PDA

View Full Version : Want to ask Brian Anderson a question?

jennk44
10-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Looks like BA has a new Postseason Blog - http://banderson.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/10/a_quiet_game_1_loss.html
-
I wish more players took the time to let us know whats going on!

:dtroll:

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-02-2008, 10:21 PM
very very neat!

Daver
10-02-2008, 10:40 PM
It's an MLB sponsored TV promotion, I wouldn't expect anything above vanilla from it.

BoysMom3
10-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I have one very burning question for Brian - why did you cut off your gorgeous curls dammit?!!!

DaveFeelsRight
10-02-2008, 11:03 PM
i think i will ask him about frank tv

Bucky F. Dent
10-02-2008, 11:16 PM
I've got a question for BA. CF is wide open for this team next year. What are you going to do during the offseason to make it yours?

voodoochile
10-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Dear Brian,
Will you ever learn to hit a curve ball?

Heck, will you ever learn to hit at all?

Love that defense, but how can we afford to play you when you swing such a weak stick?

:tomatoaward:

EuroSox35
10-02-2008, 11:24 PM
That's pretty cool, thanks for the link

Daver
10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Love that defense, but how can we afford to play you when you swing such a weak stick?

Yeah, that guy making league minimum is to much to pay to keep Swisher from playing time.

The economics of baseball 101.

voodoochile
10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah, that guy making league minimum is to much to pay to keep Swisher from playing time.

The economics of baseball 101.

Careful Daver, you're getting dangerously close to VORP territory...

BA IS the definition of a replacement player...

Konerko05
10-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Dear Brian,

:tomatoaward:

You come in the thread and immediately start knocking the guy, then sarcastically post a picture implying the "FOBAS" will add 100 replies. Most Brian Anderson threads reach tomato status because of arguments that you seem to like starting.

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 01:17 AM
You come in the thread and immediately start knocking the guy, then sarcastically post a picture implying the "FOBAS" will add 100 replies. Most Brian Anderson threads reach tomato status because of arguments that you seem to like starting.

Brian Anderson did the right thing by taking a pitch that upon replay was shown to be clearly 'ball 4' with TBS pitch tracker. He needed to get on base at any cost leading off the inning to spark a meaningful rally, and swinging at a pitcher's pitch with late movement would have surely resulted in a weak ground-out to 3B.

The ump didn't give him benefit of the doubt because he's not an established (selective) major leaguer. It happens. Sometimes you don't get the calls - it's just yet another part of the whole 'Luck' thing that people talk about as one of the prerequisites for Postseason success.

Frankly, I am more concerned with continued brutal defense by Junior & Wise that could provide more costly than Anderson going his usual 1 for 4, with an occasional clutch HR at the plate ;)

Plus, Wise is just so much more effective as PH/PR than Anderson.

Konerko05
10-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Brian Anderson did the right thing by taking a pitch that upon replay was shown to be clearly 'ball 4' with TBS pitch tracker. He needed to get on base at any cost leading off the inning to spark a meaningful rally, and swinging at a pitcher's pitch with late movement would have surely resulted in a weak ground-out to 3B.

The ump didn't give him benefit of the doubt because he's not an established (selective) major leaguer. It happens. Sometimes you don't get the calls - it's just yet another part of the whole 'Luck' thing that people talk about as one of the prerequisites for Postseason success.

Frankly, I am more concerned with continued brutal defense by Junior & Wise that could provide more costly than Anderson going his usual 1 for 4, with an occasional clutch HR at the plate ;)

I agree, I thought it was a professional at-bat with an obvious plan of trying to get on base.

I'm still just trying to figure out how Guillen thinks Griffey's offense can outweigh his defense in CF.

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 01:40 AM
I agree, I thought it was a professional at-bat with an obvious plan of trying to get on base.

I'm still just trying to figure out how Guillen thinks Griffey's offense can outweigh his defense in CF.

