PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hicks: We Made A Mistake

JermaineDye05
10-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Link (http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/947324.html)

Texas owner acknowledging that that Danks deal was one of the worst they've ever made

I wasn't sure where to post this since it regards Danks, but figured it should go in talking baseball since it's mostly about the Texas organization and sort of effing up when it came to the Danks/McCarthy deal.

Mod Edit: Yep, that's a language filter violation. You've received warnings before I suggest you figure out the rules fast.

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I was thinking about how bad the Rangers and Phillies had to feel as they watched Danks and Floyd pitch the Sox into the playoffs.

Now, McCarthy could still be a good starter for them but so far..it looks very bad for them.
The Phillies will never recoup on their trade of Floyd for Freddy.
Thank you...Texas and Philly.

btrain929
10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I was thinking about how bad the Rangers and Phillies had to feel as they watched Danks and Floyd pitch the Sox into the playoffs.

Now, McCarthy could still be a good starter for them but so far..it looks very bad for them.

No, no. Thank you KW.

BadBobbyJenks
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
That should give Bmac a ton of confidence heading into 09!

The Immigrant
10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Phil Rogers thinks this thread sucks.

JermaineDye05
10-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Phil Rogers thinks this thread sucks.

Surprisingly in an article I read earlier today he actually said that the trade was a good one. However he said that some people bashed KW for the trade.....not mentioning himself.

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I read Rogers column and made note of that also...I was waiting for him to include himself as he was the loudest and most prominent voice calling out Kenny for his moves...but no, Phil took a pass on accepting the plate of crow.

I do not really dislike him or anything but he could be better. Yesterday he said the Kenny and Ozzie would have to use MB on three days rest if the series goes to 5 games....wrong!!!

Everyone makes mistakes but geezzz ..not that tough to count to four with MB pitching friday and then maybe on Wednesday.

jabrch
10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Tom Hicks has made a lot of mistakes. This one hurt - but not nearly as bad as the A-Rod deal did, both signing him to an unpalatable contract and then trading him and picking up much of the cost, only getting a few years of Soriano who they failed to convert into anything.

Hicks was really good in the private equity business. He was good in the realestate business.

Good he is not in the baseball business.

thedudeabides
10-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Surprisingly in an article I read earlier today he actually said that the trade was a good one. However he said that some people bashed KW for the trade.....not mentioning himself.

Yes, but he still can't let it go. In his article the day before, he called Danks a Texan with a bad attitude.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-080930-chicago-white-sox-playoffs-rogers,0,3968233.column

Oblong
10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I was going to compliment Hicks on building such a beautiful stadium but then I realized it was someone else who did that.

Yes, the Rangers are a mess of an organization. I think they and the Twins should switch divisions. :D:

turners56
10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Even Danks wouldn't fair that well in Arlington. That place is a black hole for pitchers.

JermaineDye05
10-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I just got rocked by the Mods

My bad :redface:

Blueprint1
10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Tom Hicks has made a lot of mistakes. This one hurt - but not nearly as bad as the A-Rod deal did, both signing him to an unpalatable contract and then trading him and picking up much of the cost, only getting a few years of Soriano who they failed to convert into anything.

Hicks was really good in the private equity business. He was good in the realestate business.

Good he is not in the baseball business.

Change that to sports business. He has done nothing but say stupid things since he took over Liverpool FC.

Tragg
10-02-2008, 09:39 PM

Side question - how did Freddie look on Monday? Statistically, he pitched well.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Even Danks wouldn't fair that well in Arlington. That place is a black hole for pitchers.

Left-handed ground ball pitchers tend to do OK there.

The Rangers were foolish for trading a LH groundball pitcher (Danks) for a right-handed flyball pitcher (McCarthy).

turners56
10-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Left-handed ground ball pitchers tend to do OK there.

The Rangers were foolish for trading a LH groundball pitcher (Danks) for a right-handed flyball pitcher (McCarthy).

Their infield is dry and fast. Nobody does well there.

Frater Perdurabo
10-02-2008, 10:19 PM

Right, and neither do visiting pitchers.

I understand why free agent pitchers do not want to come to Arlington.

But that's even more reason to hang onto good young pitchers, especailly LH ground ball pitchers.

Although all pitchers do poorly in Arlington, LH ground ball pitchers do tend to do better there than RH pitchers and flyball pitchers.

cws05champ
10-03-2008, 12:41 AM
The best thing they can do there is hire Rodger Bossard as a consultant and grow that infield think and lush... :smile:

jcw218
10-03-2008, 02:17 AM
The best thing they can do there is hire Rodger Bossard as a consultant and grow that infield think and lush... :smile:

IMO I don't think even Roger can help slow down that infield. Too much heat and not enought water. That field gets absolutely baked and ends up being like concrete.

doublem23
10-03-2008, 08:21 AM
I believe this was also the same press conference that Tom Hicks announced the sky was blue and the bears really do **** in the woods.

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2008, 04:38 PM
IMO I don't think even Roger can help slow down that infield. Too much heat and not enought water. That field gets absolutely baked and ends up being like concrete.

Yes, the sun bakes the ground down here. They probably would have to replace the entire playing surface and a few inches of topsoil, and then water the heck out of it every day.

palehozenychicty
10-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Yes, the sun bakes the ground down here. They probably would have to replace the entire playing surface and a few inches of topsoil, and then water the heck out of it every day.

Then put a roof over the ballpark. Otherwise, I can't imagine them ever being close to contending.

KenBerryGrab
10-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Danks wasn't a groundball pitcher in the Texas system. We have Coop to thank for the transition.

jabrch
10-03-2008, 05:47 PM

I'd think they could build an underground watering system if they were really creative to constantly keep moisture in. Who knows...I'm talking out of my ass on this one.