PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Dodgers V Flubbies thread III

Nellie_Fox
10-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Continue to rant.

LongLiveFisk
10-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Lou Piniella said he thought the Cubs played a "good ballgame." Was he watching the same game the rest of us were? :scratch:

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Not sure about anyone else, but I'm very curious to see the Tribune headline tomorrow morning.

thomas35forever
10-05-2008, 01:57 AM
I just listened to that Eddie Vedder song for the first time. Yes, Eddie. Someday, they will go all the way...IN YOUR DREAMS!!!!

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2008, 01:58 AM
I just listened to that Eddie Vedder song for the first time. Yes, Eddie. Someday, they will go all the way...IN YOUR DREAMS!!!!
I was thinking that the Moody Blues' song "In Your Wildest Dreams" would be fitting here.

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2008, 02:00 AM
I was thinking that the Moody Blues' song "In Your Wildest Dreams" would be fitting here.

How about some Hives... "Hate To Say I Told You So"

cub killer
10-05-2008, 02:06 AM

Or Debbie Gibson's "Only in my dreams". That 80s bubble gum pop fits cubdom's personality perfectly.

MrRoboto83
10-05-2008, 02:23 AM
The "Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" is the only selection for the Cubs.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 02:27 AM
The Score is STILL taking calls. I need to go to bed.

JermaineDye05
10-05-2008, 02:47 AM
So honest opinions, did the Cubs choak? Or did the Dodgers simply beat them? Or was it a little bit of both?

my honest opinion is the Cubs choked, at least in the first 2 games. They should have won those 2 at home, Dempster just lost it and kept walking everyone. In game 2 Zambrano pitched pretty well, the Cubs defense just decided to implode.

Game 3, the Dodgers just outplayed the Cubs. Kuroda shut the Cubs down and the Dodgers bullpen did a good job keeping the Cubs at bay. Russel Martin was clutch as hell in this series as was James Loney.

ChiSoxGirl
10-05-2008, 03:04 AM
The real question is what are they going to do with all those This is the Year books they had printed? Unless the book is about this being the year the World Series Championship drought continues.... :wink:

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2008, 03:05 AM
The real question is what are they going to do with all those This is the Year books they had printed? Unless the book is about this being the year the World Series Championship drought continues.... :wink:

THIS IS THE YEAR... for a 99 cent sale! :D:

whitesoxfan
10-05-2008, 03:15 AM

Or maybe they'll just make it a silver and black book as we win the title again.

LITTLE NELL
10-05-2008, 04:58 AM
I feel so bad for the Cubs and all their wonderful fans.

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Or Debbie Gibson's "Only in my dreams". That 80s bubble gum pop fits cubdom's personality perfectly.

If you're gonna go with bubblegum, this one's also fitting:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RRQN8705L._SL160_AA115_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Oops-I-Did-Again/dp/B00004SCX6/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223203459&sr=8-29)

OOPS, WE DID IT AGAIN!!!

WSox597
10-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Cheer up Cub fans, you still have that other trophy you're always bragging about.

Too bad you don't get rings for that.

Whitesoxfan23
10-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Regardless of what happens today, what the Cubs did was far worse. Nobody expected the Sox to even make it this far, meanwhile most people picked the Cubs to either go to, or win the world series. Cub fans got very very cocky, and were convinced this was their year.

Sad
10-05-2008, 07:29 AM
I am honestly shocked the Cubs went down in flames... unbelievable...

LITTLE NELL
10-05-2008, 07:51 AM
I am honestly shocked the Cubs went down in flames... unbelievable...
Based on their history I'm not shocked at all.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Regardless of what happens today, what the Cubs did was far worse. Nobody expected the Sox to even make it this far, meanwhile most people picked the Cubs to either go to, or win the world series. Cub fans got very very cocky, and were convinced this was their year.

That is very, very true. I know it won't happen but Cubbie fans and their Kool-Aide servers in the media really should refrain from the boastful crap. WGN Radio, in particular, played that clip of Santo saying, "THIS IS OUR YEAR! quite literally thousands of times. In the Sox newsgroup all season long a Cubbie fan has been posting comments about "the Great Chicago Cubs" and promised a Angels-Cubs World Series.

You'd think that they'd say, "The Cubbies seem to be good this year...I really hope they can finally win..."

