PDA

View Full Version : *Official* When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail; Sox lose 6-2

Pages : [1] 2

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Discuss it here.

cleanwsox
10-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I thought we were a HR hitting team. 12 singles? Awesome!

oeo
****ing awful.

Well, come home, it's the only place we can win.

chisoxfanatic
When we couldn't plate more than two in the first, I knew we'd have some problems. We had Kazmir on the ropes, but let him off the hook way too much. Buehrle pitched a great game, but our batters once again let him down.

soxfanatlanta
A classical White Sox loss. Ugh.

ohiosoxfan
I guess the real umpires were busy tonight. . .

ViPeRx007
Can't say I didn't really expect this, but I hoped to see a little more. This "score one inning and that is all" thing needs to stop.

<obvious> Gotta win at home </obvious>

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Good effort by Buehrle.

Pathetic effort by the hitters with runners on base.

Paul Konerko sucks.

GoGoCrede
Bradford hot dogging it on the mound. Maybe I'm just bitter.

Chisox353014
What is that awful song they play after a win?

thomas35forever
Reynolds just said the offense is going to have to get us back in this series. What a joke. Why don't we have clutch players anymore?

mccoydp
Ugly loss. Go get them on Sunday, Sox.

MCHSoxFan
**** this ****. We either win the next two and lose game 5 or we win Sunday and lose Monday. Either way, same result: WE ARE NOT MOVING ON.

guillensdisciple
****ing awful.

Well, come home, it's the only place we can win.
So then what the hell is the point of playing the rest of this ****ing series, if we are going to lose anyway, **** this... we are going to win all three.

WE WON'T BE DENIED!!!

Domeshot17
well if there is 1 silver lining, the only time this team ever shows up is when there is no tomorrow. Lets hope this continues true.

Buehrle was ok, He didn't give us what we needed but he didn't kill us. the offense sucked, the defense was bad, the bullpen was bad, typical Sox road game.

cburns
Once again the Sox can't get hits when it matters. How many strikeouts looking did they have last night? I thought the ump gave a lot of the borderline pitches to the Rays.

Navarro's Talent
It's a good thing the Sox are good under lots and lots of pressure because there's plenty of it to throw around now.

The Sox are going to have to change the make-up of the line-up next season. We need RBI machines.

Great game for Mark.

MiamiSpartan
Offense just died tonite....very sad....

Chisox353014
Can't say I didn't really expect this, but I hoped to see a little more. This "score one inning and that is all" thing needs to stop.

<obvious> Gotta win at home </obvious>

First two batters of the game scored...after that, zip. And against pitchers that hardly did **** all night.

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
12 singles....that was a weird game for the Sox.
Sunday is another day...another locale.. Sox have a punchers chance to get back to Tampa...not sure if they can win there but I do not see them going down in 3 games. Johnny Danks...time to step up again.

MCHSoxFan
Reynolds just said the offense is going to have to get us back in this series. What a joke. Why don't we have clutch players anymore?

Crede and CQ are not playing...?

Frater Perdurabo
You can't blame the umpires.

Blame the hitters.

Paulie left so many runners on base.

Swisher just stood there with the bat on his shoulder.

Corlose 15
Strike out looking to end the game. How fitting.:rolleyes:

This game was absolutely giftwrapped. 12 hits and 2 runs? Only this team could do that.

Ozzie screwed up the 8th inning as well. Buehrle is at 100 pitches with the bullpen rested and you leave him out there. Then you bring in Thornton later? Just have Thornton start the inning.

DaveFeelsRight
great, if we win the two games at home we have to come back here

guillensdisciple
What is that awful song they play after a win?
YES THANK YOU!!!! WHAT THE **** IS IT???? It sounds so ****ing annoying, kinda like a nail being driven into my head. A rasping and irritating song.

MCHSoxFan
I thought the ump gave a lot of the borderline pitches to the Rays.

Yes.

EuroSox35
Letting Kazmir off the hook like that is terrible. He was horrible, an average offense scores 10 off him by the 5th inning. Let's get under some more pitches hoping to go yard some more and pop up, unreal

If Greg Walker is employed by this team next year I'm not going to 1 ****ing game

turners56
We had ZERO extra base hits in this game. Maybe that's why we ****ing lost.

oeo
We had Kazmir on the ropes, but let him off the hook way too much.

And so goes the 2008 White Sox. Putting pitchers away has been a big problem. They can get to a guy early and then let him settle in.

PeoriaSoxFan
I thought we were a HR hitting team. 12 singles? Awesome!

Good point, we haven't had many doubles, let a lone triples as of late. We have 12 hits, 2 walks, and 12 LOB. You can't win like that and we didn't.

Mohoney
10-03-2008, 08:21 PM
12 runners left on base, bullpen pisses away late runs, what can you do?

ViPeRx007
Oh and Swisher might as well not even bring a bat to the plate with him....

:rolleyes:

GoGoCrede
YES THANK YOU!!!! WHAT THE **** IS IT???? It sounds so ****ing annoying, kinda like a nail being driven into my head. A rasping and irritating song.

You mean you watched it unmuted?

turners56
great, if we win the two games at home we have to come back here

Which doesn't seem too promising. It was a nice season.

guillensdisciple
It's a good thing the Sox are good under lots and lots of pressure because there's plenty of it to throw around now.

The Sox are going to have to change the make-up of the line-up next season. We need RBI machines.

Great game for Mark.

Do you guys honestly believe that Danks and Floyd can muster up master performances one more time? Honestly, isn't it asking a bit too much out of young pitchers like this?

Lefty34
Good effort by Buehrle.

Pathetic effort by the hitters with runners on base.

Paul Konerko sucks.

How dare you insult one of our veteran leaders! That double play in the bottom of the ninth after the Sox got a lucky break was EXACTLY what this team needed. I am SO glad he is going to be back next year. WOOO!!!1!11!!!

PeoriaSoxFan
Please fire Greg Walker. I don't care if it isn't his fault.

soxinthecity
It's hard to create opportunities if you don't swing the bat.

sox1970
Nothing new. The Rays played the way they play. The Sox played the way they play.

They won the division, which is cool. Too many positives this year to be upset about how this series is going. The Rays are better than the Sox, and that's why they've won the games so far.

BadBobbyJenks
10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
The ump did not beat us. We sucked with runners on.

Elimination games are more fun!

Hendu
2 runs in the first inning, then shut it down the rest of the game. Too many called 3rd strikes. Buehrle gave us every chance to win, but the offense sucked big time.

Well, let's see if our elimination game success continues.

ViPeRx007
I miss Carlos Quentin.

BleacherBandit
Screw Tampa.
Screw their crappy venue.
Screw their Balfour.
Screw their crappy carpet looking turf.
Screw their crappy fans that didn't show up for the first ten years, but now think that they are 'fans'.
Screw Raymond the stupid mascott.
Screw the crappy umpires.
Screw John Maddon and his emo glasses.

guillensdisciple
You mean you watched it unmuted?

Ehh, I was waiting for the Sox to destroy them so I could hear the death of the crowd... never happened... big mistake.

oeo
Good point, we haven't had many doubles, let a lone triples as of late. We have 12 hits, 2 walks, and 12 LOB. You can't win like that and we didn't.

Well, I actually liked the approach. They just can't get the hit that matters, though. No extra base hits wasn't the problem, it was not getting a hit when it mattered.

PeoriaSoxFan
:tealpolice:How dare you insult one of our veteran leaders! That double play in the bottom of the ninth after the Sox got a lucky break was EXACTLY what this team needed. I am SO glad he is going to be back next year. WOOO!!!1!11!!!

chisoxfanatic
Could he have stated anything more obvious? Seriously, he gets paid what 6 figures to make an obvious statement like THAT??? Get his ghetto-sounding behind away from the broadcast booth!

munchman33
We had the bases loaded with nobody out and got two runs in that inning. I'm not used to that kind of production from this offense against a good pitcher. During the season, we get none.

If we can't win under these circumstances, we aren't going to win playoff games. The offense gave us more than it normally does.

Lefty34
10-03-2008, 08:23 PM
12 runners left on base, bullpen pisses away late runs, what can you do?

Stop playing favorites with the bullpen and bringing in Octavio ****ING Dotel, we can start there.

slowlearner
12 hits and 2 runs?

Kind of says it all, huh?

Dub25
I guess the real umpires were busy tonight. . .

When I saw CB Buckner was in posistion to be the home plate home today, yeaterday, I knew there would be probs. He is the worst ump in the big leagues. Should not be in the playoffs. He was totally influenced by the crowd on the 2nd strike to Alexei in the 7th.

PeoriaSoxFan
10-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, I actually liked the approach. They just can't get the hit that matters, though. No extra base hits wasn't the problem, it was not getting a hit when it mattered.

What approach did you like? My point is that we don't get hits with RISP, period.

hi im skot
Bad game for Buckner.

