PDA

View Full Version : Funny Jenks quote

DaveFeelsRight
10-06-2008, 01:25 PM
about the cowbells in Tampa:

''Dumbest thing I ever saw,'' he said Sunday of the fans' rallying tactic. ''Just annoying. Minor league.''

btrain929
10-06-2008, 01:26 PM

''Dumbest thing I ever saw,'' he said Sunday of the fans' rallying tactic. ''Just annoying. Minor league.''

LOL nice, I agree. Where did you get that quote?

DaveFeelsRight
10-06-2008, 01:27 PM
LOL nice, I agree. Where did you get that quote?here sir

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1204041,CST-SPT-sside06.article

btrain929
10-06-2008, 01:28 PM
here sir

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1204041,CST-SPT-sside06.article

Hahaha, classic, thanks. I love that the players seem to truly get into our blackout theme.

BigP50
10-06-2008, 07:09 PM
sounds like something AJ would say

Parrothead
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Do people really care about the fans having cowbells? Get a life people. It is their thing. Take care of business there and they don't have to worry about hearing them. Yes, it may be annoying for the visting team but that is why it is called a home field advantage.

kitekrazy
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Do people really care about the fans having cowbells? Get a life people. It is their thing. Take care of business there and they don't have to worry about hearing them. Yes, it may be annoying for the visting team but that is why it is called a home field advantage.

It's a team trying to establish a fan base.

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Bingo...I think the blue mohawks are a little more disturbing but hey...thats why we like the White Sox and everyone else is free to choose their team!

Parrothead
10-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Ok? I don't get what you are trying to say. Clarify. I think the cowbells are helping them.

ChicagoRushFan
10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
For an older fan base like that.... cow bells really aren't that bad of an idea. Less movement to make more noise.

My only "issue" with them is that they do sound more annoying on TV than other noise makers but. But it is a unique thing for them as they try to grow a fan base. In my world a league is only as strong as it's weakest team. So if it helps the team, go for it.

If they can continue to put some solid teams on the field, and get that new ball park. There is no reason that there, or anywhere, can't be a solid baseball town in 20-25 years.

While the Mariners were awful this year, that new ball park has really helped sure up the franchise. Heck the Sox spent many seasons playing games in Milwaukee. So I think the growth of a franchise is a decades long process. And if cowbells are part of that, well then I'll live with it.

oeo
10-07-2008, 03:18 PM
For an older fan base like that.... cow bells really aren't that bad of an idea. Less movement to make more noise.

I hate artificial crowd noise. Thunder sticks, cow bells, those clicker things they had in LA and believe they also had them in TB for a game, horns, etc. They all suck. It should be fairly easy to have a loud crowd in a closed arena like that, without the dumb artificial crap.

Like Jenks said, that's minor league crap. And it's another reason I hate that ****hole in Oakland with their lame horns.

soxinem1
10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
If that is the case, they better get rid of that guy in CLE who has been beating the drum over 20 years......

oeo
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
If that is the case, they better get rid of that guy in CLE who has been beating the drum over 20 years......

Ha, I forgot about that guy. I hate him, too.

chisoxfanatic
10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
If they can continue to put some solid teams on the field, and get that new ball park. There is no reason that there, or anywhere, can't be a solid baseball town in 20-25 years.
Tampa already is a solid baseball town, just not at the professional level (outside of pre-existing fans from out-of-town markets). High school baseball is absolutely huge down in Florida, which is why you see some of the best players come out of that state.
I hate artificial crowd noise. Thunder sticks, cow bells, those clicker things they had in LA and believe they also had them in TB for a game, horns, etc. They all suck. It should be fairly easy to have a loud crowd in a closed arena like that, without the dumb artificial crap.
I thought those things they had in LA were fans, because it was almost 100 degrees out there.

ChiSoxFan81
10-07-2008, 03:34 PM
And it's another reason I hate that ****hole in Oakland with their lame horns.

Oh dear God. I can't stand when we go out to Oakland. Those games, especially since they are usually at 9 pm local time, are horrible to watch because of the damn horns.

oeo
10-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I thought those things they had in LA were fans, because it was almost 100 degrees out there.

Maybe, but they still had that weird artificial sound in the background that they always have in the postseason.

Iwritecode
10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
High school baseball is absolutely huge down in Florida, which is why you see some of the best players come out of that state.

They also have the advantage of being able to practice/play all year-long. Something we can't do here...

soxinem1
10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Tampa already is a solid baseball town, just not at the professional level (outside of pre-existing fans from out-of-town markets). High school baseball is absolutely huge down in Florida, which is why you see some of the best players come out of that state.

I think the HS games outdraw both the Marlins and the Rays, combined...:smile:

Cambridge
10-07-2008, 08:45 PM
''Just annoying. Minor league.''

Count me among those who considers artificial props to be annoying, be they cowbells or thundersticks. Ditto sound effects and fireworks after home runs -- minor league all the way. Let the game be the entertainment.

Ziggy S
10-08-2008, 03:30 PM
The cowbell lost its luster after everyone quoted the Will Ferrel/Christopher Walken/Blue Oyster Cult SNL sketch over two million times. We need no more cowbell.

Vestigio
10-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Like Jenks said, that's minor league crap. And it's another reason I hate that ****hole in Oakland with their lame horns.

Dont forget Cleveland and its drummer. Its as annoying as Oaklands horns

cub killer
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
The cowbell lost its luster after everyone quoted the Will Ferrel/Christopher Walken/Blue Oyster Cult SNL sketch over two million times. We need no more cowbell.

Saturday Night Live stopped being funny in 1995, who bothers to watch that crap anymore?

mattcoz
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Count me among those who considers artificial props to be annoying, be they cowbells or thundersticks. Ditto sound effects and fireworks after home runs -- minor league all the way. Let the game be the entertainment.
Where do we draw the line? Do we get rid of the organ music too?

I do completely agree about noisemakers though, if your fans can't be loud enough on their own then that's your problem.

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Cowbells are common at Minnesota State hockey games (I personally own a fairly large one purchased at a farm supply store) but then again, look at our mascot:

http://www.northernsun.org/SportPics/NSIC/MSU_No_Text.gif