But since they didn't learn from last seasons post-season Cubbie collapse I doubt they'll learn from this years.

Now hopefully is the Sox day! Please win today White Sox! IF you do, then I get to go tomorrow!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/thumb/266246.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1223212202&Signature=xV2ZRBnI0NaHUv7TiuinlHBBdig%3D
IT DID, AGAIN!

Frater Perdurabo
10-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I am breathing a sigh of relief that Fukudome chose to sign with the Cubs instead of with the Sox. He actually performed worse every month this year.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2008, 08:09 AM
I am breathing a sigh of relief that Fukudome chose to sign with the Cubs instead of with the Sox. He actually performed worse every month this year.

Very interesting article by Paul "Sully" Sullivan in the Trib today entitled, "LITTLE INTEREST IN KOSUKE FUKUDOME IN JAPAN." (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-05-nlds-fukudome-isaacson-cuoct05,0,6968937.story) This article, IIRC, seems to be exactly opposite what has been published about FukU before this.

Weren't they telling the public that FukU was the most popular player after Ichiro?

I wonder what the purpose of this article is, are they paving the way for them to ditch FukU, much in the way they had Sully turn on Sosa prior to their ditching Sosa?

ILuvThatDuck
10-05-2008, 08:17 AM
:whocares:

Woofer
10-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Very interesting article by Paul "Sully" Sullivan in the Trib today entitled, "LITTLE INTEREST IN KOSUKE FUKUDOME IN JAPAN." (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-05-nlds-fukudome-isaacson-cuoct05,0,6968937.story)This article, IIRC, seems to be exactly opposite what has been published about FukU before this.

Weren't they telling the public that FukU was the most popular player after Ichiro?

I wonder what the purpose of this article is, are they paving the way for them to ditch FukU, much in the way they had Sully turn on Sosa prior to their ditching Sosa?

I think that he was compared to as a cross between Ichiro and Hideki Matsui.

Brian26
10-05-2008, 08:29 AM

The Sox have a chance to match or even do better than the Cubs, and that's without Crede, Quentin, Contreras and Linebrink with a bum shoulder.

C-Dawg
10-05-2008, 08:49 AM
The real question is what are they going to do with all those This is the Year books they had printed?

They'll probably wind up in the same dumpster as those 2003 books, the one with the players hugging Dusty baker on the front cover.

At least in 2005, the celebratory books didn't hit the presses until after the championship, thus sparing any embarassment if the Sox didn't win it all.

PatK
10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Very interesting article by Paul "Sully" Sullivan in the Trib today entitled, "LITTLE INTEREST IN KOSUKE FUKUDOME IN JAPAN." (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-05-nlds-fukudome-isaacson-cuoct05,0,6968937.story) This article, IIRC, seems to be exactly opposite what has been published about FukU before this.

Well you know the Cubs fanbase and media, they always have to come up with a scapegoat.

Personally, I think it's disgusting what they are doing to the guy. Those fans never stop amazing me the way that they go from worshipping to vilifying their players.

soxpride724
10-05-2008, 09:30 AM

My guess is that they will use them for next year.:rolleyes:

DoItForDanPasqua
10-05-2008, 09:33 AM
:whocares:

I would say you care, since you clicked on this thread and bothered making a post.

minutia
10-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Dan Roan on WGN in April durring his 9pm newscast announced that the WS trophy should just be given to the Cubs then.

turners56
10-05-2008, 09:35 AM
I feel bad for the real fans, but for the rest of Cub Nation, learn your god damn lesson and keep your mouth shut until you win something.

guillensdisciple
10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Not sure about anyone else, but I'm very curious to see the Tribune headline tomorrow morning.

Front and back cover with a cubs fan crying..... Sox will be found somewhere in the tempo section.

Brian26
10-05-2008, 09:40 AM
As someone who grew up in the Chicago area--albeit in NW Indiana-- I find it inconceivable that any Sox fan can get down on another Sox fan for riding the Cubs. All through the 60's and 70's Cubs fans constantly gave me **** for being a Sox fan,and I gave it right back. That did not mean I wanted the Sox to win any less than I hoped the Cubs would lose. The rivalry was in the fabric of the city and I still love it. So give it a break please.

Excellent post. I think to truly grasp the intensity of the rivalry between these two teams' fanbases, you need to live and work in the Chicago area. You can't compare it to the way it was in the early 80s or 90s, you can't base your judgement on what you see in the media or read in print or hear from your friends. You need to experience firsthand on a day-to-day basis, and then you can understand how intense it has become.

