PDA

View Full Version : What Did The White Sox Attendance #'s Look Like In 2008? Will We Have $$ To Spend?

Thome25
10-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm an out-of-towner so I'm not sure what the White Sox attendance #'s looked like. Did we draw alot? As result, will we have the money to spend on marquee free agents in the offseason?

If we did draw enough fans in 2008 I sure hope JR and KW spend some $$ in the offseason. (I know we're still in it and this thread is by no means meaning to intend that the season is over. I started this because I'm curious.)

Thanks to anyone who posts!!

hawkjt
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I think it came in at about 2.8 million...not bad...and I really think next year it will go back over 3 million now that the Sox have injected the youthful stars like Carlos,Alexei,JohnnyDanks,Gavin into the bloodstream.
My optimism for the future is definitely higher than last year at this time.. expectations will be that the Sox can repeat,imo, with any moves at all in the off-season. No rebuilding for the Sox now...just competing.

Flight #24
10-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I think it came in at about 2.8 million...not bad...and I really think next year it will go back over 3 million now that the Sox have injected the youthful stars like Carlos,Alexei,JohnnyDanks,Gavin into the bloodstream.
My optimism for the future is definitely higher than last year at this time.. expectations will be that the Sox can repeat,imo, with any moves at all in the off-season. No rebuilding for the Sox now...just competing.

Don't forget that little exta bit of playoff revenue, and the added enthusiasm one would hope to get in the offseason from the continued development of the youngsters and the return of TCQ to a playoff team. Hopefully that provides enough to add one decent salaried guy (ideally an MIF or 3B who can lead off).

sbsox
10-05-2008, 11:50 AM
When we were at the playoff game on Tuesday night we were trying to guess what that game did for the whitesox bottom line.. Do the Sox get to keep the revenue from that game or do they split it with the Twins or the league? We were guessing they grossed over $1.5 million from the game.

LauraJ14
10-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Actually their attendance was 2.5 million this season, 2007 attendance was 2.7 million.

DumpJerry
10-05-2008, 12:28 PM
2,500,648 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2008.shtml)

Attendance is not the biggest factor when setting the budget. Concession sales, media payments, revenue sharing, merchandise revenue sharing are among the larger considerations.

greenpeach
10-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Two main reasons for the downward trend that I can think of.

1. The first is that the Sox are coming off of a very disappointing 2007 season.

2. The second is that because of the Cubs "run to glory" this year, a lot of casual baseball fans gravitated towards them. We were kind of lost in the mix because of the one hundreth anniversary of their last championship & the basic fact that up until October they were the best team in the National League.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Thome:

They'll have money to spend since the odds are five or six of this current team will not be around next season.

If Contreras is insured and doesn't play at all next year (both of which are possible) the Sox won't be on the hook for his ten million.

Lip

Sox4ever77
10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Thome:

They'll have money to spend since the odds are five or six of this current team will not be around next season.

If Contreras is insured and doesn't play at all next year (both of which are possible) the Sox won't be on the hook for his ten million.

Lip

How much is the insurance on a $10 million contract?

jabrch
10-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Hopefully they used the potential of this series to sell a lot of 2009 Season Tickets...because advance committed revenue is more important than actualized 2008 revenue in terms of planning a budget for an organization like this.

Parrothead
10-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I would not count on the Sox spending a lot more or attendance going up next year due to the state of the economy. There is not a lot of disposable income out there right now, especially for going to a game. It is quite expensive for a family to go, in any sport. I would expect the minor leagues doing a little better next year. ESPN has a good article on how the sporting world is and going to be affected by the shrinking economy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/columns/story?columnist=joyce_gare&id=3622898

TDog
10-05-2008, 03:24 PM
When we were at the playoff game on Tuesday night we were trying to guess what that game did for the whitesox bottom line.. Do the Sox get to keep the revenue from that game or do they split it with the Twins or the league? We were guessing they grossed over $1.5 million from the game.

The rules on the division of the gate have changed over the years. I'm not sure where it is now. When I was a kid, American League visiting teams got 40 percent of the gate. National league visiting teams got a flat fee, something like 60 cents, for every ticket sold. I don't believe the visiting team gets a percentage of regular season games anymore, but recieves more general payments. I'm not sure what there is, if anything, beyond revenue sharing. I especially do not know how the receipts for a division playoff game is divided among the teams. Postseason ticket revenues go to major league baseball and contribute to players' shares of postseason money.

