PDA

View Full Version : The Rays and their bandwagon is way past ridiculous and I refuse to root for them.

Whitesoxfan23
10-04-2008, 01:50 AM
If the Sox get eliminated, I refuse to root for a team, whose fans are a bunch of ****ing sheep, who don't even know who half of the players on their team are. The Rays may have the biggest joke of a bandwagon that I have ever seen develop so quick in the history of MLB. Alot of their "fans", have gotten very cocky already.

I can't stand the constant lovefest, the media gives this ****ing team, whose fans don't give two squirts of catpiss about them. **** the Rays. If the Sox get eliminated, I hate to say this, but I will even root for Boston, before I will root for this joke of a franchise, who is only good because they sucked ass for 10 years, and got tons of top draft picks.

scarsofthumper
10-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Red Sox.
Cubs.
Angels.
Dodgers.
Yankees.

AND YOU CALL THE RAYS THE WORST BANDWAGON IN BASEBALL???

**** it, i'm done with this board. Too many ****ing idiots.

Whitesoxfan23
10-04-2008, 01:56 AM
I said they had the biggest joke of a bandwagon, that I have seen develop so quickly. At least most people who go to Fenway, know who their players are. The "fans" at the Trop are a joke.

FedEx227
10-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Who cares?

They had nothing to build a fanbase on besides 10 years of ****ty baseball. Can you really blame their fans? Who cares if they are bandwagoners. This is a 10-year old team, you aren't going to have any lifers, or family-founded fans. 10-year old teams are bound to have bandwagoners.

Get over it.

There are probably 5-6 EASILY more bandwagoned MLB franchises.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 02:03 AM
You'd rather the arrogant ****ers of Boston win over Tampa? You're crazy!

Konerko05
10-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Red Sox.
Cubs.
Angels.
Dodgers.
Yankees.

Bye Thumper.

Sox4ever77
10-04-2008, 02:07 AM
You'd rather the arrogant ****ers of Boston win over Tampa? You're crazy!

Yes, anybody who picks those arrogant bastards from Boston over the Rays, is crazy. So what that the Rays have frontrunning fans. At least they have some players you would love to have on your team. Not a bunch of douche bags like papel****er.

Whitesoxfan23
10-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Balfour and Upton aren't douchebags? Oh, Ok.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 02:12 AM
2 douchebags is far less than the 25 that play for Boston.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2008, 02:15 AM
There is NO WAY that I could root for Boston over Tampa. No way.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 02:15 AM
****, I wish the Yankees were in the postseason. Anyone but Boston!

Sox4ever77
10-04-2008, 02:17 AM

If you didn't think OC was a douchebag, then we have no reason to reply to each other's posts.

drewcifer
10-04-2008, 02:19 AM

Wait, I've heard this one... It goes something like:

"26 rings, 26 rings, but we have 26 rings".

That is lesson 1 in Yankee bandwagon school.

<And it hasn't been updated in 8 years>

Whitesoxfan23
10-04-2008, 02:19 AM
I know OC was a douchebag, but so is Balfour.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Wait, I've heard this one... It goes something like:

"26 rings, 26 rings, but we have 26 rings".

That is lesson 1 in Yankee bandwagon school.

<And it hasn't been updated in 8 years>
Yankee fans are MUCH classier than Boston fans. It isn't even close. They don't try to take over visiting stadiums nearly to the degree of Boston fans, and you can actually have a civil discussion with them without feeling like they're thumbing their noses at you. And, tons more of their players are likable anyways. I really like several of the players in pinstripes (Cano, Jeter, Damon, Rivera, Posada, just to name a few). I like exactly ZERO players who play for Boston.
I know OC was a douchebag, but so is Balfour.
Great! We have established ONE player on the Rays who is a potential douchebag. Compare that with the 25 that play for Boston, it isn't even close!

Whitesoxfan23
10-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to have a different opinion than you. My bad.

RadioheadRocks
10-04-2008, 02:36 AM
I think we all know where this thread is going...

Sox4ever77
10-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to have a different opinion than you. My bad.

Dude, relax. She didn't say anything bad. I know everybody is upset that the Sox are down 0-2 but don't take it out on other Sox fans.

Whitesoxfan23
10-04-2008, 02:41 AM
I think their garbage stadium, the cowbells, and everything is making it worse. Oh, and the Whitesox playing like crap.

chaerulez
10-04-2008, 02:54 AM
I don't know if a bunch of locals supporting the newfound success of their hometown team is really bandwagoning. They were bad for a long time and never really built a fanbase. I've seen maybe two Rays hats in my entire life. I'd hardly call that a bandwagon. On the other side, I see Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets and Yankees hats everywhere. I would include Cubs but I live around here. Oh what the hell I bet people wearing Cubs gear is all over the rest of the country. Why should the Rays have a die hard fanbase when they sucked for so long? Good for the people of that area deciding not to support a losing team like that, gave the team incentive to do well. And now they are. And they didn't luck their way into being good by stockpiling draft picks. You still have to make the correct picks and develop players. The Rays drafted horribly in their first five or so years of existance. If just getting good picks meant you become a good team, the Pirates and Royals should also be in the playoffs right now.

Whitesoxfan23
10-04-2008, 02:59 AM
I was referring to the people that go to their games and live in the Tampa area. Not just random people.

drewcifer
10-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Yankee fans are MUCH classier than Boston fans. It isn't even close. They don't try to take over visiting stadiums nearly to the degree of Boston fans, and you can actually have a civil discussion with them without feeling like they're thumbing their noses at you. And, tons more of their players are likable anyways. I really like several of the players in pinstripes (Cano, Jeter, Damon, Rivera, Posada, just to name a few). I like exactly ZERO players who play for Boston.

You can hate Boston all you want and I won't begrudge you. But Damon isn't a real Yankee (never will be), Cano is terribly lost, Jeter is unjustifiably deified, and Posada...well, he can hit for a catcher and on both sides. Really well. But I'd never want him to catch for us.

On the reverse, I'd way rather have Pedroia, Drew, Youkilis, Crisp, any of their starters over any of the Yankees 5, and the entire Boston bullpen and that includes Rivera.

The next time you are having a "civil" conversation with a Yankee fan, ask them to tell you the names of their current rotation. The "fan" will fail more often than not. And if you are watching the Sox play the Yanks, you will ALWAYS get that thumbnosing. I am transplanted here 7 years now and I can tell you it's true.

Lesser of two evils though - yeah, I'd rather sit with the Yankee fans if I had to choose. :tongue:

grv1974
10-04-2008, 03:02 AM

Great! We have established ONE player on the Rays who is a potential douchebag. Compare that with the 25 that play for Boston, it isn't even close!

I don't know. You have to admit Dustin Pedroia is pretty cool.

drewcifer
10-04-2008, 03:07 AM
I don't know if a bunch of locals supporting the newfound success of their hometown team is really bandwagoning. They were bad for a long time and never really built a fanbase. I've seen maybe two Rays hats in my entire life. I'd hardly call that a bandwagon. On the other side, I see Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets and Yankees hats everywhere. I would include Cubs but I live around here. Oh what the hell I bet people wearing Cubs gear is all over the rest of the country. Why should the Rays have a die hard fanbase when they sucked for so long? Good for the people of that area deciding not to support a losing team like that, gave the team incentive to do well. And now they are. And they didn't luck their way into being good by stockpiling draft picks. You still have to make the correct picks and develop players. The Rays drafted horribly in their first five or so years of existance. If just getting good picks meant you become a good team, the Pirates and Royals should also be in the playoffs right now.

I was in Orlando for vacation with my family a couple weeks ago and there were more Rays hats than I've EVER seen at one time besides a Sox game against them. There's a wagon building. And it's natural that it's douchey, considering their season.

