PDA

View Full Version : Matt Garza Not in a Dome/On Turf? Awful!

kjhanson
10-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Matt Garza has a fine ERA of 3.70 and has given up just 19 HRs in 184.2 IP. On turf, he's even better with an ERA of 2.48 and just 5 HRs in 116 IP. But on Grass? The man is no good:

3-4, 5.77 ERA
14 HRs in 68.2 IP!!!!

Here are his game logs in those contests:
@BAL 5.1 IP, 5 ER, 2 HR
@BAL 6 IP, 2 ER, 1 HR
@STL 4.1 IP, 6 ER, 1 HR
@BOS 5.1 IP, 5 ER, 2 HR
@TEX 4 IP, 3 ER, 2 HR
@FLA 9 IP, 1 ER, 1 HR (1 hit)
@CLE 5 IP, 7 ER, 2 HR
@KC 5 IP, 4 ER, 0 HR
@SEA 5.2, 5 ER, 1 HR
@TEX 9 IP, 0 ER, 0 HR (2 hits)
@NY 5 IP, 3 ER, 1 HR
@DET 5 IP, 3 ER, 1 HR

In short, he's been downright terrible except for two occasions where he threw 1-hit and 2-hit complete games. Remove those outliers, and his ERA is near 8 in all other appearances. I'm not saying we're gonna put some runs on the board, but damnit guys, here's our opportunity.

Garza, of course, used to pitch for Twins, so he obviously bought into the domedom philosophy they spew. He made two starts against us last year. The first, we had 8 baserunners in 6 innings and couldn't scratch a run. In the second outing, he lasted just 4 innings, 9 hits, 2 HRs (only 3 ER though). Thome and Konerko provided back-to-back blasts in the first. That was followed up by three consecutive singles (Dye, Cintron, Uribe), though no more runs. He also threw against us on the second to last day of 2006, but not one Sox player in that lineup will be in today's lineup.

HartmanSox
10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Kazmir has been poor as of late and he didn't have a problem now did he?

The fact is, the Sox have an uncanny ability to make even the most average of pitchers look like Nolan Ryan. This has been consistent all year.

sox1970
10-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Danks' stats sucked against the Twins going into Tuesday's game.

Throw out the stats.

hawkjt
10-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Kazmir has been poor as of late and he didn't have a problem now did he?

The fact is, the Sox have an uncanny ability to make even the most average of pitchers look like Nolan Ryan. This has been consistent all year.

Sorry, Kazmir absolutely did suck the other day. One big hit and he is outta there in the first.
Now, a pitcher can suck and get away with it if the opposing team gets no clutch hits.
If Garza gives up 12 hits today, I like our chances.

HartmanSox
10-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Sorry, Kazmir absolutely did suck the other day. One big hit and he is outta there in the first.
Now, a pitcher can suck and get away with it if the opposing team gets no clutch hits.
If Garza gives up 12 hits today, I like our chances.

We had 12 hits on Friday, how'd that turn out.

Stats don't mean **** at this point.

hawkjt
10-05-2008, 11:49 AM
We had 12 hits on Friday, how'd that turn out.

Stats don't mean **** at this point.

When do stats matter? Stats have never won any game,right?
Why even bother to keep track of the stats. Only stat that matters is the W,right?

Since no team has ever had 12 hits and only two runs in the playoffs since the 59 Sox, I like our chances if we get those 12 hits.