PDA

View Full Version : Still Like Our Chances

BigP50
10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
MB was Ca$h in his last start and is starting tomorrow.

then we have Floyd and Danks who have what 2 runs allowed comined in there last starts.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I like our chances, too.

We still have two games at the Cell. I think we win them both. Danks and Floyd will be on regular rest.

So now the question is: Do we win Game 2 or do we wait until Game 5?

soxwon
10-02-2008, 09:40 PM
All we can be is optomistic, so we weren't perfect today.
MB will be on tommorow, bring it back home.
We've been here before many times.

BigP50
10-02-2008, 09:41 PM
we only lost by 2 and Javy was pitching so that has to be a plus, right?:D:

We win tomorrow and bam we have the home field advantage

Billy Ashley
10-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Losing one game sucks, but all the White Sox need to do is win their next game and game one doesn't matter.

The White Sox were the Dogs going in and still are, but it's still far from a slam dunk now.

doublem23
10-02-2008, 09:54 PM
The Rays suck ass against left-handed pitching. They got handcuffed by Clayton Richard for Christ's sake.

I love our chances with Buehrle and Danks going next two days.

If we win tomorrow, I think we win the series.

dgnickster9224
10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
if we win tomorrow we can win it. if we lose tomorrow we are in for a wild ride. especially with javy going again in game 5.

nccwsfan
10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
The Rays suck ass against left-handed pitching. They got handcuffed by Clayton Richard for Christ's sake.

I love our chances with Buehrle and Danks going next two days.

If we win tomorrow, I think we win the series.

Listened to the game today- Farmio and Stoney pointed out that the Rays were only 1 game over .500 vs. LHP and that their collective batting average was around 20 points lower. Clayton Richard's performance today was a classic example.

Buehrle for Game 2, Danks for Game 4, and if necessary Buehrle could/would be brought back on normal rest for Game 5. Today was a winnable game but just didn't make the comeback. I feel good about our chances.

ChiSoxGirl
10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
if we win tomorrow we can win it. if we lose tomorrow we are in for a wild ride. especially with javy going again in game 5.

On his postgame show today, Rongey said he suspects Ozzie would go with Burhele, who'd be on regular rest at that point, for Game 5. I agree with this line of thinking and hope Ozzie feels the same way! I don't want Vazquez anywhere near the pitcher's mound to start a playoff game.

sox1970
10-02-2008, 10:03 PM
On his postgame show today, Rongey said he suspects Ozzie would go with Burhele, who'd be on regular rest at that point, for Game 5. I agree with this line of thinking and hope Ozzie feels the same way! I don't want Vazquez anywhere near the pitcher's mound to start a playoff game.

I don't see how they could use anyone BUT Buehrle in a Game 5. Regular rest. What's there to think about? If the Sox advance, they'll only need a 4th starter in Game 4 of the ALCS and World Series.

Cuck the Fubs
10-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Buerhle wins tomorrow, Danks wins on Sunday.

Floyd clinches it Monday.

* Note * In the event that one of these fine lads cannot do his appointed duty, Mr. Buehrle will pick up his slack in Game 5.

dgnickster9224
10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I hope he sits javy for the rest of the playoffs. Put him in the bullpen and have clayton richard start if needed.

danjames
10-02-2008, 10:07 PM
There's no reason for Javy to pitch in game 5. MB will be on 4 days rest for game 5.

Edit: Whoops! When I originally opened this thread, everyone else hadn't already stated the obvious. Didn't mean to piggyback.

thomas35forever
10-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I hope he sits javy for the rest of the playoffs. Put him in the bullpen and have clayton richard start if needed.
Don't let him start anymore, but I doubt he'll sit for the playoffs. Have him pitch in long relief if the game is way out of reach and one of our other starters departs early.

Jjav829
10-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Today really shouldn't have changed anyone's mind significantly. If you were going into today's game thinking that we had to win a Vazquez-started playoff game to win this series, you probably thought we were screwed anyway.

ChiSoxGirl
10-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't see how they could use anyone BUT Buehrle in a Game 5. Regular rest. What's there to think about? If the Sox advance, they'll only need a 4th starter in Game 4 of the ALCS and World Series.

Oh, I agree with you completely! Pitching Buehrle in Game 5 on regular rest isn't even up for discussion.

champagne030
10-02-2008, 10:19 PM
It didn't work today, but I do think Cabrera got into Balfour's head. Grant is a complete headcase. He's sucked his whole career until this season. Cabrera just got caught up in it when Balfour lost it and started swinging at **** trying to hit a homer. Right idea, but horrible execution.....

nccwsfan
10-02-2008, 10:22 PM
It didn't work today, but I do think Cabrera got into Balfour's head. Grant is a complete headcase. He's sucked his whole career until this season. Cabrera just got caught up in it when Balfour lost it and started swinging at **** trying to hit a homer. Right idea, but horrible execution.....

If there is one pitch we could have back it would be when Cabrera swung at ball 3- had OC held up who knows what might've happened. Oh well- let's take one tomorrow.

