PDA

View Full Version : Should Paulie Sit out?

soxrme
10-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Should Swisher start at 1st today because Paulie looks absolutely lost at the plate and is good defensively at first. Paulie just has left too many men on base.

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2008, 02:11 PM
No.

Marqhead
10-06-2008, 02:12 PM
What he said ^

oeo
10-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Should Swisher start at 1st today because Paulie looks absolutely lost at the plate and is good defensively at first. Paulie just has left too many men on base.

Did you see Swisher on Friday? He looks the worst, offensively, of anyone on the team right now.

D. TODD
10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Should Swisher start at 1st today because Paulie looks absolutely lost at the plate and is good defensively at first. Paulie just has left too many men on base.Not a chance. Paulie looks WAY more dangerous then Swisher at this point. Don't expect much to be changed by Ozzie from the line up for this game.

illini81887
10-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Whats with this pathetic love for Swisher. Hes been awful in 2nd half. Wise has been good in playoffs but no peeps want Swish in for him. Only way Swish should see time is as a def. replacement or pinch hitter if needed

esbrechtel
10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
do not title the post "paulie out?" as in he has been hurt or is not in the lineup....title it something like should paulie sit out.....

that said, horrible idea....

cheezheadsoxfan
10-06-2008, 02:28 PM
You just scared the crap out of me.:o: And no, leave Paulie in.

nsdjoe
10-06-2008, 02:28 PM
do not title the post "paulie out?" as in he has been hurt or is not in the lineup....title it something like should paulie sit out.....

that said, horrible idea....

this. my heart skipped a beat when I read the title.

whitesox901
10-06-2008, 02:32 PM
no

voodoochile
10-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah, the title totally sucked. I fixed it...

esbrechtel
10-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah, the title totally sucked. I fixed it...

Thanks VooDoo....I was upset by it...Sometimes I think people do that on purpose just for the shock effect...

asindc
10-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks VooDoo....I was upset by it...Sometimes I think people do that on purpose just for the shock effect...

Bingo.

Stupid thread, and I rarely say that. We have better things to discuss.

MISoxfan
10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
This is the worst idea. :o:

Chez
10-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Did you see Swisher on Friday? He looks the worst, offensively, of anyone on the team right now.

He walked twice, singled and struck out looking. I'm not for benching Paulie, but Swisher did reach base three out of five plate appearances.

MushMouth
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
paulie is going yard today

maybe twice

TDog
10-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Except for being called out on strikes (the inconsistent strike zone should inspire people to swing the bats with two strikes -- swinging at a bad pitch for strike three usually is more excusable than being called out), Swisher looked good on Friday.

Konerko looks like he is seeing the ball well at the plate. He doesn't quite look locked in, but he looks close to being locked in. He looks like he could be dangerous.

ChiSoxFan81
10-06-2008, 03:17 PM
No way. I like what Ozzie has been doing with replacing Griffey and Konerko late in the game for defense/speed on bases. If Swish starts anywhere, it's in left, and we can have Wise's speed off the bench. But Wise has been our most clutch hitter in the series so far.

Lefty34
10-06-2008, 03:45 PM
but Swisher did reach base three out of five plate appearances.

Getting on-base means next to nothing in the game of baseball. I want to see your AVG and RBI numbers given a small sample-size, not this misleading number known as OBP.

I don't know where I stand on this, my initial reaction was to post up and down about how Konerko should be benched, and I was going to talk about his Swisher-like AVG at the plate in the postseason, or his best Juan Uribe impersonation with an OBP of .280 in the post-season, but then I decided that it wouldn't work. Especially with Swisher's post-season AVG being .217, and his OBP being a miserable .438....wait, what? Oh well, nevermind, Go Konerko, go 2005, woo-hoo and all that junk.

However, it should be said that Swisher's numbers have come in only 23 post-season AB's, which is hardly a sample size, so I must chose to go with Konerko, who has at least proven something in the post-season; he's proved that he's bad, but at least it's something.

oeo
10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
He walked twice, singled and struck out looking. I'm not for benching Paulie, but Swisher did reach base three out of five plate appearances.

His single was a weakly hit ground ball with Orlando on the move. His walks? He just stood there with the bat on his shoulder. Throw him a strike and he probably doesn't pull the trigger.

He looked bad, I don't care what the box score says. BTW, I'm a Swisher supporter. I think he'll have a good season next year, but right now, unfortunately, he looks awful.

Except for being called out on strikes (the inconsistent strike zone should inspire people to swing the bats with two strikes -- swinging at a bad pitch for strike three usually is more excusable than being called out), Swisher looked good on Friday.

Couldn't disagree more. Sorry, not swinging at balls does not equate to 'looking good.' He can't pull the trigger right now, and walking is about the only thing he can do. Swish didn't want a hit in that last AB, he wanted a walk. That doesn't show much confidence in himself.

Lefty34
10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
His single was a weakly hit ground ball with Orlando on the move. His walks? He just stood there with the bat on his shoulder. Throw him a strike and he probably doesn't pull the trigger.

He looked bad, I don't care what the box score says. BTW, I'm a Swisher supporter. I think he'll have a good season next year. Right now, unfortunately, he looks awful.

