OK, just trying to see where we all stand on the value of certain players:

If other please specify.

esbrechtel
10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Mauer...hands down

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Mauer...hands down

It really is amazing how poor the catching class is in the American League right now. One could argue that Mauer is the only one that's both full time and good.

thomas35forever
10-06-2008, 10:55 AM
How can it not be Mauer? He won the batting title. What more needs to be said?

Eddo144
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
If I were starting a team today, I would actually consider picking Mauer first overall.

I wouldn't, but the fact that he's even in consideration speaks volumes for just how good he is. Having a young catcher who hits the ball well, has tremendous plate discipline, and is superb defensively is a huge asset to any team.

Mauer is the best catcher in baseball, and the most complete all-around catcher since Johnny Bench. Piazza was a better hitter, but awful defensively. Ivan Rodriguez was better defensively and had some very good offensive seasons, but was probably a product of steroids (and fell off a cliff recently).

Rockabilly
10-06-2008, 11:25 AM
it's not even close

Mauer is the best catcher in baseball

kitekrazy
10-06-2008, 12:08 PM
It really is amazing how poor the catching class is in the American League right now. One could argue that Mauer is the only one that's both full time and good.

I think it's been that way in baseball for quite some time. People don't realize how much there is to that position. It's not just about offense and defense. It's about knowing the hitters and having the pitchers trust you in calling the game.

PKalltheway
10-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Joe Mauer, hands down.

DumpJerry
10-06-2008, 02:51 PM
When it's all said and done, if Mauer does not have a catastrophic injury in the next few years which would shorten his career, he will be known as "The Other Johnny Bench."

russ99
10-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Offensive catcher: Mauer.

Every other category, A.J., and he's no slouch at the plate either.

Eddo144
10-06-2008, 05:50 PM

I'd definitely take Mauer defensively. Not that AJ's bad (and he calls a great game), but he doesn't throw out runners (only 18% caught stealing, as opposed to 36% for Mauer). Granted, a lot of that is on the pitchers, but it's still a pretty damning figure.

FedEx227
10-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Um, in managing pitchers and blocking balls: AJ. In everything else Mauer, he can throw light years better than AJ, better hitting, etc.

There is no way you can say defensively AJ is superior to Mauer, you're insane.

Lefty34
10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Um, in managing pitchers and blocking balls: AJ. In everything else Mauer, he can throw light years better than AJ, better hitting, etc.

There is no way you can say defensively AJ is superior to Mauer, you're insane.

Mauer's ability to manage pitchers and block pitches will improve with time as he learns more finesse and technique.

AJ is NOT a very good defensive catcher. When compared to others around the league, AJ is solid, but cannot hold a candle to the better catchers.

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I'd like to know why the AJP fans are voting his direction? Do those who favor him perceive him to be a better fielder?