PDA

View Full Version : Is Danks our future ace?

JermaineDye05
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
What are your thoughts?

He doesn't necessarily have that unhittable stuff you see with many aces, but he certainly is smart. He's quick like Buehrle, and he's good at mixing up his pitches and he can strike you out with any of his pitches. He can blow you away at times up stairs with his fastball, he can get you out in front with a changeup, he can get the righties and lefties out with his cutter, and he can get you with a backdoor curveball. I could really see Danks developing into an ace for this team, he took a big step this season after a rough one in 2007.

Think about it, he was 5th in the league in ERA, almost got to 200+ IP this season. He was 12-9, although he should have won at least 15 games considering the games that the bullpen blew for him or the games that the offense just didn't show up. To think that when he came into ST in 2007 he was a 2 pitch pitcher, fastball and curveball. He had a changeup but it was a work in progress. After a rough 2007, he decides to work on a cutter to keep the righties off balance and that has definitely paid dividends for him. He doubled his win total from 2007, he pitched 56 more innings, and he lowered his ERA by more than 2 runs. I really have high hopes for Danks, what a pick up by Kenny.

seventyseven
10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
If his slider/curve develops into an out pitch, yes.

Otherwise, Floyd is a better bet to be our ace of the future.

Zisk77
10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Future? he's our ace now.

The Co- ace pitches tomorrow

BainesHOF
10-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Floyd and Danks are a heck of a 1-2 punch in the rotation. Add Quentin and Ramirez and the Sox have a great young nucleus.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I always gave the edge to Floyd because he could go more innings, but Danks has really stepped up as of late. It's great to think we have two future aces.

jabrch
10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Danks is much like Mark at the same age. He doesn't project to be an ACE as in a perenial Cy Young candidate like Santana. But he has the stuff to win 15-20 games annually. Same with Gavin - but in a different way.

BadBobbyJenks
10-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I expect Buehrle to be here a while, but not a bad number 2!

whitesoxfan
10-05-2008, 09:47 PM
The future is bright for the Sox...very bright. Our young nucleus has a bunch of stars in it. It's hard not to be excited about what we have as a cornerstone here.

hawkjt
10-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Danks demonstated this year that he is an tremendous competitor on the mound which is what makes him ace material. Gavin has come a long ways in that respect also.
I think they are co-aces with MB as the vet ace...3 aces..not bad.

BigP50
10-05-2008, 10:58 PM
man we got 3 aces hin Danks, Floyd and MB

Domeshot17
10-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Buehrle is not a true ace. Gavin either. Danks is by far the most talented pitcher on our staff when you think about the future. It took Gavin this many years to feel comfortable in his own skin, Burls is no where near the dominating consistent SP he was when he was younger. Danks has the right mix of velocity movement and command to be a dominating number 1.

It still stacks up nice for the future.

Danks number 1- Clearly he can handle the pressure, he has the stuff, he just has to keep growing
Gavin 2- He is showing signs that he could be what Javy should be if Javy was not such a chicken ****. He doesn't have great control and sometimes his stuff comes out very flat, but he is a high K pitcher who can go on a dominating run
Burls 3- He is really a number 2 SP, but for sake of Lefty Lefty he will eventually fall to number 3. He can step up in big games and keep us in them, but he is a guy who when his stuff isn't there just doesn't have a chance because of how soft a tosser he is.

johnnyg83
10-06-2008, 12:33 AM
at this point, I feel like we have three great #2s. That's no disrespect to any of them, I could see both Floyd and Danks developing into a #1 and MB, well hell, with what he does with what he's got is amazing. MB reminds me of Tom Glavine or Mike Boddicker. Smart "pitchers" rather than super-talents.

Still, I'd take 5 #56s in my rotation before one Zambrano. And full disclosure, MB is my favorite whitesox player.

thomas35forever
10-06-2008, 12:50 AM
If Buehrle leaves in the distant future and Danks stays, then he'll no doubt be our ace. I still consider Buehrle our current ace because he has more experience and still performs well in clutch situations. Danks is definitely our future ace though.

guillensdisciple
10-06-2008, 12:53 AM
The White Sox now have one of the most formidable staffs in baseball. Especially since the young pitchers have finally thrown a very large amount of innings, next year shouldn't be a down year. This was their transition year, and they wowed all of us.