I expect more excitement among Sox fans heading into 2009 in any case.

white sox bill
10-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Last time I checked, to put it in another light, both us and that other team 7 miles away, were 5th in thier respective leagues attendance wise. But that was several weeks ago

nasox
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM

Attendance is not the biggest factor when setting the budget. Concession sales, media payments, revenue sharing, merchandise revenue sharing are among the larger considerations.

That is true, but attendance affects all of those factors. If less people go the park, then there are less concession sales.

SpartanSoxFan
10-05-2008, 09:15 PM
:bundy

Eeegads!!!! Did you just mention the word "attendance" around here? May God have mercy on your soul....:redneck

BRDSR
10-05-2008, 09:19 PM
How much is the insurance on a $10 million contract?

Whatever it is, if the contract is insured, the cost of the insurance has already been paid. Thus, it need not be factored into future costs.

Still, I had the same question about whether the contract was insured. How does a baseball fan find out something like that?

Hitmen77
10-05-2008, 09:28 PM

Not to belabor the attendance number (I know that's a no-no here), but I think this year's totals were brought down a bit by the awful weather we had.

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Uh-oh... you said the "A" word!

nsdjoe
10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Attendance was down for MLB as a whole. Selig attributes it to bad weather, high gas prices and shaky economy.

Thome25
10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
For the record, I didn't start this thread because I wanted to start a debate about White Sox attendance and if our fans attend games or not.(<<<I know that's a no-no around here.)

I just wanted to know the #'s out of curiousity because I'm out of town and I don't get to see attendance figures. It was a valid thread topic because IMO it will be a factor that will decide if the White Sox will be major players in the FA market.

kitekrazy
10-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Not to belabor the attendance number (I know that's a no-no here), but I think this year's totals were brought down a bit by the awful weather we had.

That and the economy. If the organization feels they are a couple of players away from winning it all, they'll spend the money.

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2008, 12:14 PM

:hawk

RockJock07
10-06-2008, 12:40 PM
For the record, I didn't start this thread because I wanted to start a debate about White Sox attendance and if our fans attend games or not.(<<<I know that's a no-no around here.)

I just wanted to know the #'s out of curiousity because I'm out of town and I don't get to see attendance figures. It was a valid thread topic because IMO it will be a factor that will decide if the White Sox will be major players in the FA market.

I was a intern for the Kane County Cougars, the single A team in Geneva. Granted their tickets are $12 but they made most of their money on concessions, almost 75% of their revenue was on concessions. I doubt the Sox are like that because they outsource their concessions were the Cougars didn't but I wouldn't be surprised that they make a formable profit on concession and merchandise.

As far as your question goes, I doubt the Sox are going after CC so I don't think the Sox attendance numbers will affect who KW and JR goes after in FA.

34 Inch Stick
10-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Two main reasons for the downward trend that I can think of.

1. The first is that the Sox are coming off of a very disappointing 2007 season.

2. The second is that because of the Cubs "run to glory" this year, a lot of casual baseball fans gravitated towards them. We were kind of lost in the mix because of the one hundreth anniversary of their last championship & the basic fact that up until October they were the best team in the National League.

3. most people have been feeling a financial pinch for the better part of a year. spending on entertainment is one of the first cuts that are made by a logical person in such a situation.

Mohoney
10-06-2008, 04:24 PM
There might be money for another quality bullpen arm like Juan Cruz, which IMO is the biggest need.

Whatever available funds we have should be invested in this order of priority:

1. Fortify the bullpen
2. Add speed at the top of the order
3. Grab another starter to replace Contreras if he can't go

Parrothead
10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
3. most people have been feeling a financial pinch for the better part of a year. spending on entertainment is one of the first cuts that are made by a logical person in such a situation.

Lots of people are morons. If people spent logically, the country would not be in this mess. People bought to much mortgage and have too much credit. Now look what it leads to.

HangWiffum
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
what an utter failure of a season

manders_01
10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
what an utter failure of a season

That is your opinion so it can't be wrong, but I wish you didn't feel that way. Although disappointing we are not moving on in the postseason, for a team that was "only supposed to finish third", we surprised a lot of people. There are things that need to be worked this off season but overall, I'd say this season was a tremendous improvement over last. Chin up man. :thumbsup:

HangWiffum
10-06-2008, 08:48 PM
That is your opinion so it can't be wrong, but I wish you didn't feel that way. Although disappointing we are not moving on in the postseason, for a team that was "only supposed to finish third", we surprised a lot of people. There are things that need to be worked this off season but overall, I'd say this season was a tremendous improvement over last. Chin up man. :thumbsup:

it's an absolute missed opportunity. this team could have gone farther if it was just constructed a lil bit differently. we've got too many of the same type of player and kenny just keeps on adding them.