PDA

View Full Version : George Ofman Rebuilds the Cubs

Brian26
10-05-2008, 11:10 AM
This joker is talking out of his ass this morning. So far, he's got Brian Roberts, Bobby Abreu and Joe Mauer on the Cubs next year through trades.

:rolleyes:x10

Edit- Isn't Abreu a FA, or did the Yankees re-sign him?

Rockabilly
10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I will bet my 2 houses that Joe Mauer won't be leaving the Twins anytime soon...

NLaloosh
10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
The flubbies will trade them Prior for Mauer. What team could turn down the greatest pithcer that ever lived?

PatK
10-05-2008, 12:03 PM
He was on a roll when I was listening, and their dumb fanbase was even better.

The only bright thing I heard may have been George (and I think it was him) saying that the Cubs need to bite the bullet and start off Fukudome in the minors next year. It's obvious he isn't ready to be a major league hitter. And with his contract and performance, no one would take him.

People scoffed at me when I said that at best, he'd put up Iguchi-like numbers but with more power. The only thing he did better than Iguchi was that he scored 4 more runs and struck out about 10 times less.

chaerulez
10-05-2008, 01:33 PM
This joker is talking out of his ass this morning. So far, he's got Brian Roberts, Bobby Abreu and Joe Mauer on the Cubs next year through trades.

:rolleyes:x10

Edit- Isn't Abreu a FA, or did the Yankees re-sign him?

I think he was saying those are the type of players the Cubs should get.

I doubt he seriously believes Joe Mauer can be had in a trade.

Optipessimism
10-05-2008, 02:01 PM
He was on a roll when I was listening, and their dumb fanbase was even better.

The only bright thing I heard may have been George (and I think it was him) saying that the Cubs need to bite the bullet and start off Fukudome in the minors next year. It's obvious he isn't ready to be a major league hitter. And with his contract and performance, no one would take him.

People scoffed at me when I said that at best, he'd put up Iguchi-like numbers but with more power. The only thing he did better than Iguchi was that he scored 4 more runs and struck out about 10 times less.
I said basically the same thing, Iguchi with a better OBP and slightly more power. Actually I think Gooch in 2005-06 was a much better player.

I also said at the time that Jose Guillen would prove to be a better contract than Fukudome, and despite a bad year from Guillen, I still think that will prove to be the case. The Royals could move Guillen if they liked because he has a track record, and any team willing to add a bad-attitude player (Nationals, Dusty Baker's Reds maybe, Rangers) would consider taking him. Fukudome I'm not so sure about. Juan Rivera will probably cost about 60% less even on the free agent market and will deliver better production.

Optipessimism
10-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I think he was saying those are the type of players the Cubs should get.

I doubt he seriously believes Joe Mauer can be had in a trade.
If the Cubs offer up Zambrano, Marmol, Samardijza or however you spell it, Soto, Harden, and take on Michael Cuddyer, I think they can get Mauer.

eriqjaffe
10-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't hear any of the rantings (probably a good thing) but I can't see Mauer being enough of an upgrade over Soto that it'd be worth what they'd have to give up.

That being said, I wouldn't mind the Sox facing Mauer 12 fewer times during the season.

DumpJerry
10-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Joe Mauer will never leave the Twins unless his arm falls off and his eyesight disappears. The guy grew up in the Twin Cities being a Twins fan. After he retires next month, he will be either in the front office or on the coaching staff. I can't see there being enough money on this planet to pry him away (I'm sure his endorsement value up there rivals Michael Jordan's here during his prime).

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Joe Mauer will never leave the Twins unless his arm falls off and his eyesight disappears. The guy grew up in the Twin Cities being a Twins fan. After he retires next month, he will be either in the front office or on the coaching staff. I can't see there being enough money on this planet to pry him away (I'm sure his endorsement value up there rivals Michael Jordan's here during his prime).Exactly. The Mauer family is huge in Twin Cities sports, and has been for decades. When he does retire, there will be a Joe Mauer statue outside of Target Field.

1908<2005
10-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Why the hell do the Cubs need Mauer? Soto is a great catcher.

oeo
10-06-2008, 01:42 AM

Until he gets his fat contract and gets off the PED's.:duck:

turners56
10-06-2008, 08:11 AM
The Twins wouldn't trade Joe Mauer for Wrigley Field. xD

thomas35forever
10-06-2008, 11:02 AM
The Twins wouldn't trade Joe Mauer for Wrigley Field. xD
As much as I hate the Twins, Mauer for Wrigley would just be insulting, even for them.:wink:

jabrch
10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
(I'm sure his endorsement value up there rivals Michael Jordan's here during his prime).

WHAT?

If every person in the Twin cities doubles their spending in 2009 on anything Mauer touches, he won't have 1/4 the endorsement value that Michael Jordan had in his prime.

turners56
10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
As much as I hate the Twins, Mauer for Wrigley would just be insulting, even for them.:wink:

You know, if that trade was pulled off, we'd benefit a lot. That is of course...the Cubs fans don't show up for every game.

veeter
10-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Hasn't George figured out yet that it doesn't matter who the cubs get? They're still blessing dugouts for God's sake. It'll never happen.

NLaloosh
10-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Yeah, that was the flubs problem.

chisoxmike
10-07-2008, 12:36 PM
The flubbies will trade them Prior for Mauer. What team could turn down the greatest pithcer that ever lived?

Except Prior isn't on the Cubs anymore.