What makes this starting rotation absolutely nasty is the fact that Javy is the fourth starter now and the Sox will probably add a quality arm in there.

This pitching staff will be an elite one for years to come.

johnnyg83
10-06-2008, 01:09 AM
The White Sox now have one of the most formidable staffs in baseball. Especially since the young pitchers have finally thrown a very large amount of innings, next year shouldn't be a down year. This was their transition year, and they wowed all of us.

What makes this starting rotation absolutely nasty is the fact that Javy is the fourth starter now and the Sox will probably add a quality arm in there.

This pitching staff will be an elite one for years to come.

I'd love to pick up Paul Byrd or Dereck Lowe .. than Javy is our#5 .. no pressure ...

oeo
10-06-2008, 01:53 AM
I think Danks is on the verge of stardom. Give him a couple more starts this postseason, and the nation will know who John Danks is.

nsdjoe
10-06-2008, 10:37 AM
2009:
Buehrle L
Floyd R
Danks L
Vazquez R
Richard L

2010 (Trade Vazquez):
Buehrle L
Floyd R
Danks L
Richard L
Poreda L

4 lefties!

ode to veeck
10-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Future? he's our ace now.

The Co- ace pitches tomorrow

exactly

palehozenychicty
10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
at this point, I feel like we have three great #2s. That's no disrespect to any of them, I could see both Floyd and Danks developing into a #1 and MB, well hell, with what he does with what he's got is amazing. MB reminds me of Tom Glavine or Mike Boddicker. Smart "pitchers" rather than super-talents.

Still, I'd take 5 #56s in my rotation before one Zambrano. And full disclosure, MB is my favorite whitesox player.

That's how I feel as well. They're all very solid pitchers that any team needs to be a contender. To me, an ace is a guy that nobody wants to face at any time.

You think the Phils wanted to face CC on full rest in game 5? , Lincecum, Johan, a healthy Beckett, are of the same mold. When they are on, it's almost an automatic loss.

hawkjt
10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Listened to Danks interview with Mulley and hanley this morning. He mentioned that while MB rightfully gets a lot of credit for mentoring him he said Javy was almost as important in his development. He said he was disapointed to hear Javy get booed yesterday in the player introductions. Says they believe in Javy and is really hoping he gets another chance to start in the playoffs...I agree...hopefully game 4 vs the Red Sox/Angels.

GlassSox
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Listened to Danks interview with Mulley and hanley this morning. He mentioned that while MB rightfully gets a lot of credit for mentoring him he said Javy was almost as important in his development. He said he was disapointed to hear Javy get booed yesterday in the player introductions. Says they believe in Javy and is really hoping he gets another chance to start in the playoffs...I agree...hopefully game 4 vs the Red Sox/Angels.

I too was disappointed to hear the boos for Javy yesterday during the player introductions, I didn't think that was appropriate.

Did I miss something, did Crede get introduced?

hawkjt
10-06-2008, 12:02 PM
No, Joe Crede was not mentioned unless I missed it.

If they do intros again today, I hope they do not boo any sox players.

RockJock07
10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I'd love to pick up Paul Byrd or Dereck Lowe .. than Javy is our#5 .. no pressure ...

I would love Lowe his sinker is amazing.

As far as Danks, he has been the MVP of the pitching staff this season. He should have had 5+ more wins because of the early season struggles of the offense. He's stepped up in the BIGGEST games this season.

Gavin pitched great this season and has a chance to really put himself up there with Danks.

However, the biggest concern is how both of them resposed next season. They are both coming off of long seasons, both over 200 IP and then the fact that teams will have seen them for a year. Kenny really hit the jackpot on these guys. Factor in Poreda and maybe Richard and this rotation is young but pretty damn good. Javy probably gets traded next season at some point.

Jerome
10-06-2008, 12:50 PM
5th in ERA, he is our ace now

if he had better run support this year he'd have a lot more wins

Rockabilly
10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I like to see our rotation next year like this

Buehrle
Dempster
Danks
Floyd
Richard

Jurr
10-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Danks is going to end up being Mark Buehrle with more velocity, which could be downright deadly. He's a big changeup pitcher, and when he gets that a little more consistent he'll remind you of another two/three pitch lefty with a nasty changeup. Hint: We never liked facing him.

whitesox901
10-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Im guessing he'd be our #3 next year under Mark and Gavin, since you want to seperate Mark and Jon. I'd like to see Been Sheets or Oliver Perez mixed in there somewhere next season too (both f/a's)

hawkjt
10-06-2008, 12:57 PM

Buehrle
Dempster
Danks
Floyd
Richard

Dempster will command 15 million/year...3-4 years according to Stoney this morning...too rich for the sox. I always am leery of NL starters coming to the AL anyway.

