PDA

View Full Version : Game 3 and 4 "Rolling Blackout"

salty99
10-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Brooks was on the Score and said to continue wearing black at games 3 and 4 and called it the rolling blackout. He also said white rally towels will be given out.

EndemicSox
10-03-2008, 03:53 PM
:gulp:

T-Bag
10-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Sweet. White towels on a black sea of shirts will look cool.

gogosox16
10-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I will be there for game 4 if the Sox have any say and winning a game:gulp:

RTI_SoxFan
10-03-2008, 03:57 PM
I really liked the black towels... went along with the black out theme.

T-Bag
10-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I really liked the black towels... went along with the black out theme.

True but could barely see them on TV or I was just too drunk :redneck

sox1970
10-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I guess it's ok just as long as you folks going Sunday remember that Tuesday's game was the original and the best crowd ever at the Cell. :D:

downstairs
10-03-2008, 04:07 PM
They should do all black (black towels) during the day.

At night, the white towels would be better. The place looked dead on TV, especially if you were watching with no sound (I was at a bar).

btrain929
10-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I guess it's ok just as long as you folks going Sunday remember that Tuesday's game was the original and the best crowd ever at the Cell. :D:

+1. :gulp:

Palehose Pete
10-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Best. Idea. Ever.

JackK
10-03-2008, 04:23 PM

At night, the white towels would be better. The place looked dead on TV, especially if you were watching with no sound (I was at a bar).

Thats why you should go to the games instead of watching it at a bar. :cool:

I want Mags back
10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Sweet. White towels on a black sea of shirts will look cool.

i was thinking the same thing. the all black looked so much like empty seats, and the towels were somewhat hard to see on TV. But white on black will look sweet

kevingrt
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Dead? Really. I remember being up on my feet all the time. You are the first person I have read or talked to that described the Cell on Tuesday as "dead." Really?

VenturaFan23
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Everyone I've talked to said the "blackout" on TV looked amazing. Glad I was a part of it! I'll be there Sunday and the white towels with the black attire should look even better!

"BLACKENED!" :Rocker:

DaveFeelsRight
10-03-2008, 04:39 PM
pretty good

3rdgensoxfan
10-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Watching it on TV, I thought it looked great. I thought it was cool because the faces in the crowd really jumped out at you. In fact, it was kind of creepy.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Watching it on TV, I thought it looked great. I thought it was cool because the faces in the crowd really jumped out at you. In fact, it was kind of creepy.
Like this?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5950&stc=1&d=1223071841
http://quemaster.com/queen/images/queen1.jpg

Elgin Sox Fan
10-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Agreed, also like Lawrence on the score said hope the MLB "corporate" ticket holders get into it or it won't come close to the original. Brooks should have some kind of black coverups for them

Jerko
10-03-2008, 05:04 PM
*** it was special the first time because it was the FIRST TIME. I'll wear black on Sunday but if they keep doing this it kind of diminishes the original event IMO.

Desert Rat
10-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Blackout looked great on TV.
How annoying are those stupid little cow bells?
(sorry if this has already been addressed)

Frankfan4life
10-03-2008, 08:30 PM
*** it was special the first time because it was the FIRST TIME. I'll wear black on Sunday but if they keep doing this it kind of diminishes the original event IMO.It was special the first time because it worked. I like the idea only for the playoffs. Maybe if we get to the playoffs more often, then it will get old. Until that happens, I lke the idea and and I think it helps unite the crowd.

Unfortunately, my golden tones won't be heard this time because I couldn't get playoff tickets. :whiner:

EuroSox35
10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Sox crowd needs to be just like Tuesday. They have to be all out on every pitch. Forget about where the series stands, no 'nervous air' like you saw in other stadiums in the city...I do believe that does filter down to the players...

Game 3, we got another good lefty going, at home, and Garza at our stadium shouldn't shut us down (*knock on wood* ?)...