Worse game for our offense.

The Rays are moving up into Twins territory; the ****ty dome, the mohawks, the cowbell...ugh.

It's fitting that a team that has nearly killed me all season puts itself in a 0-2 hole.

doctorlecter

Great game for Mark.

I'm still here, guys...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/baseball/mlb/05/22/bp.whitesox/QuentinAP2.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2008, 08:25 PM
There's a saying that a series really hasn't "begun" until a team wins a game on the road. So far, things have gone exactly as should be expected. The home team has won both games.

Now the Sox get to play two at home. I like their chances of winning both.

Both the Sox and Cubs are down 0-2. But I'm much more comfortable having lost two on the road, with two home games coming up, than I would be if I just lost two at home, and faced having to go on the road.

It could be much worse. The Sox bullpen is still in decent shape, we have our two best starters coming up on regular rest, we have a day off, and we're coming home.

hi im skot
Stop playing favorites with the bullpen and bringing in Octavio ****ING Dotel, we can start there.

Dotel is the last person I'm blaming tonight.

guillensdisciple
2 runs in the first inning, then shut it down the rest of the game. Too many called 3rd strikes. Buehrle gave us every chance to win, but the offense sucked big time.

Well, let's see if our elimination game success continues.
This was, unfortunately, the description of why the Sox lost games this year. After CQ this just went further to hell. At least with him there was SOME fight on the road. Just bring it back home and fight them piece of **** Rays.

One thing I do respect is the Rays don't do with their turf what the Twins did with it. The Rays play complete baseball, they have power, contact, speed, defense , and pitching. EXACTLY what the sox had in '05. They are the miracle team of the year, maybe the Sox just got a bad match- up. STILL those ****s look beatable.

ShoelessJoeS
Un****ingbelievable...

Let's hope for some home cookin' on Sunday.

oeo
Could he have stated anything more obvious? Seriously, he gets paid what 6 figures to make an obvious statement like THAT??? Get his ghetto-sounding behind away from the broadcast booth!

Harold Reynolds is a moron. And to think I actually thought he was good before this series...now I feel like a moron. I guess it's easier to sound somewhat smart with a teleprompter in front of you, because his baseball IQ is very low, especially for a former player.

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 08:26 PM
I have to say that the sox did get on base far more than normal for them.12 hits,a hit batter and 2 walks?
It is almost freaky bad luck to not have any of those hits be at the right time outside of Thome's single.

I am encouraged by our hitting ...not clutch hitting but sheer numbers of hits is the most in weeks.

Now, no homers does hurt. But if we go double digit hits in Soxpark on sunday...I like our chances. half of the rays hits are those groundball thru the infield types that they will not get as many on grass.

MB pitched well enough to win...if we get timely hitting that is.

Konerko05
Typical White Sox loss. No one wants to step and drive in a big run. This is the department where the Sox really miss Quentin and Crede.

Stuck out looking way too many times today. It didn't help that White Sox hitters had one of the biggest strike zones I've seen. I mean it's pretty obvious whenever they go to the pitch tracker and the pitch is a ball by 6 inches.

The offense should have scored at least five runs of Kazmir in the first two innings. He should have never made it into the third.

soxfanatlanta
I'm still here, guys...

Um...no you are not. You suffered another season ending injury.

DaveFeelsRight
i cant even be mad at this game. its so funny cause its usually like this on the road.

Dub25
Bad game for Buckner.

Worse game for our offense.

The Rays are moving up into Twins territory; the ****ty dome, the mohawks, the cowbell...ugh.

It's fitting that a team that has nearly killed me all season puts itself in a 0-2 hole.

Bad game for Buckner? He always has a bad game.

hi im skot
How dare you insult one of our veteran leaders! That double play in the bottom of the ninth after the Sox got a lucky break was EXACTLY what this team needed. I am SO glad he is going to be back next year. WOOO!!!1!11!!!

Don't be a douche.

oeo
What approach did you like? My point is that we don't get hits with RISP, period.

That we weren't swinging for the homerun, but instead basehits.

JB98

No, we don't. We actually had more scoring opportunities than Tampa Bay in this game. We pissed away quite a few chances. The Rays almost maximized their opportunities.

We have sucked with two outs and RISP all season.

ViPeRx007
10-03-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm still here, guys...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/baseball/mlb/05/22/bp.whitesox/QuentinAP2.jpg

Quentin and Dye are all I'd keep. Go out and get some guys that can run and scrap. This homer or nothing stuff is a joke. It's not a coincidence that a team like the Rays and Twins can compete.

guillensdisciple
We had the bases loaded with nobody out and got two runs in that inning. I'm not used to that kind of production from this offense against a good pitcher. During the season, we get none.

If we can't win under these circumstances, we aren't going to win playoff games. The offense gave us more than it normally does.
This is a ****ing joke right? So who are you putting this game on? Mark Buerhle I assume?

Lip Man 1
I just hope they don't get swept.

Maybe in Chicago they can actually drive in a few runs.

Again, the positive is that Kenny is watching this, if this doesn't convince him to can some of these slow footed softball players then nothing ever will.

Lip

voodoochile
If I had a hammer...
I'd hammer in the morning.
I'd hammer in the evening all over this land...

Or if you prefer...

Hammer gonna be the death of me lord lord
Hammer gonna be the death of me...

I'm kind of a first stanza guy...

oeo
Typical White Sox loss. No one wants to step and drive in a big run. This is the department where the Sox really miss Quentin and Crede.

Crede was part of the problem.

hi im skot
10-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Quentin and Dye are all I'd keep. Go out and get some guys that can run and scrap. This homer or nothing stuff is a joke. It's not a coincidence that a team like the Rays and Twins can compete.

Excuse me, Mr. Harrelson; the Twins are at home right now.

Dub25

Again, the positive is that Kenny is watching this, if this doesn't convince him to can some of these slow footed softball players then nothing ever will.

Lip

Yep, check my thread.

soxfanatlanta
We have sucked with two outs and RISP all season.

Don't you mean since April, 2007?

doctorlecter
Dotel is the last person I'm blaming tonight.
True, but I'm pissed that he brought him in with Crawford on 1st. Screw the lefty-righty matchup at the plate, bring in someone who can hold the runner on.

PeoriaSoxFan
10-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Uribe must go. He has struck out now two times, with one out, in two days, with the bases loaded. His swing is ridiculous. It is like me trying to hit a golf ball...swing as hard as you can and don't watch the ball.

ViPeRx007
Excuse me, Mr. Harrelson; the Twins are at home right now.

His man-love of the Twins is sickening, but he's not totally wrong.

hi im skot
True, but I'm pissed that he brought him in with Crawford on 1st. Screw the lefty-righty matchup at the plate, bring in someone who can hold the runner on.

Crawford pretty much steals at will, unfortunately.

kevingrt

Who on our whole team except Buehrle can hold a runner on? Answer that question.

PeteWard
The ump did not beat us. We sucked with runners on.

Elimination games are more fun!

No, you are right...the Sox beat themselves and you can't blame the ump for this loss.

BUT he did absolutely suck esp. back to back on Alexei and Swisher. Those called strike pitches were way off.

GoGoCrede

As much as I love Crede (see my username) I remember a whole lot of popups early in the season. You're right.

oeo

Lip

We have to stick with this 'slow footed' lineup for at least another year. The big transformation everybody is hoping for isn't going to happen. Where are Dye, Thome, Konerko, and Swisher going to go? Nowhere, which means we have to deal with it.

Can we add some speed at 2B and maybe 3B? Sure. But one guy isn't going to change an entire lineup. We need an overhaul, and the way contracts currently stand, it's not happening right now.

HartmanSox
Build the team around Alexei and TCQ. The rest of them can **** off.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Uribe must go. He has struck out now two times, with one out, in two days, with the bases loaded. His swing is ridiculous. It is like me trying to hit a golf ball...swing as hard as you can and don't watch the ball.

I believe today he struck out and the bases were loaded with two outs.

doctorlecter
Um...no you are not. You suffered another season ending injury.

The post I referred to was speaking about how to build the team for next year. Let's keep it in context...

BleacherBandit
Win on sunday, win on Monday, win on Wensday. They might be able to pull it off.

hawkjt
Win on sunday and the pressure starts to mount on the Rays.
We just need to break out...the weather is going to be nice and warm on sunday and monday which is good for our homer hitters.

Sox need to figure out how to win in that dome but I will worry about that on Tuesday.

EuroSox35

Chill out racist. He doesn't sound like Stuart Scott (oh I get it, black people=ghetto). What the hell do you want him to say? He said the offense sucked and he was right. Quit being a sore loser and start blaming announcers and all that crap, He's been good.

Same with the umpire crap to everyone. All those pitches are borderline, no way you should just stand there looking at pitches right there with 2 strikes. Do we need to go back to the minors and learn the rules of baseball? Anderson again, Thome, Swisher, etc. it's pathetic and it seems like we've been doing it more then ever lately

JB98
Don't you mean since April, 2007?