They should be salty down there. We were too, when everyone overlooked us and debated "Boston or NY" a few years back. And that was with 99 wins.

grv1974
10-04-2008, 03:08 AM
I think their garbage stadium, the cowbells, and everything is making it worse. Oh, and the Whitesox playing like crap.

I actually kinda like Tropicana Field. It's better than previous domes have been. Plus, as far as the bandwagon thing goes, you have to remember that Florida is a state of transplants. They're just not ever going to have deep roots like Chicago does.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 03:10 AM
You can hate Boston all you want and I won't begrudge you. But Damon isn't a real Yankee (never will be), Cano is terribly lost, Jeter is unjustifiably deified, and Posada...well, he can hit for a catcher and on both sides. Really well. But I'd never want him to catch for us.

On the reverse, I'd way rather have Pedroia, Drew, Youkilis, Crisp, any of their starters over any of the Yankees 5, and the entire Boston bullpen and that includes Rivera.
How a player actually plays has no bearing on how LIKABLE they are.
I don't know. You have to admit Dustin Pedroia is pretty cool.
You're kidding, right? He's #2 on my hate-list behind Papel****er!

grv1974
10-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Nope, not kidding at all. Pedroia's awesome!

drewcifer
10-04-2008, 03:20 AM

And likable.

Fenway
10-04-2008, 03:20 AM
The Trop is not as bad as people make it out to be especially when it is full of fans.

Still hoping the White Sox have another 3 game winning streak in them.

My gut tells me it will be Manny and the Dodgers playing Boston in the World Series. You may not like Boston but how can you root for Manny?

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 03:21 AM

And likable.

:thud:

drewcifer
10-04-2008, 03:23 AM
The Trop is not as bad as people make it out to be especially when it is full of fans.

My gut tells me it will be Manny and the Dodgers playing Boston in the World Series. You may not like Boston but how can you root for Manny?

Easy. Why wouldn't I? He's turned his team around, he's one of the best playoff hitters ever, he's kicking the **** out of the Cubs, and he doesn't wear that ****ty Boston uniform.

Your question should be, how can you NOT root for Manny?

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Tampa's a damn good team who doesn't quit and would give Boston big time fits. Tampa owned Boston at the Trop and even played well at Fenway late in the season. When Tampa was faced with a bit of adversity towards the end of the season, where the divisional race got quite tight, they responded by coming out smelling like roses, like warriors. Do not take them lightly. Look at who has home field advantage as well.

If it came down to Dodgers/Red Sox, it would be so easy to root for the Dodgers, simply because there are still 24 likable guys on that team.

The REAL question is how would Boston fans feel if they were to LOSE to a Manny-led Dodger team?

RadioheadRocks
10-04-2008, 03:24 AM
...You may not like Boston but how can you root for Manny?

For what it's worth, this week was the first time in my life that I've ever cheered for Manny.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Seriously, you have to have been through decades of "Yankee fans" who have lived their entire lives outside of New York, but want to be associated with a team that wins lots of championships, before you can say you'd rather see the Yankees win than the Red Sox. It's really like deciding whether you'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick or a pencil.

I don't want to see either of them win. Ever again.

GoGoCrede
10-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Seriously, you have to have been through decades of "Yankee fans" who have lived their entire lives outside of New York, but want to be associated with a team that wins lots of championships, before you can say you'd rather see the Yankees win than the Red Sox. It's really like deciding whether you'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick or a pencil.

Well said. I can't even count the number of Yankees caps I've seen here in Chicago, and near my parents' houses in Arizona and California.

I respect whatever people choose to be a fan of, but something tells me most of those people couldn't name one pitcher in the Yankees' bullpen. Same goes for Boston. If push came to shove, I'd have to pull for the Rays. Or the Dodgers in the NL.

drewcifer
10-04-2008, 03:31 AM

I read this 3 times and still don't get it.

I totally agree on the last sentence, though.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 03:34 AM
I thought I was the only one who didn't.

drewcifer
10-04-2008, 03:37 AM
I thought I was the only one who didn't.Minnesotans.... pfft.....

Nobody can understand those people. :redneck

GoGoCrede
10-04-2008, 03:37 AM
For what it's worth, this week was the first time in my life that I've ever cheered for Manny.

Me too. I was starting to think he was an okay guy, and then tonight they replayed one of his home runs with the Red Sox, with him hotdogging, waving his arms, watching the ball fly....then I came back to my senses.

drewcifer
10-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Me too. I was starting to think he was an okay guy, and then tonight they replayed one of his home runs with the Red Sox, with him hotdogging, waving his arms, watching the ball fly....then I came back to my senses. He doesn't play for that team anymore. He actually beats out double plays, and stuff, now. Catches deep fly balls... Hits better too.

It's amazing what leaving that place has done for him (and Dodgers).

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 04:10 AM
He doesn't play for that team anymore. He actually beats out double plays, and stuff, now. Catches deep fly balls... Hits better too.

No kidding. If they were to get past the Phillies, I'd be kind of nervous to play them if I were Boston. The Dodgers COULD conceivably take the Red Sox (or ANY other team) down with the way they've been playing since the beginning of September.

GoGoCrede
10-04-2008, 04:19 AM
No kidding. If they were to get past the Phillies, I'd be kind of nervous to play them if I were Boston. The Dodgers COULD conceivably take the Red Sox (or ANY other team) down with the way they've been playing since the beginning of September.

Not to mention how the media and casual fan would lap this story up. A slugger playing his old team? The defending world champions? It's almost as good a story as the Cubs' 100-year anniversary.

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Living in Florida for 15 years I've followed the Rays quite a bit and if they beat us I'm pulling for them to go all the way. I would rather have root canal than pull for the Red Sox.
As far as their fans, how much support do you expect a team that has never won more than 70 games in a year to get. Look at the Royals and Pirates. Look it up and see what we drew in 68,69,70,75,and 76 and a few other down years.
We go up to the Trop to see the Sox at least one game a year and their fans are not sheep and know baseball from many, many years of having spring training and minor league baseball.
As far as the Trop goes, except for the catwalks, its not a bad place to watch a game. Its clean with lots of food choices and if you have 4 people in a car, parking is free and you also get a free program.

cws05champ
10-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Look, I have been at the Trop many times to see the sox. I don't think its a great place, but not bad from just watching the game standpoint. I was at game one and was annoyed by all the bandwagon fans to no end. But I don't see how you can not root for them if they beat us. In my heart of hearts I think they have a better team than us. Doesn't mean we can't beat them...but if we lose to them I'll be rooting for them to win against any other team.

guillensdisciple
10-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Red Sox.
Cubs.
Angels.
Dodgers.
Yankees.

So very... very true!

Can other people say that about us? We don't light it up with fans during the regular season, but come playoff time we go crazy,

Well my excuse for that is that the majority of sox fans are hard working people who ACTUALLY need to work to support themselves *cough cubs fans *cough.

Yes, all those teams you have mentioned have a bunch of sheep for fans, but this is the biggest turn out I have ever seen.... and to come so fast is unexpected.

If any of those ****s are truly getting cocky, we as sox fans have the duty to show them, at home, how it is done.

We are going to cheer those dome pieces of **** out of here. White Sox will finish them.

doublem23
10-04-2008, 11:46 AM

I totally agree on the last sentence, though.

He said the Yankees take the cake, by a wide margin when it comes to bandwagon fans.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2008, 11:47 AM
If the Sox don't make it, I'm rooting for the Phillies (if they make it to the WS). I know Philly fans have a nasty reputation but I visited Philly a couple months ago and the few Phillies fans I met were extremely cool. Besides, no one else really excites me in this, so I might as well pull for them.

