissappointed and depressed right now I needed to find a bright spot. I found it. Orlando Cabrera will never grace our locker room again. I'm upset cause I figured the Sox would win the division. I had high expectations for this team. I feel sorry for guys like Thome and Griffey in what could have been their final oppertunity. Unfortunately combined they didn't do much this postseason (4/18 1 rbi 0 HRS, 2 BB's).

Soxman219
10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
We will win the world series in 2009. I am using the tired, overused phrase "book it" because I actually have nothing interesting to say!

Thank you Sox for a great season.

Whoa! who changed my message?:scratch:

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Frontman: That was so beautiful...almost made me cry!

Good point bringing up Richard...I think he has a lot of promise...I love his delivery...lets see how he does next year....

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
The difference was the bullpen. Hermanson, Politte and Cotts were my MVP's. Could have been lightning in a bottle, but Dotel is four steps down.

I think I put the bullpen situation as an unknown there. I honestly feel that our pen was running on fumes when we got to post season that year. Jenks and Cotts were the only two 100% healthy and reliable arms down there when it was all set and done. Polite was starting to hit a wall as evidence of his 2006 performance and Hermanson couldn't get out of bed with his bad back. What saved us big time was not using a single pen guy for the 4 CGs in the ALCS..... the story could have been different if Ozzie had to go to them that series.

Jurr
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
We knew from the get-go that this offense was fundamentally flawed, and it showed at the end. The pieces are around to quickly make this team dangerous. If you're Kenny Williams, you MUST find a way to get some of the chaff off of this roster.

Build around Quentin, Dye, Ramirez, Danks, Buehrle, Floyd, Thornton, Jenks, Swisher, and Pierzynski. The rest are totally expendable. Ship 'em.

PKalltheway
10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Getting into the postseason is hard enough, let alone doing it without your MVP candidate for the last month. After losing 90 games last year, this is one hell of a comeback.

I had a lot of fun this year. Thank you White Sox for one hell of a season, and here's to getting it done in 2009!:gulp:

TDog
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
The Sox aren't that far away from being a team that should advance rather than a team that can advance in the postseason. The Contreras injury almost killed this team. The Quentin injury hurt. The Crede injury forced a good bench player into starting. Crede's defense this year was probably affected by the injury that eventually ended his season.

You never know when you're going to get back to the postseason so you want to get as much out of it as you can. When Bill Melton talked about the parade being a "once-in-a-lifetime experience," people got upset. Of course we'll be back, people say. When the White Sox lost Game 4 of the ALCS 25 years ago, everyone believed they would be back, and in those days there was no ALDS to deal with. When the Cubs lost to the Padres a year later, Leon Durham reported shrugged and said it was OK because the Cubs would be back.

It's too bad the White Sox couldn't get more out of this trip to the postseason. I don't know if they will be back next year. The division race goes on for six months and all kinds of unexpected things tend to happen. You don't know what the Indians, Tigers, Twins and Royals will do in the offseason. And if you're looking ahead, the Sox finish the 2009 season on the road in Detroit. But I believe Sox management knows what they need to do more than the fans and will do what they can to bring a winner to Chicago again.

But how could a White Sox fan not be happy with the season?

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
We knew from the get-go that this offense was fundamentally flawed, and it showed at the end. The pieces are around to quickly make this team dangerous. If you're Kenny Williams, you MUST find a way to get some of the chaff off of this roster.

Build around Quentin, Dye, Ramirez, Danks, Buehrle, Floyd, Thornton, Jenks, Swisher, and Pierzynski. The rest are totally expendable. Ship 'em.

I think to be realistic, both Dye and Swisher will be easier to trade than Konerko and Thome.

rookie
10-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh Ozzie I ****ing LOVE you. From the post game show, to the effect of, "People don't realize how hard it is to get into the postseason. They think you write a book about it and you're in." Thank Ozzie for not being to mired down in sadness to add that little dig. :D:

I heard that too and absolutely loved it. I like how he prefaced it "people in Chicago" so we would all know who he's talking about.

Well, the ride just pulled into the station; and its time to get off. The amusement park known as the 2008 season has closed to us.