I go back and forth on this issue, but if there was ever a time when people deserve to rant, it would be now.

Brian26
10-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I feel bad for the real fans, but for the rest of Cub Nation, learn your god damn lesson and keep your mouth shut until you win something.

It's karma. I can't remember one Sox fan in 2005 that was gloating throughout the season that they were destined to win the World Series.

slowlearner
10-05-2008, 09:51 AM
This only applies to a minority of Cubs fans, and is honestly probably more an indictment of the media than anything, but what what really bothers me is the attitude of entitlement. It's as if someone stole their world series. Drives me crazy.

Brian26
10-05-2008, 10:02 AM
This only applies to a minority of Cubs fans, and is honestly probably more an indictment of the media than anything, but what what really bothers me is the attitude of entitlement. It's as if someone stole their world series. Drives me crazy.

I didn't think it was possible that the 2005 World Series Championship could become even more legendary three years after the fact, but that's what has indirectly happened. Since the Red Sox, White Sox and Cardinals won it last, the Cubs surely must have been entitled to win it on the 100-year anniversary. Wrong. You don't get World Series trophies out of a bubblegum machine.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Here's some things that make me happy about this latest Cubby debacle.

*I remember Cub fans rooting extra hard for the National League in the All-Star game because they were sure that meant home field advantage in the World Series.
*No more will we be seeing that W flag on t-shirts and and hanging in people's windows. It is one of the greatest acts of missing irony that I have ever seen.
*The fact that Cub fans will tell you that they do not believe in any curse, but turn around and say that this is the year of destiny because it's been 100 years, or that the Cubs have to be next after the Red Sox and White Sox have won the World Series.

TommyJohn
10-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Very interesting article by Paul "Sully" Sullivan in the Trib today entitled, "LITTLE INTEREST IN KOSUKE FUKUDOME IN JAPAN." (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-05-nlds-fukudome-isaacson-cuoct05,0,6968937.story)This article, IIRC, seems to be exactly opposite what has been published about FukU before this.

Slimy is the word that comes to mind. I remember the preseason hype for Fukudome and how popular he was. Looks like they'll be buying out his contract soon.

Medford Bobby
10-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I think it comes with a Wally Phillips book when you buy a new washer...:?:

LongLiveFisk
10-05-2008, 10:22 AM

You summed up my feelings exactly here.

alohafri
10-05-2008, 10:25 AM

And will they leave in the chapter entitled..."How the Cubs beat the American League to win the World Series."

doublem23
10-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Well you know the Cubs fanbase and media, they always have to come up with a scapegoat.

Personally, I think it's disgusting what they are doing to the guy. Those fans never stop amazing me the way that they go from worshipping to vilifying their players.

Whatever, Fukudome sucks. If he wasn't a fancy import from Japan, he would been sent to Des Moines in July sometime.

slavko
10-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Slimy is the word that comes to mind. I remember the preseason hype for Fukudome and how popular he was. Looks like they'll be buying out his contract soon.

You, sir, are a paranoid White Sox fan. The truth of the matter is that Fukudome is homesick, pining for the land he loves, has a sick grandmother there, and the magnanimous Cubs management is going to grant his wishes and release him from his contract as a humanitarian gesture unparalled in the history of major league baseball. And if that doesn't fly, you can have him for a low-A utility infielder and a fungo bat.

OldRomanPizza
10-05-2008, 10:56 AM
A day later.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Billy_Corgan.jpg/386px-Billy_Corgan.jpg

Billy Corgan goes into the studio to record a double album highlighting his angst and depression over the Cubs blowing it yet again.

Meanwhile....

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/say_anything/john_cusack/sayanything1.jpg

John Cusack stands outside Bud Selig's bedroom window, in hope to charm Selig into replaying the NLDS.

TornLabrum
10-05-2008, 10:57 AM

From what I've been hearing the scapegoat isn't Fukudome. It's the Greek Orthodox priest with the holy water.

PatK
10-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Whatever, Fukudome sucks. If he wasn't a fancy import from Japan, he would been sent to Des Moines in July sometime.

I'm not disagreeing with you on his performance, and I agree that it was obvious he should have been sent down. But the Cubs would have lost face doing so with their $48 million man.