Go Phillies! :redneck

downstairs
10-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Winning championships is the way you build a base. Nothing wrong with that. If the White Sox were founded 10 years ago (and there was no other Chicago baseball team)... you're telling me you'd have been a rabid fan from day one?

Assuming they lose 90 games EACH season?

No way.

FedEx227
10-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Winning championships is the way you build a base. Nothing wrong with that. If the White Sox were founded 10 years ago (and there was no other Chicago baseball team)... you're telling me you'd have been a rabid fan from day one?

No way.

Exactly. It's a 10-year old franchise, in a not-so-good baseball city, that has been pathetic for their entire existence. How would they have fans?

turners56
10-04-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm rooting for the Dodgers if the Sox are done. I think a lot of us will too.

WSox597
10-04-2008, 01:08 PM
If the Sox are beaten by Tampa, I'm okay with rooting them on afterwards. They're a young team, and are trying to build a winning tradition.

They haven't been around long enough to form a hate for them.

Anybody but Boston, I'm about **** sick of that team and their fans.

chisoxmike
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM

:shrug:

hi im skot
10-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Red Sox.
Cubs.
Angels.
Dodgers.
Yankees.

Bye.

PatK
10-04-2008, 01:22 PM
He doesn't play for that team anymore. He actually beats out double plays, and stuff, now. Catches deep fly balls... Hits better too.

Is it just me, or does he look like he's lost 25 lbs since he went to the Dodgers?

LoveYourSuit
10-04-2008, 01:24 PM

I can root for him and would welcome him to the Sox with open arms.

If their was a way to make moves on our roster (impossible) to get him here to be our full time DH, I would be so excited.

LoveYourSuit
10-04-2008, 01:25 PM
]Winning championships is the way you build a base[/B]. Nothing wrong with that. If the White Sox were founded 10 years ago (and there was no other Chicago baseball team)... you're telling me you'd have been a rabid fan from day one?

No way.

Unless you are the Flordia Marlins.

manders_01
10-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I interpreted the OP a bit differently (and probably incorrectly). I was thinking he/she meant that Rays fans in little less than a week have become the snotty, know-it-all types a la the BoSox or Scrubs not just that they're rooting for the team. If that's the case, I can see the OP's frustration.

tstrike2000
10-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Fenway's dream series.

tstrike2000
10-04-2008, 02:36 PM

No NY or Boston would be more preferable.

itsnotrequired
10-04-2008, 02:38 PM
The Bears have the most bandwagon fans.

Michstate45
10-04-2008, 02:56 PM
The Rays may have the biggest joke of a bandwagon that I have ever seen develop so quick in the history of MLB. Alot of their "fans", have gotten very cocky already.

They went from worst to first and you are amazed at how quickly the fanbase developed?? :scratch:

Not everyone is a serious sports fan. There are a ton of people who just enjoy rooting for a winner.

As for the "love fest" the media is giving them...it just makes me laugh that everyone ****** about the media loving the Red Sox or the Cubs, but then they actually give some attention to a small market team and people still find a reason to *****

grv1974
10-04-2008, 03:13 PM
They went from worst to first and you are amazed at how quickly the fanbase developed?? :scratch:

Not everyone is a serious sports fan. There are a ton of people who just enjoy rooting for a winner.

As for the "love fest" the media is giving them...it just makes me laugh that everyone ****** about the media loving the Red Sox or the Cubs, but then they actually give some attention to a small market team and people still find a reason to *****

Because then they, themselves, can feel like a winner. It's the reason why so many people root for all these brand name schools during college football and basketball seasons (even when it's not their own alma maters).

Frankfan4life
10-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Living in Florida for 15 years I've followed the Rays quite a bit and if they beat us I'm pulling for them to go all the way. I would rather have root canal than pull for the Red Sox.
As far as their fans, how much support do you expect a team that has never won more than 70 games in a year to get. Look at the Royals and Pirates. Look it up and see what we drew in 68,69,70,75,and 76 and a few other down years.
We go up to the Trop to see the Sox at least one game a year and their fans are not sheep and know baseball from many, many years of having spring training and minor league baseball.
As far as the Trop goes, except for the catwalks, its not a bad place to watch a game. Its clean with lots of food choices and if you have 4 people in a car, parking is free and you also get a free program.Great post. My family lives in St. Pete and I went to the four-game Sox/Rays series this year (from now on I'm going to make this an annual event). I was impressed. It was an interesting ballpark (dome) with good food and lots of entertainment. Even though the fans don't pack the place, the fans who do show up are always into the game. Rooting for any team that beats the Sox will be hard but if the Rays do prevail, I hope they win the World Series for these two reasons: 1) I want a small market team to win it, and 2) I want the AL to retain the trophy.

Red Barchetta
10-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Great post. My family lives in St. Pete and I went to the four-game Sox/Rays series this year (from now on I'm going to make this an annual event). I was impressed. It was an interesting ballpark (dome) with good food and lots of entertainment. Even though the fans don't pack the place, the fans who do show up are always into the game. Rooting for any team that beats the Sox will be hard but if the Rays do prevail, I hope they win the World Series for these two reasons: 1) I want a small market team to win it, and 2) I want the AL to retain the trophy.

Since moving to Sarasota in 2005 (Yeah, I know - great timing), I have gone to most of the SOX games in the Trop as well as few others each season. Even this year with the Rays in first place most of the season, they averaged around 20,000 fans per game with a lot of empty seats. Even during this division series, they had seats in the upper deck closed with canvas over them. Apparently the site line is obstructed by the lighting catwalk.

Anyway, even after both losses, my friend and I ventured into the local party bar Ferg's which is next to the Trop. Most of the fans were pretty cool, however we got a few " *!ck the Sox" comments as well as the typical "Hey hey hey, Good bye" chant as we were leaving. :tongue:

I got into the same discussion with a few Rays fans as I feel that many of the "fans" have just ran out this week and bought their Rays gear at Sports Authority in time for the playoffs. Heck, I've been to 15 Rays games this season which is probably a lot more than their average "fan".

However, realizing that they play in a horrible sterile dome and haven't had much to root for the last 10 years, it's understandable that people are joining now to enjoy the party atmosphere.

They have a good young team that is hungry to win. They simply outplayed us the first two games and we left wayyyyy too many runners on base and failed to get the key hits. It's not over and I'm hoping to watch one more game there this season...:smile:

MiamiSpartan
10-06-2008, 11:05 PM
It is also a very young team, only having been around for 10 years. Hard to develop a really strong fan base is a short time with crappy teams in a city where most of the people living there came from other cities and have already been long time fans of other teams....
Frankly, I'm pulling for them now....
Nice to see some new blood in there, and they play a really exciting brand of baseball...

mccoydp
10-06-2008, 11:08 PM
The Rays havew my rooting interest this postseason. They outplayed the White Sox and look pretty dangerous going into the ALCS. I think they match up well against either the Blow Sawx or the LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

DSpivack
10-06-2008, 11:10 PM
The Rays havew my rooting interest this postseason. They outplayed the White Sox and look pretty dangerous going into the ALCS. I think they match up well against either the Blow Sawx or the LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Thank you. I won't ever be on their bandwagon or wear any of their gear or any such silliness, but they aren't the Angels and they sure as hell aren't the Red Sawx, so I'll be rooting for them in the ALCS. As for the World Series, if they make it, I might root for LA or Philly.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I have nothing against the Halos. If they can get past the Red Sox, I'll be rooting for them in the ALCS; however, I am pulling for Philly to win it all.

BleacherBandit
10-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I already hate way too many teams in Major League Baseball.

I don't think I can add the Rays to that list just yet, I'm not that pessimistic.