Sure, the end comes too soon; but did it give us a ride. And after the pain of the 2007 campaign, they showed us hope for this team's immediate (and a bit longer) future.

Thank you 2008 Chicago White Sox. MAN, what fun we had; and can't wait to go on that ride again.

:D: Awesome post. And the pics are a great touch.

diehard
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Tonight was bittersweet. We were beat by a better team but you have to salute the Sox's guts. You also have to love Kenny's attitude.
Plus next season, I don't want to hear any dumba** tell me what a lousy manager Ozzie is. The man has taken us to the post season twice in the last 4 years.
See you in 09.

slowlearner
10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Plenty of time this offseason to figure out what to fix and how to fix it. The Sox gave us a better season than all but the most optimistic among us could realistically have thought possible. I'm honestly thankful for that and am really looking forward to 2009.

SoxGirl4Life
10-06-2008, 08:13 PM
oh ozzie i ****ing love you. From the post game show, to the effect of, "people don't realize how hard it is to get into the postseason. They think you write a book about it and you're in." thank ozzie for not being to mired down in sadness to add that little dig. :d:

+100!

Hitmen77
10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Lots of great comments already on this thread.

Thank you White Sox for a wild, exciting ride in 2008. Too bad we lost Quentin, Contreras, Crede, and Linebrink for significant amounts of time due to injuries.....but I'll fondly remember that the Sox still won the division title in game 163.

KW has some work to do this offseason to take this team to the next level (it was so obvious that the Rays are a better team than us). First and foremost is the need to get away from our one-dimensional offense.

On the positive side, it looks like we can expect bright futures for Danks, Floyd, Alexei, and Quentin. Hopefully we can even add Clayton Richard to that list too.

I hope PK and Thome don't show continued decline and that Dye doesn't age too badly next year (forget it guys, all 3 of them are coming back).....we'll see. I have to hope Swisher rebounds next year from an awful '08 (I think we're stuck with him, Kenny isn't going to sell low on this guy).

So long OC, Crede, and Griffey (I hope we get 2 great draft picks out of OC).

I can't wait for this team to report to Tucson (...or maybe Glendale). :gulp:

ChiSoxFan81
10-06-2008, 08:17 PM
This season was one to remember, even if we didn't end up with the ultimate prize. When the critics told us we didn't have a chance, we battled all year and captured the division in a most spectacular fashion. It was a very exciting year, with many great moments. In fact, I attended more games this year than in any other year before. We had near no-hitters, dramatic 9th inning or later HRs, an MVP candidate, and a ROY candidate. We got an unforgettable tiebreaker game and division championship, and a postseason berth alongside the northsiders. I will not forget this year. It's right next to 2005 for me.

Cheers to the 2008 White Sox! :gulp:

whitesoxfan
10-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm looking forward to next year and beyond with this team. The core/nucleus of this team will be extremely exciting to watch for years to come. You have two guys in Danks and Floyd that should be mainstays at the top of rotation for YEARS to come. Buehrle should be solid as always. If Vazquez is the #5, it won't be bad at all. If we add someone like Derek Lowe, that would be instrumental in us going deep.

Obviously OC is going to be gone. Acquiring Figgins makes a ton of sense, and that's what I'd like to do. If we can't do that, I'd sign Durham to 2B for a year or two until Beckham is ready. Otherwise, with a healthy Quentin, this lineup should continue to mash. But getting a speed guy for the top of the order would be big.

I really think Kenny set this team up nicely to contend year in and year out for quite some time. His big acquisitions of Danks, Floyd, and Quentin proved to be monstrous. I think we'll be right back here next October with a much better shot of going deeper into the postseason.

Soxman219
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I pray the White Sox have an injury-free season next. We'll have TCQ, TCM, great young pitchers, and hopefully Figgns and Cano, who I hear is on the market. Things are looking up, feliow Sox fans.

roylestillman
10-06-2008, 08:35 PM
You stole my thunder Frontman. All I kept thinking was that 2008 was a hell of a roller coaster ride and I want to go on it again

The Tiebreaker made it all worthwhile. The second greatest game I've seen in person.

