PDA

View Full Version : Derek Lowe is a pending free agent

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I know the offseason hasn't yet begun, and I still think the Sox will come back and beat the Rays. Still, given the context of Vazquez's meltdown today, I'd like to see the Sox pick up another starting pitcher this offseason.

How about Derek Lowe?

He's a great ground ball-inducing pitcher: 2.60 GB/FB ratio in 2008.

That's better than the Sox current ground ball starters:

1.57 GB/FB for Buehrle in 2008 (1.63 career)
1.19 GB/FB for Danks in 2008 (1.00 career)

Lowe also has given up fewer homers and walks than Buehrle and Danks, and fewer hits than Buehrle.

Lowe is 35 this year and will turn 36 next June 1.

Discuss...

turners56
10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Lowe is old. However, he's the kind of pitcher that Kenny really likes. A sinker-baller who doesn't give up many homers. He fits in well at the Cell.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Lowe is old. However, he's the kind of pitcher that Kenny really likes. A sinker-baller who doesn't give up many homers. He fits in well at the Cell.

He's older, but he's really durable.

turners56
10-02-2008, 10:22 PM
He's older, but he's really durable.

With the year he's had, he will get some good money. I don't know if he is willing to take a 2 year deal, which would seem like the kind of deal Kenny would throw at him.

TheOldRoman
10-02-2008, 10:26 PM
With the year he's had, he will get some good money. I don't know if he is willing to take a 2 year deal, which would seem like the kind of deal Kenny would throw at him.Someone will throw 3 years at him, and I imagine he will get over $12 mil a year.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Someone will throw 3 years at him, and I imagine he will get over $12 mil a year.

I hope that's us. :cool:

turners56
10-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Eh, I don't know if I want him when he's 38 or 39 though.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Eh, I don't know if I want him when he's 38 or 39 though.

I don't want Vazquez right now at his age. :D:

turners56
10-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't want Vazquez right now at his age. :D:

Lowe is way better than Vazquez even when Vazquez is good.

doublem23
10-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Lowe is way better than Vazquez even when Vazquez is good.

Damn right... If I don't ever see Javier Vazquez in a White Sox uniform again, it'll be too soon.

Brian26
10-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I wanted the Sox to sign him after the 2004 season. I'd pass on him now.

WhiteSoxOnly
10-02-2008, 11:01 PM

Exactly right...if those would be the numbers,then go get him.

Brian26
10-02-2008, 11:04 PM
One of the worst trades of all time:

Seattle sends Lowe and Varitek to Boston for Heathcliff Slocumb - July 31, 1997, the same day as the White Flag Trade for the Sox. Yet, eleven years later, the Mariners look like they got hosed more than anyone that day. At least the Sox received a few productive seasons out of Foulke and Howry.

Craig Grebeck
10-02-2008, 11:16 PM
I'd support it. I'd much rather give him 2 years/30 million than throw anything at C.C.

I'd love to pick up Furcal as well, if the Dodgers let him walk.

munchman33
10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
It's more likely he signs four years somewhere else and then we trade everything we've got for him two years down the line.

Seriously, we don't sign big time free agent pitchers. End thread.

DumpJerry
10-03-2008, 12:13 AM
I know the offseason hasn't yet begun, and I still think the Sox will come back and beat the Rays. Still, given the context of Vazquez's meltdown today, I'd like to see the Sox pick up another starting pitcher this offseason.
Being better than Javy is not setting the bar very high, is it? I mean my seven year old nephew is probably better than Javy, but KW is not burning up the phone line to my brother's house.

Huisj
10-03-2008, 12:43 AM
I kind of worry about Lowe in the AL for some reason . . . well, I guess that reason is that he struggled in Boston for a while before he went to LA. He's been good since then, but you never know.

Foulke You
10-03-2008, 12:46 AM
It's more likely he signs four years somewhere else and then we trade everything we've got for him two years down the line.

Seriously, we don't sign big time free agent pitchers. End thread.
Good point. We would gladly sign them if they took 3 years or less.:D: The problem is that we don't give out longer terms than that for starters. Buehrle was a special exception and they had to make the fans kick and scream to make it happen. That being said, Lowe would fit well in our ballpark.

guillensdisciple
10-03-2008, 01:52 AM
If we can sign him for two years get him in... if we get a pitcher of that caliber on the sox next year you can put a world series on the board.

