PDA

View Full Version : Wonder What Kenny Thinks?

Lip Man 1
10-05-2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1202901,CST-SPT-soxnt05.article

Interesting.

Lip

nsolo
10-05-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1202901,CST-SPT-soxnt05.article

Interesting.

Lip

It is interesting. To me, its a lack of team spirit, but to those three, as to most ballplayers, its just a job. Remember, baseball is a game AND a business. After spending the year with the team, having to be confined to the clubhouse to watch the game wouldn't be much of a treat.

I hope that what K.W. is watching is that teams with speed and timely hitting are likely to kick our rears.

angiew
10-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Personally, I hope we never have to look at McDougal or Logan again. I broke out in hives every time either of them would take the mound :gah:

NLaloosh
10-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Now, would be a perfect time anyway to get what they can for the 3 of them. Maybe they could actually bring a real good catching prospect.

Optipessimism
10-05-2008, 12:40 PM
This is fantastic!

I didn't want to see any of these guys ever again anyway, and now Kenny has even more incentive to get them the hell off this team. I still have faith in Wassermann and Bourgeois for that matter could end up being valuable as a cheap UT option with some speed. Of the five guys mentioned, all three whom I can't stand opted to put the final nails in their Sox coffins. There is reason to celebrate!

:happybday

Optipessimism
10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Now, would be a perfect time anyway to get what they can for the 3 of them. Maybe they could actually bring a real good catching prospect.
I'd be happy with salary relief in MacDougal's case, and a couple A-ball relief prospects in the other cases. Logan actually might bring something halfway because of his arm, or he could be part of a package in a deal with a team that likes to rescue other teams' bad relievers, like the Pirates, Padres, or A's.

hawkjt
10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I would like to give Logan one more chance. I cannot understand how a lefty that throws up to 95 cannot get outs...these relievers are like Sybil...next year he could be lights out again.. McDougall is a lifer in the wild pitch contest...forget him.

Optipessimism
10-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I would like to give Logan one more chance. I cannot understand how a lefty that throws up to 95 cannot get outs...these relievers are like Sybil...next year he could be lights out again.. McDougall is a lifer in the wild pitch contest...forget him.
Boone doesn't have the heart for it. He'll soon go back to milking cows at 95mph.

SteveFakeBlood
10-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I was actually more interested in Wasserman's enthusiasm about everything. That's the kind of thing you know isn't true of a lot of guys, but you wish was and it's great to see the guy has that kind of team loyalty, Bourgeois too.

I'm not completely ready to give up on Broadway (an enigma like Jerry Owens- except much more valuable because starting pitching harder to develop) or Logan (look at his first half of this season...), but I can understand if KW takes this as an affront and lets them go.

I think we got all we could out of MacDougal, he was good when we first got him in '06, but just looks finished out there- he doesn't quite have Steve Blass syndrome, but as close as you can get to it without having it.

I think our bullpen will be OK next year, regardless. Jenks and Thornton are solid, Linebrink will be good if he's back healthy, I expect Dotel to be shaky at times, but mostly OK and Carrasco, Russell or Wasserman can be used in garbage time situations. So I'm not as worried about tweaking the bullpen. We need a real leadoff hitter much more. Then again, so do a lot of teams...

~Steve

TDog
10-05-2008, 02:30 PM
You would think that players who haven't been with the Sox all year and are not guaranteed a full share of postseason money would want to be team guys to the end. Granted, the full share of a team that doesn't get past the ALDS would be small, but if your team comes back and advances, giving up on your teammates would hit you in the wallet.

Lefty34
10-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Boone does throw hard, but I think people over-estimate the power of a fastball in the MLB. 95 and straight is pretty easy to hit for most guys (it's like 70-80 mph in high school). in 2008 0 percent of Logan's pitches were cut-fastballs, and his Fastball/Slider percentages were both around 41%. IMO, he really needs to learn to cut his fastball, it will compromise some velocity (probably come in at 89-92) but the added movement on something that looks exactly like a fastball out of his hand will make him so much more effective.

johnny bench
10-05-2008, 03:49 PM
You would think that players who haven't been with the Sox all year and are not guaranteed a full share of postseason money would want to be team guys to the end. Granted, the full share of a team that doesn't get past the ALDS would be small, but if your team comes back and advances, giving up on your teammates would hit you in the wallet.