Look at the Rays like the little engine that could, and will eventually steamroll you...

kevingrt
10-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Well I don't want to root for the Saux. So I guess I am stuck with the Rays.

I'd rather have Philly win it all. I love Hamels, Utley, and Charlie Manuel deserves some love. Especially after some of the crap he has gotten over the years year.

And wouldn't it be nice once to see Lidge succeed in a pressure playoff situation?

Tragg
10-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Some of the radio guys down here are on that bandwagon. I'm sick of it too.

mccoydp
10-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I have nothing against the Halos. If they can get past the Red Sox, I'll be rooting for them in the ALCS; however, I am pulling for Philly to win it all.

K-Rod spoils the Angels for me, but I guess we won't have to worry about them for the rest of this season.

Looks like some good baseball coming up in the weeks ahead.

chisoxfanatic
10-06-2008, 11:47 PM
The big thing the Rays have going for themselves: Home field advantage. I think that will be HUGE for them.

Parrothead
10-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Count me in on the Rays rooting list. I am not going out to buy Rays stuff but I will be pulling for them. It is hard, for me, not to root for a team with a 46 million dollar payroll against all the big salaries left. Plus, I like how the team is constructed. I prefer a big ballpark (wish our park played big-too bad they can't move the fences back) with a bunch of fast guys, like the Cardinals of the 80's.

Whitesoxfan23
10-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Screw the Rays, and Screw their bandwagon. I'm not going to be a part of it. I want the Dodgers to win. I really don't see how you guys can root for the Rays over the Dodgers, but everyone has their own opinion. The Dodgers honestly remind me alot of the 2005 White Sox. I am behind the Dodgers all the way. I'm not going to root for any team with the likes of Grant Balfour, BJ Upton, and Carlos Pena. Not gonna happen.

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2008, 01:48 AM
I am behind the Dodgers all the way. I'm not going to root for any team with the likes of Grant Balfour, BJ Upton, and Carlos Pena. Not gonna happen.But you can root for the likes of Manny "I'll refuse to provide services for the $20M I'm being paid, so that I can be released from my option and get more" Ramirez?

PaleHoser
10-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Is it just me, or does he look like he's lost 25 lbs since he went to the Dodgers?

It's probably because he cut his hair.

Boston gave him away, and as much as I can't stand Manny Ramirez wouldn't it be sweet to see the Dodgers win the trophy in a Game 6 or 7 in Boston?

I'd still like to see Tampa win it all. They remind me alot of the 1990 White Sox - young, hungry, got-good-really quickly. I'd love to have seen that team in the playoffs.

kraut83
10-07-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm puling for a Rays/Dodgers WS. TB has built their franchise the right way, and should be proud of where they are today.

Hopefully this year will help continue to make the AL East more competitive, and ease up on the overload of the NY/Boston BS every year.

Irishsox1
10-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm rooting for the Rays. First, that would mean no Boston which is always a good thing and second it would be another team to come into the league within the last 20 years that would win a World Series before the Cubs. However, if the Rays turn into some dynasty, it won't take long for me to turn against them.

SpiderJames
10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
You all need to realize this is a team with nothing, The Bucs are terrible at football, The Lightning are awful at Hockey. So were speaking of a town where the sports are highly mediocre and appreciated by only the diehards. The Rays went from a 95 loss team every year to a 97 win team, and because play so well at home, everyone who doesnt care about baseball and sees them play will like them. Of course there will be bandwagoners. No one cared about Boston until 04. No one cared about USC until Lineart and Bush. No one cared about. No one cared about the Penguins until Crosby. Any team will have fans that like them because they succeed. Thats just my opinion. no flame.

drewcifer
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
You all need to realize this is a team with nothing, The Bucs are terrible at football, The Lightning are awful at Hockey. So were speaking of a town where the sports are highly mediocre and appreciated by only the diehards. The Rays went from a 95 loss team every year to a 97 win team, and because play so well at home, everyone who doesnt care about baseball and sees them play will like them. Of course there will be bandwagoners. No one cared about Boston until 04. No one cared about USC until Lineart and Bush. No one cared about. No one cared about the Penguins until Crosby. Any team will have fans that like them because they succeed. Thats just my opinion. no flame.

Wow.

cleanwsox
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
You all need to realize this is a team with nothing, The Bucs are terrible at football, The Lightning are awful at Hockey.

Each of those teams have won a championship this decade. I'd say they have plenty to cheer about.

gn2727
10-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Id root for the Rays. They are only 10 years old as others have pointed out. Therefore their fanbase is very small, and considering how bad they had been up to this point it was inevitable that there was gonna be bandwagon fans jumping on.

I dont deny that Balfour is a douche, but a douche youd want on your team if he continues to pitch like that. Remember we all said the same thing about AJ before he came here. I also remember that Torii Hunter was gonna be given a pass if he came here as well...........

Just deal with it. It could be worse, like the bankwagon for the Red Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Patriots, etc.......

you get the point........

Nellie_Fox
10-09-2008, 03:12 PM
No one cared about Boston until 04. No one cared about USC until Lineart and Bush. No one cared about. No one cared about the Penguins until Crosby. Any team will have fans that like them because they succeed. Thats just my opinion. no flame.Nice hyperbole. Lots of people cared about those teams prior to the times you state. Lots. Does your memory precede this century?

Ever hear of Ted Williams? Carl Yastrzremski?

Ever hear of John McKay or John Robinson? O.J. Simpson? Marcus Allen? Ricky Bell? Mike Garrett?

Ever hear of Mario Lemieux?

hi im skot
10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Nice hyperbole. Lots of people cared about those teams prior to the times you state. Lots. Does your memory precede this century?

Ever hear of Ted Williams? Carl Yastrzremski?

Ever hear of John McKay or John Robinson? O.J. Simpson? Marcus Allen? Ricky Bell? Mike Garrett?

Ever hear of Mario Lemieux?

You're such a name-dropper, Nellie.
:redneck

mrfourni
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm rooting for Dodgers/Red Sox. That way Manny can get both the winner and losers share of the world series money.

kittle42
10-09-2008, 05:04 PM

Do you suffer from amnesia?

Whitesoxfan23
10-09-2008, 06:56 PM
So if the Redsox win, does Manny get a world series ring? :scratch:

MHOUSE
10-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I would much rather Boston win again than the Rays. I hate most Red Sox fans, but I really do like their team, especially sans-Manny. I think Youk is a class act and Beckett has been one of my favorites since he owned the Yankees in 2003. Ellsbury and Lowrie are studs and fun to watch. That said, I'm pulling for the Phillies anyways now that the Brewers are done.

SteveFakeBlood
10-10-2008, 03:56 AM
Rays fanbase is lame, but I'm rooting for them anyway. Not really enough to even bother doing more than watching bits and pieces of the game on my computer and reading the wrap-ups and box scores, but I hope they win it.

I've only been in Florida two months in one city, but so far my experience has been everyone in Florida who actually gives a **** about baseball either grew up somewhere else or is currently playing in the major leagues (and there are actually a lot of Floridians playing in the major leagues). Only a slight exaggeration. Still I fault people a lot less for being bandwagon jumpers in the case of the Rays than for the Red Sox. Interesting how when I went to Sox-Red Sox games in the mid-90s I could count the number of Red Sox fans on my fingers and in 2007 they were suddenly everywhere drowning us out in our own park. **** them.

It's just nice to see someone who's not the Yankees or Red Sox win the AL East- and especially nice when it's a team who's 29th in the majors in payroll battling the ogres and bullies of baseball (over the last few years the Yankees and Red Sox have seemed to have a habit of starting brawls with the Rays). An aside about Tampa fans, I disagree with the statement about the Bucs- the Bucs still definitely have fans around here, just as the Dolphins still do- a lot of people up in the North of the state care more about UF or FSU; but it's just a football state in general. It is the South after all).