Zisk77
10-03-2008, 02:00 AM
If we can sign him for two years get him in... if we get a pitcher of that caliber on the sox next year you can put a world series on the board.

Oh please, u are beginning to sound like the "its gonna happen" sheep. Derek Lowe is not going to automatically put anybody in the playoffs let alone the series.

chisoxfanatic
10-03-2008, 02:04 AM
There is one guy I'd want above all free agent pitchers: AJ Burnett. There is no salary cap in baseball, so pay the man enough to get him here. If Javy is any more than a #5 starter next year, we are going to have problems.

Sargeant79
10-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Isn't he a Boras client?

Either way, I don't really see it happening. This isn't really the type of signing we usually make, and I'm not sure it would be very smart to give him anything more than a 2 year deal anyway.

Lukin13
10-03-2008, 03:15 AM
You guys are dreaming... two years at 12 per :scratch:

Four years $60,000,000.

MUsoxfan
10-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Kyle Lohse has set the bar at 4/41. That's pretty much the lowest bar out there.

If I could do my life over, I'd be a LH major-league pitcher. I'd be on the fast track to $100m in the bank

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2008, 07:33 AM
If I could do my life over, I'd be a LH major-league pitcher. I'd be on the fast track to $100m in the bank

Given that we're on the verge of another Great Depression, I've decided that my retirement plan is making sure my 4-month-old son learns to pitch left handed.
:tongue:

Craig Grebeck
10-03-2008, 09:49 AM
There is one guy I'd want above all free agent pitchers: AJ Burnett. There is no salary cap in baseball, so pay the man enough to get him here. If Javy is any more than a #5 starter next year, we are going to have problems.
Yuck. He's going to get a ton of money and I'm not sure I want to be the team who gives it to him. Ticking injury timebomb.

Hell, I'd rather sign Lowe and take a flier on Sergio Mitre.

asindc
10-03-2008, 10:34 AM
No one, especially an AL GM, should be signing 35-yr. old Lowe to a 4-yr. contract. Hell, 3 years is stretching it. But someone will give him at least 3 years this offseason if he continues to have a good postseason. Hope it's not KW. I'm for 2 yrs., 12.5 mil per, but that's it.

Zisk77
10-03-2008, 10:37 AM

love his stuff, but he is ALWAYS hurt and very expensive. Think Kerry Woodlike hurt.

Moses_Scurry
10-03-2008, 11:06 AM

Maybe old would translate to affordable. I personally would love to see KW sign 2 SPs, maybe for 20 mil total, give or take. So something like a Lowe+AJ Burnett. Then he could trade Javy for the very best possible non-1B infielder available. The Sox infield is in a pretty good situation because Alexei can play both SS and 2B, and Uribe (I don't have a problem with him being back) can play all 3. That would give KW plenty of flexibility to get a competent one for Vazquez + prospects if necessary. No 2B available? Get a 3B. No 3B available? Get a SS.

That's what I would like to see, but I trust KW to do what's best.

Oblong
10-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I played ball against him for 4 years in high school. He grew up in my hometown and his parents live inthe same neighborhood still. When he got drafted it was a bit of a surprise. He was going to Eastern Michigan on a basketball scholarship.

I think he'd be a decent pickup for anybody.

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 11:25 AM
What is Furcal's contract status? How many more years?
I would love to get him in a Sox uni at short and leading off.
I know he is injury prone but he would be the kind of leadoff guy the sox have needed since Pods got hurt.

I always worry about the NL pitcher to AL like Lowe. That is why some NL GM should be interested in Javy...he might do well over there.
Javy for Furcal?.....I know..I am dreaming

Craig Grebeck
10-03-2008, 11:42 AM
What is Furcal's contract status? How many more years?
I would love to get him in a Sox uni at short and leading off.
I know he is injury prone but he would be the kind of leadoff guy the sox have needed since Pods got hurt.

I always worry about the NL pitcher to AL like Lowe. That is why some NL GM should be interested in Javy...he might do well over there.
Javy for Furcal?.....I know..I am dreaming
Furcal will be a free agent.

How about we sign Furcal, and keep Javy! Novel concept, I know.

DO NOT SELL LOW ON STARTING PITCHING.

NLaloosh
10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Derek Lowe.

Scott Boras.

No White Sox.