PDA

View Full Version : Joe Nathan is mad.

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 01:08 PM
According to the Score, Joe Nathan is upset with the tiebreak rule and plans to petition the players union to change the rule. No word if he wants it done retroactively so this year's tiebreak game can be re-played up north. Say it aint so,Joe:D:

Chicken Dinner
10-02-2008, 01:09 PM
**** him and his ****hole dome.

lukeman89
10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/30068729.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX

salty99
Who cares? This doesn't belong in this forum anyway.

Heffalump
according to the score, joe nathan is upset with the tiebreak rule and plans to petition the players union to change the rule. No word if he wants it done retroactively so this year's tiebreak game can be re-played up north. Say it aint so,joe:d:

cry baby cry !

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Who cares? This doesn't belong in this forum anyway.

I agree, moderators...sorry ,please move to the correct forum...my bad.

RadioheadRocks
10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
According to the Score, Joe Nathan is upset with the tiebreak rule and plans to petition the players union to change the rule. No word if he wants it done retroactively so this year's tiebreak game can be re-played up north. Say it aint so,Joe:D:

How about some cheese to go with that whine, Nathan?

spawn
10-02-2008, 01:16 PM
If they win 2 out of 3 against the Royals in that **** stain they call a ball park, the coin flip wouldn't be an issue. They need to blame themselves. They knew going into that last home series the repercussions of ending the season tied with the White Sox. Now they have to deal with the consequences.

asindc
10-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Wah, wah, wah!:whiner:

btrain929
10-02-2008, 01:21 PM
When you score 0 runs, you have a 0% chance of winning the game. Petition the offense for being terrible for 9 innings.

SoxSpeed22
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
You want to make the playoffs? Beat Kansas City at home. :whiner:
:violin:

kjhanson
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I didn't read through the longer thread (Dan Patrick cries) about this topic, so I apologize if this was already stated.

The reason MLB does the coin-flip is so that they can prepare for that extra tie-break game. Because it is played the day after the last game of the regular season, and is on national television, they have to be able to, in some cases, schedule a stadium, make travel arrangements, make tv arrangements, etc, etc. And then what if the teams are tied on the last day of the season in overall record, h2h record, division record, etc.? Then do you have a coin flip to determine where the game is played right after the final out of that last game of the season? And then based on that coin flip, the teams fly to the city that night? That's a disaster.

Palehose Pete
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I didn't read through the longer thread (Dan Patrick cries) about this topic, so I apologize if this was already stated.

The reason MLB does the coin-flip is so that they can prepare for that extra tie-break game. Because it is played the day after the last game of the regular season, and is on national television, they have to be able to, in some cases, schedule a stadium, make travel arrangements, make tv arrangements, etc, etc. And then what if the teams are tied on the last day of the season in overall record, h2h record, division record, etc.? Then do you have a coin flip to determine where the game is played right after the final out of that last game of the season? And then based on that coin flip, the teams fly to the city that night? That's a disaster.

Sounds like a logical approach to scheduling and logistics.

Not that Nathan or any of the mediots have the capacity to absorb any of this...

getonbckthr
10-02-2008, 01:35 PM

Which is why the NFL's tie-breaker should be used, starting next season.:D:

Palehose Pete
10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Here's what chaps my ass about the Twins being mad about the coin flip: When the flip was done a couple of weeks ago and the Sox won, there was nary a peep from the Twins or anyone else about the potential for the Sox to play the Twins at Comiskey for the tie breaker. When the Twins swept the Sox at home and sealed the deal for the best series record against the Sox, still, no one said a thing about the coin flip and playing at Comiskey. But when it became a reality over the weekend, then the Twins cried "foul." The principle that the Twins are complaining about was there for days before they had to come to Comiskey. If they didn't complain about it then, then they should shut the **** up about it now.

Sox4ever77
10-02-2008, 01:42 PM

They had the coin flip since many teams shared their stadium with a NFL team. Now sharing a stadium is rare. Twins, A's and maybe one other team. But the playoff game will almost always be on a Monday. There is only ONE, scheduled Monday night NFL game.