Other than that, I'd root for the Phillies as their fan base has suffered in a way similar to us, losing outside of the media spotlight without all the weepy, sanctimonious puff pieces in magazines, newspapers and TV about how their fan base were such loyal, incredible, saintly human beings that defined the 1998-2004 Red Sox and the Cubs for basically my entire lifetime.

If you want to talk about Tampa being bandwagon fans; let's not even talk about the Dodgers. Sure they've got some decent fans, but still they have Manny "I can't be bothered to field or run" Ramirez and you do realize they're based in LA, right? Home of some of the fakest bandwagon jumping fans there are in all pro sports, not to mention all "the-look-at-me-I'm-a-celebrity-at-a-ballgame" types. It's the second biggest city in the country and it's incapable of supporting an NFL team. That's how good of fans they have in LA. ****ing pathetic.

~Steve

SOXPHILE
10-10-2008, 09:45 AM

I don't like those teams either, but you do realize that:

-The Penguins won back to back Stanley Cups in 1991-1992, sweeping the Blackhawks for the second one. Do you know # 66 was ?

-The Red Sox have been a pretty popular team long before 2004. I've heard people waxing poetic about 1967, and calling the '75 series one of the greatest ever. Fisk trying to will his game 6 homerun fair is one of the more famous images in baseball. For as long as I can remember, the Red Sox were featured & hyped in media and literature. It's just that ESPN has taken it to a ridiculous level.

-As I am not currently a student, nor parent of a student at a college, I don't care about college athletics. But I do know that USC has always been one of the most popular programs in the NCAA. I've seen stories about USC and their games dating back to the 1930's. As someone else mentioned, you do know that Nordberg guy from the Naked Gun movies is famous for other things too, right ?

I'm sick of it. Nobody cared about the Dodgers 'till Manny got there. Nobody cared about the Cardinals until Pujols. If it wasn't for Favre and Urlacher, the Packers and Bears would never have meant anything. Nobody even heard of the Lakers or Celtics until Kobe and Paul Pierce. Now everybody loves them. If the Montreal Canadiens didn't get a new stadium several years ago, they would have folded and been forgotten by now. Who the heck are they anyway ?

SpiderJames
10-10-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't like those teams either, but you do realize that:

-The Penguins won back to back Stanley Cups in 1991-1992, sweeping the Blackhawks for the second one. Do you know # 66 was ?

-The Red Sox have been a pretty popular team long before 2004. I've heard people waxing poetic about 1967, and calling the '75 series one of the greatest ever. Fisk trying to will his game 6 homerun fair is one of the more famous images in baseball. For as long as I can remember, the Red Sox were featured & hyped in media and literature. It's just that ESPN has taken it to a ridiculous level.

-As I am not currently a student, nor parent of a student at a college, I don't care about college athletics. But I do know that USC has always been one of the most popular programs in the NCAA. I've seen stories about USC and their games dating back to the 1930's. As someone else mentioned, you do know that Nordberg guy from the Naked Gun movies is famous for other things too, right ?

I'm sick of it. Nobody cared about the Dodgers 'till Manny got there. Nobody cared about the Cardinals until Pujols. If it wasn't for Favre and Urlacher, the Packers and Bears would never have meant anything. Nobody even heard of the Lakers or Celtics until Kobe and Paul Pierce. Now everybody loves them. If the Montreal Canadiens didn't get a new stadium several years ago, they would have folded and been forgotten by now. Who the heck are they anyway ?
thanks for the comment and the spam, but growing up in the 90s is where I started to learn all about sports. And obviously I did not know about the 1975 world series, nor do I know about about USC academic program starting in 1930. The point was that all the mainstream teams right now are obviously going to have bandwagon fans, its human nature. The obvious mainstream teams right now are the Patriots, Red Sox, Red Wings, Celtics, and Rays. But the Rays are no one to blame, if they do win the series, it will go down as one of best turn around teams ever. And with Joe Maddon getting the praise of a God like manager for having one good season and never having a losing season before that. Every other team I stated has a winning background and especially most of the Boston teams stated because not only did they all win or compete for championships in the past year, but ESPN absolutely gives them too much coverage and too much credit, especially the Red Sox. The top 10 plays for this year in baseball according to SportsCenter, Boston clinching the wild card was #1, was it really that exciting?

The whole point of this is that mainstream teams are popular, which makes a team mainstream, and the Rays are no exception and people should not be mad because they are acting like total hot heads because there team is doing really well right now.

PatK
10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.fryingpantower.com/articles/images/Trolling%20Profile.jpg

hellview
10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
who is only good because they sucked ass for 10 years, and got tons of top draft picks.

1B-Minor League Invite
2B-Cheap Free Agent Signing
SS-Trade with Twins
3B-Top 3 pick
LF-2nd round pick so everyone had a chance at Crawford
CF-Top 3 pick
RF-Scrap heap pick up
DH-Cliff Floyd/Baldelli

Kazmir-Greatest trade this side of Liriano, Nathan for AJ
Garza-Great trade with Twins
Shields-16th round pick
Sonnanstine-13th round pick
Price-Top pick

No one from their bullpen is even from their organization. They were all smart trade and waiver wire pick ups.

So it really comes down to Price, Upton and Longoria were top picks that are really helping this team. And if it's that easy why hasn't it worked for KC and the Pirates.

guillensdisciple
10-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I am definitely not going to root for the Red Sox, but in the world series I am sticking to the national league. I just don't want to hear those ****ing cow bells anymore. What a pest! I am cool with the towels and even thundersticks, but damn those cow bells are without a doubt the most annoying thing I have ever heard.

My favorite is the fact that Rays fans were told when to use them because they really had no idea of what was going on.

Besides the point, next year, even if the rays win- there will be an increase in fans but it will still be half full regardless. Just not a baseball place, they don't care.

Oblong
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
1B-Minor League Invite
SS-Trade with Twins
3B-Top 3 pick
CF-Top 3 pick
RF-Scrap heap pick up
DH-Cliff Floyd/Baldelli

Shields-16th round pick
Price-Top pick

No one from their bullpen is even from their organization. They were all smart trade and waiver wire pick ups.

So it really comes down to Price, Upton and Longoria were top picks that are really helping this team. And if it's that easy why hasn't it worked for KC and the Pirates.

You've obviously done your homework. In those trades who was it that they traded? Were they highly regarded prospects?

palehozenychicty
10-10-2008, 01:57 PM
1B-Minor League Invite
SS-Trade with Twins
3B-Top 3 pick
CF-Top 3 pick
RF-Scrap heap pick up
DH-Cliff Floyd/Baldelli

Shields-16th round pick
Price-Top pick

Exactly. Anybody saying that their years of haplessness were why they prospered are ig'nant. It started to change with Sternberg and Friedman. They had some pieces from Lamar, but they revamped the philosophy. That's how it always works in any sport. When the management is on the same page, good results follow.

jabrch
10-10-2008, 04:10 PM
You may not like Boston but how can you root for Manny?

Against Boston? Easy.

Hell - short of Osama Bin Laden, I'd root for nearly anyone before I'd cheer for Boston.

hellview
10-10-2008, 04:47 PM
You've obviously done your homework. In those trades who was it that they traded? Were they highly regarded prospects?

Lets see:

Garza and Barlett were brought in cause of Delmon Young who was in the top pick in the draft. But IMO this was a top prospect for prospect trade as both Young and Garza were highly regarded players coming outta the minors.

Victor Zambrano was used to get Kazmir so no highly regarded player was used to get Kazmir.