The real problem was the score of the game. Up by 3 runs, JP Howell could afford to try to "ace" Brian Anderson because even if he misses, it's not the end of the world- while all the pressure was on Anderson to get on base; and pressure almost always adversely affects performance.

That's why it was so important for Javy not to cough up the lead in the first place... which in turn would have put more pressure on Shields to be perfect, while giving Sox hitters more room for error. Perhaps runs would be tacked on.

Baseball is very situational in its nature, but October amplifies the head-to-head mind games & tactical considerations even more. If the game was tied or Sox were leading, Howell is more likely to throw Brian a more hittable get-me-over pitch to avoid a free pass.

chaerulez
10-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Do Anderson haters realize he's part of the reason the Sox are in the ALDS? No way does Griffey make that catch against the Twins and who knows what happens from there. Griffey could've tried to attempt the catch and dove and turned it into a double or triple.

asindc
10-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Dear Brian,

:

You took the words out of my mouth. If BA could hit a breaking ball well enough to hit .270, the job would be his and Swish would be in Oakland at the 10th hole somewhere right now.

Jaffar
10-03-2008, 08:30 AM
I have one very burning question for Brian - why did you cut off your gorgeous curls dammit?!!!

I basically left that comment on his blog, just without the gorgeous part.:tongue:

asindc
10-03-2008, 08:31 AM

And I agree with this as well. The ump small-timed BA on that pitch (not as bad as Daryl Ward got rung up last night in the Dodgers game, but I digress). While Jr.'s D did not cost us yesterday, he makes me nervous out there. I actually would have preferred to see him try LF during the regular season. I guess if we had clinched early enough Ozzie might have done that.

Pods4455
10-03-2008, 09:08 AM
awwww... I adore BA!!!!... Last season he told me "I dont have to dive- Im fast enough." in casual conversation-- tuesday night I sent him a text and said "what happened to not having to dive????" He said "GAME WAS ON THE LINE DORK!"....thanks, really? I didnt know that-lol

i seriously think he is the nicest guy ever! What a good idea for him to be doing this!

Thome_Fan
10-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Wait, so you know him personally? Nice!

voodoochile
10-03-2008, 09:16 AM

It's tongue and cheek. It's intended to be lighthearted and at the same time point out the insanity of the position people seem to take in this particular case. Yes, I think BA is a bench player at best who should be a late inning defensive replacement player for the most part. I get a kick out of the high level of intensity that people defend him with as if pointing out that BA ain't got no stick is an attack upon his character instead of simply something that is what it is.

It's a WSI tradition. I happen to enjoy this round of it particularly because I think a good chunk of BA's supporters are more into his "curls" than his ability to play ball...

Oh course he saved a "triple" according to one such FOBA the other night when he dove to make the final out of the game against Minnesota. Of course it wouldn't have been a triple unless BA dove and whiffed. It would have been a single, but never let the facts get in the way of a good BA story...

Were you areound for the Manos/Choice arguments back in the day? These are tame. People actually left WSI because of some of those arguments...

Iwritecode
10-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Were you areound for the Manos/Choice arguments back in the day? These are tame. People actually left WSI because of some of those arguments...

I thought the arm-wrestling contest at Soxfest settled that arguement once and for all. :tongue:

jennk44
10-03-2008, 10:03 AM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/kiernand44/Picnic%20in%20the%20Park%202008/BAandkids.jpg

champagne030
10-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I've got a question for BA. CF is wide open for this team next year. What are you going to do during the offseason to make it yours?