Random memories:
Crede's Opening Day Home Run
Back to Back to Back to Back
Konerko's walk off end to that marathon game
Farnsworth blowing the Yankees game.
The seven run come from behind day game.
T. Rex first pitch
Aleixi's slam vs. Detroit

A lot more, but I'm tired. Think I need Tommy John in the off-season from all that towel waving the last few games

wassagstdu
10-06-2008, 08:44 PM
4-1 in elimination games down the stretch. More than the '05 team, who never had to face one. Not too bad. Salvaged the season.

hi im skot
10-06-2008, 08:51 PM
They drive me crazy, but I love this team.

Thanks for some great memories, guys.

hi im skot
10-06-2008, 09:09 PM

I'm joining the Y.

WhiteSoxOnly
10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Can't wait for spring training...with a little tinkering we could
be REALLY good next year.Just think of how we felt after last
season when there wasn't much to look forward to.And then
in the past off-season when Kenny missed out on his first
couple of targets and everybody thought here we go again.
This team,warts and all,never quit,never packed it in and
made us proud...we all KNEW we never had the best team
at any point in the season but there can always be some
satisfaction in knowing they played hard,they played with
passion and they got the most out what they had.While
it is nowhwere near the best Sox team we've seen thru
the years,it will always be one of my favorites.And the
young studs we have now are the foundation for the next
few years...pitchers & catchers reporting to Arizona can't
come fast enough.

GreenWoman3212
10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I can't help but feel a little proud of them. I know I'm proud to be a Sox fan.

I was following the game on gamecast, so I didn't see any of it, but did our boys get a standing ovation at the end of the game? They deserve it.

chisoxmike
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
A deflating end to a good season. I would've liked the Sox to bring it back to Tampa, but the Rays are simply a better team.

It was fun at the park this year with some of the "pull out of their ass" wins they had. But they were also a maddening team at points, especially in September. I was lucky enough to go to the three must win games Sept 28-30 and Game 3.

I'm not bitter about 2008 and I think they should be just as good if not better next year. They certainly exceeded my expectations this year.

The offense needs to be worked on as well as some pitching issues, but otherwise I think the Sox are in good shape.

We'll see...

hawkjt
10-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Thoughts that stand out in my mind:

making the playoffs is darn hard ..it can never be taken for granted or assumed.
winning in the playoffs is even harder...11-1 is insane. Thanks 05 Sox.
Baseball magic is real...Rays have it this year. Sox had it in 05. It is comprised of good health,especially at playoff time, career years from journeymen,stars being star-like,and some good fortune. Sox had a little this year but not enough.

Angels won 97 games and won their division by 20+ games yet the Sox won as many as them in the playoffs...unless they make a comeback here vs the Red Sox...not gonna happen.

Ozzie not only makes White Sox baseball even funner...he knows what he is doing.
Kenny has the brass to handle one of the tougher jobs around. He takes more gambles than most GMs and that takes guts...many have worked out just fine..now, go find another pair of position players like TCM and TCQ.

Paulie never gave in to the despair he had to feel. His trade value is far less than his value to this team ...I predict a big comeback year for him.

Thome drives me crazy also...but I still like the big lug and thank him for the biggest hit of many years ...461 ft worth. And btw...still the best DH in the league...now figure out how to beat that shift once in a while.

God knows...I luv a lot of these guys...Burls, Bobby, JD,AJ,PK, even Juanie...sure they all fail and hiss me off but they are family.

Nothing in life is guaranteed so I have no expectations right now..that is for later...but what I do know is that this team fought hard and got about all they had out of their talent.We lost our only two All-Stars to season ending injuries along with our opening day starter and we still hung tough and won just enough huge games to take the AL Central. It was a good season...thanks Sox.

BoysMom3
10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
A great and fun season. I can't wait until next year. I'll be cheering on the Rays now - they look really good.

tacosalbarojas
10-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Great thread...has me geared up for April 6, 2009. It can't get here soon enough!