Playoff shares have already been decided.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/numbers-game.html

WHILEPITCH
10-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Bourgeois has to watch from a couch in the dugout??

Bucky F. Dent
10-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Good riddance to Logan & MacDougall.

I am a bit suprised at Broadway - but at the end of the day, he's welcome to leave too!

slavko
10-05-2008, 07:32 PM
If any of them comes to Spring Training and gets people out better than other pitchers at Spring Training he should be put on the roster. Are we trying to win baseball games or get even with our employees for doing what is their right? A little maturity, guys.

TDog
10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Playoff shares have already been decided.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/numbers-game.html

I stand corrected.

Now I wonder if shares distribution had something to do with these guys leaving early.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Slavko:

I seriously doubt any of the three will be in a White Sox uniform by the time spring training even begins. Especially Logan, Ozzie cut him off at the knees remember with his comments about "wanting men in a pennant race..." And he was specifically talking about him. Logan is so far in Ozzie's doghouse he'll never get out (and with good reason in my opinion).

Lip

kitekrazy
10-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I doubt this will have any effect what Kenny thinks. It's a lame article to deflect people from the choking Cubs.

Brian26
10-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Farmer mentioned four guys went home the other day. Do we know who the 4th guy was?

sox1970
10-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Farmer mentioned four guys went home the other day. Do we know who the 4th guy was?

Pretty sure it's Horacio Ramirez.

Craig Grebeck
10-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Boone doesn't have the heart for it. He'll soon go back to milking cows at 95mph.
I love statements like this. I don't know him personally and am judging in a completely subjective manner, but he's got no grit!

Casting off Boone Logan would be a prime example of Ozzie's biggest flaw: his ****ing mouth. Sometimes you don't need to beat your player/manager relationship into the ground so much that the player has no value. There are 29 teams that would love to have Boone. He is worth the patience.

champagne030
10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
This does not surprise me. The players with talent want to take a walk and sulk. The team players, who lack talent, are there to support their team. Good riddance Mac and Logan. Memo to Kenny.....don't go after players the Royals are trying to dump.

Lefty34
10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
This does not surprise me. The players with talent want to take a walk and sulk. The team players, who lack talent, are there to support their team. Good riddance Mac and Logan. Memo to Kenny.....don't go after players the Royals are trying to dump.

Are you saying that you would rather have way less-talented team players over more talented self-centered players? I love that view. You play your team full of Eckstein's and Erstad's, and I'll take my team of Dunn's and A-Rod's...who's going to win?

jabrch
10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
You play your team full of Eckstein's and Erstad's, and I'll take my team of Dunn's and A-Rod's...who's going to win?

I love responses like this. I'm sure the OP never said anything about Eckstein or Erstad. And I doubt he said anything about Dunn or Rodriguez. I won't bother to read his drivel either - but this is just insane.

You take a team full of Alex Rodriguez (arguably the best player of this generation) and wow - my gosh - I am shocked - you will win a lot of games. No ****? But guess what - they will lose 100% of the games to my team of Transformers - there's more than meets the eye. You imaginary team of Rodriguez's will have a minor issue around salary (unless you plan on building a 400,000 seat stadium and charging $100 a ticket to see them, and sell out. Your imaginary team of Rodriguez's might as well have wings, turbo boost, etc. since they don't exist.

You take a team full of Adam Dunn's - and you don't win ****. Dunn is a good walker, but a bad hitter. The two don't offset when the chips are down.

