PDA

View Full Version : Why Danks and not Floyd?

balke
10-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I know Danks had an amazing outing last time, and has been the best pitcher for stretches of the season.

No disrespect here, just an honest question. Why are the Sox going with Danks? That was the first time he ever pitched on short rest, and now he's pitching 4 days later?

I was hoping Floyd (our stopper a ton this season) shuts the door tonight, Danks takes us to game 5 tomorrow, and Richard/bullpen/Buehrle/Vazquez pitch their hearts out back at Tampa.

Is this a rhythm thing? Or just a "reward" to Danks for the Minnesota game? I think the Sox should've picked Floyd if he's healthy and ready to go.

The Wunsch
10-05-2008, 10:15 AM
the rays are way better against righties. i'm pretty sure that is the main reason.

i also think that floyds long delivery makes him too vulnerable to the stolen base with upton and crawford.

but in any event its floyd in game 4.

RealFan
10-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Danks is pitching five days after his last start on four days rest - or his usual routine during the regular season. Ozzie wants to go with a left hander as the Rays have fared worse against southpaws.

CHISOXFAN13
10-05-2008, 10:31 AM
The Rays hit about 20 points lower against lefties.

WHILEPITCH
10-05-2008, 10:32 AM
i really hope we can get Floyd some postseason experience. Obviously the Tigers game was a huge amount of pressure, but still - it would help us in the future to make sure Danks/Floyd have already been there.

btrain929
10-05-2008, 10:55 AM
The Rays hit about 20 points lower against lefties.

That, and...

Danks vs TB this year: 19.1 IP, 20 K's, 1.86 ERA.

Any other questions?

Billy Ashley
10-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Danks is a better pitcher in just about every way and today is a must win game?

Floyd had a great season but when looking at his peripherals one can see that Danks is clearly a much better pitcher. The kid's a stud.

angiew
10-05-2008, 12:20 PM
That, and...

Danks vs TB this year: 19.1 IP, 20 K's, 1.86 ERA.

Any other questions?

SWEET numbers!

balke
10-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Danks is a better pitcher in just about every way and today is a must win game?

Floyd had a great season but when looking at his peripherals one can see that Danks is clearly a much better pitcher. The kid's a stud.

True, but I have just as much faith in one as I do the other right now. Floyd has been awesome. Danks I think might need the rest based on the late season drag, but we will see. I wasn't aware TB was so bad against lefties. That makes it a good move, hopefully its 2 consecutive shutouts either way.

Optipessimism
10-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Either way, we have our two best pitchers overall, stuff-wise and ability-wise, going for us these next two days. Then we've got our horse in Buehrle whose big hairy game balls sweep the ground as they swing menacingly back and forth during his windup. Mark is not afraid to pitch in the dome. The Sox can win these next three as long as the offense shows up and the team plays defense. The Rays aren't this great juggernaut, they're a smart baseball team that does the right things, and all the games they've won so far this regular season and now in the playoffs represent just how bad your average team will play over the course of the season.

balke
10-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I'm really optimistic about making it to game 5, and at that point hoping for a miracle. I think this offense is due to explode a little.

TDog
10-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Danks isn't better than Floyd in just about every way. I've been disappointed with Danks in many of his outings because regarless of his pitch count, he has seemed to be done after six innings. Had he stayed longer in games, his ERA likely would be higher. That was why I was so excited with the playoff-game win. Eight shutout innings for the first time in his career. Incredible. Floyd has more wins than Danks, in part, because Floyd tends to be effective longer. I hope Danks turned the corner against the Twins, a team against which he had a couple of bad starts this year.

There isn't a big difference between the two pitchers until you look at the opponent. The Sox hope to have a better shot pitching a lefty against the Rays. Also, Danks has a better shot at holding runners. Holding runners is something Floyd doesn't do.

The Sox, obviously, need to win today. They need to win tomorrow after winning today. Both Danks and Floyd would need to win. First things first. A win today, a win tomorrow and all of a sudden you're playing another one-game playoff, with Buehrle on the mound.

balke
10-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Danks isn't better than Floyd in just about every way. I've been disappointed with Danks in many of his outings because regarless of his pitch count, he has seemed to be done after six innings. Had he stayed longer in games, his ERA likely would be higher. That was why I was so excited with the playoff-game win. Eight shutout innings for the first time in his career. Incredible. Floyd has more wins than Danks, in part, because Floyd tends to be effective longer. I hope Danks turned the corner against the Twins, a team against which he had a couple of bad starts this year.

There isn't a big difference between the two pitchers until you look at the opponent. The Sox hope to have a better shot pitching a lefty against the Rays. Also, Danks has a better shot at holding runners. Holding runners is something Floyd doesn't do.

The Sox, obviously, need to win today. They need to win tomorrow after winning today. Both Danks and Floyd would need to win. First things first. A win today, a win tomorrow and all of a sudden you're playing another one-game playoff, with Buehrle on the mound.

I don't know, one big game out of either pitcher... I might go Danks. He has the tendancy to show up for big games, and has more shutdown stuff IMO. Floyd is very reliable though, and does go longer on average. Tough call. This isn't what this thread is about, I don't wanna have to choose who's better, just a question of rest for me.

chaerulez
10-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Probably to give an edge against the lefties in the Rays lineup and Navarro is a switch hitter who is weaker hitting from the right side.

fusillirob1983
10-05-2008, 01:30 PM
He's going on normal rest, so rest isn't an issue.

He's a lefty and has dominated vs. TB, who struggles against lefties.

He holds runners better than Floyd.

I don't think anything else (i.e. big game pitcher, etc.) is a factor. The fact that he holds runners better than Floyd may not even be a factor.

jabrch
10-05-2008, 01:33 PM
If we are going to win this series, we will need to win 1 start by both Danks and Floyd. Doesn't matter which order we get them in.

fusillirob1983
10-05-2008, 01:41 PM
If we are going to win this series, we will need to win 1 start by both Danks and Floyd. Doesn't matter which order we get them in.

When the rotation was set, there was a possibility of needing only 3 starters.