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I was really impressed by the Sox today...they showed that they were themselves and I really think they have what it takes to beat the Rays...its October so I hope some of that postseason magic plays in our favor!

chisox77
10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I like our chances in this series. It will go either four or five games - with the White Sox advancing.

:cool:

Sox4ever77
10-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Oh, I agree with you completely! Pitching Buehrle in Game 5 on regular rest isn't even up for discussion.

The Sox won't need Buehrle for Game 5, they are going to win the next three straight. Mark starts Game 1 of the ALCS.

geraldfritz
10-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah, if we take game 2 we have a great chance of advancing. with our next two games being in chicago. Gotta love our chances, but go out and get em tomorrow guys.

Revolutn
10-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Tomorrows final score. 5 - 3 Sox victory.

Call your bookies.

No Don't I don't need that mojo on my head, but that's my call for the final score.:bandance:

slavko
10-03-2008, 12:50 AM
The offense has to step up. All the runs off 2 homers won't win the ALDS. Cabrera was today's goat. He's supposed to be the one guy who doesn't swing for the fences. Uribe almost had the game tying hit when that drive to deep right went foul. He had a similar foul with the bases loaded in 2005 game 3 WS.

SoxFan1979
10-03-2008, 12:51 AM
LETS DO IT WHITE SOX!!!! :bandance::bandance:

pudge
10-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Today really shouldn't have changed anyone's mind significantly. If you were going into today's game thinking that we had to win a Vazquez-started playoff game to win this series, you probably thought we were screwed anyway.

That is a great statement. It really does sum it up. I've felt the Sox would eventually pay for all the games they've had to play, and the price is having to start Javy in a 5-game series and losing the critical first game. The Rays are now comfortable, they have confidence, they're pissed at O.C., etc. I don't like it one bit. But I like the confidence in this thread! To think, just a few days ago you go into any WSI thread and you'd think we had the worst team in the MLB.

The Dude
10-03-2008, 03:37 AM

Javy is dead to me and the rest of Sox nation

SteveFakeBlood
10-03-2008, 04:38 AM
Sweet. I thought I'd come on here to doom and gloom, but it looks everyone's still keeping their chins up. I felt better than I should after a playoff loss- we lost, but we proved we belong. Javy left a couple balls hanging to Longoria and their best reliever (Grant Balfour, because Wheeler's the typical make shift middle reliever converted to closer, he will melt down in the playoffs- it's just a matter of when and how important the game is) shut us down. Shields was good, but not unhittable and we lost by 2 runs with our falling apart #4 starter against their ace.

We need to win one in Tropicana to win this series- let's just make it today rather than waiting around for Game 5. Mark hasn't been great against the Rays, or on the road or in domes- however, he's pitching with everything he's got right now and looks more confident than ever. The dome caters to their style of play, if we can edge them there today and then come back home and take back that psychological edge of the home crowd (sorry Tropicana didn't seem that loud to me...) and end this thing in 4, that'd be great.

OK, maybe I'm being too optimistic, so I'll say this: Even if this series is it for us, I have confidence that at least we'll keep things close and take a couple games and not completely humiliate ourselves like the Flubs.

~Steve

Bucky F. Dent
10-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Starting pitching lines up well over the next three.

Buehrle on the road, then the young guns at home.

Let's just hope we don't have to rely on Javy for anything for the rest of the playoffs.

harwar
10-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Javy appears to have nothing left .. i think that he is already packing up his stuff in his mind and is already halfway home ..
I just hope that Ozzie has a difficult decision to make for the ALCS ..

SouthPaw72
10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Yes if we can win today with Buehrle we have a strong chance. He would also be pitcher in Game 5. Putting Javy in is like just giving them the championship. He needs ALOT OF WORK. Also I hope Evan Longoria gets some major Diaherria and can't play. The Rays are decent but honestly if he wasnt in the line up they arent better then the sox.

ChiSoxFan81
10-03-2008, 11:15 AM
. Also I hope Evan Longoria gets some major Diaherria and can't play.

And by this I hope you mean that he will crap himself against MB.

SouthPaw72
10-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Well I didnt think about it that way, but now that you mention it, I like your idea better...LOL

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Javy is dead to me and the rest of Sox nationWe don't have a "nation." Leave that in New England.

oeo
10-03-2008, 11:45 AM
We lost the first game of the series, on the road, with our worst pitcher on the mound. What's not to like about our chances still?

asindc
10-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Sweet. I thought I'd come on here to doom and gloom, but it looks everyone's still keeping their chins up. I felt better than I should after a playoff loss- we lost, but we proved we belong. Javy left a couple balls hanging to Longoria and their best reliever (Grant Balfour, because Wheeler's the typical make shift middle reliever converted to closer, he will melt down in the playoffs- it's just a matter of when and how important the game is) shut us down. Shields was good, but not unhittable and we lost by 2 runs with our falling apart #4 starter against their ace.

We need to win one in Tropicana to win this series- let's just make it today rather than waiting around for Game 5. Mark hasn't been great against the Rays, or on the road or in domes- however, he's pitching with everything he's got right now and looks more confident than ever. The dome caters to their style of play, if we can edge them there today and then come back home and take back that psychological edge of the home crowd (sorry Tropicana didn't seem that loud to me...) and end this thing in 4, that'd be great.