Percival-Free Agent
Grant Balfour-Traded for Seth McClug was wasn't a top prospect
Dan Wheeler-Traded for Ty Wiggington who wasn't a top prospect
Chad Bradford-Traded not completed but I don't see a top prospect changing hands in this trade.
Traver Miller-Minor League Contract
JP Howell-Moved for Joey Gathwright (who was once highly regarded, but was trash when he was moved) and someone random utility infielder.
Jason Hammel-10th round pick by TB

Not the closest move was Garza for Young. But I think it's a wash as both Young and Garza were top prospects going into 2007.

TDog
10-11-2008, 04:04 PM
LF-2nd round pick so everyone had a chance at Crawford. ...

The Rays had the first overall pick and chose Josh Hamilton, which didn't work out for them. The Marlins used the second overall pick to choose Josh Beckett. The Twins, known for their high picks in those years to combine with great scouting and player development, selected outfielder B.J. Garbe with the No. 5 overall pick. He was a high school outfielder like Crawford, who seemed to have more potential. The White Sox were slecting pitchers that year. Ben Sheets, Barry Zito and Brett Myers having already gone, the Sox used two picks in the first round to pick up Jason Stumm and Matt Ginter. The Royals selected Mike MacDougal, and the Cubs took Ben Christensen.

It's always easier to criticize a draft nine years later. Imagine how good a draft would be if teams could draft with a decade of hindsight.

I think people overrate Carl Crawford around here anyway.

I visited this thread, though, to observe that it is ironic that after beating the White Sox in the ALDS, the Rays looked like what many would characterize as the White Sox in their first game against the Red Sox. They got strong starting pitching. Their manager left the starter in too long, and the bullpen allowed an inherited runner to score. The offense had their chances and failed to capitalize.

captainclutch24
10-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I do remember back in 2005 when a certain southside teams fans were not showing up to ballgames until late that season. I garuntee you a lot of those fans didnt know anyone on the Sox but Buerhle, and Paulie

FielderJones
10-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I do remember back in 2005 when a certain southside teams fans were not showing up to ballgames until late that season. I garuntee you a lot of those fans didnt know anyone on the Sox but Buerhle, and Paulie

I guarantee they didn't know how to spell Buehrle either. :tongue:

pierzynski07
10-12-2008, 12:00 AM
We're a team that insults "that other team" for caring more about attendance than winning. Sox fans, on the other hand, only go to games when a competitive, winning team is playing. That's what makes us great.

The Rays had a crappy team for so many years, and the fans rightfully stayed away from the games. Now their team is doing great, and the fans are finally showing up, but you're complaining about it? :scratch:

thomas35forever
10-12-2008, 12:04 AM
We're a team that insults "that other team" for caring more about attendance than winning. Sox fans, on the other hand, only go to games when a competitive, winning team is playing. That's what makes us great.

The Rays had a crappy team for so many years, and the fans rightfully stayed away from the games. Now their team is doing great, and the fans are finally showing up, but you're complaining about it? :scratch:
The problem is the fans didn't even show up until the playoffs. The Rays even had trouble selling postseason packages. Why do you think some of those seats are tarped off?

pierzynski07
10-12-2008, 12:07 AM
The problem is the fans didn't even show up until the playoffs. The Rays even had trouble selling postseason packages. Why do you think some of those seats are tarped off?
I thought the games were sold out. They weren't?

thomas35forever
10-12-2008, 12:08 AM
I don't know about that. I'm the wrong guy to ask. I'm just saying the sellouts didn't happen until October came around.

Max Power
10-12-2008, 10:22 AM

The playoff games are sold out. The Rays reduced the Trop's capacity by tarping off seats at the top of the upper deck during the regular season and continued to do that in the playoffs, but said the tarps would be removed for World Series games. Oakland does the same thing.

pierzynski07
10-12-2008, 11:35 AM
The playoff games are sold out. The Rays reduced the Trop's capacity by tarping off seats at the top of the upper deck during the regular season and continued to do that in the playoffs, but said the tarps would be removed for World Series games. Oakland does the same thing.
We're talking about the first ever playoff games in Tampa. For games that could legitimatly sell out every seat, what was their reason for the tarp?

FedEx227
10-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Yeah I see no problem with it. Especially when you're talking about an expansion team 10 years in with absolutely zero redeeming values including a garbage stadium in a bad location. Of course nobody would come out. I don't blame them one bit.

Jurr
10-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Funny story:
A group of about 10 guys (40-50 years old) were walking by the churros stand at the Cell during game 3, all wearing brand spanking new Rays gear. Some clown yells at 'em, "Good to see you threw away your Yankees gear and started supporting your hometown team!"

Classy, no. Funny, yes.

Red Barchetta
10-13-2008, 04:48 PM
We're talking about the first ever playoff games in Tampa. For games that could legitimatly sell out every seat, what was their reason for the tarp?

The seats near the top of the upper deck are obstructed by the lighting scaffolds so that's why they have tarp on them. I read they might open them up for a World Series however.

captainclutch24
10-13-2008, 06:33 PM
The seats near the top of the upper deck are obstructed by the lighting scaffolds so that's why they have tarp on them. I read they might open them up for a World Series however.
Good thing there is no series coming to Petco. Unless your seats are right behind homeplate or are along the left field foul line you probably have some sort of obstructed view. Left field bleachers seats can't see 20 feet in front of the left field wall from the corner to dead center field. Right field seats past 1st base can't see into the right field corner. It was designed really badly.

PennStater98r
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Red Sox.
Cubs.
Angels.
Dodgers.
Yankees.

First post that I read by you dude, but don't let the door hit you on the ass the way out please.

Buh-bye.

Max Power
10-15-2008, 11:14 AM
The tarps have been removed for all remaining playoff games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3644302

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I've got no problem supporting the Rays. I consider myself a baseball fan, not just a Sox fan, and although I won't necessarily watch all the games, I will at least follow what's going on. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon; I didn't root for them in the regular season, and I won't next year either, but I don't see any problem with picking a team to cheer for in the playoffs. Besides, they play exciting baseball and bring a breath of fresh air to the post-season.

TDog
10-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't like the Rays, but it appears to be their year. The team that beat the White Sox (although two of the games the White Sox lost looked winable for them) appear to be headed to the World Series after winning a game they could have lost against the Red Sox. I don't care if the Phillies beat them (although some would find junior high school bragging rights in the White Sox losing to the team that win the World Series while the Cubs lost to the team that lost to the team that loses the World Series). I don't believe the Rays will look as good next year as they do right now, but right now they are playing great baseball.

I don't particularly like the Red Sox, either.

Who I support will have nothing to do with the outcome.

palehozenychicty
10-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't like the Rays, but it appears to be their year. The team that beat the White Sox (although two of the games the White Sox lost looked winable for them) appear to be headed to the World Series after winning a game they could have lost against the Red Sox. I don't care if the Phillies beat them (although some would find junior high school bragging rights in the White Sox losing to the team that win the World Series while the Cubs lost to the team that lost to the team that loses the World Series). I don't believe the Rays will look as good next year as they do right now, but right now they are playing great baseball.

I don't particularly like the Red Sox, either.

Who I support will have nothing to do with the outcome.

Why are you so convinced of that? They may slip a little bit in the bullpen and rotation due to the length of the postseason, but their position players have played well for the last two-three years. They also have a couple young pitchers marinating in their system beyond Price, such as Jeff Niemann. They'll be a good team next year. Of course, it's a lot tougher being the hunted than the hunter, but who knows these days in MLB?

FedEx227
10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, 3 of their 4 best minor league pitchers haven't even come up yet. Neimann, McGee and Davis. They'll be just as good next year in my mind and still compete for the division/wild card because the Yankees need a total overhaul.

Boondock Saint
10-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't get how some people can be so hard on the Rays. 97-65 in the regular season, 2nd best record in the AL. They beat the Sox 3-1. They're schooling the reigning World Series champs. They're well on their way to the World Series, and they've still got young stud pitchers waiting to come up next year. But there's still people out there that can't give a team credit when it's due.

This team isn't going away any time soon, and they're only getting better.

thegooch
10-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, 3 of their 4 best minor league pitchers haven't even come up yet. Neimann, McGee and Davis. They'll be just as good next year in my mind and still compete for the division/wild card because the Yankees need a total overhaul.

Don't forget Price. He's gonna be money.

TDog
10-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Why are you so convinced of that? They may slip a little bit in the bullpen and rotation due to the length of the postseason, but their position players have played well for the last two-three years. They also have a couple young pitchers marinating in their system beyond Price, such as Jeff Niemann. They'll be a good team next year. Of course, it's a lot tougher being the hunted than the hunter, but who knows these days in MLB?

I'm convinced that the worst time to judge how good teams will be in one season is during the previous postseason. I could be wrong, of course, but it would be a safer bet to pick the Rays to have a down year next year.

For one thing, pitching is a very fragile commodity. It wouldn't take much of a drop off in their bullpen to devestate the Rays' pitching staff. It is difficult to maintain a quality bullpen for a season. It is more difficult to maintain a quality bullpen for consecutive seasons. Relievers who are unhittable one year get shelled the next.

If the Rays played in a division with few competitve teams -- the West, for example -- their chances would be brighter. It's a long season. A lot of things had to go right for the Rays to win this year. They weren't hurt much by losing Longoria to injury because Aybar performed so well in his place. They weren't hurt by losing Crawford to injury because Crawford wasn't that much of a contributor to their success when he was healthy. As it was, the White Sox weren't that far from beating the Rays in the ALDS.

The margin between being a great baseball team and a very good baseball team is slight, and even a great baseball team can be beaten badly by a team that rarely wins. It is only natural for people to gush about the future of a young winning team like the Rays. But winning isn't easy. Winning next year will be less easy.

drewcifer
10-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm convinced that the worst time to judge how good teams will be in one season is during the previous postseason. I could be wrong, of course, but it would be a safer bet to pick the Rays to have a down year next year.

For one thing, pitching is a very fragile commodity. It wouldn't take much of a drop off in their bullpen to devestate the Rays' pitching staff. It is difficult to maintain a quality bullpen for a season. It is more difficult to maintain a quality bullpen for consecutive seasons. Relievers who are unhittable one year get shelled the next.

If the Rays played in a division with few competitve teams -- the West, for example -- their chances would be brighter. It's a long season. A lot of things had to go right for the Rays to win this year. They weren't hurt much by losing Longoria to injury because Aybar performed so well in his place. They weren't hurt by losing Crawford to injury because Crawford wasn't that much of a contributor to their success when he was healthy. As it was, the White Sox weren't that far from beating the Rays in the ALDS.

The margin between being a great baseball team and a very good baseball team is slight, and even a great baseball team can be beaten badly by a team that rarely wins. It is only natural for people to gush about the future of a young winning team like the Rays. But winning isn't easy. Winning next year will be less easy.

Next year is one year closer for all these "stars" to leave Tampa Bay too.

There's no $ there, there's no franchise. Marlins re-incarnate. In a year or 2, there will be a giant firesale and the Rays will be what they've been for the last 10 years again.

cub killer
10-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Next year is one year closer for all these "stars" to leave Tampa Bay too.

There's no $ there, there's no franchise. Marlins re-incarnate. In a year or 2, there will be a giant firesale and the Rays will be what they've been for the last 10 years again.

That **** saddens me everytime. 97 and 03 Marlins broke up so quick. Expos never got to keep their stars. Something's gotta be done about that, it's bad for the game.

kittle42
10-16-2008, 10:30 PM
That **** saddens me everytime. 97 and 03 Marlins broke up so quick. Expos never got to keep their stars. Something's gotta be done about that, it's bad for the game.

Salary cap. It's done wonders for the NFL. Not so much for the NBA.

drewcifer
10-16-2008, 10:32 PM

I was just typing almost the same thing, but saw you beat me on the preview of my post.

Yes - A cap is the only way.

DSpivack
10-16-2008, 10:41 PM

I was just typing almost the same thing, but saw you beat me on the preview of my post.

Yes - A cap is the only way.

Two completely ways of doing caps, though. NFL has a hard team cap and a soft cap on players salaries; NBA has a soft team cap and a hard cap on player salaries.

TDog
10-16-2008, 11:08 PM

I find the NBA and NFl unwatchable so I wouldn't know how many wonders it has done for those leagues. One would think that baseball not having a salary cap, allowing more earning potential for players, would inspire more young athletes to go into baseball. The fact that baseball is a more difficult sport to be successful at, however, doesn't make it easy money.

Arguing for a baseball salary cap is pointless. Getting one in place would require a work stoppage that would last more than a full season. The fact that the Rays are one the verge of going to the World Series with such a low payroll shows that a salary cap is unnecessary.

Frankly, I would love to see the NFL and NBA players on principle demand an end to their salary caps, but that isn't going to happen in sports where going on strike could end the careers of most of the strikers.

SoxFan1979
10-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Sue me I'm pulling for the Red Sox.

DSpivack
10-17-2008, 12:26 AM
I find the NBA and NFl unwatchable so I wouldn't know how many wonders it has done for those leagues. One would think that baseball not having a salary cap, allowing more earning potential for players, would inspire more young athletes to go into baseball. The fact that baseball is a more difficult sport to be successful at, however, doesn't make it easy money.

Arguing for a baseball salary cap is pointless. Getting one in place would require a work stoppage that would last more than a full season. The fact that the Rays are one the verge of going to the World Series with such a low payroll shows that a salary cap is unnecessary.

Frankly, I would love to see the NFL and NBA players on principle demand an end to their salary caps, but that isn't going to happen in sports where
going on strike could end the careers of most of the strikers.

It might very well happen in a few years. NFL labor deal is up after next year [I think, it might 2010], and supposedly things could get nasty.

guillensdisciple
10-17-2008, 12:48 AM
How the hell did rays fans get into the stadium?

chisoxfanatic
10-17-2008, 12:51 AM
How the hell did rays fans get into the stadium?
You never know which team the person who purchases tickets from you on sites such as Stub Hub is backing.

drewcifer
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
The fact that the Rays are one the verge of going to the World Series with such a low payroll shows that a salary cap is unnecessary.

The point wasn't that you need a CAP to get to (or win) championships.

The point was that it would help teams that do stay together longer.

TDog
10-17-2008, 11:45 AM
The point wasn't that you need a CAP to get to (or win) championships.

The point was that it would help teams that do stay together longer.

A salary cap wouldn't have kept the 2005 White Sox together. Had the 2005 White Sox stayed together, I doubt the 2008 White Sox would have won any ALDS games. Keeping teams together wouldn't guarantee perpetual winners. Keeping the 2008 Rays together wouldn't guarantee they will ever finish first again.

There was more player movement before free agency, when players were paid so little that a salary cap would have been irrelevent, than there is today.

The Rays are having a great season. They had a lousy finish to Thursday night, but they have had a great season. That is all that really matters right now.

palehozenychicty
10-17-2008, 12:07 PM

Frankly, I would love to see the NFL and NBA players on principle demand an end to their salary caps, but that isn't going to happen in sports where going on strike could end the careers of most of the strikers.