He will eat off of Ozzie's feet and all will be forgiven for kicking Jr's ass.

jennk44
10-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I tried to make the pic smaller, but I couldn't - how do I do it??

soltrain21
10-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I probably would ask him why he decided to put us on this planet; but I don't think the world is ready for his answer quite yet.

jennk44
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I probably would ask him why he decided to put us on this planet; but I don't think the world is ready for his answer quite yet.

http://banderson.mlblogs.com/

BoysMom3
10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
It's tongue and cheek. It's intended to be lighthearted and at the same time point out the insanity of the position people seem to take in this particular case. Yes, I think BA is a bench player at best who should be a late inning defensive replacement player for the most part. I get a kick out of the high level of intensity that people defend him with as if pointing out that BA ain't got no stick is an attack upon his character instead of simply something that is what it is.

It's a WSI tradition. I happen to enjoy this round of it particularly because I think a good chunk of BA's supporters are more into his "curls" than his ability to play ball...

Oh course he saved a "triple" according to one such FOBA the other night when he dove to make the final out of the game against Minnesota. Of course it wouldn't have been a triple unless BA dove and whiffed. It would have been a single, but never let the facts get in the way of a good BA story...

Voodoo, your post made me smile really big. I know I'm always talking about how I think BA is hot and how I loved his hair when it was long and curly, but I never say I think a player should be getting playing time because of that. I think BA is a great CF and a good enough hitter. But you can think it's all about the curls if you want to.It's really just a side issue. :D::wink:

SoxandtheCityTee
10-03-2008, 11:26 AM

You got that right. Then he comes back and says you can't question his potstirring intentions -- he's just having fun, it's tongue and cheek! -- but then he goes on to divine the real intentions of people who try support BA in baseball terms -- actually a "good chunk" are just into Anderson's "curls." I wonder if the men are as insulted as the women.

soxrme
10-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Farmer said the ball was right down the middle.

voodoochile
10-03-2008, 11:46 AM

I can understand taking the first called strike, but the second one was too close to watch. He has to defend the plate in that circumstance. Umps have been calling lots of strikes recently. Plate gets bigger because the pitchers and catchers are some of the best in the game at hitting the black and framing the pitch thus they get the benefit of the doubt.

Adele was correct, BA doesn't get the benefit of the doubt like Thome (for example) does. Thus he should be protecting the plate and not counting on the walk to reach base unless it's an obvious ball.

Konerko05
10-03-2008, 12:39 PM

I've been around since the Rival boards. I didn't post much then, but yes I was around.

Jaffar
10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
The at bat. (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=atbatht6.jpg)

tstrike2000
10-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Of course, I want him to play more because he's our "Greatest American Hero!"

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 02:04 PM
awwww... I adore BA!!!!... Last season he told me "I dont have to dive- Im fast enough." in casual conversation-- tuesday night I sent him a text and said "what happened to not having to dive????" He said "GAME WAS ON THE LINE DORK!"....thanks, really? I didnt know that-lol

i seriously think he is the nicest guy ever! What a good idea for him to be doing this!

Wow, freakin' suh-weeet.

Brian Anderson is the new black, and should be bottled. :bandance:

tstrike2000
10-03-2008, 02:08 PM

:o:

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Farmer has flown off the deep end of the reservation, as it were, a long time ago.

10-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I can understand taking the first called strike, but the second one was too close to watch.

Both pitches caught a whole bunch of plate. Joe West made the right calls, they were good pitches. Even Brian appeared to know full well. All the rest is just excuses.

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 02:34 PM
:o:

Don't hate.

Jaffar
10-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Of course, I want him to play more because he's our "Greatest American Hero!"

Where could you possibly come up with such things! :D:

Pods4455
10-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Wow, freakin' suh-weeet.

Agreed- he is seriously one of the nicest kids ever. Hes around my age and last season he used to be really immature about some stuff (still a great person though!!!!) when it comes to baseball--- but he really stepped up his game after getting injured last year... and he takes the game so much more serious and I really think hes matured a TON!

Dont get me wrong- we DEF arne't like "bff" or anything haha. I literally only talk to the kid every once in a while- like once a month. LOL. But he really genuinley is a nice person!!!

vvhiteS0x
10-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I like to think of him as the "Kid Brother" of the team. I will always remember him as the power defender as he got into the middle of the AJ punch. Oh I love his spunk!

