PDA

View Full Version : Ok, explain the hate

Bobby Jenks
10-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Did i miss something? I don't get the hate for Grant Balfour. Like i said maybe i missed something.

turners56
10-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Did i miss something? I don't get the hate for Grant Balfour. Like i said maybe i missed something.

I think some hate him cause he's good and he's an ex-Twin. It might also be the fact that some people like OC. :scratch:

Whitesoxfan23
10-04-2008, 05:00 PM
It's because he never shuts up when he pitches. He needs a linedrive to hit him in the back.

Bobby Jenks
10-04-2008, 05:26 PM
It's because he never shuts up when he pitches. He needs a linedrive to hit him in the back.

Are you refering to the play when OC kicked dirt out toward him?

turners56
10-04-2008, 05:34 PM

No, he talks all the time. They had a shot of him talking to himself on the mound yesterday.

Optipessimism
10-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I think it's mostly due to the fact that our hitters can't hit a 95mph straight fastball belt high over the plate in a key situation. If our hitters could do that we'd love Balfour because he'd have helped us win a game or two. The antics get to you more when you're already mad at your own team.

turners56
10-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I think it's mostly due to the fact that our hitters can't hit a 95mph straight fastball belt high over the plate in a key situation. If our hitters could do that we'd love Balfour because he'd have helped us win a game or two. The antics get to you more when you're already mad at your own team.

I find that weird because we're a fast-ball hitting team.

cws05champ
10-04-2008, 06:27 PM
If he changed his name to Kyle Farnsworth we would have rocked him and won both of these two games. :cool:

turners56
10-04-2008, 06:36 PM
If he changed his name to Kyle Farnsworth we would have rocked him and won both of these two games. :cool:
Farnsworth struggles to find the plate. This guy throws strikes.

EuroSox35
10-04-2008, 07:11 PM

There's still confusion on whether Balfour did or said something to him before that, whether he said something to Uribe, or if Cabrera just did that on his own

SoxandtheCityTee
10-04-2008, 07:34 PM
What I heard is that Balfour has a tic of barking out swearwords when he delivers the pitch and/or while he is talking to himself on the mound. It's somewhere a bit beyond between the way tennis players grunt on the explosive hit. Supposedly.

I tried to watch for this last night but when he delivers his face is away from the camera, and then he was holding his glove in front of his face in between pitches. Still, I did see him bark out several bombs.

I saw Cabrera on TV after Game 1 and he essentially said that he didn't know that Balfour swore all the time, so Cabrera misunderstood, now he realizes it was no big deal, etc. I think the dirt kick might've been about the fact that the immediately preceding pitch was in the left-hand hitter's box and O. Cab's thought process was along the lines of "try getting it across the plate before you yell **** at me, ****er." Just a misunderstanding.

That's all I got.:scratch:

soltrain21
10-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I never remember hearing about this when he was on the Twins. Is this a new thing?

PeteWard
10-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Just watch him. He rants and cusses after every pitch. Kind of an Al Hrabosky thing though not exactly.

OC said afterwards he was not aware that he this was his habit and it pissed him off.

Just a regular Aussie bloke I reckon. :gulp:

oeo
10-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I think some hate him cause he's good and he's an ex-Twin. It might also be the fact that some people like OC. :scratch:

Good? Career year at the age of 30 is not good. I remember him on the Twins, he was known as "Ball Four."

OC was not the guy in the wrong. Balfour apparently yells **** at every batter he faces. He was yelling at Uribe which is why OC kicked the dirt. He sounds like a complete jackass.

PatK
10-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Just watch him. He rants and cusses after every pitch. Kind of an Al Hrabosky thing though not exactly.

OC said afterwards he was not aware that he this was his habit and it pissed him off.

Just a regular Aussie bloke I reckon. :gulp:

Yeah, I thought they said it wasn't as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.