PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs a lefty: Thome, Griffey, etc

EuroSox35
10-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Do you play both? Sit one? I actually like how Griffey looks against lefties better then Thome, even though the stats might not agree with me

Personally I'd sit Thome, DH Griffey, and put Anderson in CF

Foulke You
10-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I have to disagree with you. I think Griffey has looked lost against most lefties. The only time he does something productive against them is when he works a walk. Thome has done a decent amount of damage against them this year. Given a choice, I'd go with Jim and save Griffey to pinch hit late if you need him to.

JB98
10-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Play Thome, sit Griffey.

oeo
10-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Do you play both? Sit one? I actually like how Griffey looks against lefties better then Thome, even though the stats might not agree with me

Personally I'd sit Thome, DH Griffey, and put Anderson in CF

Griffey looks a lot worse than Thome against LHP. Thome will usually at least make an AB out of it. Griffey doesn't stand a chance unless the guy can't throw strikes.

Should see Swisher and Anderson tomorrow.

Konerko05
10-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Griffey looks awful against lefties. He doesn't even stand a chance. There is no way he starts tomorrow.

I'd love to see Anderson covering the spacious CF in Tropicana. Who knows with Guillen though. He will probably play Swisher in CF, and Wise in LF. I just checked Wise's career splits and he is brutal against lefties, but he's also brutal against righties. I really hope it's Anderson in CF, and Swisher in LF.

Thome has actually hit lefties fairly well this year. There is also no other option on the bench. Josh Fields? No thanks.

JB98
10-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Griffey looks awful against lefties. He doesn't even stand a chance. There is no way he starts tomorrow.

I'd love to see Anderson covering the spacious CF in Tropicana. Who knows with Guillen though. He will probably play Swisher in CF, and Wise in LF. I just checked Wise's career splits and he is brutal against lefties, but he's also brutal against righties. I really hope it's Anderson in CF, and Swisher in LF.

Thome has actually hit lefties fairly well this year. There is also no other option on the bench. Josh Fields? No thanks.

Swisher will be in for Wise tomorrow. Ozzie told Joe Cowley that he's going to platoon those players for the remainder of the playoffs.

I have no idea what he will do for CF. I would imagine he'll go with Anderson.

Konerko05
10-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Swisher will be in for Wise tomorrow. Ozzie told Joe Cowley that he's going to platoon those players for the remainder of the playoffs.

I have no idea what he will do for CF. I would imagine he'll go with Anderson.

If Guillen starts Griffey in CF against a lefty, he should be fired. He shouldn't even be out there against a righty.

He looked terrible going back on Iwamura's "triple." Deja Vu? I don't know if Anderson would have caught the ball, but there is no way it would be a triple. I'm surprised he didn't cost the Sox more runs out there today.

TDog
10-03-2008, 01:09 AM
According to ESPN's Web site, Thome has had no success against Kazmir. Griffey has never batted against Kazmir. Neither has Wise. Thome, however, is hitless in 13 at bats. He has struck out five times and has never walked.

Anderson has faced Kazmir six times. He has struck out five times and has never rached base. Swisher has three singles in 21 at bats and two walks, but he has six strikeouts.

Konerko and Dye have hit .333. Dye has homered twice, Konerko once. Ramirez is two for five with a double, a triple and two strikeouts.

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 01:25 AM
He looked terrible going back on Iwamura's "triple." Deja Vu? I don't know if Anderson would have caught the ball, but there is no way it would be a triple. I'm surprised he didn't cost the Sox more runs out there today.

Yeah, that was a big play. Anderson + a stronger-armed SS = Iwamura out at 3rd. One of the game's pivotal moments.

But no way even Anderson catches that ball on the fly - that was an absolute rope that hit the frickin' wall 400 feet from home plate. If anything, it's a testament to how poor Javy's pitch was to Iwamura who isn't exactly world's strongest man.

Adele_H
10-03-2008, 01:30 AM
According to ESPN's Web site, Thome has had no success against Kazmir. Griffey has never batted against Kazmir. Neither has Wise. Thome, however, is hitless in 13 at bats. He has struck out five times and has never walked.

Anderson has faced Kazmir six times. He has struck out five times and has never rached base. Swisher has three singles in 21 at bats and two walks, but he has six strikeouts.

Konerko and Dye have hit .333. Dye has homered twice, Konerko once. Ramirez is two for five with a double, a triple and two strikeouts.

It really is more about Kazmir's form than anything else, including aformentioned head-to-head stats. He hasn't exactly been super-sharp lately. But if he's ON... we gone.

One thing's for sure: you can't start Griffey or Wise tomorrow because of their glove if nothing else.

I also don't see anything wrong with trying Alexei in the 2-hole. Desperate times.

JB98
10-03-2008, 01:57 AM
If Guillen starts Griffey in CF against a lefty, he should be fired. He shouldn't even be out there against a righty.

No way Anderson catches that ball. NO WAY. No one could have caught that ball. Sometimes people act as if Anderson is Superman, and he catches everything. I've seen the ball roped over BA's head this year several times. Sometimes, the pitcher gives up a screaming line drive, and there is nothing the CF can do.

Griffey did all he could on Iwamura's drive. He played the carom well and got it back in quickly. I thought Cabrera's throw to third was weak. We should have had the out, but it was Cabrera's fault, not Griffey's.

Konerko05
10-03-2008, 02:06 AM
No way Anderson catches that ball. NO WAY. No one could have caught that ball. Sometimes people act as if Anderson is Superman, and he catches everything. I've seen the ball roped over BA's head this year several times. Sometimes, the pitcher gives up a screaming line drive, and there is nothing the CF can do.

Griffey did all he could on Iwamura's drive. He played the carom well and got it back in quickly. I thought Cabrera's throw to third was weak. We should have had the out, but it was Cabrera's fault, not Griffey's.

I didn't say he would have caught the ball anywhere in my post. I said "I don't know if he would have caught the ball," because that is impossible to say. He probably doesn't catch the ball, but no way should that have been a triple.

None of that changes the fact that Griffey can not and should not play CF. He definitely can not play CF in spacious artificial Tropicana. Not to mention, this is the playoffs. The Sox are lucky Griffey didn't cost the game out there. That is all I'm saying. If you think he is even adaquate out there, then you aren't paying close enough attention.

esbrechtel
10-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Lineup against a Lefty should be...

OC SS (ugh)
BA CF
Dye RF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
TCM 2B
AJ C
Swish LF
Uribe 3B

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Just asking...was Griff playing deep or shallow on that triple?
Not saying that BA gets to it, but it could have changed the game if it is hit just a hair less and our CF catches it. Javy gets out of that inning without giving up a run and at 3-1 I think ozzie pulls him quick the next inning. Oh well.

The Dude
10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Play Thome, sit Griffey.

Agreed

balz1472
10-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Can they just send Griffey straight to the Hall Of Fame to stay? Put Fields in at DH. He CANNOT be worse than Griffey.

soxrme
10-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Agreed
I agree also, put BA in center in that dome, keep Griffey on the bench for this one.