RadioheadRocks
10-03-2008, 09:35 PM
i was thinking the same thing. the all black looked so much like empty seats, and the towels were somewhat hard to see on TV. But white on black will look sweet

:rolleyes:

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Do not go down without major fan effort to carrry this team.
I like it...anything to fire up that crowd and pick the team up.
Be a madhouse....just nuts, like Tuesday...go out in a blaze of black....

Mr.Creosote
10-03-2008, 10:36 PM
It won't be the same... here's why...

Brooks' announcement on the 'Score was heard by maybe , what, 8000 fans that are going to the games? And part of the tickets for Sunday's game are reserved for Rays' fans?

Tuesday's game was so successful because Hawk and Farmio and the 'Cell announcer were relentless in promoting it the night before. Keep in mind tickets for Tuesdays game were almost all White Sox fans to buy. Season Ticket holders had no privileges at all. That alone kept a lot of "out of town" fans out of the game. The 'Cell was almost FULL of real Sox fans that night.

Sunday's game is a day game. It won't look the same at all. The people that are saying it looked empty should get a better TV. I saw it on a big HD set and it looked AWESOME. Seeing only the faces of people did, indeed, make it look a little creepy. The waving of the black towels only added to the effect.

White towels will just dilute the effect. If it's going to be a "black-out", it should be ALL black.

Since all the play-off and W.S. games are nationally televised, there will always be the "Chad & Trixie"s that will think "I'll stand out much better on TV if I wear something different than what everybody else will be wearing". It's not a "Wrigley only" phenemenom. It happens every time a game is on national TV.

Frankfan4life
10-03-2008, 10:57 PM
It won't be the same... here's why...

Brooks' announcement on the 'Score was heard by maybe , what, 8000 fans that are going to the games? And part of the tickets for Sunday's game are reserved for Rays' fans?

Tuesday's game was so successful because Hawk and Farmio and the 'Cell announcer were relentless in promoting it the night before. Keep in mind tickets for Tuesdays game were almost all White Sox fans to buy. Season Ticket holders had no privileges at all. That alone kept a lot of "out of town" fans out of the game. The 'Cell was almost FULL of real Sox fans that night.

Sunday's game is a day game. It won't look the same at all. The people that are saying it looked empty should get a better TV. I saw it on a big HD set and it looked AWESOME. Seeing only the faces of people did, indeed, make it look a little creepy. The waving of the black towels only added to the effect.

White towels will just dilute the effect. If it's going to be a "black-out", it should be ALL black.

Since all the play-off and W.S. games are nationally televised, there will always be the "Chad & Trixie"s that will think "I'll stand out much better on TV if I wear something different than what everybody else will be wearing". It's not a "Wrigley only" phenemenom. It happens every time a game is on national TV.Gee, thanks for the big downer. :(: However, you did make some good points. I also don't like the white towel idea (it's been done before and I think that the black towels were more effective, almost eerie. I also agree that there will be some fans who will purposefully ruin the effect because of their own selfish need to be "different," but I don't believe they'll make that big of a difference.

The most important thing is to get up and open your mouths. Fan support is a huge part of what homefield advantage is all about.

Hey, I wonder if someone can get the "nana" to sport some black too? :bandance:

Harry Potter
10-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Season Ticket holders had no privileges at all. .

Um, yes we did

Mr.Creosote
10-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Gee, thanks for the big downer. :(: Fan support is a huge part of what homefield advantage is all about.

I'm not trying to be a downer...I'm trying to be realistic.

I've been going to 10-18 games a year for almost 30 years. Four years ago we got a "share" of season tickets (sec.140). We had 18 games this year.

You wouldn't believe what I see. Not once, in 18 games, did the same people sit alongside, or in front, or in back of us. This is right behind the Sox dugout. I would assume, yes I know about assumptions..., that these seats would most likely be all held by other season ticket holders. Hardly any of these people actually got "into" the game.

My point is...I'll stand as much, if not longer, and yell as loud as you, but the few hundred people on this board aren't typical of the rest of the "fans" at an average game anymore.