ChiSoxGirl
10-06-2008, 09:58 PM

I heard that quote and it was CLASSIC! I immediately thought the same thing you did. A subtle reference to This is the Year...? :wink:

WhiteSox5187
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Besides '05 this has probably been the most fun season I can think of in my life time. If Gavin and Danks keep pitching like this, TCQ stays healthy and Alexei doesn't make any giant leaps backwards, we're in pretty good shape.

MiamiSpartan
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Agree totally. Did not expect them to get this far. This team had a lot of weaknesses, but still managed to stay competitive against a much younger, stronger ballclub. Can't wait for next year...
Here's hoping that KW gets some more arms, and speed in the offseason...

manders_01
10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Lots of great comments already on this thread.

Thank you White Sox for a wild, exciting ride in 2008. Too bad we lost Quentin, Contreras, Crede, and Linebrink for significant amounts of time due to injuries.....but I'll fondly remember that the Sox still won the division title in game 163.

KW has some work to do this offseason to take this team to the next level (it was so obvious that the Rays are a better team than us). First and foremost is the need to get away from our one-dimensional offense.

On the positive side, it looks like we can expect bright futures for Danks, Floyd, Alexei, and Quentin. Hopefully we can even add Clayton Richard to that list too.

I hope PK and Thome don't show continued decline and that Dye doesn't age too badly next year (forget it guys, all 3 of them are coming back).....we'll see. I have to hope Swisher rebounds next year from an awful '08 (I think we're stuck with him, Kenny isn't going to sell low on this guy).

So long OC, Crede, and Griffey (I hope we get 2 great draft picks out of OC).

I can't wait for this team to report to Tucson (...or maybe Glendale). :gulp:

Although Griff has been with three teams, he's stuck with the other two for some time (10 and 9 seasons). He seems to me the type that wants to stay put and would possibly make concessions to do so. Is that a possiblity with us? Then again, how many seasons does Griffey have left?

DSpivack
10-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Although Griff has been with three teams, he's stuck with the other two for some time (10 and 9 seasons). He seems to me the type that wants to stay put and would possibly make concessions to do so. Is that a possiblity with us? Then again, how many seasons does Griffey have left?

He won't be playing every day, however, and he's never been a bench player. Who's to say he'd want to do that?

Woofer
10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I can't help but feel a little proud of them. I know I'm proud to be a Sox fan.

I was following the game on gamecast, so I didn't see any of it, but did our boys get a standing ovation at the end of the game? They deserve it.

Yes. There was a couple of long cheers after the game, most of the team was already off the field, so the bullpen guys, including Bobby, gave the only acknowledgment to the crowd. It was sort of somber, it seemed like most of the crowd stayed in their seats for a while to take in enough atmosphere to get us all through the long winter.

It was a stressful year, but they did better than my expectations. They made me proud to be a Sox fan, and they fought and lost to a better team in the playoffs. I look forward to next year, I am sure that Kenny Williams will work his butt off to make us competitive again next year.

Rounding_Third
10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Good point bringing up Richard...I think he has a lot of promise...I love his delivery...lets see how he does next year....

Was it just me or did he remind anyone else of Jim Carey in "The Mask" every time he did that relief smile just before he'd get the sign.

He's Smoooookin'!

jabrch
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I had a lot of fun this season - the three straight elimination games were cool.

8/15/08 was my personal favorite. Seeing Back to Back to Back to Back HRs was awesome!

Thanks Sox.

See you next year.

Iron Dragon2
10-06-2008, 10:29 PM
A tough team to love because they did it all wrong. They swung for the fences, they couldn't bunt, they couldn't run the bases... the bullpen went from amazing to horrendous. But the starters are good. Potential to be very good.

A little more speed and D next year and we'll be back in the playoffs. I look forward to the first back-to-back playoffs for the sox in decades.

I believe it would be the first time in franchise history.

So let's get some speed and pitching and do it in '09.

Let's go Blackhawks!!!

mccoydp
10-06-2008, 10:39 PM

For a team that was labelled the "worst" in the AL Central, they sure gave us some of the best of times.

