PDA

View Full Version : mr. October? Journeyman Dewayne Wise Appreciation Thread

sunofgold
10-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Bet you never saw this coming. This dude has 5 RBIs so far! He didn't even play the second game. He gotten the max out of his hits. 2 hits in 5 AB and 5 RBIs. He has also scored 2 runs. 1 walk and 1 SB.

Cannot say that I like his defense, but he has been making it up on offense. Where would we be without DW? Remember his grand slam against Detroit.

This was the guy that nobody wanted on their team. And we even designated him for assignment in May. Guess nobody else wanted him.

Little did they know.....this dude is mr. October.

JB98
10-06-2008, 01:22 AM
He's an adventure in LF, but he has come through with key hits offensively. He also had a stolen base today and scored on timely two-out hit by AJ.

I sure wish we had TCQ in LF, but Wise is doing all he can. All we can ask is that he play to the best of his ability, and I think he is doing that.

hawkjt
10-06-2008, 01:42 AM
DWise is the epitome of ''dont tell me what you hit but when you hit it''
in the playoffs so far.
He had a very cold stretch the last few weeks but who didn't?
Now he looks comfortable at the plate this week.
I know his defense is not the best but really, how many runs has he cost us out there? If he is shading to center to help jr. ...he may not get over to the line as he might but is that his fault? That throw he made from left in Tampa on the sac fly was about the best throw all year ...not sure he is as bad as some on here make him out to be on defense. Maybe going back on balls is an issue.

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2008, 01:47 AM
I know his defense is not the best but really, how many runs has he cost us out there? If he is shading to center to help jr. ...he may not get over to the line as he might but is that his fault? That throw he made from left in Tampa on the sac fly was about the best throw all year ...not sure he is as bad as some on here make him out to be on defense. Maybe going back on balls is an issue.The problem isn't so much balls he doesn't get to, as the routes he takes to the ball. He often is at the wrong angle, so he gets there but the ball is over his head or in front of him. He often over-runs the ball, so it hits down, gets past him, then as he runs on by, it caroms off the wall behind him, and he has to stop and reverse directions to get to the ball.

oeo
10-06-2008, 01:50 AM
The problem isn't so much balls he doesn't get to, as the routes he takes to the ball. He often is at the wrong angle, so he gets there but the ball is over his head or in front of him. He often over-runs the ball, so it hits down, gets past him, then as he runs on by, it caroms off the wall behind him, and he has to stop and reverse directions to get to the ball.

A lot of the time, he will just freeze for a few seconds without going anywhere. He's pretty bad out there, but no one can disagree that he's giving the team the best chance to win right now. When your other options are Nick Swisher who is afraid to swing the bat and Brian Anderson who can't swing the bat, Dewayne Wise looks like a Hall of Famer.

gregory18n
10-06-2008, 02:22 AM
i think he's doing a great job! unbeleivable, he's no good because i don't like his route to the ball. must be an expert, but look who's out there doing the job for us. spring training he should get his shot at CF and lead-off. his dues have been paid. doubters, open your eyes.

oeo
10-06-2008, 02:26 AM
i think he's doing a great job! unbeleivable, he's no good because i don't like his route to the ball. must be an expert, but look who's out there doing the job for us. spring training he should get his shot at CF and lead-off. his dues have been paid. doubters, open your eyes.

Can't anyone ever just see a player for who they are? Juan Uribe, Brian Anderson, DeWayne Wise, etc. are not major league starters. I know we love riding the hot streaks, but they're not good players. Guys I'd like to have on the bench next year? Yes. Starting? Hell no.

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2008, 02:30 AM
Find your shift key; it makes the post ever so much easier to read.

Where did I say he's no good? I was just explaining what the objection was to his defense. If you want to debate it, then argue with the points that were made, don't construct straw men to knock down. You don't have to be an expert to see that he often misplays balls hit his way, but that doesn't mean he isn't often the best option right now with TCQ out injured.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2008, 02:38 AM
There were a couple of balls that I thought even Swisher would've gotten to, and I thought that, for a guy with his speed, he got to them pretty sluggishly after they hit the ground. He's had a couple big hits for us so far in Soxtober. I'll leave it at that.

BadBobbyJenks
10-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Appreciation threads are the new black.

eriqjaffe
10-06-2008, 09:33 AM
The problem isn't so much balls he doesn't get to, as the routes he takes to the ball.Just like Aaron Rowand!

tstrike2000
10-06-2008, 10:51 AM
There were a couple of balls that I thought even Swisher would've gotten to, and I thought that, for a guy with his speed, he got to them pretty sluggishly after they hit the ground. He's had a couple big hits for us so far in Soxtober. I'll leave it at that.

That's true. Just take the good with the bad with D-Wayne with hopefully the good continuing to be those timely hits and good baserunning.