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Agreed- he is seriously one of the nicest kids ever. Hes around my age and last season he used to be really immature about some stuff (still a great person though!!!!) when it comes to baseball--- but he really stepped up his game after getting injured last year... and he takes the game so much more serious and I really think hes matured a TON!

Dont get me wrong- we DEF arne't like "bff" or anything haha. I literally only talk to the kid every once in a while- like once a month. LOL. But he really genuinley is a nice person!!!

I dunno, Pods4455, I still think Brian Anderson is exceedingly awesome.

BA definately rocks the time-space continuum & presides over matter, if nothing else.

What is he like in real life?

GoGoCrede
10-03-2008, 08:59 PM

Your baby is adorable. And what a nice jersey, too. :cool:

GoGoCrede
10-04-2008, 01:58 PM
:redneck BA answered the curly locks question.

http://banderson.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/10/back_against_the_wall_but_goin.html

tstrike2000
10-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Don't hate.

Just having a little fun with your phrasing. :smile:

tstrike2000
10-04-2008, 02:09 PM
BA definately rocks the time-space continuum & presides over matter, if nothing else.

I think the matter he presides over is the wood that makes up the bench. :D:

cheezheadsoxfan
10-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Probably shoudn't join this pissing contest but as an older Sox fan (Jim Landis anyone?) I really value CF defense. I might have cared about the "golden locks" about 40 years ago but now, not so much.:redneck

Adele_H
10-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Just having a little fun with your phrasing. :smile:

So you agree with the principle?

voodoochile
10-04-2008, 02:57 PM
So you agree with the principle?

Well, sure but according to Heinlein so are we all...

Adele_H
10-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, sure but according to Heinlein so are we all...

I don't follow, V. :(:

Lefty34
10-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Dear Brian,

Umm...because he plays great defense at a position where defense is key, especially with Jermaine Dye patrolling right field, that's how.

Daver
10-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Umm...because he plays great defense at a position where defense is key, especially with Jermaine Dye patrolling right field, that's how.

Center field is an offensive position, just ask Ozzie Guillen.

voodoochile
10-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't follow, V. :(:

You were in a roundabout way saying BA = God. Well if you've ever read Stranger In A Strange Land (loved it when I read it, now think it's a piece of tripe) everyone is...

But if you don't grok, you don't grok...

voodoochile
10-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Rather have an adequate glove with a good stick. I mean I understand wanting good defense in CF, but at what point do we draw the line? BA's career OPS of .630 with an OBP of well under .300 and a K/AB ratio of 1/4 is way past bad. If he could hit .750 OPS consistently while cutting down on his K's to a respectable level, I could live with him there, but that's a big jump for a guy who's been around as long as he has...

Adele_H
10-04-2008, 03:57 PM
You were in a roundabout way saying BA = God. Well if you've ever read Stranger In A Strange Land (loved it when I read it, now think it's a piece of tripe) everyone is...

But if you don't grok, you don't grok...

Wait a minute, and hold it right there.

Are you making fun of me? Is this being filmed?

You guys... Ma, I am on TV!

voodoochile
10-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Wait a minute, and hold it right there.

Are you making fun of me? Is this being filmed?

You guys... Ma, I am on TV!
Sorry, the revolution will not be televised...

Adele_H
10-04-2008, 04:16 PM
You were in a roundabout way saying BA = God....

No, I was merely saying that Brian Anderson oversees all particular matter and also dabbles in infinite totality. Nothing more.

I believe the new collider will judge me right on this, V. I really do.

Pods4455
10-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I dunno, Pods4455, I still think Brian Anderson is exceedingly awesome.

What is he like in real life?