I just think it's sad that he seems to be taking the most heat. You have Sorryano with 1 hit in the last 2 playoffs, Aramis doing next to nothing, and Lee driving in something like 1 run the last two playoffs.

But the media is all over Fukudome, the guy that they couldn't stop gushing over the first two months of the season.

SOXPHILE
10-05-2008, 11:12 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Gerald_Ford.jpg/225px-Gerald_Ford.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gerald_Ford.jpg)
"The long, national nightmare, is over !"

I still say Dodgers in 4.

I'm leaving to go to the Sox game in about an hour (please don't rain) - and here's hoping they can stay alive. Just win. But, there is a nice sense of relief this morning, knowing that FINALLY this whole damn THIS IS THE YEAR-IT'S GONNA HAPPEN-GO CUBS GO-BREAK THE CURSE-HISTORY '08-thing is over and done with. Now I can get back to actually enjoying myself watching the White Sox try to win a playoff game, the playoffs nobody thought they had a prayer of reaching, while all the idiot Cub fans and Cub media were shooting their mouths off in April and May that this definately was THE YEAR.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2008, 11:39 AM
They got what they deserved. You show arrogance (particularly their fans) all season and payback is a bitch isn't it?

100 years...and still counting.

Lip

southside rocks
10-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Here's a thought: what if the Cubs were to abandon Wrigley (sell the property, which should be possible even in this bad real-estate market) and build a new stadium in the NW suburbs?

I know that's much more easily said than done, but it *could be done* and new ownership might be the time to do it.

Change the stadium and you change so much of the character of that team, and they might at last be able to break free from the amber of the past century that really does trap them.

I don't know what else they can do, since it's become pretty clear that the franchise as presently constituted will not manage a WS win.

(And remember the news stories last month when the Cubs played those games as the home team in Milwaukee -- a bunch of Cubs players said 'yeah, Miller Park is really nice, it's a lot nicer than Wrigley and we'd love to have a stadium like this.')

IronFisk
10-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Here's a thought: what if the Cubs were to abandon Wrigley (sell the property, which should be possible even in this bad real-estate market) and build a new stadium in the NW suburbs?

I know that's much more easily said than done, but it *could be done* and new ownership might be the time to do it.

Change the stadium and you change so much of the character of that team, and they might at last be able to break free from the amber of the past century that really does trap them.

I don't know what else they can do, since it's become pretty clear that the franchise as presently constituted will not manage a WS win.

(And remember the news stories last month when the Cubs played those games as the home team in Milwaukee -- a bunch of Cubs players said 'yeah, Miller Park is really nice, it's a lot nicer than Wrigley and we'd love to have a stadium like this.')

too much of a cash cow - ain't happenin'.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Front and back cover with a cubs fan crying..... Sox will be found somewhere in the tempo section.

Thanks, I'm on my way to pick up a copy!

Hendu
10-05-2008, 12:18 PM

$38 million still owed? I think they're going to be stuck with him for at least a couple more years.

JermaineDye05
10-05-2008, 12:32 PM
A day later.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Billy_Corgan.jpg/386px-Billy_Corgan.jpg

Billy Corgan goes into the studio to record a double album highlighting his angst and depression over the Cubs blowing it yet again.

Meanwhile....

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/say_anything/john_cusack/sayanything1.jpg

John Cusack stands outside Bud Selig's bedroom window, in hope to charm Selig into replaying the NLDS.

http://www.dkmorgan.co.uk/pics/Bandpics/smashing_pumpkins.jpg

"Despite all the hype, the Cubs are still just a choke in the playoffs"

"Shake down 2008, Cub fans still gonna have to wait.."

Maybe this will finally get Billy pissed off again and we can get the old Billy back and not the old Billy.

Hitmen77
10-05-2008, 01:23 PM

It's karma. I can't remember one Sox fan in 2005 that was gloating throughout the season that they were destined to win the World Series.

Exactly! This is the 2nd year in a row where many fans in Cub-dumb spent the entire season shooting their mouths off that this was "their year" and "It's Gonna Happen." What a bunch of dumb-asses.

In '05, maybe part of it was the media spending the whole season telling everyone the Sox were in the race only to get an early exit from the playoffs....but I don't remember any Sox fans gloating either that we had the WS title in the bag.