Give me a team full of guys who are good baseball players AND good teammates, you take the guys who are equally good baseball players and BAD teammates. Your team will win fewer games than mine. It's not brain surgery. That's all the OP was saying. Spare us your FJM-Wannabe hyperbole.

oeo
10-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Well, MacDougal and Logan I think realize they're both in the dog house. Broadway, OTOH, is stupid. As of right now, there's an opening in the starting rotation for next year. I hope he doesn't get it, but this doesn't help his chances.

Craig Grebeck
10-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I love responses like this. I'm sure the OP never said anything about Eckstein or Erstad. And I doubt he said anything about Dunn or Rodriguez. I won't bother to read his drivel either - but this is just insane.

You take a team full of Alex Rodriguez (arguably the best player of this generation) and wow - my gosh - I am shocked - you will win a lot of games. No ****? But guess what - they will lose 100% of the games to my team of Transformers - there's more than meets the eye. You imaginary team of Rodriguez's will have a minor issue around salary (unless you plan on building a 400,000 seat stadium and charging $100 a ticket to see them, and sell out. Your imaginary team of Rodriguez's might as well have wings, turbo boost, etc. since they don't exist.

You take a team full of Adam Dunn's - and you don't win ****. Dunn is a good walker, but a bad hitter. The two don't offset when the chips are down.

Give me a team full of guys who are good baseball players AND good teammates, you take the guys who are equally good baseball players and BAD teammates. Your team will win fewer games than mine. It's not brain surgery. That's all the OP was saying. Spare us your FJM-Wannabe hyperbole.
I didn't feel like being a dick and starting a thread about this, but have you changed your stance on BBs not coming in the postseason?

ChiSoxFan81
10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
It's too bad MacDougal and Logan didn't decide to leave the team earlier....like in April.

Good God, I can't stand MacDougal. Whenever I'm at a game and he comes in, I just cover my face until he's out. Hope we never have to see him again.

Lefty34
10-06-2008, 02:36 PM

But that wasn't the statement that was made. Just in case you are having trouble, here it is again, this time in bold-face:

This does not surprise me. The players with talent want to take a walk and sulk. The team players, who lack talent, are there to support their team.

If this does not sound incredibly moronic and backwards to you (why do you hate BB's so much, btw?), thus necessitating my aforementioned hyperbole, then you are just as backwards as the statement. So please, good sir, spare us your know-it-all tone which is underpinned by...well nothing, really. And I think I do a good job of being FJM-Like in my prose, what of it?

Iwritecode
10-06-2008, 02:44 PM

Wasn't it the A's in the 80's that hated each other all the way to the World Series?

Lip Man 1
10-06-2008, 03:42 PM
The 1970's... they were united in their hated of owner Charlie Finley and his penny pinching ways.

Lip

Berkules
10-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I hate Boone Logan as much as Boone from the first season from Lost. Every time he came in when I saw the Sox play in California, or any time on television, he epitomized the definition of unreliability. I personally heckled him when they played the Giants in May telling him if he screwed a three-run lead up I would .... well maybe being a bad Sox fan there but there was no reason we couldn't have swept the Giants...except Boone Logan...luckily we won THREE!

Don't ever let anyone tell you a game doesn't matter in 162 game season..you never want to play 163, but what a f-in game!

GO SOX!

Craig Grebeck
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I hate Boone Logan as much as Boone from the first season from Lost. Every time he came in when I saw the Sox play in California, or any time on television, he epitomized the definition of unreliability. I personally heckled him when they played the Giants in May telling him if he screwed a three-run lead up I would .... well maybe being a bad Sox fan there but there was no reason we couldn't have swept the Giants...except Boone Logan...luckily we won THREE!

Don't ever let anyone tell you a game doesn't matter in 162 game season..you never want to play 163, but what a f-in game!

GO SOX!
Boone pitched 2/3 of an inning against the Giants in San Francisco. He struck out two and gave up no hits. Good job heckling him though.

I still want to work on Boone. He's under our control for a while, why trade him for nothing?

Berkules
10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
He got out of the inning because I heckled him ;)

I'm just saying, there's gotta be a better situational lefty out there. We throws hard and gets hit hard, no?