PDA

View Full Version : Twinkies interested in Orlando Cabrera?

scarsofthumper
10-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Twins Interested In Orlando Cabrera (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/twins-intereste.html)

By Tim Dierkes [October 3 at 4:27pm CST]
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune (http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/christensen/2008/10/03/offseason-target-series-leading-off-orlando-cabrera/), the Twins are interested in free agent shortstop Orlando Cabrera. Christensen guesses Cabrera could receive a three-year, $30MM contract this winter.
Cabrera, 34 in November, hit .281/.334/.371 in 730 plate appearances. He has a reputation as a strong defensive shortstop, though the plus/minus system (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/the-plusminus-s.html) says he made just one more play than the average shortstop this year. He's much better on balls hit to his left than his right.
I like that the Twins seem willing to throw around a little cash, but Cabrera seems a questionable target. Rafael Furcal is risky too, but at least there's upside.

btrain929
10-03-2008, 06:39 PM
We hate the Twins. We hate Cabrera. Match made in heaven. I'd look forward to seeing JD go into 2nd spikes up breaking up a double play....

Brian26
10-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Twins Interested In Orlando Cabrera (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/twins-intereste.html)

You may want to delete all of the copied text. I usually wouldn't make a point of this, but I loathe the website that Dierkes is associated with.

Bobby Jenks
10-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Twins wouldn't give a 34 year old that kind of money. Or anyone for that matter

Lip Man 1
10-03-2008, 09:33 PM
They can have him and his issues. I'll take the two draft picks thank you.

Lip

turners56
10-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Since when did Pohlad find $10 million out of his pocket?

soxinem1
10-03-2008, 09:44 PM
They can have him and his issues. I'll take the two draft picks thank you.

Lip

Ditto. May he enjoy playing on turf another year that is worse than it was in MTL.

Foulke You
10-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Twins wouldn't give a 34 year old that kind of money. Or anyone for that matter
I agree. This doesn't seem to be the Twins style. When have they ever signed a top tier free agent? Why would they start doing it now and why for an aging Orlando Cabrera? I know I wouldn't spend $30 million over 3 years for him. They can have him at that price.

DumpJerry
10-03-2008, 10:28 PM
You may want to delete all of the copied text. I usually wouldn't make a point of this, but I loathe the website that Dierkes is associated with.
This is not copyrighted text. There is no (c) designation anywhere on the link that I could see.

champagne030
10-03-2008, 10:42 PM
He thought it was cold here? Wait until the 2nd year of his contract kicks in and he's playing outdoors up 'der.

I'd be pretty desperate if Nick ****ing Punto was my SS too, but this doesn't seem like their style.

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 11:58 PM
We hate the Twins. We hate Cabrera. Match made in heaven. I'd look forward to seeing JD go into 2nd spikes up breaking up a double play....

JD breaking up a double play? Wait was he not suppose to do that tonight?

btrain929
10-04-2008, 12:05 AM
JD breaking up a double play? Wait was he not suppose to do that tonight?

Yeah no **** that was pathetic. But if OC was turning it I'm prettttty sure he'd have a little bit more motivation...

Bobby Jenks
10-04-2008, 12:10 AM
I agree. This doesn't seem to be the Twins style. When have they ever signed a top tier free agent? Why would they start doing it now and why for an aging Orlando Cabrera? I know I wouldn't spend $30 million over 3 years for him. They can have him at that price.

I work with Twins fans and they say the Twins have some kids coming up next year. A power hitting 3rd baseman and a SS as well. Plouffe and Hughes are the names. Don't have the numbers on them,but thats all i have heard since Tuesday,wait until next year.

pipdipchip
10-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Since when did Pohlad find $10 million out of his pocket?

Pohlad promised to use some of the profits from the new ballpark to increase salaries. It's unknown how much he'll increase them.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Pohlad promised to use some of the profits from the new ballpark to increase salaries. It's unknown how much he'll increase them.And it probably won't be known until it is known how much revenues increase because of the new park.

MeteorsSox4367
10-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Enjoy Minneapolis, Orlando. Say hi to Lou Grant and Ted Baxter for me.

btrain929
10-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I work with Twins fans and they say the Twins have some kids coming up next year. A power hitting 3rd baseman and a SS as well. Plouffe and Hughes are the names. Don't have the numbers on them,but thats all i have heard since Tuesday,wait until next year.

Hughes numbers were OK in AA, nothing special in AAA. And Plouffe doesn't look to have hit better than .270 the past 2 years. Neither of them are SB threats. But most Twins players don't look good on paper, they just magically produce.

whitesox901
10-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Let him go, it'll be like being with the Montreal Expos for him agian playing in the dome with turf, dunno if thats good or not though.

LoveYourSuit
10-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Cabrera will be a .300+ hitter in that place.

That stadium and team concept suits him very good.

WhiteSoxOnly
10-04-2008, 04:42 PM

Yeah and they also have a direct line from the dugout to the
press box.

turners56
10-04-2008, 04:58 PM

He likes hitting ground balls. So yes, that's a great place for him. Now...how many times will he **** up on defense on the faster turf? He's already done it there a couple of times in the 9 games we played there.

johnnyg83
10-04-2008, 05:03 PM
He seems like a bad fit for that clubhouse ... any clubhouse really.

Thank God the Twins don't spend money ... they'd be an unstoppable blend of system, free agents and horseshoes up their asses.

Foulke You
10-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Now...how many times will he **** up on defense on the faster turf? He's already done it there a couple of times in the 9 games we played there.
Good point. Orlando's defense was not nearly as good as advertised. I had high hopes with him coming in as a gold glove winner and hyped as this slick fielding shortstop. Don't get me wrong, Cabrera hasn't been horrible out there at SS this year, he has just been very average which isn't what I thought we were getting. Not sure what the reason is for his defensive decline this year. Perhaps he never was that good or perhaps it is just age catching up with him.

turners56
10-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Good point. Orlando's defense was not nearly as good as advertised. I had high hopes with him coming in as a gold glove winner and hyped as this slick fielding shortstop. Don't get me wrong, Cabrera hasn't been horrible out there at SS this year, he has just been very average which isn't what I thought we were getting. Not sure what the reason is for his defensive decline this year. Perhaps he never was that good or perhaps it is just age catching up with him.

His plus/minus rating is only +1. He's been barely above average this year.