You're not wrong, but I prefer to forget about 2007.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2008, 08:31 PM
You're not wrong, but I prefer to forget about 2007.

What is this 2007 you speak of?

Let's win at home, boys. The crowd will be pulling for you. Let's not get swept.

Hendu
10-03-2008, 08:32 PM
If I had a hammer...

Or if you prefer...

I'm just looking for one divine hammer
I'd bang it all day
Oh the carpenter goes bang...bang bang

hi im skot
Chill out racist. He doesn't sound like Stuart Scott (oh I get it, black people=ghetto). What the hell do you want him to say? He said the offense sucked and he was right. Quit being a sore loser and start blaming announcers and all that crap, He's been good.

Same with the umpire crap to everyone. All those pitches are borderline, no way you should just stand there looking at pitches right there with 2 strikes. Do we need to go back to the minors and learn the rules of baseball? Anderson again, Thome, Swisher, etc. it's pathetic and it seems like we've been doing it more then ever lately

This will end well.

doctorlecter
Who on our whole team except Buehrle can hold a runner on? Answer that question.
Thornton can at least look at him, even though he doesn't have the best move. Buehrle was on the hill already, by the way...

PeoriaSoxFan
That we weren't swinging for the homerun, but instead basehits.

We have been more patient, since the 2nd inning yesterday; yet, we had 8 strikeouts today. We seem to turn being patient into being too patient and let called 3rd strikes go by.

Uribe, though, just hacking at every pitch. Also, I am a big AJ fan, but man, can this guy ever take a pitch?

Frater Perdurabo
If I had a hammer...

Or if you prefer...

I know you're having fun with my thread title. And I think the Sox win Games 3 and 4 at home. But you have to admit that the Sox offense is way too one-dimensional.

Quentin and Alexei are the building blocks for the future. Dye remains useful; he actually knows how to slice hits between infielders in addition to hitting homers. AJ is also useful. But Thome, Paulie and Swish are just too one-dimensional and this needs to be their last season in the silver and black. And Uribe and BA were useless at the plate tonight, too.

BadBobbyJenks
No, you are right...the Sox beat themselves and you can't blame the ump for this loss.

BUT he did absolutely suck esp. back to back on Alexei and Swisher. Those called strike pitches were way off.

Swisher took pitches right there and instead was waiting to be walked. Maybe he got screwed on the 3-2 pitch, but he should have driven the 3-1 cookie.

Alexei did get screwed, but it happens. That was one at bat in 9 innings.

This game was lost when we left Kaz of the hook and let him go 5+ innings.

guillensdisciple
10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
A rather sarcastic .... "this is white sox baseball" when asked about the lack of situational hitting.

soxfanatlanta
10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
The post I referred to was speaking about how to build the team for next year. Let's keep it in context...

You are right.

But I'd rather not think about next year until the winter meetings. Despite the 2 game hole, I'd like to squeak out at least one more win.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Thornton can at least look at him, even though he doesn't have the best move. Buehrle was on the hill already, by the way...

I know hence the point no one can hold runners on for us.

By the way I blame this fully on Dave Wills. You suck Wills.

soxfanatlanta
10-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Uribe, though, just hacking at every pitch. Also, I am a big AJ fan, but man, can this guy ever take a pitch?

As much as like his glove, he just cannot learn how to take pitches.

voodoochile
10-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Or a different verse from John Henry...

John Henry said to his captain,
"Oh Captain - a man ain't nothin but a man,
Just before I die with the hammer in my hand,
Lawd, Lawd, I'll die with the hammer in my hand.

And finally...

John Henry says to his mother,
Says "A man ain't nothin but a man,
Before I let this steam beat me down,
Lawd, I'll die with this hammer in my hand,Lawd, Lawd,
I'll die with this hammer in my hand.

It's an old folk song so it's public domain...

PeoriaSoxFan
10-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I believe today he struck out and the bases were loaded with two outs.

You are right, there were two outs in the first when he was up. No matter what the situation, the guy goes up and swings from his heals. I also feel like his D has slipped as of late. He seems to have no ability to go for balls to his left. Crede lays out for grounders, Uribe does not. I know he is generally good, but I don't think he is a long term third baseman. He has his place in Sox history, but lets make him history next year.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 08:36 PM

Lip

Unfortunately MLB is set up for mediocre or one dimensional players to get lots of money and can't get canned for poor performance without getting a great severance package.

This in my opinion is what truly ruins baseball.

voodoochile
10-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I know you're having fun with my thread title. And I think the Sox win Games 3 and 4 at home. But you have to admit that the Sox offense is way too one-dimensional.

Quentin and Alexei are the building blocks for the future. Dye remains useful; he actually knows how to slice hits between infielders in addition to hitting homers. AJ is also useful. But Thome, Paulie and Swish are just too one-dimensional and this needs to be their last season in the silver and black. And Uribe and BA were useless at the plate tonight, too.

Gonna hammer our way back to Tampa for game 5. Then we'll talk...

kevingrt
You are right, there were two outs in the first when he was up. No matter what the situation, the guy goes up and swings from his heals. I also feel like his D has slipped as of late. He seems to have no ability to go for balls to his left. Crede lays out for grounders, Uribe does not. I know he is generally good, but I don't think he is a long term third baseman. He has his place in Sox history, but lets make him history next year.

Agree on his fielding. He still would be a very good utility infielder next year.

Konerko05

Sorry maybe I should have said a healthy Crede. Gold glove defense and a knack for driving in a big run. Part of the problem? I take it you didn't watch 2005.

I'll still take bad Crede over Uribe striking out in 99% of critical situations. Or falling on the ground any time a ball isn't hit directly at him.

Domeshot17
I wouldn't mind seeing JD gone. The guy has laid an egg since we lost Quentin. He hit 242 in august and 269 in september when we needed him most. He is 11 for 77 in domes and only a 250 hitter on the road.

mikesouthside
10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I love the Sox but something has been missing the past week. EVEN with the must win games. I usually am the extreme of happy or extreme of insanity...with a win or loss....but I think deep inside I know this isn't the year. I am aware of this teams flaws. We all see it. We all HOPE we catch lighting in a bottle game after game/series after series. I will be there Sunday/hopefully Monday but I look at the club and see a promising 2009. Danks/Floyd/TCQ/AR...changes to come. Lets just go w/ the flow. We won the ALC. We did better than expected....if we go further BONUS...if not....2009. Get em Sunday guys.

Hitmen77
10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Nothing new. The Rays played the way they play. The Sox played the way they play.

They won the division, which is cool. Too many positives this year to be upset about how this series is going. The Rays are better than the Sox, and that's why they've won the games so far.

I agree 1000%. The Rays are a better team - just face reality folks. This game typifies the weaknesses the Sox have. 1st two hitters in the game score and that's it....that is classic White Sox.

It's cool that the Sox won the AL Central. To go any further in the future, they'll need to improve this team for next season.

PeoriaSoxFan
10-03-2008, 08:39 PM
This game hurt. I was satisfied with our season after Tuesday, win or lose in the playoffs, but it sure seems like we could have won one of these. I am not giving up. Go Sox, win on Sunday.....:gulp::gulp::gulp:It's not over until its over!

hi im skot

Uribe is starting at third because Crede is hurt. Uribe will be with the team next year as a utility man, but he's done a good job covering for Crede.

kitekrazy
Swisher took pitches right there and instead was waiting to be walked.

I think this is why he sits the bench. When he did swing the bat he got on today.

He's like the sissy kid that lays down in dodgeball.

kevingrt
I still would maybe like to see another season from Swisher and PK. Swisher I think has great potential especially at the Cell. Something was just no right this season. And remember PK was hurt most of the season with his wrist. Now if this is a chronic injury he should be done. But I think a full healthy season will still yield 25-30 HR and 100+ RBI's which you will not see from many 1B.

As for Thome. I love you man but you gotta go.

oeo
Alexei did get screwed, but it happens. That was one at bat in 9 innings.

Screw that. Alexei was the only guy I trusted up there. I just hoped Thome didn't hit into a double play. Buckner took the bat out of his hands. It was 0-2, and should have been 2-0. 1 out in the 6th, 1 run game, first and second. That's a huge at bat.

Again, Buckner had that "I'll show you" attitude you see from umpires all the time, that don't like getting "shown up" because they suck. Those type of umpires should not be umpiring postseason games. It's not your job to get under the skin of players, it's your job to call a fair game. And after the 5th inning, the strike zones were well in the Rays favor on both sides.

BadBobbyJenks
10-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry maybe I should have said a healthy Crede. Gold glove defense and a knack for driving in a big run. Part of the problem? I take it you didn't watch 2005.

I'll still take bad Crede over Uribe striking out in 99% of critical situations. Or falling on the ground any time a ball isn't hit directly at him.