Javy will be back. Richard is likely #5. I can live with it if we get at least one more quality bullpen guy.
I am concerned about the hangover effect on Danks and floyds arms but not much you can do about it.

Jurr
10-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Im guessing he'd be our #3 next year under Mark and Gavin, since you want to seperate Mark and Jon. I'd like to see Been Sheets or Oliver Perez mixed in there somewhere next season too (both f/a's)
Ben Sheets? Really? What, are we going to have Ben Sheets Bobble-arm night? Is Taco Bell going to give the fans free chalupas for every DL stint he has?

CashMan
10-06-2008, 01:10 PM

I think Sheets is having arm surgery. He struggled for the 2nd half with an arm problem, idk if he is going to pitch next year.

CashMan
10-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Dempster will command 15 million/year...3-4 years according to Stoney this morning...too rich for the sox. I always am leery of NL starters coming to the AL anyway.

Javy will be back. Richard is likely #5. I can live with it if we get at least one more quality bullpen guy.
I am concerned about the hangover effect on Danks and floyds arms but not much you can do about it.

I totally agree. I think Javy as a #4 starter is fine, I know he shows flashes of being good, but I am fine with a .500 pitcher as the #4. As for Richard, I think he showed that he can handle the final spot. I really like how he pitches. Unless, we are adding CC, I am fine with the rotation.

DaveFeelsRight
10-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Im guessing he'd be our #3 next year under Mark and Gavin, since you want to seperate Mark and Jon. I'd like to see Been Sheets or Oliver Perez mixed in there somewhere next season too (both f/a's)sheets is way too injury prone

oeo
10-06-2008, 01:13 PM

Buehrle
Dempster
Danks
Floyd
Richard

Screw that. Dempster won't ever even sniff his 2008 season again.

Heffalump
10-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Buehrle
Dempster
Danks
Floyd
Richard

Why would you want Dempster for your number 2? ? ? The guy had a career year and is nothing more than a decent #4 or 5 starter at best. No way he wins 17 next year. Maybe 12 at best - and that is if he stays in the wimpy NL.

nsdjoe
10-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I really think...

Buehrle
Floyd
Danks
Vazquez
Richard

...sounds pretty good!

whitesox901
10-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Ben Sheets? Really? What, are we going to have Ben Sheets Bobble-arm night? Is Taco Bell going to give the fans free chalupas for every DL stint he has?

Ah , didnt realize Sheets was having issues agian, that probebly wouldnt be to good then. Still liking Perez though.

CashMan
10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I really think...

Buehrle
Floyd
Danks
Vazquez
Richard

...sounds pretty good!

Where did Richard come from? I never really heard of him until he was called up. I pay a little attention to the minors, nothing major. For all I know he could of been in our system for a few years.

EMachine10
10-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Where did Richard come from? I never really heard of him until he was called up. I pay a little attention to the minors, nothing major. For all I know he could of been in our system for a few years.
He was a draft pick of ours a few years back (05) out of Michigan. He was also a backup quarterback for the Wolverines. He put together a few productive years before breaking out a little bit across AA/AAA this year.

I really like the way he pitches and would love to see him in the rotation next year if he earns it. He has to go in thinking he needs to earn a spot, though, and not think he's a shoe-in because of a few promising appearances down the stretch. I thought they rushed him a little bit when they brought him up over Broadway earlier, so hopefully he builds off these last few performances.

Craig Grebeck
10-06-2008, 05:05 PM

Buehrle
Dempster
Danks
Floyd
Richard
Haha. I love the rationale for losing Vazquez but signing a one-year wonder.

Parrothead
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
No he is not.

Craig Grebeck
10-06-2008, 07:27 PM
No he is not.
Why not?

I honestly can't find a rational defense for this position.

kitekrazy
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Floyd and Danks are a heck of a 1-2 punch in the rotation. Add Quentin and Ramirez and the Sox have a great young nucleus.

That is why we won the division. Most of the older guys choked.