That right there is where people go astray, the "I don't care about what was said to have happened, because I know what happened", when in reality they don't know for sure and couldn't say either way. If Swisher had actually struck out looking, then you could say that he didn't pull the trigger and was just standing there with the bat on his shoulder and a thumb up his kiester (sp?). The fact is, he was able to reach base via the walk twice, which is more likely to speak towards his ability to sift through pitches than his apparent badness. My point is, you can't stare the walks in the face and say "hogwash" because you "knew what was really going on" when you, in fact don't.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Getting on-base means next to nothing in the game of baseball. I want to see your AVG and RBI numbers given a small sample-size, not this misleading number known as OBP.

I don't know where I stand on this, my initial reaction was to post up and down about how Konerko should be benched, and I was going to talk about his Swisher-like AVG at the plate in the postseason, or his best Juan Uribe impersonation with an OBP of .280 in the post-season, but then I decided that it wouldn't work. Especially with Swisher's post-season AVG being .217, and his OBP being a miserable .438....wait, what? Oh well, nevermind, Go Konerko, go 2005, woo-hoo and all that junk.

However, it should be said that Swisher's numbers have come in only 23 post-season AB's, which is hardly a sample size, so I must chose to go with Konerko, who has at least proven something in the post-season; he's proved that he's bad, but at least it's something.

Yeah, Swisher is definitely better. I mean, he's already drawn two walks this series. What else could you want? And his .742 post-season OPS is so much better than Konerko's .804 ... oh, wait. Maybe if we only consider the past five years, when Konerko's post-season OPS is .908 ... no, Swisher's is still worse.

Yes, Konerko was horrible in the 2000 ALDS, going 0 for 9. But since then, he has shown (in a small sample size) that he is capable of hitting in the post-season. Swisher isn't that much worse, in an even smaller sample size. In my opinion, the more relevant comparison is to look at their performances over the last month or two. Swisher is clearly struggling right now, while Konerko has been hitting quite well.

oeo
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
That right there is where people go astray, the "I don't care about what was said to have happened, because I know what happened", when in reality they don't know for sure and couldn't say either way.

What don't I know for sure? That he couldn't get the bat off his shoulder? That's not speculation, that's fact.

What you see goes both ways. There are many times when someone looks good, but just don't get the hits to show for it. That was Swisher's case for most of the year. Sorry that I judge by what I see rather than what I read in the stat book. Maybe you should take it up.

If Swisher had actually struck out looking, then you could say that he didn't pull the trigger and was just standing there with the bat on his shoulder and a thumb up his kiester (sp?). The fact is, he was able to reach base via the walk twice, which is more likely to speak towards his ability to sift through pitches than his apparent badness.Swisher didn't pull the trigger all game. And really, he hasn't done it all year. This last month or so, he's gotten even worse with it.

My point is, you can't stare the walks in the face and say "hogwash" because you "knew what was really going on" when you, in fact don't.Well your point is "pointless" because I never discounted the walks. And again, this isn't speculation because he didn't swing at pitches he could hit. It was right in front of your eyes...if you didn't see it then that's your own problem.

Swisher walked in that last AB, IMO, but I'm sorry...you have to fight off close pitches like that with 2 strikes. Again, Swisher didn't want a hit, he wanted a walk. If he wanted a hit, he would have fought off those last two pitches to extend the AB.

Eddo144
10-06-2008, 05:06 PM
What you see goes both ways. There are many times when someone looks good, but just don't get the hits to show for it. That was Swisher's case for most of the year. Sorry that I judge by what I see rather than what I read in the stat book. Maybe you should take it up.
Ah, so we're judging everyone based on style, not substance, now? Sweet. I'll go tell Bo Jackson he's been elected to the Hall of Fame.

Swisher didn't pull the trigger all game. And really, he hasn't done it all year. This last month or so, he's gotten even worse with it.
Well, Swisher did pull the trigger to get that single earlier in the game. Or did my eyes lie to me there?

thomas35forever
10-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Still think Paulie should've sat today?

T-Bag
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Quick someone else start a stupid thread stating other player should sit today so they will go yard.

Hurry...hurry.

I love these threads.

I remember the Wise rip on thread prior to game #1

Heck someone start a sit thread on all 9 guys.

TDog
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Couldn't disagree more. Sorry, not swinging at balls does not equate to 'looking good.' He can't pull the trigger right now, and walking is about the only thing he can do. Swish didn't want a hit in that last AB, he wanted a walk. That doesn't show much confidence in himself.

It wouldn't be the first time we've disagreed, but we're cool, of course.

I probably have the reputation of being the most anti-Swisher fan at WSI. I couldn't believe the Sox traded him, and I thought it would have been a great move if the Sox had traded him away at midseason. I was in the minority. Your point is a point I have had with Swisher most of his career. But what Swisher did in his Game 2 chance was get on base. That's what the White Sox needed.

Had he started Game 4, I don't think he would have been successful, however. Hitters with low batting averages and high on-base percentages, like Swisher, are fated to go down easily in such games.

Maybe we don't disagree after all. I thought Konerko was close to being dangerous and should start over Swisher. And he got half the Sox hits.

JB98
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Konerko actually swung the bat pretty damn well down the stretch.

The original poster was full of it.