GlassSox
10-05-2008, 01:37 PM
They got what they deserved. You show arrogance (particularly their fans) all season and payback is a bitch isn't it?

100 years...and still counting.

Lip

At work I have put up with the "best team" in baseball comments until I thought I would puke. I sent some emails last night to some of these people and my email in box is empty

soxinem1
10-05-2008, 01:40 PM

They'll be at the Dollar Tree for 50 cents before Halloween, right next to the 'JR Ewing' aftershave lotion and 'Aldo Nova's Greatest Hits' CD's.

GoGoCrede
10-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I went to CVS today to pick up some cough medicine, and it's astounding how the cart was put light-years ahead of the horse. I saw that Sports Illustrated issue with that huge spread on the Cubs. I also saw a Cubs hat with 1908-2008 on it. It said "chase the dream." Good lord, wait till you've won something!

turners56
10-05-2008, 02:39 PM

Same. I was very discreet that entire month.

turners56
10-05-2008, 02:42 PM
You, sir, are a paranoid White Sox fan. The truth of the matter is that Fukudome is homesick, pining for the land he loves, has a sick grandmother there, and the magnanimous Cubs management is going to grant his wishes and release him from his contract as a humanitarian gesture unparalled in the history of major league baseball. And if that doesn't fly, you can have him for a low-A utility infielder and a fungo bat.

Iguchi didn't go homesick...:scratch:

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2008, 07:16 PM
They'll be at the Dollar Tree for 50 cents before Halloween, right next to the 'JR Ewing' aftershave lotion and 'Aldo Nova's Greatest Hits' CD's.

Aldo Nova, now there's a name from the past!

"Life is just a fantasy..."

C-Dawg
10-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Aldo Nova, now there's a name from the past!

"Life is just a fantasy..."

Don't forget his other big hit, "Monkey On Your Back".

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
There was someone sitting around Section 356 who hung a toy ghost/gobblin, as well as a blue L flag from the rail at today's Sox game.

GoSox2K3
10-05-2008, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frZZAQRfMYg

kittle42
10-05-2008, 08:34 PM
I know I get a lot of crap here for railing on people who rail on the Cubs, so let me be a hypocrite for a minute...

Do I feel sorry for my actual baseball-knowledgable Cub-fan friends? Sure, a little. I was in New Orleans during games 2 and 3, and despite having an amazing time there, I wished I was back home in Wrigleyville so I could taste the sweet tears of sorrow of the pajama-clad idiots on Clark and Addison. My dislike for the Cubs decreased after 2005, but this year - from the media to the fans to the W flags to the "It's Gonna Happen" crap, I couldn't stand it. Thank goodness it's finally over for another season. Maybe these ****ers won't get so goddamn cocky in the future.

Like the Twins, the Cubs are perpetual losers.

C-Dawg
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM

The Twins though have a couple championships in recent memory; their bad ballpark with its obnoxious fans and their "homer hankies" still give my bad dreams at night.

By the way, no one has brought up another crazy "this is the year" story which was reported by at least one media outlet (and probably others) - during the last off-season, the Cubs ripped out their field and replaced it with one which featured state-of-the-art drainage and all that goes with it, all under the direction of Roger Bossard, who by the way also designed the playing fields of the 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 World Series champions.... So inevitably the Cubs would win it too!! Right!?!

Not.

DickAllen72
10-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Today the White Sox won more playoff games in one evening than the Cubs have won in the past two years. :cool:

JB98
10-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Before I went to the Cell for today's game, I took my daily bike ride around North Aurora. For the first time in six months, I did not see a single "W" flag flying outside of anyone's house. That's a pleasant change.

There are still a few houses that have Sox flags flying proudly, and I imagine those flags will still being flying tomorrow morning after today's victory over the Rays. :D:

guillensdisciple
10-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Before I went to the Cell for today's game, I took my daily bike ride around North Aurora. For the first time in six months, I did not see a single "W" flag flying outside of anyone's house. That's a pleasant change.

There are still a few houses that have Sox flags flying proudly, and I imagine those flags will still being flying tomorrow morning after today's victory over the Rays. :D:

Sox flags should never go down, regardless if we win or lose. Still the W's are no longer to be seen and I am extremely happy.

I am making a new shirt design to mock the 100 years of losing and so far I can't think of anything creative under the letters C, U, B, S.

Help anyone?