It started out pretty good, it hit some valleys. We lost players we counted on, and others stepped up.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r24/Red_Chocolate/Reds%20Album/AlexeiRamirez.jpg

Who would of thought that a kid who never finished a season; who Kenny took a chance on would give us someone to cheer:

Anyone willing to lay money on that we had faith in two young arms, delivering in the biggest games of their careers:

We had our tried and true Sox heroes come through and keep their cool when the heat was on:

This team was never "perfect." No team ever is, but at key times; it did lose some key players. Through it all, its skipper kept them playing, and kept Southside Hope alive:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g246/ChrisPaul_3/San%20Diego%20Padres/Players%20from%20Other%20Teams/capt01783602537d4d94a83023dd320165f.woeful_white_s ox_cx102.jpg

That was excellent. We really need to step back and reflect on what a great season this was! :bandance:

soxfan1965
10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Great season White Sox, your persevence of this 2008 season will be remembered. For 2008, perhaps like the movie The Natural, the drama was to get into the post-season rather than win the World Series. The Sox provided that with the single game win over the Twins for the Central, after two must-wins. And perhaps they could have stole the series from the better Rays team as Chicago's survior team. One thing I liked that came out of adversity with the Twins in Sept is the high attention and interest in the Sox by the media, overtaking the Cubs. The young talent that emerged during the season, and the "blackout" a new tradition with cool looking fans toward season end, is great for the team! Like "Cardiac Cats" football at Northwestern, the Sox found ways of winning after almost being declared dead. As the Sox rebuild in the years ahead as the legacy "no trade clause" players provide leadership as they make way for the next generation of young talent, the seeds of fun planted by this late 2008 season should sustain the Sox fan base. Until a Rays-like winning team can emerge, playing winning Ozzie ball, and an encore of 2005.

A. Cavatica
10-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm happy with the season. We won a fluke AL Central title to balance out some better-deserved ones we missed. We ended up with bragging rights over the Twins, Tigers, Indians, and Cubs. We came up with a surprise MVP candidate and a surprise ROY candidate, and Clayton Richard might turn out OK.

If KW can improve the team as much this offseason as he did last offseason, we'll repeat.

IronFisk
10-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Probably the best I have ever felt about the Sox after a post-season loss. This was a very good year - we overacheived and layed a solid foundation for 09.

The ride to the division title was as nerve-wrenching and rewarding as anything I can remember (yes, even 05 which was just surreal). The tiebreaker win stands as the best game I have ever attended. Seeing the place erupt with unbridled extacy after BA's catch will be firmly rooted in my memory banks. Also having my son with me to experience it that night goes beyond words.

Good show Sox! I'm already geeked for spring :bandance:

Domeshot17
10-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I just got in, so sorry if this has all been said. It hurts, it still feels like a punch to the stomach feeling. However, the more I think about it, the more you can't feel let down by this team. I felt for a while like we rolled over and played dead this series, but the truth is, we were just so over matched, especially without Quentin.

Look at the year we had. If someone told you Javy would be totally useless and Floyd led the team in victories, Konerko would be bad half the year playing through injuries, Thome would have a very down year, OC would just be average, AJ just OK, Swisher Awful, Crede hurt, JD would collapse in August and September and we would lose our Jenks and Linebrink tag team for a huge chunk of time would anyone think we had a shot at the playoffs or would most think it was 2007 all over again? This team did fight, and it did more than it should with what it had. You can ONLY hope Kenny sees this and improves the team and doesn't look at it and think if only Swisher and PK and Thome all come back it could be a world series team.

The team has holes, big ones. We need speed and we have 2 positions we should be able to get it from in the Infield with openings. I'm all for trading for Figgins and Signing Furcal because I love TCM at 2b. We need more than anything a true, number 1 SP. Those are very hard to get, but they also move all the time. Dan Haren last year, CC, they are out there to be had. If we get a guy who can match up with ANYONE in the playoffs, put Danks 2 who can grow into that Ace role, Buehrle and Floyd in either order 3 and 4 its golden.

I know I hate saying this because it sounds Cub Bashing, but its very different first round losses. They have by far the most TALENTED roster in the playoffs. There should be NO team that can compete with Zambrano Harden and Dempster, with a great pen and deep lineup. Those fans until pitchers and catchers report have to live with feeling like they failed.