GlassSox
10-03-2008, 11:47 PM
It was indeed special to be at USCF Tuesday night.

I am looking forward to being there Sunday & Monday, in black, and so I'll wave a black and a white towel. Whatever it takes to help get it done.

Quentin08
10-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm kicking myself for not going to the game on Tuesday. I tried to get tickets online, after a couple minutes I got a pair for $31 each in the upper deck, I asked my girlfriend 'should I purchase these?' And she said 'nah let's just watch it at home and save $65.' At the time I agreed it was a better idea to save the $ and watch it on tv, but now I'm regretting it bigtime. :whiner:

Speaking of Game 3 and 4, when did tickets go on sale for these games? Why was there no big official announcement? I think this was the first year where one of the biggest stories, "Playoff Tickets Go on Sale", never made it to the news. I thought this was really strange.. usually the news reports this as the top story, they announce what day and time, and then how fast it sold out. This year.. nada. :o: What's going on?

btrain929
10-04-2008, 08:50 AM
I agree the Sox fans there on Tuesday were all into it. Although my row was filled with people that were just casual friends that just "came with people" or "got free tickets from someone." I had an aisle seat, and I'd say in the first 3 innings, I had to get up every 30 seconds to let someone walk in and out of the row. It was getting ridiculous. With the magnitutde of this game, I can't understand the mindframe of wanting to leave your seat that much.

So finally I snapped in about the 4th inning when there was a stretch where everytime I sat, about 6 times in a row, someone else was coming or leaving. So right in the middle of Danks' delivery, some chick tries to barrel through the aisle, saying "excuse me" but not waiting for me to let her through. So I stuck my hand out and said "hold on". Danks threw the pitch, it was a groundout, and I told her "if you guys are gonna keep doing this ****, at least wait until the pitch is thrown or in between at bats." She went, told her bf who didn't do ****, along with all her friends.

About 1 min later, another one of their friends was coming back, and someone signaled to her to come around me and step over a seat to get back in the row, rather then make me get up again. From the 4th - 9th inning, only 1 more person left the row in my direction.

Victory is mine :D:. Now hopefully I don't have to deal with the same **** on Sunday.

tick53
10-04-2008, 08:51 AM
OK with me, I dug the first one. Now let's WIN the damn thing.

rocky biddle
10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
The World Series games had a lot of corporate and non-Sox fan attendees, and it was still pretty frickin' loud. I know it won't be the same as Tuesday, but it's worth a shot. Luckily black is one of the 3 colors that I own, so it won't be too hard for me to participate.

Maybe the Sunday papers will feature 'Sox Pride Blackout' inserts for fans to bring to the game...

Edit- Had to change the teal because the Sunday Trib actually does have a Sox Blackout insert.

whitesox901
10-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Gotta love rolling Blackouts :cool:

Sad
10-04-2008, 11:03 AM
It was indeed special to be at USCF Tuesday night.

I am looking forward to being there Sunday & Monday, in black, and so I'll wave a black and a white towel. Whatever it takes to help get it done.

me too
and my jalapeno-cheddar brats from Vitale's :D:

chisoxmike
10-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Meh.

It was great on Tuesday. But now, being down 0-2, during a day game...:scratch:

Frankfan4life
10-04-2008, 01:02 PM
I agree the Sox fans there on Tuesday were all into it. Although my row was filled with people that were just casual friends that just "came with people" or "got free tickets from someone." I had an aisle seat, and I'd say in the first 3 innings, I had to get up every 30 seconds to let someone walk in and out of the row. It was getting ridiculous. With the magnitutde of this game, I can't understand the mindframe of wanting to leave your seat that much.

So finally I snapped in about the 4th inning when there was a stretch where everytime I sat, about 6 times in a row, someone else was coming or leaving. So right in the middle of Danks' delivery, some chick tries to barrel through the aisle, saying "excuse me" but not waiting for me to let her through. So I stuck my hand out and said "hold on". Danks threw the pitch, it was a groundout, and I told her "if you guys are gonna keep doing this ****, at least wait until the pitch is thrown or in between at bats." She went, told her bf who didn't do ****, along with all her friends.