The Twins and Sox ended their season series about a week before the season ended. The Twins won the season series. That's enough time to plan for a possible tiebreaker.

TDog
10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I think the rule should be changed, but I don't feel sorry for him.

Tuesday's game was played on a baseball field, not in a pinball machine.

**** him, and the Twins.

I don't feel sorry for him, and I don't think the rule should be changed. If you have more than two teams involved in a pre-postseason playoff -- and with the wild card and teams with fewer losses reaching the level necessary for postseason baseball, the chances of that happening are enhanced -- the tiebraker can become just as arbitrary as the coin flip.

Of course, had the Twins tied with the Rays for the wild card, there would have to be a coin flip becuase the Twins split the four games in St. Petersburg and the two home games -- that's right, only two games at home and four total against the East Division winner against whom the White Sox played seven road games. They only played nine road games against the Twins. The Twins made up for this inequity by making two trips to Seattle.

Things are tough all over.

PennStater98r
10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
**** him - I still ask: why should a regular season game's home field advantage be determined by anything other than a coin toss?

What if two teams have 5 series - 3 of those series are going to have to be at one park (e.g. Metrodome) and 2 of them are going to be played at the other team's ballpark (e.g. The Cell).

How exactly is it fair to award home field advantage to the team that already had an advantage by having the extra series at home - should they have won the 'regular season' record (which they might not have considering that game 163 is still a regular season game).

GoGoCrede
10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
One of the comments said it best: Maybe Nathan shouldn't have blown save after save in September.

I distinctly remember him awarding Cleveland a walkoff.

MUsoxfan
10-02-2008, 01:53 PM
This must say alot for our home-field advantage.

thomas35forever
10-02-2008, 01:54 PM
:violin::violin::violin::violin:

Face it, Joe. Your team didn't get it done when it counted. If you didn't want the tiebreaker to happen, your team should've won their games. They didn't. Now you're at home. Go play some golf.

hi im skot
10-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Boo ****ing hoo.

BadBobbyJenks
10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't feel sorry for them...

However, the season series should decide who gets to host the game.
You can print tickets online now, there is no reason for a coin flip.

That said I am not going to apologize for getting to see that game at the Cell!

It's Dankerific
10-02-2008, 01:56 PM

Its not just fans needing tickets. Its media needing to be able to set up for the national broadcast. Its making sure they can staff the stadiums, etc.

TDog
10-02-2008, 01:57 PM

And/or the Twins'. How about some White Sox players petitioning the players' union to play the Twins in the home of the St. Paul Saints so they can play baseball instead of that arena ball garbage.

Iwritecode
10-02-2008, 02:13 PM
The Twins and Sox ended their season series about a week before the season ended. The Twins won the season series. That's enough time to plan for a possible tiebreaker.

So what happens when the season series ends on the last day of the season? Then there is NO time to plan.

Iwritecode
10-02-2008, 02:14 PM

I think it says more for their built-in homefield advantage. They know they are much better at the humpdome than on the road.

Beer Can Chicken
10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I think the coin flip is kind of bogus but they only sound like babies crying about it now and I'm not certainly complaining that it worked our way.
But its not really consistent with the rest of how MLB playoffs are decided.
If two teams were tied for 1st with .625 winning percentages and were tied for the best record in the AL, a coin flip wouldn't decide who got to win the division and who got to be the wild card, it would be head to head record. Fine, not a big deal considering both are going to the playoffs but the wild card team automatically forfeits home field advantage to the other division winner even if their record is better.

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2008, 02:33 PM
The Twins and Sox ended their season series about a week before the season ended. The Twins won the season series. That's enough time to plan for a possible tiebreaker.Three days actually, but don't let facts get in the way.

Eddo144
10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Which is why the NFL's tie-breaker should be used, starting next season.:D:
Eh, I suspect the NFL would use the MLB tiebreaker (play-in game(s)) if it was logistically feasible. But since the NFL only plays once a week, pushing back the first playoff games would result in the season being extended a full week instead of one day.

wilburaga
10-02-2008, 02:48 PM
This is such a manufactured issue IMHO. The Twins had 162 games to separate from the Sox. They failed. They flipped. They flopped.