We did not fail, we overachived, and when we got to September with the Big Boys in the AL, we hit the terrible triangle of being unhealthy, not as talented, and really out of gas from the long fight just to get there.

I was there in 2005, and I still believe I have never felt a game as powerful and the energy so out of control nuts as I did at the Cell during the play in game. Good for our Boys, and lets hope we build off it. If we can get Swisher back to normal, fill some holes, not count on injured players like Crede and Contreras, and shore up the pen (I'm sorry if this stunts his growth, but Richard needs to be used 1 of 2 ways next year, in a trade for a horse ace SP or in the pen because that is his true calling) we are going to be a force next year, and maybe primed for a DEEP post season run.

chisoxfanatic
10-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I would be lying if I said I did not shed a tear while walking out of that ballpark tonight. Actually, more than one came out. Before actually leaving, I had to stop and look back at the field one last time from behind home plate. Knowing that there will be no more Sox games to go to for a long while is pretty saddening; however, we are fortunate to have had our team as one of the last eight standing.

The way they got into the postseason was the most thrilling way that it could've happened. There's no better way than to win a tie-breaker in your own ballpark against one of your most hated rivals.

The emergence of TCQ, TCM, Floyd, and Danks is incredible! I thought it would take the later two at least another year to get in the swing of things in the big leagues. I was feeling very down about our starting rotation, thinking Buehrle was the only thing we had going for us with a significant drop-off after that. Thank you for maturing so quickly, you two! TCQ and TCM just came out of nowhere in my book! Looking at the considerable drop-off since TCQ went down, it is obvious that he's the MVPest of the MVPs.

Joe Crede's injury allowed us to see Juan Uribe in a more special light. I think 3B is his best position, and he most definitely flourished when called upon. If Crede is indeed gone, I am definitely confident that we have a quality guy to take over at the hot corner for at least a few more years.

As great as Bad Bobby is, Matt Thornton has become my favorite guy out of the bullpen. I love how composed he is for the most part, like ice is inside of his veins. He usually seems to know what pitch to use when, and can get out of almost any jam. He's a gamer, and I'm glad we have him as our 7th/8th inning guy.

With that said, I've got a ton of Blackhawks games to go to, starting next Monday. LET'S--GO--HAWKS!!! Hopefully Brent Seabrook and Jonathan Toews will lead that team to the Cup!

Rockabilly
10-07-2008, 12:03 AM
We had a great season..

I am very proud of the Sox because we didn't give up after Carlos went down...

We will be back next year a lot stronger...

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-07-2008, 06:52 AM
I have to agree with alot of the posters here - watching the loss yesterday was a bit said, a bit disappointing, but all in all, I am PROUD to be a Sox fan and am happy at what they got done despite injuries and age that crept up on the team.

3 teams in 3 days, and the tiebreaker game will personify the 2008 White Sox. Can't wait til Opening Day!!

Frankfan4life
10-07-2008, 08:55 AM
High hopes but no illusions. That about sums up the season for me. We can only wonder what might have been had we had a healthy Contreas, Crede and Quentin for the whole season.

I'm not disappointed, injuries happen to every team. We just couldn't overcome ours. Nevertheless, this team gutted it out to the end. Being there for the division clincher will always be the defining moment for me this season. Thanks Sox!

palehozenychicty
10-07-2008, 09:21 AM
As everyone has mentioned, the 2008 Sox had a great transitional year. They've established a core to build around in both the rotation and diamond. They have a premiere prospect slated for 2010 or 2011. They have another lefty whose fight supercedes his natural abilities.

The tiebreaker was filled with tension and glee as the Sox finally, FINALLY, beat the Twins to get into the postseason. Brian's catch was a perfect ending.

I wasn't even upset with the loss yesterday, as the Rays are just relentless with their speed and athleticism. They've been beating up the Yankees with it over the past two-three years, but with Longoria and Pena supplying power, and after they cleaned up the bullpen issues, they're as good as anyone in the game. They also have a ton of young starters just waiting for a shot in their system. I hope that they can win it all, to prove to the pathetic owners in Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Texas, Washington, and Baltimore that it can get done, if you do it right.

