PDA

View Full Version : ALDS Face value

Scotty347
10-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Can someone tell me what the face value of the tickets are for ALDS in the different sections?

I haven't had any luck finding this while searching online.

Bob G
10-02-2008, 10:36 AM
My ALDS upper deck box (sec 538) tickets show $40 - not sure about the other sections.

jackbrohamer
10-02-2008, 10:38 AM
My Club Level seats for the ALDS are $55 each.

Scotty347
10-02-2008, 10:41 AM
My ALDS upper deck box (sec 538) tickets show $40 - not sure about the other sections.

Ok I guess I found the pricing, but it doesn't match up to what you are saying.
http://outfield.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/postseason/postseason.jsp#pricing

salty99
10-02-2008, 10:44 AM
How so? It says right there club level is $55.

It does says upper box $50 and upper reserved $40.

There is no premium club and premium upper box for the playoffs.

Bob G
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Ok I guess I found the pricing, but it doesn't match up to what you are saying.
http://outfield.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/postseason/postseason.jsp#pricing
Not sure why unless I'm actually in upper level reserved but this is what's shown on the ticket - I was looking at them this morning before I left for work.

Scotty347
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
How so? It says right there club level is $55.

It does says upper box $50 and upper reserved $40.

There is no premium club and premium upper box for the playoffs.

I was referring to Bob's post saying he has Upper Box and they are $40. The website says they should be $50.

Maybe his seats were reclassified as Upper Reserved for the playoffs.

esbrechtel
10-02-2008, 10:57 AM
glad to see stubhub has $40 tix for well over double the price what an awesome partnership

DumpJerry
10-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Season tickets are less than the box office price.

jabrch
10-02-2008, 11:03 AM
glad to see stubhub has $40 tix for well over double the price what an awesome partnership

Can't blame stubhub or the Sox for that. They are just the vehicle for the transaction. Sellers ask what they want. Buyers pay it or not. The partnership isn't the reason the prices are over face - the demand is the reason.

It's not like the Sox are putting tickets up there and pocketing the money above and beyond face. What kind of crappy organization would do that?

UofCSoxFan
10-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Can't blame stubhub or the Sox for that. They are just the vehicle for the transaction. Sellers ask what they want. Buyers pay it or not. The partnership isn't the reason the prices are over face - the demand is the reason.

It's not like the Sox are putting tickets up there and pocketing the money above and beyond face. What kind of crappy organization would do that?

Careful, you don't want to discus the basis of free market economics with people that are mad they didn't win the ticket lottery (full disclosure: I am part of that group that got shut out too). :D: Seriously, if tickets are selling for $75 in the secondary market, one should argue that fans were lucky the Sox didn't charge more than $40, since they are obviously worth more, not that Stubhub, or the Sox (?) somehow are screwing people.

I for one am glad that if I wanted to pay $x for a ticket and someone was willing to sell the ticket for that amount there is a vehicle for me to make this purchase that doesn't involve a guy in a hooded sweatshirt on a street corner, even if that amount is more than the somewhat arbitrary (in terms of how much I personally value the ticket) face value.

Sox4ever77
10-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Careful, you don't want to discus the basis of free market economics with people that are mad they didn't win the ticket lottery (full disclosure: I am part of that group that got shut out too). :D: Seriously, if tickets are selling for $75 in the secondary market, one should argue that fans were lucky the Sox didn't charge more than $40, since they are obviously worth more, not that Stubhub, or the Sox (?) somehow are screwing people.

I for one am glad that if I wanted to pay $x for a ticket and someone was willing to sell the ticket for that amount there is a vehicle for me to make this purchase that doesn't involve a guy in a hooded sweatshirt on a street corner, even if that amount is more than the somewhat arbitrary (in terms of how much I personally value the ticket) face value.

I thought MLB set the prices for postseason tickets.

jabrch
10-02-2008, 12:00 PM

First off - hold your horses - you may not have yet been shut out. Emails not sent yet - so you don't know. (assuming you registered for the draw) Second, MLB sets the prices, I believe, not the teams. I'm sure if the teams had their way, they'd charge even more.

The best part of stubhub is that the transaction is 100% safe. You have a solid guarantee on the side of stubhub, with the seller having to put his credit card up as collateral. You are protected if the game doesn't happen, and you can buy tickets knowing they will be authentic. (I have yet to hear of anyone getting screwed via Stubhub, and Stubhub not making good on it. I have talked to their folks a few times and really like their business model. It's a well run operation.

Take a look at WS tickets. Right now you can get lowers for under $1500. If the WS is Sox vs Cubs, the person buying a $225 ticket today for 6 times face will still be able to double their money - more or less. Stubhub has its share of bargains - but that is based on a relatively open market with buyers and sellers being unrestricted to price as they please (I know the fees involved distort it from a "pure" market perspective, but they are part of the overall cost.

I'm a HUGE stubhub fan, both as a buy and a seller. The association with MLB doesn't make that better or worse in my eyes. It certainly hasn't yet poisoned the spirit or the effectiveness of the Stubhub process. And the MLB/Sox process of selling tickets is still relatively fair, as long as you agree with the principle that those who buy 81 games a year, those who buy 27 games a year, and those who by even 11 games a year, up front, before knowing what's happening, deserve special privledges. (If you don't - then that's a different story) But in any case, I'll take Stubhub, as you said, over the guy in the hoodie on the corner, of even the professional scalping operations that have heavy overhead.

This is fans dealing with fans via an intermediary to handle the transaction. It's pretty damn cool as far as I am concerned.

NoNeckEra
10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Season tickets are less than the box office price.
Postseason Pricing for Season Tix Holders - non STH pricing in ():
ALDS: $40(50), 50(60), 50(60), 55(65), 55(65) - top price for boxes.
ALCS: From $70-115 for STH & from $80-130 for non STH pricing
WS: From $100-225 for STH & non STH

itsnotrequired
10-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I thought MLB set the prices for postseason tickets.

They set the price printed on the ticket. If the holder wants to sell it for some other value, up to and including a sack of magic beans, MLB has little input.

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Any chance the Sox will sell standing room tickets for this weekend on day of game like they did on Tuesday?

It would be nice to throw a bone to us peons and add to the atmosphere but I realize that MLB probably calls the shots.

champagne030
10-02-2008, 12:38 PM

The Sox (and all teams) are making a profit on tickets sold through StubHub. Teams also know who bought tickets, who sold tickets and the sale price of each ticket.