Sadly, Crede peaked in 05. I want no part of Joe Crede in 09. We need speed at two of the following positions, 3b, ss or 2b (which ever Alexei does not play) and CF.

PeoriaSoxFan
I agree 1000%. The Rays are a better team - just face reality folks. This game typifies the weaknesses the Sox have. 1st two hitters in the game score and that's it....that is classic White Sox.

It's cool that the Sox won the AL Central. To go any further in the future, they'll need to improve this team for next season.

You are dead on with your post.

guillensdisciple
I still would maybe like to see another season from Swisher and PK. Swisher I think has great potential especially at the Cell. Something was just no right this season. And remember PK was hurt most of the season with his wrist. Now if this is a chronic injury he should be done. But I think a full healthy season will still yield 25-30 HR and 100+ RBI's which you will not see from many 1B.

As for Thome. I love you man but you gotta go.
Swisher stays, PK goes to the Angels in return for Figgins.... end of discussion.

SOXBOY
Please no more Swisher. Wise at least swings the bat. Swisher just wants to walk and let someone else hit.

kevingrt
This game hurt. I was satisfied with our season after Tuesday, win or lose in the playoffs, but it sure seems like we could have won one of these. I am not giving up. Go Sox, win on Sunday.....:gulp::gulp::gulp:It's not over until its over!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
NO.

Nothing is over! Until we completely stop hitting HR's.

hawkjt

Juan is struggling in the dome ...he is playing up due to bunting issues and they are shooting it by him a lot.

At the plate he seems to be reverting to his bad ways ...not standing up as much as when he was better?

soxfanatlanta
Or a different verse from John Henry...

John Henry said to his captain,
"Oh Captain - a man ain't nothin but a man,
Just before I die with the hammer in my hand,
Lawd, Lawd, I'll die with the hammer in my hand.

And finally...

John Henry says to his mother,
Says "A man ain't nothin but a man,
Before I let this steam beat me down,
Lawd, I'll die with this hammer in my hand,Lawd, Lawd,
I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
It's an old folk song so it's public domain...

Oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh
Here comes the hammer
Oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh
Here comes the hammer

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/01/02/mchammer_narrowweb__300x344,0.jpg

BadBobbyJenks
Screw that. Alexei was the only guy I trusted up there. I just hoped Thome didn't hit into a double play. Buckner took the bat out of his hands. It was 0-2, and should have been 2-0. 1 out in the 7th, 1 run game, first and second. That's a huge at bat.

Well actually it should have been 1-1, the first one was a strike.

OldRomanPizza
When the Sox had runners on base, the humanoid figures you saw coming to the plate were not baseball players, or even humans at all. It was anti-matter, in the shape of baseball players.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Swisher stays, PK goes to the Angels in return for Figgins.... end of discussion.

Where will PK play for the Halos?

Lefty34
Don't be a douche.

That's not very nice, I don't appreciate being called names (rules?). And yeah, it's not like anyone who dares criticize a veteran on this team (05!!11!1!) for a job not well done is labeled a moron or, as you so eloquently put it, a douche.

turners56
Where will PK play for the Halos?

First base after they get owned in the ALDS and can't afford to keep Teixeira.

Domeshot17
10-03-2008, 08:42 PM

When will people get over 2005? ITS OVER. Maybe a healthy Crede knocks in a few runs, or maybe 2008 Crede kicks around a few of those ground balls or throws the easy ones away in Tampa.

Konerko05
Please no more Swisher. Wise at least swings the bat. Swisher just wants to walk and let someone else hit.

Swisher was on base three times today at the top of the order. I can't believe people are really complaining about him. Cabrera should learn a thing a two or from him.

hawkjt
Rongey is saying that it is common knowledge that Buckner is a bad ump.
I agree it was not the diff but even on Iwamura's at bat when he went deep, MB should have had him 0-2 but buckner is blind.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 08:43 PM
First base after they get owned in the ALDS and can't afford to keep Teixeira.

The Halos have a ton of money they will definitely be able to afford Tex if he still wants to play in LA.

BadBobbyJenks
10-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Swisher was on base three times today at the top of the order. I can't believe people are really complaining about him. Cabrera should learn a thing a two or from him.

True Swisher had 3 great at bats, but one horrible one. A game like today though and we are only going to remember the last one.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I agree it was not the diff but even on Iwamura's at bat when he went deep, MB should have had him 0-2 but buckner is blind.

Totally agree. That one ball call was the worst of the game. If Hawk was on the call you would have heard bad words up there.

Dub25

That's what I've been saying tonight. Buckner is bad. I have no idea why he is a playoff ump.

turners56
The Halos have a ton of money they will definitely be able to afford Tex if he still wants to play in LA.

Can they outbid the Yankees though? That's the problem...

ElevenUp
I knew we were in trouble when I saw that ***hat Buckner behind the plate. Pathetic performance by the offense. Tough luck for MB. I still can't believe that ball Iwamura hit went out of the park.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Chill out racist. He doesn't sound like Stuart Scott (oh I get it, black people=ghetto).

I hate this crap. Check your definition of racism and ghetto.

guillensdisciple
Does anyone, in honesty (without bull****), believe that this team can pull another comeback out of their asses? We have done it time and time again, but this might be too much, they have us outplayed. At least we played teams to get in that weren't that strong. In order to beat the Rays the white sox have to play perfect, and they haven't done it without Carlos... just not the same team.

hi im skot
That's not very nice, I don't appreciate being called names (rules?). And yeah, it's not like anyone who dares criticize a veteran on this team (05!!11!1!) for a job not well done is labeled a moron or, as you so eloquently put it, a douche.

Your sarcasm is "douchey." I stick with my original assessment.

If you think Paul Konerko "sucks," as you so eloquently put it, you haven't watched too many games over the last couple months.

Say something intelligent and people will take your opinions seriously.

kevingrt
True Swisher had 3 great at bats, but one horrible one. A game like today though and we are only going to remember the last one.

Well that's your and the fans problem. Ozzie cannot look at one AB. He needs to go with the guy that will best produce throughout the game.

So I say Swish in CF and Wise in LF. I mean the ball never found CF on a fly today did it?

Frankfan4life
Let's face it, the loss of three starters (Contreas, Quentin and Crede) has really hurt the Sox, especially during the playoffs. However, we've still got some good hitters on this team and they will start hitting.

My hope is that the fans really bring the noise during the homestand. The players really seem to respond to it.

Konerko05
When will people get over 2005? ITS OVER. Maybe a healthy Crede knocks in a few runs, or maybe 2008 Crede kicks around a few of those ground balls or throws the easy ones away in Tampa.

Yeah I can't get over it. That is all I think about everyday. I think it's acceptable to bring it up considering it's the only recent playoff performance to reference. Crede excelled under pressure. So did Quentin. The rest of our offense doesn't. We miss guys that excel under pressure. I don't see anything wrong with what I said.

Lefty34
10-03-2008, 08:46 PM

So you're saying that, although Swisher did his job 3 times, you are going to arbitrarily ignore those and focus on the one where he didn't? I've been hammering on PK, but I still think it was a great job of him getting that hit, and I'm not taking that away from him. Come on people, get real. He GOT ON BASE! Meaning he did not give up an out. What's so hard to grasp about that?

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Swish's last at bat was not horrible when two pitches that are outside the box...and maybe all three...he needed to get on base and when they throw 5 or 6 balls and are not called...nothing swish can do.
I know he is patient and has been called out a lot lately but when they are not strikes...he is supposed to swing to satisfy buckner.

I would love to know that the umps are shown blown calls after every game...but clearly buckner aint listeing.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah I can't get over it. That is all I think about everyday. I think it's acceptable to bring it up considering it's the only recent playoff performance to reference. Crede excelled under pressure. So did Quentin. The rest of our offense doesn't. We miss guys that excel under pressure. I don't see anything wrong with what I said.

I agree with your post but TCQ was not on the 2005 team, but he did perform well under pressure this year. But then again everyone on this team has performed well at one point or another under pressure. OC, Swish, PK, Thome, TCQ, Alexei, Juan, BA, and AJ have all had walk off or big base hits this year in late innings.

Domeshot17
10-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I hate this crap. Check your definition of racism and ghetto.

I don't know. I got what he was saying. I don't think CSF meant it racist just because she never comes across that way, but it isn't like Harold is out there "THEEEZE HITTAZ B SWING'AN AT ERRRTTHINNGG", so the only other way to interupt the use of Ghetto is he sounds black. Like I said, I don't think she meant it that way, but still, bad choice of words

BadBobbyJenks
Well that's your and the fans problem. Ozzie cannot look at one AB. He needs to go with the guy that will best produce throughout the game.

So I say Swish in CF and Wise in LF. I mean the ball never found CF on a fly today did it?

Well actually I dont have a problem. I was saying people bitching about the ump in Swisher's at bat can only blame Swisher. I thought Swisher was great tonight except in that at bat he was looking for the walk when he had a pitch to drive 3-1.

I would go Griffey and Swisher Sunday.

October26
Sad to see Mark Buehrle pitch so well in this game (until the 8th) and then the whole game blew up. I will give credit to the Rays for playing well and executing in key situations. They are a fun, exciting young team. But my first love has always been and will forever be the Chicago White Sox, so I'll be cheering for our Sox until the bitter end.

hawkjt
Does anyone, in honesty (without bull****), believe that this team can pull another comeback out of their asses? We have done it time and time again, but this might be too much, they have us outplayed. At least we played teams to get in that weren't that strong. In order to beat the Rays the white sox have to play perfect, and they haven't done it without Carlos... just not the same team.

The Indians were playing better than the Rays...they were hitting the crap out of the ball.

Twins are close. No, the Rays are ok in their dome but outside of it they get real human fast ..like the sox.

Medford Bobby
10-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Lip

And Dye ALMOST was not going to run out that close tag at first and got the called safe. I just wish everybody played like Pete Rose, especially in a playoff game. You can't take anything for granted in a tight game....:angry:

BadBobbyJenks
So you're saying that, although Swisher did his job 3 times, you are going to arbitrarily ignore those and focus on the one where he didn't? I've been hammering on PK, but I still think it was a great job of him getting that hit, and I'm not taking that away from him. Come on people, get real. He GOT ON BASE! Meaning he did not give up an out. What's so hard to grasp about that?

No I was speaking in general people are only going to remember the at bat he struck out. I just made a post about he was great tonight. I should not have used the word "WE" in that post.

kevingrt
All we need to do is still steal one in Tampa and take care of business at the Cell. Nothing has changed except we need to win three in a row instead of 3 out of 5.

Semi-teal but the general idea is right.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2008, 08:50 PM
And as we speak, the Red Sox pound a three run homer with two outs in the first. If only we could've done that.

Mark had a great outing.

hi im skot
Sad to see Mark Buehrle pitch so well in this game (until the 8th) and then the whole game blew up. I will give credit to the Rays for playing well and executing in key situations. They are a fun, exciting young team. But my first love has always been and will forever be the Chicago White Sox, so I'll be cheering for our Sox until the bitter end.

Yeah, Buehrle really battled tonight. The Alexei error really hurt, and Mark probably didn't really have any business starting the 8th inning.

Hope for the best on Sunday at this point.

Konerko05
I agree with your post but TCQ was not on the 2005 team, but he did perform well under pressure this year. But then again everyone on this team has performed well at one point or another under pressure. OC, Swish, PK, Thome, TCQ, Alexei, Juan, BA, and AJ have all had walk off or big base hits this year in late innings.

Quentin wasn't on the 2005 team? I thought it was him playing left field stealing all those bases.

If you would have followed the conversation, I was talking about Crede in 2005.

Quentin08
The problem is the offense. They always threaten in the 1st or 2nd inning, and then after that, they're no threat at all. I knew when they only got 2 runs after that big first inning threat that the offense would shut down, and inevitably the Rays would take the lead. Why is the offense so bad? IMO, it's the continual shuffling of the lineup. You need a balanced set lineup that the hitters can become comfortable with. You need balance, especially with a slow team like the Sox. Continue shuffling the lineup, and they'll continue to look lost at the plate.

hi im skot
10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
And as we speak, the Red Sox pound a three run homer with two outs in the first. If only we could've done that.

Mark had a great outing.

Home runs are for suckers. "Real" teams like the Twins and Rays don't need home runs.

kevingrt
Quentin wasn't on the 2005 team? I thought it was him playing left field stealing all those bases.

If you would have followed the conversation, I was talking about Crede in 2005.

Sorry, but you stated Quentin and Crede in your prior post.

Domeshot17

Crede hasn't been clutch in years. He was hitting .190 with RISP 2 outs this year and .214 in "close and late" situations.

BadBobbyJenks
All we need to do is still steal one in Tampa and take care of business at the Cell. Nothing has changed except we need to win three in a row instead of 3 out of 5.

Semi-teal but the general idea is right.

I have no doubts we will win Sunday and we have the advantage in Floyd versus Sonnastine. It definitely is not over, but this is a game we should have had in the bag early and we pissed it away.

OldRomanPizza

I certainly think we'll be tough to beat at home. The Rays have not been dominating, but...I would not bet on the Sox winning the series.

It would still not shock me to see the series go back to Tampa, and for our season to quietly end down there.

hi im skot
10-03-2008, 08:52 PM
And Dye ALMOST was not going to run out that close tag at first and got the called safe. I just wish everybody played like Pete Rose, especially in a playoff game. You can't take anything for granted in a tight game....:angry:

C'mon...the ball was in Bartlett's glove.

BadBobbyJenks
Home runs are for suckers. "Real" teams like the Twins and Rays don't need home runs.

The Red Sox have a balanced team. Before that home run it was 2nd and 3rd after a JD Drew double.

kevingrt
Crede hasn't been clutch in years. He was hitting .190 with RISP 2 outs this year and .214 in "close and late" situations.

I think people are saying clutch as in he hits HR's in big moments not only in a game but a season/playoff series in general. But yeah Crede is done here.

guillensdisciple
I certainly think we'll be tough to beat at home. The Rays have not been dominating, but...I would not bet on the Sox winning the series.

It would still not shock me to see the series go back to Tampa, and for our season to quietly end down there.

Wouldn't be too bad that way... it would hurt but at least we fought those ****ers until the very end.

TDog
The Sox will play better in Chicago. There will be at least one more game in Chicago this year. I expect Sunday's game won't be the last the Sox play.

I thought the Sox did well to get two in the first. After Konerko popped out, Thome got a big hit. Ramirez picked up the run that didn't score from second with a sacrifice fly when it looked like he couldn't hit Kazmir.

But I expected the Sox would display some power today.

The Rays kept the Sox in the park. Not just that, but all of the hits that got out of the infield were hit in front of outfielders who were all over them. I know people were complaining that the Sox weren't playing station, but the opportunities weren't there to take extra bases, except perhaps for Cabrera being held on Dye's hit. Sometimes even the Twins play station-to-station baseball. In April in Chicago, the Twins got an outfield hit with two on to load the bases and, after a Morneau strikeout, got two more outfield singles to score two runs.

Pardon the digression, but the fact that scoring from second on a single is far from automatic is a great reason not to sacrifice. If Thome had bunted runners over in the seventh, the Sox still wouldn't have scored. They needed a hit that wasn't fielded on just a couple of hops by a charging outfielder.

I don't feel nearly as bad as I did in 2000, driving back to Wisconsin after the Sox lost the second game at home against the Mariners. The way this season has gone, losing Crede, Quentin and Contreras, getting to the postseason holds some satisfaction. If the Sox finish their season in Chicago, back in St. Petersburg or even if they go farther, they will make some adjustments and come back next year and I'll look forward to next summer.

Lefty34
10-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Your sarcasm is "douchey." I stick with my original assessment.

If you think Paul Konerko "sucks," as you so eloquently put it, you haven't watched too many games over the last couple months.

Say something intelligent and people will take your opinions seriously.

I watched the first-half, too, when he put up a line of .217/.322/.368. That sucks. True, he had a great second-half, but what is more likely to be his true production ability, especially given 2007?

Oh yeah, and when PK is on the road, he puts up the horrendous line of .204/.295/.331. That also sucks. Intelligent enough for you skot?

soxpride724
I know this sounds terrible but, at this rate I just want to win at least 1 game so we don't get swept.

chisoxfanatic
If that isn't the biggest load of crap I've read in a long long time. I've never been a racist, and just because I think someone sounds ghetto does NOT mean I am a racist. His voice sounds like fingernails on a blackboard. It is incredibly hard to stand! And, for the record, I happen to enjoy listening to the voices of many black people including JD, Frank Thomas, and Tony Gwyn.

I hate the voices of Gail Fisher, Kerry Sayers and Suzy Kolberg too, does that make me a SEXIST?!

hi im skot
The Sox will play better in Chicago. There will be at least one more game in Chicago this year. I expect Sunday's game won't be the last the Sox play.

I thought the Sox did well to get two in the first. After Konerko popped out, Thome got a big hit. Ramirez picked up the run that didn't score from second with a sacrifice fly when it looked like he couldn't hit Kazmir.

But I expected the Sox would display some power today.

The Rays kept the Sox in the park. Not just that, but all of the hits that got out of the infield were hit in front of outfielders who were all over them. I know people were complaining that the Sox weren't playing station, but the opportunities weren't there to take extra bases, except perhaps for Cabrera being held on Dye's hit. Sometimes even the Twins play station-to-station baseball. In April in Chicago, the Twins got an outfield hit with two on to load the bases and, after a Morneau strikeout, got two more outfield singles to score two runs.

Pardon the digression, but the fact that scoring from second on a single is far from automatic is a great reason not to sacrifice. If Thome had bunted runners over in the seventh, the Sox still wouldn't have scored. They needed a hit that wasn't fielded on just a couple of hops by a charging outfielder.

I don't feel nearly as bad as I did in 2000, driving back to Wisconsin after the Sox lost the second game at home against the Mariners. The way this season has gone, losing Crede, Quentin and Contreras, getting to the postseason holds some satisfaction. If the Sox finish their season in Chicago, back in St. Petersburg or even if they go farther, they will make some adjustments and come back next year and I'll look forward to next summer.

Great post.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Wouldn't be too bad that way... it would hurt but at least we fought those ****ers until the very end.

All I want to see is after every pitch Balfour throws maybe someone like Swish can just yell profanities at his bat.

Lefty34
No I was speaking in general people are only going to remember the at bat he struck out. I just made a post about he was great tonight. I should not have used the word "WE" in that post.

Oh, sorry about that. I has in a hateful mood. Sorry you caught some flak :gulp:

kitekrazy
Totally agree. That one ball call was the worst of the game. If Hawk was on the call you would have heard bad words up there.

Well Dye got one that was an obvious out. OF course if he didn't get out of the box and decided to watch the play.

Domeshot17
10-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I think people are saying clutch as in he hits HR's in big moments not only in a game but a season/playoff series in general. But yeah Crede is done here.

I get it, but it is still a myth.

If I had a way back machine maybe I could bring back Dustin Hermanson and Cliff Politte to set up, Freddy to pitch a big game 1 and Pods to give us some real team speed. But I don't, Ozzie and Kenny do, so lets drop this idea Joe Crede would have made any impact on this series. Joe Crede made a choice to not risk further injury to his back entering an FA year. he made his choice, so the only alternative to Uribe is Fields.

BadBobbyJenks
10-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh, sorry about that. I has in a hateful mood. Sorry you caught some flak :gulp:

No worries I did use the word we in the post you quoted when that is not what I meant.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Can they outbid the Yankees though? That's the problem...

Yes.

hi im skot
10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I watched the first-half, too, when he put up a line of .217/.322/.368. That sucks. True, he had a great second-half, but what is more likely to be his true production ability, especially given 2007?

Oh yeah, and when PK is on the road, he puts up the horrendous line of .204/.295/.331. That also sucks. Intelligent enough for you skot?

Konerko was battling an injury for the entire first half. The Konerko we've seen over the past two months is the Konerko I expect to see in 2009, no matter which team he plays for.

I understand being frustrated with Konerko, but to say he "sucks" is plain brainless.

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 08:57 PM

Ding ding ding. Did I mention 'ding'?

Paulie being just a tick too quick/greedy on a couple of get-me-over pitches with bases juiced/no outs in the 1st ining... If either of his line-drive down LF line hits fair, Sox likely blow the game open, at last 3-4 score. Totally changes the complexion of the game - and with it Buerhle's pitching strategy, Rays hitters' comfort level, Maddon's decision-making, etc.

Tack on another 2-out RISP hit or two a few innings later, and it's the Sox that cruise to a comfortable win, not the Rays. Hell, I still think Game 1 was "winnable".

Playoff games in particular can turn on a dime. Unfortunately, Sox NOT being as fundamentally sound or as inspired or well-coached as the Rays cost them the series. Not talent level.

Is it over? No. Are Sox controlling their own destiny? Not anymore - it would take BOTH Sox playing up to their abilities and Rays choking Cub-esquely to advance.

More awful defense by the Sox tonight. Alexei alone cost 2 big runs. Postseason is unforgiving when it comes to that stuff.

PS. Longoria will get his hits, but you can't make Bartlett, Iwamura and rusty Crawford look like All-Stars. Cannot happen.

doublem23
Don't be a douche.

But then it wouldn't be so funny... LOL! :rolling:

Konerko missed a bases-clearing double in the 1st inning by literally 3 feet. :dunno: Some of you are too fickle to be baseball fans.

Paulie Walnuts hit .294/.405/.622 in August and September... One of the major reasons the Sox played today is #14. I'm not defending his performance today, but to lay it all on him is pretty low.

kitekrazy
Let's face it, the loss of three starters (Contreas, Quentin and Crede) has really hurt the Sox, especially during the playoffs. However, we've still got some good hitters on this team and they will start hitting.

My hope is that the fans really bring the noise during the homestand. The players really seem to respond to it.

Plus Thome and PK had off years.

guillensdisciple
10-03-2008, 08:58 PM
The top of the line- up will look completely different next year... expect a combo of Hudson/ Figgins or Hudson/ Roberts.

cnw8052
10-03-2008, 08:58 PM
IMO, Tony Gwynn is ANNOYING. He sounds like friggin SpongeBob.

If that isn't the biggest load of crap I've read in a long long time. I've never been a racist, and just because I think someone sounds ghetto does NOT mean I am a racist. His voice sounds like fingernails on a blackboard. It is incredibly hard to stand! And, for the record, I happen to enjoy listening to the voices of many black people including JD, Frank Thomas, and Tony Gwyn.

I hate the voices of Gail Fisher, Kerry Sayers and Suzy Kolberg too, does that make me a SEXIST?!

Konerko05
10-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry, but you stated Quentin and Crede in your prior post.

This was the conversation....

Stuck out looking way too many times today. It didn't help that White Sox hitters had one of the biggest strike zones I've seen. I mean it's pretty obvious whenever they go to the pitch tracker and the pitch is a ball by 6 inches.
The offense should have scored at least five runs of Kazmir in the first two innings. He should have never made it into the third.

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Think there will be any tickets outside the park on Sunday with the sox down 0-2? My son is home on leave from Iraq and would love to go.

kitekrazy

At one time in baseball, guys use to get benched for not running hard down to first.

doublem23

The Rays don't win because of their awesome offense, they win this year because they dropped their bullpen ERA by almost 2 1/2 runs. As for the Twins, um, they're watching the play-offs and had the 6th best record in the American League. Let's emulate them!

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 09:02 PM
At one time in baseball, guys use to get benched for not running hard down to first.

Dye won't be playing tomorrow I can tell you that much.

But seriously if this was the regular season I would wish very much Ozzie would sit Dye the next game because of that crap in the 9th.

BadBobbyJenks
10-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Epic call on the post game right now. Why didnt Thome bunt in the 7th or why didnt we pinch hit for him with some one who could....

TDog
10-03-2008, 09:03 PM
... Get his ghetto-sounding behind away from the broadcast booth!

I think Harold Reynolds is a solid, well-spoken analyst, even when he reaches conslusions on occasion contrary to my own. I would love to sit next to him at a baseball game.

I find your comment extremely offensive.

hi im skot
10-03-2008, 09:03 PM
But seriously if this was the regular season I would wish very much Ozzie would sit Dye the next game because of that crap in the 9th.

Really? Bartlett HAD the ball.

Amazing...

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Well you would have 23 roster spots to fill. That's a lot to fill. And you would be getting rid of Alexei, PK, AJ, and other important contributors on offense. Not a good thing in my mind.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Amazing...

I'm sorry. I did not see the play. All I heard was Farmer and Stone and they were both giving it to Dye really hard. I should probably have watched the play and judged for myself though. Sorry, just inferring off what I heard.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 09:06 PM

He sucked this year. Does that mean he will next year?

kevingrt
Epic call on the post game right now. Why didnt Thome bunt in the 7th or why didnt we pinch hit for him with some one who could....

I kinda wished he would have tried at least. He did try last Friday. Oh well, way too much to ask and I understand that unlike some people that call the postgame show.

Adele_H
And, for the record, I happen to enjoy listening to the voices of many black people including JD, Frank Thomas, and Tony Gwyn.

Hey, me too! I love Black voices.

Hell, I even have a friend who is one of them. :Rocker:

BadBobbyJenks

Amazing...

So Dye should not be running out ground balls in the 9th inning?

Edit: Ignore my stupidity

Medford Bobby
10-03-2008, 09:07 PM

Maybe I can see in NOT hustling in an early April game when the Sox are down 15 runs, but c'mon..it's a playoff game !!

Konerko05
I'm sorry. I did not see the play. All I heard was Farmer and Stone and they were both giving it to Dye really hard. I should probably have watched the play and judged for myself though. Sorry, just inferring off what I heard.

Farmer and Stone are absolutely right. Dye was in a perfect position to take out Bartlett.

Edit: I thought we were talking about Dye not breaking up the double play.

hi im skot

It's cool. I'm amazed that Farmer and Stone (who are 99.9% totally right about things like this) said that. Bartlett had the ball in his glove and it bounced out.

I get on guys for not hustling, and I didn't even think twice about Dye's line-drive.

hi im skot
10-03-2008, 09:08 PM
So Dye should not be running out ground balls in the 9th inning?

The ball was a ROCKET LINE DRIVE that WAS IN BARTLETT'S GLOVE.

Dye did absolutely nothing wrong.

Konerko05
10-03-2008, 09:08 PM

:rolling:

Medford Bobby
10-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I think Harold Reynolds is a solid, well-spoken analyst, even when he reaches conslusions on occasion contrary to my own. I would love to sit next to him at a baseball game.

I'd be a little nervous if he'd offered a strong hug.....:wink:

hi im skot

:rolling:

I'm glad someone went there!

BadBobbyJenks

My bad I must have been paying half attention:redface: I thought it was a grounder he booted. I agree with you knowing it was a line drive.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Dye won't be playing tomorrow I can tell you that much.

Really? So you are making the lineup now? Now we know who to bitch at when Wise is on the field.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 09:19 PM

When people make those statements they assume the OP is not black (most often they think they are white since only white folks can be racist). At their feeble attempt of political correctness they create a double standard.

Let's not let this crap get in the way of discussing baseball.

champagne030
10-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Really? So you are making the lineup now? Now we know who to bitch at when Wise is on the field.

I'll guarantee he's not playing tomorrow. Sunday? He's probably in the lineup. :cool:

TDog
10-03-2008, 09:23 PM

It would have been bad baseball to ask Thome to bunt in the seventh. Considering that he had singled in the first to drive in a run against a lefty he had never before had a hit against or even been walked by, pinch-hitting for him in the seventh, when he would be coming up in the ninth against a right-hander, wouldn't have been a correct move either.

The White Sox already had a runner in (theoretical) scoring position. After Thome made an out without advancing the runner, Ramirez made the second out of the inning on the infield. The run would not have scored. The Sox would have needed a hit to score in the inning. They didn't get it.

Thome, by the way, has one successful sacrifice bunt in his career. I have no idea when he last failed in a sacrifice attempt. He bunted on July 3, 1994, in Cleveland, in the seventh inning against the Twins. With the score tied at 7 in the 7th, Eddie Murray led off with a single against Mark Guthrie. Thome, who started the game at third base, bunted toward third. Chip Hale made an error, allowing Thome to reach. Sandy Alomar Jr. bunted toward Hale, presumably for a sacrifice, and got a hit. With the bases loaded, Paul Sorrento singled to right, scoring only run, but Thome scored on a Kenny Lofton sacrifice fly.

Fourteen years later and more than 500 home runs later, I don't see Thome as a successful sacrifice candidate with men on first and second on artificial turf.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 09:25 PM

Then you didn't see it.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I'll guarantee he's not playing tomorrow. Sunday? He's probably in the lineup. :cool:

LOL. Good one.

popilius
10-03-2008, 09:31 PM
A classical White Sox loss. Ugh.

True. . . this was a classic 2008 Chicago White Sox loss. . . I'm sure many of us could predict what would happen as the game went on because it was almost formulaic loss.

1. We take an early-game mini-lead.
2. We get a few guys on but can't get a runner in from second or third, usually with two outs. (We get hits but our middle-order guys can't score from second or can't go from 1st to 3rd)
3. Step two repeats for 5 or 6 innings.
4. Our starter or newly implanted reliever does o.k., but the opposing team takes the lead by a few runs.
5. In the 7th or 8th inning, we have a golden opportunity to score, but blow it.
6. We score one or two runs in the last time at bat, but not quite enough.
So, in order to win, we have to hit homeruns early and throughout the game. I'm confident that winning 2 in Chicago is very possible because of this, . . . it's just the way our team is built.

Let's get'em Sunday, Danks!

:gulp:

hi im skot
10-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Then you didn't see it.

I guess my guide dog lied to me, then.

champagne030
10-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Thome, by the way, has one successful sacrifice bunt in his career. I have no idea when he last failed in a sacrifice attempt. He bunted on July 3, 1994, in Cleveland, in the seventh inning against the Twins. With the score tied at 7 in the 7th, Eddie Murray led off with a single against Mark Guthrie. Thome, who started the game at third base, bunted toward third. Chip Hale made an error, allowing Thome to reach. Sandy Alomar Jr. bunted toward Hale, presumably for a sacrifice, and got a hit. With the bases loaded, Paul Sorrento singled to right, scoring only run, but Thome scored on a Kenny Lofton sacrifice fly.

Fourteen years later and more than 500 home runs later, I don't see Thome as a successful sacrifice candidate with men on first and second on artificial turf.

He failed at a bunt attempt last weekend, I believe. Anyway, it's been in the last 10 days. I've advocated him laying one down with the shift, but after I saw his attempt he should never attempt to bunt again this year.

That said, it's pretty ****ing pathetic that someone in the league for 14 years cannot perform a simple fundamental aspect of the game.

cnw8052
10-03-2008, 09:34 PM
That looks like a perfect recap of things how I've seen it all season.

True. . . this was a classic 2008 Chicago White Sox loss. . . I'm sure many of us could predict what would happen as the game went on because it was almost formulaic loss.

1. We take an early-game mini-lead.
2. We get a few guys on but can't get a runner in from second or third, usually with two outs. (We get hits but our middle-order guys can't score from second or can't go from 1st to 3rd)
3. Step two repeats for 5 or 6 innings.
4. Our starter or newly implanted reliever does o.k., but the opposing team takes the lead by a few runs.
5. In the 7th or 8th inning, we have a golden opportunity to score, but blow it.
6. We score one or two runs in the last time at bat, but not quite enough.
So, in order to win, we have to hit homeruns early and throughout the game. I'm confident that winning 2 in Chicago is very possible because of this, . . . it's just the way our team is built.

Let's get'em Sunday, Danks!

:gulp:

alohafri
10-03-2008, 09:38 PM
I guess I will be saving a sick day on Monday.

veeter
10-03-2008, 09:39 PM
The Sox have been horrible on the road all year. Although frustrating, it's not unexpected. I'm having a lot of fun watching and I don't want it to end. We'll get 'em Sunday.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Looking at ESPN's top performers, it's hard to believe Dye went 4 for 5.

JB98
10-03-2008, 09:48 PM
He failed at a bunt attempt last weekend, I believe. Anyway, it's been in the last 10 days. I've advocated him laying one down with the shift, but after I saw his attempt he should never attempt to bunt again this year.

That said, it's pretty ****ing pathetic that someone in the league for 14 years cannot perform a simple fundamental aspect of the game.

Not this **** again.

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I guess my guide dog lied to me, then.

And you believed them when they told you it was a dog.:rolleyes:

kitekrazy
10-03-2008, 09:54 PM

It seems he doesn't hit when there are guys on base.

GoGoCrede
10-03-2008, 09:55 PM
It seems he doesn't hit when there are guys on base.

Exactly. I can't count the number of times we got good hits with two outs and nobody on.

Frankfan4life
10-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Plus Thome and PK had off years.That's why the loss of Quentin was so devastating. He took a lot of pressure off the other players. It's going to be interesting to see what type of season this team has next year. I have high hopes that the acquisition of a few key players will get us back into the playoffs. But I'm not ready to give up on this season yet. As long as we're still in it, I still have hope.

champagne030
10-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Not this **** again.

What ****? I'm advocating he shouldn't bunt.

JB98
10-03-2008, 10:00 PM
What ****? I'm advocating he shouldn't bunt.

You're bitching about power hitters not being able to bunt.

WhiteSox5187
10-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Well...when we only scored two in the first I had a sinking feeling. At the end of the day we are still capable of winning three games in a row and we've been here before. Let's pull another rabbit out of our hat.

turners56
10-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Yeah, he had 4 singles...

Our entire team had 12 singles. Bravo big sluggers. You sure ate your breakfasts today. Who took the Wheaties from the buffet this morning? Iwamura might of had too much.

turners56
10-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Well...when we only scored two in the first I had a sinking feeling. At the end of the day we are still capable of winning three games in a row and we've been here before. Let's pull another rabbit out of our hat.

Same here. The lead never felt safe. It just seemed like one of those games where a good starter struggles early and we fail to jump on him.

Vernam
10-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Aggravating game, obviously . . . Given how many bases-loaded opportunities we've squandered this year, I was actually relieved to get those two runs. But as things turned out, that was ye olde ballgame.

Maybe it's also stating the obvious, but the Sox are a seriously weird team. They often look over-matched at the plate, yet they manage to stay competitive in most games. Usually, when they lose, you can't help thinking they should've won. Saying that they depend on homers is a little too easy. It's worse than that. They've got some guys who are close to totally unproductive at the plate. You know who I mean.

Then, when the team does hit, our bullpen has trouble holding leads. Is it just me, or does the Sox's pitching seem solid when they're not hitting, but then it's crappy when the hitters actually score some runs? It's strangely rare that the pitching and hitting both suck at the same time. I guess that's the definition of a middling team.

And yet, here they are in the playoffs. A couple of wins at home sounds completely plausible after what happened earlier in the week. I'm not counting on it, but it sure wouldn't surprise me, either. Nothing surprises me at this point.

It's hard to avoid thinking how the team could be improved next year, but it's not time for that yet. Hopefully some urgency kicks in one last time on Sunday and we find a way to advance for Thome and Griffey.

Vernam

LongLiveFisk
10-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Once again the Sox have to win 3 in a row to survive. I usually have faith but right now it doesn't look good because they must win in a dome to get to the next round. I don't know what it is about domes but the Sox are putrid playing in them. Anyone have the win-loss stats on that for this season?

LoveYourSuit
10-03-2008, 11:07 PM
I thought I could let the regular season rest once we clinched since I was confident we could steal just one miserable ROAD game of the two up there in TB, but we didn't.

We saw this back in June when this team could not play dead on the road.

For this reason, getting at least one of the home field bids for this particular ball club was going to be crucial down the stretch.

Blame a quick exit of the post season on what I consider a pitiful regular season, especially given the opportunity to feast on AL Central competition all season.

LoveYourSuit
10-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Once again the Sox have to win 3 in a row to survive. I usually have faith but right now it doesn't look good because they must win in a dome to get to the next round. I don't know what it is about domes but the Sox are putrid playing in them. Anyone have the win-loss stats on that for this season?

The 3 teams we beat:

Cle - Bad + missed the AL CY Young Award winner this year and instead faced another no name.
Det - Bad + 1 foot on the golf course when we played them and faced a guy on a rehab flipper (Freddy)
Min - Bad + played them at our own yard where they suck outside the Dome and barely escaped with a 1-0 win

TB is a REAL Baseball Team. Winning 3 straight from them it's like me throwing a rock right now and hoping for it to land on the moon.

voodoochile
10-03-2008, 11:21 PM
The 3 teams we beat:

Cle - Bad + missed the AL CY Young Award winner this year and instead faced another no name.
Det - Bad + 1 foot on the golf course when we played them and faced a guy on a rehab flipper (Freddy)
Min - Bad + played them at our own yard where they suck outside the Dome and barely escaped with a 1-0 win

TB is a REAL Baseball Team. Winning 3 straight from them it's like me throwing a rock right now and hoping for it to land on the moon.

No what the rock thing is impossible. The Sox sweeping three straight from TB is merely improbable.

But it isn't supposed to be easy to beat a talented hungry well coached team at their home ballpark. Win Sunday and see how it goes. Sox haven't lost an elimination game yet in 2008 no reason to think they'll start tomorrow...

LoveYourSuit
10-03-2008, 11:28 PM
No what the rock thing is impossible. The Sox sweeping three straight from TB is merely improbable.

But it isn't supposed to be easy to beat a talented hungry well coached team at their home ballpark. Win Sunday and see how it goes. Sox haven't lost an elimination game yet in 2008 no reason to think they'll start tomorrow...

I think we will hit both Sunday and Monday by default because of it being our own ballpark. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Danks and Gavin don't end up having a "young arm meltdown" seeing themselves behind the 8 ball.

Also, can anyone look up to see how many times TB got swept this year and by who? I don't think they had many.

kidmccarthy
10-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Suprisingly I'm still not mad. Tonight though, I am disappointed. We needed to win one there to realistically have a chance. We didn't so we will have a hard time pulling this one out. Konerko and Uribe really hurt us tonight, and Ozzie left Mark in an inning too long. Lets hope we win 1 or 2 at the cell to at least represent the city of Chicago better than the other team has...

LoveYourSuit
10-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Suprisingly I'm still not mad. Tonight though, I am disappointed. We needed to win one there to realistically have a chance. We didn't so we will have a hard time pulling this one out. Konerko and Uribe really hurt us tonight, and Ozzie left Mark in an inning too long. Lets hope we win 1 or 2 at the cell to at least represent the city of Chicago better than the other team has...

Watching Uribe this series reminds me of why I don't want him being part of our starting line up in 2009.

Bench player all day for me, not a starter.

hi im skot
10-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Then you didn't see it.

I think there's some confusion. I'm referring to the ball that Dye hit, not Konerko's weak ground ball.

slowlearner
10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
It is what it is. This is just what the Sox are. We can't expect them to all of a sudden change simply because they made the playoffs. They were flawed in May, they were flawed in July, and they're flawed in October. Simple as that.

Maybe they light a fire and come back Sunday. I sure hope so. I would really, really love to see it. Odds are it doesn't happen.

Thanks for a (much) better than expected run this year fellas, come back and get 'em in '09.

RadioheadRocks
10-03-2008, 11:43 PM
It is what it is. This is just what the Sox are. We can't expect them to all of a sudden change simply because they made the playoffs. They were flawed in May, they were flawed in July, and they're flawed in October. Simple as that.

Maybe they light a fire and come back Sunday. I sure hope so. I would really, really love to see it. Odds are it doesn't happen.

Thanks for a (much) better than expected run this year fellas, come back and get 'em in '09.

My sentiments exactly.

Hitmen77
10-03-2008, 11:53 PM

I agree.

It would be nice to get a win on Sunday so that at least we don't go "3 and out", but the Rays are just showing us what we already know - that they're a better team. While I'm unhappy that we're down 0-2, I'm ticked off as I was at this point in 2000 or as I would have been if we got to this point in 2005 because this team is playing as I expected.

We get the 1st 2 batters of the game to score and then shut down. We leave 12 LOB. This is typical Sox offense....anyone who is surprised by this is fooling themselves. I'm glad for the Division title, but we're being outmatched here. Here's to an improved team in '09.

Hendu
10-04-2008, 12:00 AM

Agreed, but maybe they have one more hot streak left in them. :praying:

PhillipsBubba
10-04-2008, 12:00 AM
"The White Sox are who we thought they were....":(:

slavko
10-04-2008, 12:08 AM

If the extent of his "ghetto" speech is failure to use the word "an" where appropriate, then he's well-spoken. He's a good analyst, but missed a few things I commented on in other threads. Not the best I ever heard, but OK. I think he was he canned from ESPN. Why?

BadBobbyJenks
10-04-2008, 12:16 AM
If the extent of his "ghetto" speech is failure to use the word "an" where appropriate, then he's well-spoken. He's a good analyst, but missed a few things I commented on in other threads. Not the best I ever heard, but OK. I think he was he canned from ESPN. Why?

The answer (http://deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php)

Parrothead
10-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Well that sucked but I knew when Dotel came in that run was going to score. Anyway, Welcome to Chicago baseball symmetry. At least the Sox may last longer than the Cubs (just because of scheduling).

Edit: Just went back and read some of the thread. The game was not lost due to the home plate ump. He was bad for both teams. Was anyone hear bitching when the first base ump blew the call on Dye? The Sox got beat by a better team. Will the Sox come back and win the series, unlikely but it is possible just as long Javy and the bullpen does not see the mound.

IronFisk
10-04-2008, 12:44 AM
It's your 2008 Chicago White Sox...get em' on, move em' over...and keep em' there!

Meh.

guillensdisciple
10-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Let me explain to all of you why the White Sox will make this game interesting....

BULLPEN!!!

The Rays bullpen has pitched consecutive games against the sox, and the sox have gotten a good handle on their pitching. Add that to the fact that they are playing in the BLACKOUT and these Rays are going to have a hell of a time here in Chicago.

As A.J. said... welcome to real baseball ****ers!

Adele_H
10-04-2008, 01:41 AM

I am curious: does AJ say that before or after a triple steal by Upton-Crawford-Longoria is perpetrated... while AJ is too busy trying to trash-talk the hitter at bat?

Anywho. This is classic "so close yet so far" divisional series. With a better hitting coach, Sox win if not both then certainly one game in Tampa. Shields was hittable and Scott Kazmir might as well been named Scott Schoenweiss in the early going. Damn shame, if you ask me.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Earth to AJ: You'll have to go back to Tampa for another game if you can tie this series up.

The station-to-station baseball is KILLING this team. They have no offensive catalyst whatsoever. In 2005, it was Scott Podsednik, and he did a damn great job at creating havoc for opposing pitchers in more than one way. If only we had someone like that THIS year. It's the "get em on and aim for the fences" instead of trying to find crafty ways of scoring that has been sickening for great portions of the entire season.

It's frustrating.

Adele_H
10-04-2008, 01:44 AM
"The White Sox are who we thought they were....":(:

Shouldn't it be "the Rays are who we thought they were"?

Adele_H
10-04-2008, 01:50 AM
. It's the "get em on and aim for the fences" instead of trying to find crafty ways of scoring that has been sickening for great portions of the entire season.

Good illustration: Navarro's AB with RISP vs. Uribe's AB with bases loaded.

Navarro calmly punches a mediocre fastball on the outer third of the plate to the opposite field for an RBI. Uribe? Practically same pitch, same location but there's the tazmanian devil trying to hook it. Strike-out courtesy of an awkward looking waive of a swing, with the bat seemingly in a different zip code from the ball.