Ken Williams has to sharpen the sword, so to speak, and trim the fat off this roster to get a lean ribeye. I'll be ready to see it up close, and have some sea salt ready. :D:

WizardsofOzzie
10-07-2008, 09:23 AM
2006 was heartbreaking to miss the playoffs
2007 was just embarassing
2008 I'm really proud of what our team accomplished. People texted me to try and rub it in and It didn't phase me at all. I didn't expect the Sox to make the playoffs this year and we had some emerging stars carry us to that point. The team never gave up, and for that I am grateful and can hold my head high despite a first round exit. 09 should be exciting!

voodoochile
10-07-2008, 09:33 AM
As an unabashed and unapologetic optimist, I normally get a bit down for a few days when the Sox season ends. But last night and today, I am smiling. That was a wild ride and as many have pointed out, it was unexpected.

This team not only made the playoffs and fought hard once there, they got younger and stronger for next year. They developed some talent that will be here for a long time.

Couple more timely hits on Friday and they would still be playing too boot, but I'm not here to talk about the past...

Looking forward to an exciting off season to figure out who goes where (though I'm not expecting nor demanding major changes) I expect KW to fill a few gaps with FA/trade acquisitions and the sign of someone to be starter 5 so Richar can continue to develop and not be rushed and to go back to war next year on a positive note.

It was a lot of fun, thanks White Sox...

:)

:moonwalk:

NLaloosh
10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Thank you Ozzie Guillen for a great managerial job. You must have gone through a 55 gallon drum of advil.

Thank you Kenny Williams for a phenomenal organizational turnaround from this day last year. I am elated to be a White Sox fan and very much looking forward to the exciting future of this franchise.

Thank you Jerry Reinsdorf. Thank you for loving the White Sox and for allowing for one of the highest payrolls in the game. Oh, and especially for making U.S. Cellular a fantastic ballpark and clearly the best one in Chicago!

Thank you Brooks Boyer. You've infused Sox fans with a renewed excitement and passion.

Thank you to all WHITE SOX PLAYERS that stepped on the field this year. You all brought your best each day and gave us fans a POST-SEASON!

Please add anything in this spirit.................

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I think someone else mentioned it already but was anyone else impressed with how dman good Thorton was this year? He had some ups and downs but if you take a step back he was almost more consistent with Bobby....

oeo
10-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I think someone else mentioned it already but was anyone else impressed with how dman good Thorton was this year? He had some ups and downs but if you take a step back he was almost more consistent with Bobby....

Harold Reynolds says he thinks Thornton has a very bright future (at the young age of 32). :?:

Hopefully Thornton can repeat next year. He had a pretty good year for us in 2006, then stunk up the place in 2007.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-07-2008, 10:02 AM

Frontman, that is the best post I've seen in all my years on this board. That pretty much sums it up for me too.

KW knows what this team needs so I'm hoping for an interesting offseason.

BigKlu59
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Yup,....Finally got off of the rollercoaster and I feel the need to heave... I know they've lost,but even in defeat have a good feeling about the organization as a whole. I'm chalking this one up to "what could have been" if TCQ and Joe were available. In 2005 the clutch hits were there...In 2008 we came up high and dry. When we did go deep, instead of 2 or 3 crossing the plate, we got a taste of one is the loneliest number. Work on more situational hitting next year, get a leadoff hitter with some speed on the base path to manufacture some small ball runs and the pieces fall into place.

I know alot of us expected more,we hate to ******* lose, but we'll be back again here next season. Call me an eternal optimist, but Dorpman,Ozzman and Kenny have this team ready to be in the mix each and every season. If not Central Divison Winners, at least in the Wild Card chase. I grew up watchin the Sox in the 60's and could only dream of what could have happened if they had the WC back then... Bottom line is we can count on our Sox to be contending each and every year, and that is a great feeling.. A feeling that we will be as excited in October each year as we are in April..., but in our own cynical way :cool: Been a long time coming to have such a consistantly contending team in Chicago since the 60's Sox and Hawks,80-90 Bears and the Jordan Bull's...

We'll be back next year.. count on it !!!!

BigKlu59

:bigklu

Palehose Pete
10-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks, White Sox, for an entertaining and gutsy end to '08!

Go get 'em in '09!

Elgin Sox Fan
10-07-2008, 12:38 PM
The saddest part about this year is we were sneaking up on everyone, including most of us. It would have been great to sneak right up to the WS and meet the media, & worldwide fan favorite the anointed cubbies. Kick their asses in 4 straight and end their moaning and chirping for good.
This was their chance to get there. We will be there again in the very near future. They, on the other hand won't. The way they mortgaged their future, they will be back to playing their can't miss prospects because a bailout program won't be there.
Although I know it's early but a lot of them (the ones I've talked to) have really lost the wind in their sails. They are vocalizing to a Sox fan that they are questioning themselves, "Why am I a cub fan??? My answer is always the same "BECAUSE YOU'RE A DUMB ASS"

Thanks KW, Ozzie & Company, for a surprisingly fun year, that gave me heart attacks & fits of anger along with unbelievable highs and excitement. Make a few changes and we are good to go for years to come.

GO GO White Sox

Gerry
10-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Well, like the title says, it was a weird season, at least for me. I never really expected one like this. It was also the least (of the few) stressful postseason's I've watched the Sox play in. I wasn't going nuts or nervous or anything like back in 05'.

And I don't even really feel that bad. Not as bad as I should be. I mean, think about it, how bad do you really feel? I feel pretty good actually. Why? Well we had a great adventure, we didn't get killed (which is a feature I always like) and we found Lincoln Washburn''s gold!

ElCanuque
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
The task now is to reassemble the team to contend again next year. Ken Williams has earned his money getting the Sox back to this level, now back to the 2005 step. That should mean dumping Cabrera and looking to pick up some speed (Scotty Podsednik, where art thou!).

Thanks Sox for an exciting, if not gut-wrenching and hand-wringing season. I'm choosing to remember fending off the Twins rather than getting beat by a tough Tampa team. I just hope we don't have to watch a World Series inside a dome this year.

sullythered
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, like the title says, it was a weird season, at least for me. I never really expected one like this. It was also the least (of the few) stressful postseason's I've watched the Sox play in. I wasn't going nuts or nervous or anything like back in 05'.

And I don't even really feel that bad. Not as bad as I should be. I mean, think about it, how bad do you really feel? I feel pretty good actually. Why? Well we had a great adventure, we didn't get killed (which is a feature I always like) and we found Lincoln Washburn''s gold!
I think this was the strangest White Sox season that I can remember. I never had a solid idea about this team. It was like a transitional year in which we made the playoffs. Odd. Because of it, though, I feel like we could be awesome in '09. With the right moves, obviously.

SpiderJames
10-07-2008, 01:43 PM
It was also the least (of the few) stressful postseason's I've watched the Sox play in. I wasn't going nuts or nervous or anything like back in 05'.

A 15 game lead in August down to 2.5, you werent nervous. I was sweating bullets the whole post season too. We almost blew game 3 of the ALDS, we lost game 1 of the ALCS, and almost lost game 2, we almost lost game 2 of the WS. It might not seem like it, but we all were nervous throughout the entire postseason. At least until after game 4 :D

sullythered
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM
They have another lefty whose fight supercedes his natural abilities.

If you're talking about Johnny Danks, he has an enormous amount of natural ability.

asindc
10-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I feel very good about this year. Since I am an ardent KW supporter, I'm thinking he feels vindicated for this year. He has been saying all along that he wanted to change the attitude of this franchise and look to compete every year. This year proves to me that he will work hard to turn those words into action.

Given that TCQ, Contreras, and Crede were not available for the ALDS, I think this result is not surprising. TB finally proved to me in Sept. that they were indeed better than I thought. They were the better team in this series. Hats off to them (they should still be contracted, along with the Marlins, though).

As for the dome thing, normally I would not want a World Series played in a dome, either, but since the choice is that or seeing Boston in there... well, you guys know.