You hit the nail on the head. You also put in socioeconomic factors that further shrink the pool of young athletes in America that choose the game and the answer is twofold.

palehozenychicty
10-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Well yeah, simply due to the fact that they haven't sustained a consistent level of excellence. Hell, the Rockies experienced a dropoff this year with injuries, defections, and so forth. I'd bet that with a couple quality pitching additions, however, you'll see a much better effort from them next year if they stay healthy. The core of their team is young, under stable contracts, and experienced postseason success. Any team can have it all fall in place and win a title one season. It's learning to achieve sustained excellence like the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, Lakers, Spurs et al. that is difficult. The White Sox have a strong management tree to do this in Ozzie, KW, and Jerry, and so far, they are on the right track.

Eddo144
10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
A salary cap wouldn't have kept the 2005 White Sox together. Had the 2005 White Sox stayed together, I doubt the 2008 White Sox would have won any ALDS games.
The 2005 White Sox weren't broken up due to payroll at all, so your example is irrelevant. Not a single player from that team left because they were offered more money elsewhere. In fact, the only major component of that team whose contract was up was Konerko, and he re-signed with the Sox.

The players that left were either simply let go (Everett, Blum) or traded (Rowand, Hernandez, Vizcaino). Salary demands had virtually nothing to do with it.

Keeping teams together wouldn't guarantee perpetual winners. Keeping the 2008 Rays together wouldn't guarantee they will ever finish first again.
No kidding, but it would at least allow more continuity of players for teams like the 1997 and 2003 Marlins. Not even the Jordan-era Bulls were guaranteed of winning every year despited paying through the nose to retain their core.

drewcifer
10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
The 2005 White Sox weren't broken up due to payroll at all, so your example is irrelevant. Not a single player from that team left because they were offered more money elsewhere. In fact, the only major component of that team whose contract was up was Konerko, and he re-signed with the Sox.

The players that left were either simply let go (Everett, Blum) or traded (Rowand, Hernandez, Vizcaino). Salary demands had virtually nothing to do with it.

No kidding, but it would at least allow more continuity of players for teams like the 1997 and 2003 Marlins. Not even the Jordan-era Bulls were guaranteed of winning every year despited paying through the nose to retain their core.

Exactly. I don't think he is getting those points at all.

hellview
10-17-2008, 12:50 PM

The 1997 Marlins were a team that a bunch of money was spent for a 1 year run. It's not like all their players were free agents after the season. The Marlins front office broke that team apart not money.

The 2003 was another team that wasn't broke up cause of money. Lee and Pudge left, but the pitching all came back. Much like 1997 the Marlins front office choose to break that team up.

BASEBALL DOESN'T NEED A SALARY CAP!!!!

TDog
10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Exactly. I don't think he is getting those points at all.

You're not getting the point. A salary cap that would allow teams to stay together would not perpetuate winning teams. The difference between a winning baseball team and a losing baseball team often has little to do with talent. Teams break apart for reasons that have nothing to do with salary. Young teams that win one year seldom win the next year if they stay together, and often they don't stay together for reasons that a salary cap would not address. The composition of baseball teams change for reasons that are not related to money. A team that wins this year isn't assured of winning next year.

People who advocate a salary cap for baseball miss the point. But it is a moot point, because even if a salary cap were not bad for baseball in and of itself, the process of putting a baseball salary cap in place would be bad for baseball.

By the way, Pudge was retired long before 2003. He was already in the Hall of Fame by then.

guillensdisciple
10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
You're not getting the point. A salary cap that would allow teams to stay together would not perpetuate winning teams. The difference between a winning baseball team and a losing baseball team often has little to do with talent. Teams break apart for reasons that have nothing to do with salary. Young teams that win one year seldom win the next year if they stay together, and often they don't stay together for reasons that a salary cap would not address. The composition of baseball teams change for reasons that are not related to money. A team that wins this year isn't assured of winning next year.

People who advocate a salary cap for baseball miss the point. But it is a moot point, because even if a salary cap were not bad for baseball in and of itself, the process of putting a baseball salary cap in place would be bad for baseball.

By the way, Pudge was retired long before 2003. He was already in the Hall of Fame by then.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the system the MLB has intact right now. As a matter of fact I think the MLB is run much more efficiently then any other sport out there.

In game there are some mishaps but toward team management, I believe the rules are fair.

Frankfan4life
10-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Since moving to Sarasota in 2005 (Yeah, I know - great timing), I have gone to most of the SOX games in the Trop as well as few others each season. Even this year with the Rays in first place most of the season, they averaged around 20,000 fans per game with a lot of empty seats. Even during this division series, they had seats in the upper deck closed with canvas over them. Apparently the site line is obstructed by the lighting catwalk.

Anyway, even after both losses, my friend and I ventured into the local party bar Ferg's which is next to the Trop. Most of the fans were pretty cool, however we got a few " *!ck the Sox" comments as well as the typical "Hey hey hey, Good bye" chant as we were leaving. :tongue:

I got into the same discussion with a few Rays fans as I feel that many of the "fans" have just ran out this week and bought their Rays gear at Sports Authority in time for the playoffs. Heck, I've been to 15 Rays games this season which is probably a lot more than their average "fan".

However, realizing that they play in a horrible sterile dome and haven't had much to root for the last 10 years, it's understandable that people are joining now to enjoy the party atmosphere.

They have a good young team that is hungry to win. They simply outplayed us the first two games and we left wayyyyy too many runners on base and failed to get the key hits. It's not over and I'm hoping to watch one more game there this season...:smile:You reminded me that after each of the three Rays wins I encountered a lot of Rays fans whose over-exuberance bordered on the obnoxious and offensive. Some of them were even climbing trees in the parking lot and screaming insults. Perhaps, they didn't know how to act because they haven't been used to winning or perhaps they think that kind of behavior is supposed to show team spirit. I plan on going to see the Sox play the Rays in St. Pete next year, and all I can say is if the fans continue to behave like that, I will refuse to root for the Rays no matter who they play.

Red Barchetta
10-17-2008, 03:43 PM
You reminded me that after each of the three Rays wins I encountered a lot of Rays fans whose over-exuberance bordered on the obnoxious and offensive. Some of them were even climbing trees in the parking lot and screaming insults. Perhaps, they didn't know how to act because they haven't been used to winning or perhaps they think that kind of behavior is supposed to show team spirit. I plan on going to see the Sox play the Rays in St. Pete next year, and all I can say is if the fans continue to behave like that, I will refuse to root for the Rays no matter who they play.

I don't understand this behavior either. The idea of a professional championship is not new to the Tampa Bay area (Bucaneers and Lightning), so we can't blame it on the metro area. I think this is more of an example of "fans" of arguably the worst franchise in MLB over the past 10 years letting out a lot of pent up aggrevation. As SOX fans, I think we can understand the strategy of not supporting a poor on-field product. Now that Tampa Bay has a good chance of going to the World Series, the bandwagon is starting to get filled up up with the long frustrated fans watching from the sidelines that past few years.

Frankfan4life
10-18-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't understand this behavior either. The idea of a professional championship is not new to the Tampa Bay area (Bucaneers and Lightning), so we can't blame it on the metro area. I think this is more of an example of "fans" of arguably the worst franchise in MLB over the past 10 years letting out a lot of pent up aggrevation. As SOX fans, I think we can understand the strategy of not supporting a poor on-field product. Now that Tampa Bay has a good chance of going to the World Series, the bandwagon is starting to get filled up up with the long frustrated fans watching from the sidelines that past few years.I'm also of the opinion that the aggression probably stems from the Rays losing history. Hopefully, with the Rays' success this year things will calm down. However, it might get pretty ugly in the stands at the Rays/BoSox game today. There might even be a repeat of this: http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2008/09/red-sox-fan-arr.html