Uhm- pretty much like the coolest guy friend ever. We were a lot closer when he was in NC last season ( i met him through Aaaaaaardsma ).. we used to talk on the phone super late @ night about NOTHING.. I mean literally- most pt.less phone convos ever. He told me he'd be playing in the NBA ifhe wasnt in the majors haha. Kid's hilarious and has a mad obsession with tattoos...He used to have me cracking up (and i still was living with my parents at the time) at like 2am and my dad would come in and go "will you tell anderson to please get some sleep so he can get back up to the bigs and do something for the team?" he was adorable and never tried to hit on me or anything which is SO REFRESHING that he could be a guy who could truley have girls that were friends w/o trying to get into their pants

like i said- we were never bff or anything and i dont talk to him hardly at ALL anymore, but he is one of the coolest guys ever and is MAD nice!

Ill never forget i talked to him the night after pods got hit in the head out in left durring the A's series and he was soooo upset that ozzie didnt put him in in the 9th.... he was like "ozzie hates me..." he wasnt MAD at ozzie or anything-the kid just REALLY wanted playing time and REALLY wanted to work on his swing...he just knew that if he had been in he would have caught that ball and just wanted what was best for the team. Good guy. Good guy.:smile:

Pods4455
10-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Your baby is adorable. And what a nice jersey, too. :cool:

Thank you!!! How sweet!! That's a pods jersey in the backround and hes in one of his GAZILLION sox outfits- that kid even has sox pj's... he wears them to church. And prays for the sox. "Dear Jesus- please let the sox win so mommy will stop yelling at the tv.":rolleyes:

Adele_H
10-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Ill never forget i talked to him the night after pods got hit in the head out in left durring the A's series and he was soooo upset that ozzie didnt put him in in the 9th.... he was like "ozzie hates me..."

I knew it! I knew it!

I knew it, I knew I, I knew - knew knew knewknewknewwwwwwwww it, but was afraid to say!

I ****ING KNEW IT!

Ozzie... :angry::angry::angry:

Nellie_Fox
10-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I knew it! I knew it!

I knew it, I knew I, I knew - knew knew knewknewknewwwwwwwww it, but was afraid to say!

I ****ING KNEW IT!

Ozzie... :angry::angry::angry:Yeah, because NOBODY on here has ever said that the reason Anderson doesn't play is because Ozzie hates him. This is the first time ever that has been brought up. :rolleyes:

btrain929
10-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Dear Brian,

When there is a fastball thrown inside to you, why do you lean back and stick your cup over the middle of the plate? That gives you a better chance at getting hit then if you just stand there.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin': be careful out there buddy :D:

nasox
10-05-2008, 01:38 AM
i knew it! i knew it!

i knew it, i knew i, i knew - knew knew knewknewknewwwwwwwww it, but was afraid to say!

i ****ing knew it!

ozzie... :angry::angry::angry:

n00b

PaleHoseGeorge
10-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Ozzie is using Anderson for late-inning defense in centerfield. Given all those backward K's he piles up when inside the batter's box, I would say this is a pretty good use for the guy.

Nice work, Ozzie!

:thumbsup:

voodoochile
10-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Ozzie is using Anderson for late-inning defense in centerfield. Given all those backward K's he piles up when inside the batter's box, I would say this is a pretty good use for the guy.

Nice work, Ozzie!

:thumbsup:

Careful there, PHG - you're talking trash about the greatest CF in Sox history...:tongue:

southside rocks
10-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I knew it! I knew it!

I ****ING KNEW IT!

Ozzie... :angry::angry::angry:

Well, duh.

Any idea WHY Ozzie was not so fond of BA during that time? I'm betting that Anderson was a bit more reticent about that topic. (Hint: Ozzie is not prone to irrational hatred of young players, particularly young players with some talent. They have to earn that hate. BA earned it. And he knows how.)

BoysMom3
10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Well The Gorgeous Curls might not be on top of BA's list of priorities, but some of want to know. They could be helping him more than he realizes. Remember Sampson? I'm just sayin'. :wink: