PDA

View Full Version : Selig worried about economy??

jennk44
10-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Selig worried about the economy - warns not to overprice tickets
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3625812

Revolutn
10-05-2008, 11:38 PM
That's cuz he knows what every other business man knows.

That 2009 is going to be BRUTAL economically.

You know those 'boring' all day budget meetings you usually try to avoid or sleep through....well I been paying very close attention to them for the past 24 mo's and without exception every business sector is looking at MASSIVE downturns in revenue in 2009, with a moderate growth rebound in 2010.

And if these A-Holes in the District of Criminals keep it up, the dollar could really be destroyed, and then niceties like the ol ball game will fall by the way side for most people sad but true....so let's hope it's merely a bad cyclical downturn and not anything worse in the next 12 - 18 mo's were facing.

DumpJerry
10-05-2008, 11:41 PM
One more political comment and this thread is locked and sent to the Roadhouse. We have a separate place (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97473) for political discussions.

Parrothead
10-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Baseball survived the depression and I am sure it will survive this. I know it will Startrek Deep Space Nine mentioned it so it must be in the future.

However, as I said in another thread, I believe attendance will be down next year. With that being said hopefully, it will bring down salaries by owners not paying as much for free agents next year and ticket prices so families can attend more than one game a month without going to "special game days".

Sox4ever77
10-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Tickets have been overpriced the last ten years, especially post season tickets.

WhiteSox5187
10-06-2008, 02:01 AM
I have to be very careful about this, but IF the economy continues its downward trend and owners are forced to lower ticket prices, shouldn't that mean that players salaries will also go down? The players union will not to be too happy about that.

Scottiehaswheels
10-06-2008, 02:06 AM
My guess is some owner from a crap team will "voluntarily" lower prices to "help" out their fans again(publicity stunt), similar to what the Royals did a couple years ago. I'm guessing it'll be a Cali team based on the housing market there. A's/Giants perhaps?

DSpivack
10-06-2008, 03:18 AM
My guess is some owner from a crap team will "voluntarily" lower prices to "help" out their fans again(publicity stunt), similar to what the Royals did a couple years ago. I'm guessing it'll be a Cali team based on the housing market there. A's/Giants perhaps?

Nats already announced they will lower ticket prices for next season, but I think that has as much to do with their poor attendance in a new stadium and the joke of the product on the field as it does with the economy.

kitekrazy
10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I have to be very careful about this, but IF the economy continues its downward trend and owners are forced to lower ticket prices, shouldn't that mean that players salaries will also go down? The players union will not to be too happy about that.

I blame it on lousy baseball commissioners. They've let the players union take too much control.

The success in baseball is now determined on who spends the most money.

I haven't been to a game in a long time. Tickets are just a small part. Parking is outrageous. A few years ago the bottom dollar Sox ticket was $25, the Indy Colts was $15.

I think a lot of pro sports is going to suffer. Maybe people have realized it's not always the best value for their entertainment dollars. One thing baseball has over the others is that being there is better tan the TV. The NBA the fans are closer to the game. The NFL is much better on TV.

If any team had to only rely on attendance many would fold. It's more about TV contracts.

kitekrazy
10-06-2008, 12:27 PM
However, as I said in another thread, I believe attendance will be down next year. With that being said hopefully, it will bring down salaries by owners not paying as much for free agents next year and ticket prices so families can attend more than one game a month without going to "special game days".

I don't think anything can save the owners from their stupid spending unless the got elected and continue the trend in D.C.

kitekrazy
10-06-2008, 12:30 PM
That's cuz he knows what every other business man knows.

That 2009 is going to be BRUTAL economically.

You know those 'boring' all day budget meetings you usually try to avoid or sleep through....well I been paying very close attention to them for the past 24 mo's and without exception every business sector is looking at MASSIVE downturns in revenue in 2009, with a moderate growth rebound in 2010.

And if these A-Holes in the District of Criminals keep it up, the dollar could really be destroyed, and then niceties like the ol ball game will fall by the way side for most people sad but true....so let's hope it's merely a bad cyclical downturn and not anything worse in the next 12 - 18 mo's were facing.

The media is very good at "the sky is falling" mentality. IF it's so bad why are all the strip malls, Walgreens, Target, Menards, ect. still going up in my neighborhood.

chaerulez
10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
The media is very good at "the sky is falling" mentality. IF it's so bad why are all the strip malls, Walgreens, Target, Menards, ect. still going up in my neighborhood.

That's not a good way to look at the economy as a whole. I think a better way to look at it is look at what's happened to Bear Sterns, Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, Lehman Brothers Holdings, and AIG.

The retail sector won't see the effects of a downturn in the economy right away, it's a trickle down effect.

SouthSoxFan
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
The retail sector won't see the effects of a downturn in the economy right away, it's a trickle down effect.

It ain't takin' that long. Retail is already hurting. Take a look at the most recent reports. And the U.S. just cut another 160k jobs, which makes it about 750,000 jobs lost this year.

Back on the baseball topic, I wonder how many of those skyboxes get renewed for 2009 at current prices. If Corporate America keeps taking a beating, how will they justify frivolous expenses like that.

Parrothead
10-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Take a look at those strip malls and see how many vacant spots there are in them. That will tell you how bad it is out there. Your big stores will probably survive but the little guy is screwed.

Billy Ashley
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
He should be. The we're facing perhaps the most complex economic crisis in our history. Credit could very well begin to freeze and people could very well lose their jobs. The impact of that on baseball could be very pronounced given the prices to go to a game.

SoxSpeed22
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I think every commissioner should be worried.

Frontman
10-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Contrary to what ESPN and others will have us believe:

Sports is an entertainment expense. With folks having to trim their budgets; I certainly can see cause for concern. Some teams can take the hit; whereas others don't have that strong of a fanbase to begin with.

chisoxmike
10-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Ticket prices will go up next year. No doubt about it.

kevin57
10-07-2008, 11:09 PM
It was said by the local media that this year in Chicago attendance was helped at the ol' ballpark by the sluggish economy. Rather than paying to go away for a summer holiday, families stayed put and had fun in and around the city.

Anyone agree?

I want Mags back
10-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I haven't been to a game in a long time. Tickets are just a small part. Parking is outrageous. A few years ago the bottom dollar Sox ticket was $25, the Indy Colts was $15.

but it's the colts :tongue:

SoxandtheCityTee
10-07-2008, 11:53 PM
I think every commissioner should be worried.

The Commissioner of Me is certainly worried about the economy. :?:

Sox4ever77
10-08-2008, 01:28 AM
It was said by the local media that this year in Chicago attendance was helped at the ol' ballpark by the sluggish economy. Rather than paying to go away for a summer holiday, families stayed put and had fun in and around the city.

Anyone agree?

I agree that many families stayed in town and did not take a summer vacation. But where they spent the money can be debated. Did they go to more games? Or did they spend the money on movies or dining out or whatever else.

I also think if people went to games, they cut back on what they ate and drank inside the stadium.