W

EndemicSox
10-02-2008, 03:15 PM

Agreed...but the greedy blokes who set these things up NEED to know where the game is being played in advance.

soxinem1
10-02-2008, 03:51 PM
This is such a non-issue. What does Blow Nathan want, a best of three play-in format?

I'll bet he'd have NOTHING to say if MIN won, except 'the best team won!'

Nobody told his team to sit in their place with champagne waiting for us to lose.

Also, this flip was done a month ago. TBS should be prepared if they want to broadcast it.

Hitmen77
10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Boo ****ing hoo.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

If I'm not mistaken, MLB has had the coin flip for these situations for years now. Where was the outrage before the Sox won the coin flip?

turners56
10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Pfft. They couldn't beat KC at home. Boo hoo.

Iwritecode
10-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I was going to say the exact same thing.

If I'm not mistaken, MLB has had the coin flip for these situations for years now. Where was the outrage before the Sox won the coin flip?

Does anyone know exactly how long they've been doing the coin flip? I tried looking it up but didn't find anything.

Rockabilly
10-02-2008, 04:41 PM
**** this loser

He wouldn't being saying any **** if the Twins had won the coin toss...

It's always been this way

rustysurf83
10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
If this **** **** thinks its unfair he just needs to look at the interleague schedule. We had to play a first place team widely regarded as the best team in baseball ( I disagree but that doesn't matter) six games while the Twins got to play lesser opponents.

MHOUSE
10-02-2008, 08:41 PM
This is pretty classless from one of the best closers in the game. I hate the Twins, but I have always respected Joe Nathan until this noise. Be upset with your teammates for not giving you a gave to save.

turners56
10-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Nathan won't ever win this. Mostly because the wild card's tiebreaker can't be decided on head to head records alone due to an occurrence where two teams play each other a even amount of times (which happens a lot). Therefore, their season series could end up tied. Had the Sox won at least one more game in Minnesota, our season series would have been tied. So then what would you do in that situation? They do these coin flips ahead of time to get ready for the occasion. They can't wait until the last day of the season and do the flips. Maybe they can, but that's inconvenient.

They can revise it a little bit, but you cannot get rid of the coin flip because Selig decided that divisional teams should play each other a even amount of times now...:scratch:

Bobby Jenks
10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Nathan won't ever win this. Mostly because the wild card's tiebreaker can't be decided on head to head records alone due to an occurrence where two teams play each other a even amount of times (which happens a lot). Therefore, their season series could end up tied. Had the Sox won at least one more game in Minnesota, our season series would have been tied. So then what would you do in that situation? They do these coin flips ahead of time to get ready for the occasion. They can't wait until the last day of the season and do the flips. Maybe they can, but that's inconvenient.

They can revise it a little bit, but you cannot get rid of the coin flip because Selig decided that divisional teams should play each other a even amount of times now...:scratch:

I wouldn't say he'll never win it. He does have a legitimate point. The timing of which he said it makes it sounds like sour grapes. How would we feel if the situation was reversed?

turners56
10-02-2008, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't say he'll never win it. He does have a legitimate point. The timing of which he said it makes it sounds like sour grapes. How would we feel if the situation was reversed?

They lost the toss. Big deal. Play better than the other team. When you're telling people that home field advantage is the reason you lost, that's like saying you depend on your ballpark for wins. Which is what the Twins do anyhow. Behold world, the Twins will be more than ordinary after they move out of the dump called the Metrodome. They would then have to build a team that can't run out astroturf hoppers and depend on a bad hitting background in game 1s of a home series.

PKalltheway
10-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Cry me a river, Joe Nathan.:whiner: You guys should have been able to take the series from Kansas City in the last series of the season. Or maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't have ****ed up so many crucial games at the end of August/beginning of September.

If you want someone to blame, try looking in the mirror before you try to blame MLB for the fact that you guys couldn't get done when it counted.

Anyway, where was all of this uproar when the Padres played the Rockies last year? Or when the other one-game playoffs had occurred?

LongLiveFisk
10-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Sour grapes. If the Twins win the coin toss and win that game, I seriously doubt he gives it a second thought. :rolleyes:

pczarapa
10-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Loooooooooossssssssserr!!!

Vernam
10-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I think it says more for their built-in homefield advantage. They know they are much better at the humpdome than on the road.Exactly. For those ****s to complain that Bossard and Co. put too much water on the dirt in front of home plate is one of the most outrageous examples of whining I've ever seen. Their whole franchise is based on slapping balls around on that rubberized crap they play on. They have an obscenely high winning percentage in the first games of their home series because visiting teams can't see pitches against their bush-league Baggie backdrop.

What's especially disgraceful about the Twins' behavior is that Tuesday's game was an absolute gem on the part of both teams. Had that been a World Series game, it would've been held up forever as a classic. Instead of being proud that they were part of something so special, albeit in a losing effort, they're revealing themselves as punks.

I used to buy into the Twins mystique. I do still admire their player development and their manager. But they are now an ordinary team with an extraordinary homefield advantage. That's for 81 games per year, but you don't hear our guys talk about petitioning the league for relief.

Vernam

Brian26
10-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Maybe he should be mad at himself. If Nathan didn't throw that ball away in Oakland, the tie-breaker never would have been necessary.

:rolleyes:

Brian26
10-02-2008, 10:45 PM
**** this loser

He wouldn't being saying any **** if the Twins had won the coin toss...

It's always been this way

If the air-conditioning in Minnesota wasn't blowing out when the Twins were at bat, Denny Hocking's homer off Foulke never gets over the tarp in RF.

Brian26
10-02-2008, 10:47 PM
If this **** **** thinks its unfair he just needs to look at the interleague schedule.

If they had interleague back in Blyleven's day, he would have feasted on crap NL teams and racked up 400 wins...enough to make the HOF. Instead, he sucks and will never get in.

:rolling:

nccwsfan
10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Is it me or is this the first time there's been any bitching whatsoever about the coin flip? Didn't seem to be a problem last year, in 99', 98', 95', etc.

Maybe next year Joe. Probably not, but maybe...

soltrain21
10-03-2008, 12:28 AM
I get mad at Nathan's stupid soul patch, so it looks like we are even.

TwinKess
10-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Oh give me a break. There would be the same number of whining Sox fans and players if the situation had been reversed!

esbrechtel
10-03-2008, 11:26 AM
109 posts or not :dtroll: go complain on the Twins fan forum

Madscout
10-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Oh give me a break. There would be the same number of whining Sox fans and players if the situation had been reversed!
I would have been whining that we let Cleveland take 2 out of 3 from us at home. I am happy to be in the playoffs, but I realize we are damn lucky to be there.

AnkleSox
10-03-2008, 11:29 AM

And they would be wrong for doing so. Nathan should be complaining about all the saves he blew down the stretch. If he didn't crap his pants then, there would have been no need for the coin flip.

cws05champ
10-03-2008, 01:04 PM
True. But as pointed out, where was the outrage when the coin flip was done? NONE. If the Twins had won the coin flip or just won the game on Tuesday, would there be nary a word said by Nathan? Don't think so. Now it's just :whiner::whiner:

nccwsfan
10-03-2008, 04:06 PM

It was never a problem until this year- why is that? I don't remember the outrage by San Diego travelling to Denver last year or the outrage by teams who lost the coin flip this year (or any other year for that matter).

AZChiSoxFan
10-03-2008, 04:14 PM
You want to make the playoffs? Beat Kansas City at home. :whiner:

Totally agree. Furthermore, the coin flip is fine because we played a different (more difficult) schedule than the Twins did. They didn't play 6 games this year vs. the team that had the best record in the NL, did they?

PatK
10-03-2008, 04:36 PM

He doesn't have a legitimate point- he's arguing about rules that were put in place years ago.

chaerulez
10-04-2008, 02:57 AM
The timing of his complaining is bad, he should've said this weeks ago, but he does have a point. It would be more fair if the home field was decided by the winner of the season series or division record. I can only imagine the posts here if we won the season series and then had to play the tie breaker at that crappy dome up north.

FarWestChicago
10-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Who ****ing cares what Joe Nathan thinks, other than the Nathan butt suckers who have shown up in this thread and the other one. :dunno: