PDA

View Full Version : Sonnanstine...

hawkjt
10-06-2008, 12:03 PM
has not won in his last 7 outings...does that mean he is due?
Hope not. With the wind blowing in again today, homers to anywhere but right field may be tough altho Upton proved me wrong yesterday...he hit that ball a ton deep into the left field bleachers.

Should be a bit warmer today but still a strong SE wind off the lake ...
Was wondering why the sox do not have any flags in the left field corner like in the right field corner? I like being able to see the wind out in left also.

More smaller ball today,Sox..keep hitting..in the clutch.

Thome25
10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Just like the title reads.....How do you like our chances against Sonnanstine? Honestly.....do you think he'll be the one to end our 2008 season? Who on our roster hits him hard? What are his career numbers VS the White Sox and @ US Cellular Field? What are his numbers against rightys and leftys? What are his numbers in his last few starts? Does he pitch differently in night/evening/day games?

THANKS to anyone who posts!!:D:

Sockinchisox
10-06-2008, 12:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7984

kjhanson
10-06-2008, 12:50 PM
In his last four starts, he's 0-2 with a 2.49 ERA. In two of those outings (both against BOS), he only gave up one unearned run. He's going to throw strikes, as his three walks against the Tigers in his last start were the most he allowed all season. His last start against us came in Chicago where he allowed 4 earned in 6.1 innings. Not surprisingly, all four of our runs came in one inning where we had 4 consecutive hits, including two two-run home runs. In all, we tagged him for 9 hits, but a key double play in the first inning after two leadoff singles helped him along. On June 1st we had three runs off him in 5.2 innings, collecting ten hits. And then that brings me to the most embarassing game of the year: April 19th where he held us to a 3-hit shutout in the dome.

Now for the key splits:
In 8 starts during the day: 1-3, 6.17 ERA! (compared to 12-6, 3.80 at night)
His numbers on the road (6-5, 4.35) are very similar to his home numbers (7-4, 4.40)
Neutralizing his changeup, righties are hitting .289 with a .784 OPS against him; lefties his .265

Besides for the day/night split, I couldn't find anything inconsistent about him. He seems to be a fairly consistent pitcher, though very average. He's extremely hittable, and in his last 12 innings against us, we've raked 19 hits. So I think we're going to get hits today, we just need to get them with men on base in key situations (this is nothing new).

pythons007
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
has not won in his last 7 outings...does that mean he is due?
Hope not. With the wind blowing in again today, homers to anywhere but right field may be tough altho Upton proved me wrong yesterday...he hit that ball a ton deep into the left field bleachers.

Should be a bit warmer today but still a strong SE wind off the lake ...
Was wondering why the sox do not have any flags in the left field corner like in the right field corner? I like being able to see the wind out in left also.

More smaller ball today,Sox..keep hitting..in the clutch.

Thats the same thing as saying Javy is due.:puking:

10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Thats the same thing as saying Javy is due.:puking:

"he's due," what the hell does that even mean?

pythons007
10-06-2008, 12:56 PM
He is the type of pitcher that throws strikes and is hittable (a Buerhle type pitcher). I hope we hit into the teens and score double figure runs off him. I'm not asking too much, but I believe our offense is coming around and could blow up tonight!!! You heard it here first!:yup:

kjhanson
10-06-2008, 01:07 PM
"he's due," what the hell does that even mean?

The only things that I can think of that are "due" are pregnant woman and library books.

DumpJerry
10-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Fundamentals Deck.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-06-2008, 01:11 PM
The only things that I can think of that are "due" are pregnant woman and library books.

Ha ha. Good one. Plus, Sonnanstine (correct spelling) hasn't pitched that bad, he just hasn't gotten support. In his last four starts, he has allowed zero ER twice and two ER once. The Sox will need to hit with runners on base better than they did in the first two games.

ChiSoxFan81
10-06-2008, 02:21 PM
"Due"? So if I flip a coin 9 times, and 9 times it comes up tails, does that mean its due to come up heads? Nope. Still 50-50.

If you want to go by anything, use his 2 previous starts against us. A shutout and a no-decision. But both of those were at the Trop. Don't forget the Rays haven't seen Gavin yet.

I'd say our friend Andy is "due" for a loss.

I also forgot his start at the Cell, when he gave up 4 runs.

Jim Shorts
10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
"Due"? So if I flip a coin 9 times, and 9 times it comes up tails, does that mean its due to come up heads? Nope. Still 50-50.

If you want to go by anything, use his 2 previous starts against us. A shutout and a no-decision. But both of those were at the Trop. Don't forget the Rays haven't seen Gavin yet.

I'd say our friend Andy is "due" for a loss.

I also forgot his start at the Cell, when he gave up 4 runs.

somebody read Steinberg's column today :D:

ChiSoxFan81
10-06-2008, 02:49 PM
somebody read Steinberg's column today :D:

I knew someone would pick up on that

Mohoney
10-06-2008, 03:00 PM
This series has been great in terms of seeing good young pitching on display, and today will be no different.

Floyd, Danks, Garza, Kazmir, Shields, and Sonnanstine all look like they have good promising careers ahead of them. We could be looking at two teams that can stay in the upper tier of the AL for a very long time.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I just read a preview of today's game by Corcoran at SI.com. He clearly favors the Rays, and his reasoning does make me a little nervous. The Rays have a lot of left-handed bats, against which Floyd struggles. Also, Sonnanstine has pitched well against the Sox.

What he didn't mention was our home field advantage, and the fact that two of Sonnanstine's starts against the Sox happened in Florida. Hopefully those factors will be the more decisive ones.

FoulTerritory
10-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I met a young lady-relative of Sonnastine's at the Holiday Inn in St. Pete the morning of his shut-out of the White Sox in April (sister in-law or cousin, can't remember), but she was all decked out in Sox gear and said that when Andy plays the White Sox she still roots for the Sox. Thats the type of mojo we need working for us.