PDA

View Full Version : Best 3b

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 07:05 PM
After the dreck that is SS, perhaps it would be fun to talk about a position where we actually have some talent. Who would you want playing 3b on your team?

munchman33
10-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Anyone who doesn't vote for Arod doesn't know what he's talking about. Arod is the best overall player in baseball, and perhaps the greatest ever.

Lefty34
10-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Anyone who doesn't vote for Arod doesn't know what he's talking about. Arod is the best overall player in baseball, and perhaps the greatest ever.

I want to petition that A-Rod be added to the SS list, please.

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM

I'd agree he is the second best player in baseball at the moment and the second best player of the past 20 years (I'd take Pujols over him now and think that Bonds had more value, but of course with Bonds we have the entire steroids issue).

However, given his defense and Logoria's abilities at 3b I think he's not as far as behind as one might initially believe. A-Rod's still the better player though.

Eddo144
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Basically, everyone above me is spot on. Barring a bad injury, Rodriguez will blow by the career HR record and go down as one of the ten best players of all time.

Longoria looks like he'll be the best 3B in the league in a few years, but this title is still A-Rod's.

getonbckthr
10-06-2008, 09:04 PM
When A-Rod decides to perform in the clutch he will get the nod.

FedEx227
10-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Figgins is spelled Figgins, not Figgens. Just a heads up.

Btw, A-Rod, by a lot. Don't give me any bull**** about playoffs, clutch, blah blah...

Also who voted for Crede. Please make yourself known so I can throw stuff at you.

Lefty34
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM

He'll worry about "clutch" (existence still in question) as soon as he stops worrying about being in the top of the league in VORP every year. That, and when he stops getting on base at a ridiculous pace, hitting .300+ and chasing the all-time HR record and being the youngest player to break all the records. But after all that, yeah, "clutch".

palehozenychicty
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
A-Rod by far. He's a great player, but I still think he's a loser.

chisoxmike
10-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Somehow I hit Mora and not A-Rod.

But as others has said, A-Rod is the best player in baseball. Thus, he is the best 3B. And no, Joe Crede is not.

hi im skot
10-10-2008, 10:54 AM

/ESPN'd

NLaloosh
10-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Really, 12 votes for Longoria being better than ARod right now? What is this ? A cub fan site?

Lefty34
10-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Really, 12 votes for Longoria being better than ARod right now? What is this ? A cub fan site?

A-Rod isn't clutch, didn't you hear? And that's what you need to be in order to be considered a good baseball player: considered "great" in some dubious category of stats.

FedEx227
10-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Sad.

But didn't you hear? A-Rod puts up monster numbers for the sole purpose of not helping his team win the game. He drives runners in and hits home runs, but it's all for the bad of the team. He never tries to drive people in he just on mistake hits the ball and does it. And get this, he even made the Yankees sign a bunch of ****ty free agent pitchers!! AARRRRGGHHH!!!!

Billy Ashley
10-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Warp 3:

Alex Rodriquez- 10.1
Longoria- 9.2

The difference isn't as big as most of us would likely believe at first. The main issue is that A-rod is an average defender while Longoria is a very good one, that closes the gap a bit. Now Warp 3 is far from perfect (so before I get assaulted for using it, please note that I'm stating that it has serous flaws and am only using it as an illustration as to how they may be closer than one would think intuitively) and that's still a significant edge on A-Rod's side but given their respective ages I wouldn't be shocked to see Longoria overtake A-Rod sometime in over the next 1-3 years. Now, Longoria will never have the career of Rodriquez but he does have a chance at being a real superstar.

forte
10-12-2008, 12:42 PM
What clowns voted for Crede?

A. Cavatica
10-12-2008, 03:56 PM
After the dreck that is SS, perhaps it would be fun to talk about a position where we actually have some talent. Who would you want playing 3b on your team?

Talent? Who? Fields and Uribe?

Billy Ashley
10-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Talent? Who? Fields and Uribe?

I meant we as in the American league.

Bobby Thigpen
10-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Warp 3:
http://picarddoesit.com/picard.jpg
Engage!!!

God I hate how stats have become so ridiculous.

Bobby Thigpen
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
I'd agree he is the second best player in baseball at the moment and the second best player of the past 20 years (I'd take Pujols over him now and think that Bonds had more value, but of course with Bonds we have the entire steroids issue).

However, given his defense and Logoria's abilities at 3b I think he's not as far as behind as one might initially believe. A-Rod's still the better player though.
Pujols, in the last year, has made Frank Thomas look like he had a cannon at first.

Eddo144
10-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Pujols, in the last year, has made Frank Thomas look like he had a cannon at first.
Yep, arm strength is the most important skill for any first baseman to have.

Billy Ashley
10-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Pujols torn shoulder and all is still a better defender at first than any other player in baseball. He's an absolute freak of a human being. He's the best hitter in baseball and he's far better with the glove than any other first basemen. Far Far better.

FedEx227
10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Pujols torn shoulder and all is still a better defender at first than any other player in baseball. He's an absolute freak of a human being. He's the best hitter in baseball and he's far better with the glove than any other first basemen. Far Far better.

Big Tex might have a thing or two to say about that, ditto for Youk.

Billy Ashley
10-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Big Tex might have a thing or two to say about that, ditto for Youk.

With all due respect to both of them, Pujols is a whole hell of a lot better. In fact, Youks may be very good but I don't think he's on the level with Kotchman who's ahead of both he and Tex.

Bobby Thigpen
10-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Yep, arm strength is the most important skill for any first baseman to have.
Just pointing out a fact that most people like to rip on Frank for. Nothing more, nothing less.

Billy Ashley
10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Just pointing out a fact that most people like to rip on Frank for. Nothing more, nothing less.

He also needs surgery on his throwing arm, I think we can give him a pass for playing with a messed up shoulder this season. He was a 3b at one point in his career, so I suspect he's actually better than average in regards to throwing.

Not that throwing matters that much at first. The big reason to rip Thomas was that he was a terrible defender at first. That's not a big deal when you're one of the 5 best hitters of the last 60 years though. What's insane about Pujols is that he's well on his way to joining that same list and a good defender.

Eddo144
10-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Why? I don't recall anyone mentioning Frank Thomas in this thread. I believe that that's all you were doing, but it came across as ripping Pujols.

And people who used his poor throwing arm as some kind of proof Thomas wasn't that good are idiots.

Greg Maddux wore glasses. He sucks.

Dan Mega
10-13-2008, 12:45 PM
A-Rod is the answer. There hasn't been a better player in the last 20 years. In fact, I'd put him up against any of the "greats" from the 50's/60's who benefited from weak competition and lack of a worldwide talent pool that we see today.

When all is said and done he could be the best all-around player, ever.

LoveYourSuit
10-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Leave it to WSI to hand out 9 votes to Crede :rolleyes:

Law11
10-13-2008, 01:51 PM
where's ooribe on this list...