SteveFakeBlood
10-06-2008, 01:54 AM
I didn't think it was possible that the 2005 World Series Championship could become even more legendary three years after the fact, but that's what has indirectly happened. Since the Red Sox, White Sox and Cardinals won it last, the Cubs surely must have been entitled to win it on the 100-year anniversary. Wrong. You don't get World Series trophies out of a bubblegum machine.

Exactly. One of my best friends (former roommate actually) is a big Cardinals fan and hence one of my few non-Sox fan friends who understands my hatred for the Cubs and I was telling him the other day that this whole "100 year" thing is ridiculous considering the Red Sox and the Real Sox broke their "curse"s (curses are bull****...) after 86 and 88 years respectively, there's no significance in those numbers really. Only in a magical, non-existent land of unicorns and fairies do things happen with perfectly round numbers.

I can count the number of Cubs fans I know that I feel genuinely bad for on one hand, for the rest of them (many of whom I otherwise respect as people) I can just say "Karma's a bitch". Try waiting until after the season's over or you've actually IN the World Series before being so cocky as to print World Series mementos... you know, like fans of pretty much every other baseball team. EVER.

I'm not sure how popular an opinion it is, but I honestly partly blame the Cubs fanbase for their failures. When Cubbie Nation (and it is a Nation since you don't have to have any connection to the Cubs or Chicago to be a Cubs fan apparently.... ) starts screaming in unison about winning a World Series before the All-star break, you've got to think it damages the team's collective psyche. They simultaneously start believing that their opponents are inferior and become deathly afraid of making any sort of mistake; of course this is speculation since I can't know what players are thinking- but the way they played in the playoffs last year and this year leads me to think there's at least possibly some truth in it.

Honestly, this post is probably some of the kindest, most polite words I have for Cubbie Nation and this rant is already too long. I'm just thrilled that we've wound up having a more successful season than them (you know actually winning a playoff game; hopefully more). As someone said in another thread (sorry not sure who to attribute it to): It couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

~Steve

turners56
10-06-2008, 07:13 AM
I know I get a lot of crap here for railing on people who rail on the Cubs, so let me be a hypocrite for a minute...

Do I feel sorry for my actual baseball-knowledgable Cub-fan friends? Sure, a little. I was in New Orleans during games 2 and 3, and despite having an amazing time there, I wished I was back home in Wrigleyville so I could taste the sweet tears of sorrow of the pajama-clad idiots on Clark and Addison. My dislike for the Cubs decreased after 2005, but this year - from the media to the fans to the W flags to the "It's Gonna Happen" crap, I couldn't stand it. Thank goodness it's finally over for another season. Maybe these ****ers won't get so goddamn cocky in the future.

At least the Twins find ways to win one playoff series once in a while.

WizardsofOzzie
10-06-2008, 09:31 AM
I figured I wouldn't make another thread for this, but it was an amusing little tidbit I found in an article about Soriano's woes at the plate.

"The Cubs returned to Chicago on Sunday, still stinging after being swept by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League Division Series. Before leaving Dodger Stadium, one or more members of the Cubs took a bat to the plumbing near the visiting dugout, creating a flood.

It was the most damage done by Cubs bats all week."

:rolling:

Law11
10-06-2008, 10:39 AM
So sad..

russ99
10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure how popular an opinion it is, but I honestly partly blame the Cubs fanbase for their failures. When Cubbie Nation (and it is a Nation since you don't have to have any connection to the Cubs or Chicago to be a Cubs fan apparently.... ) starts screaming in unison about winning a World Series before the All-star break, you've got to think it damages the team's collective psyche. They simultaneously start believing that their opponents are inferior and become deathly afraid of making any sort of mistake; of course this is speculation since I can't know what players are thinking- but the way they played in the playoffs last year and this year leads me to think there's at least possibly some truth in it.

I think you hit the nail on the head, but unfortunately we won't hear it from a single reporter in town.

Maybe the few Cub fans still on the bandwagon will keep the insanity down next year... God I hope so. :D:

SteveFakeBlood
10-08-2008, 01:57 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head, but unfortunately we won't hear it from a single reporter in town.

Maybe the few Cub fans still on the bandwagon will keep the insanity down next year... God I hope so. :D:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm hoping since it's not the "100th anniversary" it'll be less ridiculous, but Cubs fans never cease to negatively surprise me.

~Steve