OK, maybe I'm being too optimistic, so I'll say this: Even if this series is it for us, I have confidence that at least we'll keep things close and take a couple games and not completely humiliate ourselves like the Flubs.

~Steve

I think it's because we have a recent World Series banner in hand. Like Morissey said yesterday, the Sox are playing with house money, especially after Tuesday's epic game. Contrast that to what is going down on the Northside. As long as the Sox are competitive, we can walk away feeling good. I see no reason why we can't take today's game.

asindc
10-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Javy is dead to me and the rest of Sox nation

It's Sox Country, not Nation.

oeo
10-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Sweet. I thought I'd come on here to doom and gloom, but it looks everyone's still keeping their chins up. I felt better than I should after a playoff loss- we lost, but we proved we belong.

With Javy on the mound, I braced myself for a loss. I didn't even have the same excitement about yesterday's game that I do about tonight's.

It's tough to do what the Dodgers did (take two on the road), so if we win tonight, we're sitting pretty.

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 11:49 AM
For being down 0-1 the Sox are set up as well as they possibly could be for the rest of the series. Our relief pitching is rested, TB used their three best guys yesterday. Sox have their 3 best starters going in the next 4 games...Sox have two home games looming if they can win one.

I would rather be 1-0 but as the stats indicate...ALDS losers in first games are 14-12 overall in the ALDS.
If you are going to lose that first game...make it be on the road vs their best pitcher vs your worst.
Now, Sox have to hit the ball,pitch the ball and catch the ball the next 4 games...GO SOX.

kjhanson
10-03-2008, 12:05 PM
We lost the first game of the series, on the road, with our worst pitcher on the mound. What's not to like about our chances still?

Completely agree. Tampa Bay had their hottest starter on the mound, we had our coldest. Tonight, we have our hottest starter (4-1, 2.29 in Sept.), and they have an inconsistent one (2-2, 5.19 in Sept. - two starts of 0 ER). To me, yesterday was kind of a throw-away game. We're coming off an euphoric high and had the guy on the mound who throws like he's high.

More numbers to consider: Kazmir is 6-7, 4.36 since June 6th, and has only gone into the 7th innning once in that timeframe, yet he threw 97+ pitches in all of those outings but three. Kazmir has also yielded 22 HR in only 427 ABs to right-handed hitters, and has only induced 6 DPs on the season to all batters. He's tough on left-handed hitters, though, giving up only one home run on the year. Thome is 0 for 13 lifetime, while Griffey has yet to see him. Swisher is just 3 for 21. Meanwhile, Alexei has a double and triple in 5 at-bats, Konerko is 4 for 12 with a HR, and Dye is 5 for 15 with 2 HRs.

It sure would be nice to see Alexei in the two-hole tonight.

StarvingRussian
10-03-2008, 12:08 PM
I am really optimistic about the Sox taking this series. The Javy loss was expected, but an unexpected win would have been cool. Buehrle, Danks and Floyd will have to carry us. I think we have a great chance against them though. Just take 1 game down there and then home. I hope we get this 2nd game.

slavko
10-03-2008, 12:51 PM
My AM paper has us as pretty solid underdogs, more than you would expect from home field advantage alone. Offense has to wake up.

KenBerryGrab
10-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Go the other way with the change, boyos, and we're golden!

Thome25
10-03-2008, 01:00 PM
It's Sox Country, not Nation.

It's NOT Country or Nation it's SOX ARMY.......sheesh!!:D:

kjhanson
10-03-2008, 01:02 PM
My AM paper has us as pretty solid underdogs, more than you would expect from home field advantage alone. Offense has to wake up.

I saw -160 for TB earlier today, while they were at -180 yesterday. I think there is some of the artificial inflation to those numbers because of the blind bets on the Rays. For those who aren't aware of this of this: Some teams (ND, Cubs, etc.) will get bet on no matter what. Because bookies only care about the juice, they want even bets on both sides. Therefore, they make it more attractive to bet on the Cubs/ND opponents and less attractive to bet on the "popular" team. I think TB is getting this treatment, thus the White Sox are a really good value in this series.

palehozenychicty
10-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Yes if we can win today with Buehrle we have a strong chance. He would also be pitcher in Game 5. Putting Javy in is like just giving them the championship. He needs ALOT OF WORK. Also I hope Evan Longoria gets some major Diaherria and can't play. The Rays are decent but honestly if he wasnt in the line up they arent better then the sox.

They may not have the names like Griffey, Thome, Dye, Konerko, AJ, and Swisher, but they won 97 games in a much tougher division with only a short slump in July. It wasn't an accident. They're very versatile and they executed very well. The Sox are going to need a better plate approach and execute to win this series, especially today.

whitesox901
10-03-2008, 02:07 PM
we only lost by 2 and Javy was pitching so that has to be a plus, right?:D:

We win tomorrow and bam we have the home field advantage

eeeeeYES! and at home with Jon and Gavin!