About 1 min later, another one of their friends was coming back, and someone signaled to her to come around me and step over a seat to get back in the row, rather then make me get up again. From the 4th - 9th inning, only 1 more person left the row in my direction.

Victory is mine :D:. Now hopefully I don't have to deal with the same **** on Sunday.I don't understand the get up out of your seat every 5 minutes attitude either. I made one trip to get something to eat and drink and that was in between innings. After that I was totally into the game. My seats were dead in the middle of the row so I knew getting up and down wasn't something I wanted to do too many times. When you're in a big crowd like that, you have to count on there being some jerks so some extra tolerance is necessary. I was constantly getting hit by a towel by a girl in front of me (and she didn't wear black either) but, hey, at least she was waving the towel and I didn't want to kill the mood so I just ignored it.

The only thing that should matter is what's on the field. For most of us, there's no reason not be there early tomorrow. My suggestion is to get your food and drink of choice before the game and then buy the rest from the vendors and only go to the bathroom during breaks in the action.

35th&Shields
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM

I agree. I think the reason it was the best crowd ever is because there weren't as many corporate seats or people "borrowing" some season ticket holder's tickets. Every single seat was filled with someone who cared enough to get in line to get a ticket or sweat it out over the Internet. That probably added 10,000 "true" fans into the stadium as opposed to the average playoff game or the World Series which I'm convinced was overwhelmingly corporate tickets outside of the season ticket holders. Everyone I know who went either had season tickets or went through some corporate sponsor. And every single person I know that went with a corporate sponsor couldn't have really cared about the White Sox, they just wanted to see a World Series game.

Siestaclaud
10-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Just FYI - full season ticket holders got their regular tickets to the Tuesday game. They came with the playoff tickets.

Partial season ticket holders did not.

EVERY season ticket holder that I know in my section was there - standing the entire game - wearing black - and screaming their heads off on every pitch - just like in 2005........

I expect all of them to be back on Sunday - full force!:bandance:

Alexei4president
10-04-2008, 08:50 PM
is this a fact or did someone just sart this rumor im gonna wear black in case but im just wonderin

anewman35
10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
is this a fact or did someone just sart this rumor im gonna wear black in case but im just wonderin

It's a fact.

Sort of off topic, but I don't understand why people always ask things like this instead of checking Whitesox.com. Many of the questions people ask over and over (prices, times, etc) are posted there.

Alexei4president
10-04-2008, 09:07 PM
sorry bro dang, im new here

RadioheadRocks
10-06-2008, 03:22 AM
... and the blackout rolls on to Game #4!!! :bandance:

EuroSox35
10-06-2008, 03:51 AM
The Sun-Times continues it's constant jabs at the Sox, saying 'Sox fans were dressed for a funeral again'

RadioheadRocks
10-06-2008, 04:23 AM
The Sun-Times continues it's constant jabs at the Sox, saying 'Sox fans were dressed for a funeral again'

Hey Sun-Times... compare those crowds with the two shell-shocked full houses at Wrigley last week then get back with me.

esbrechtel
10-06-2008, 08:13 AM
The park looked great again last night and the white towels with the blackout were one of the coolest looking things I have seen in sports...

Law11
10-06-2008, 08:18 AM
I got some great pics from the game last night I'll have to post them later today. The see of white towels kind of made the "blackout" unseen but still very cool.

tonyho7476
10-06-2008, 09:41 AM
This black-out stuff has been so fun. I have been at the last three home games and what a time I have had. Let's keep it going.

:bandance:

btrain929
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
The whole game was fun and everyone was into it, but the 9th inning, I swear every single towel was in the air. That HAS to mess with the hitters....

Captain Karko
10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
This black-out stuff has been so fun. I have been at the last three home games and what a time I have had. Let's keep it going.

:bandance:

Totally. This Blackout idea has been awesome.