PDA

View Full Version : It's time to put Swisher back in the lineup!

Whitesoxfan23
10-02-2008, 07:34 AM
I realize that he was going through a real rough stretch, but we really need him to at least have the opportunity to step it up. I'm sick of Wise being trotted out there. Give Swisher another chance.

tstrike2000
10-02-2008, 07:44 AM
He may have to if Wise doesn't start hitting.

LITTLE NELL
10-02-2008, 07:54 AM
I agree, time to put Swish back in the lineup. Wise has'nt shown much lately plus he stinks in LF.

harwar
10-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I don't know .. remember what Crash told Meat .. "never **** with a winning streak."

balz1472
10-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I know that Ozzie keeps preaching that Wise gives us a better shot to win cause of his speed, but if he doesn't get on base; how is that true? At least Swish will take some pitches. Put him back in the 8-9 hole and he can be a 2nd leadoff guy. Wise is awful, which is why he has been a minor leaguer his whole career... until KW started his man-crush on him.

munchman33
10-02-2008, 08:08 AM
:threadsucks:

Seriously, we might not even be in the playoffs had Ozzie not pulled him from everyday use. Why put him in now?

Craig Grebeck
10-02-2008, 08:12 AM
:threadsucks:

Seriously, we might not even be in the playoffs had Ozzie not pulled him from everyday use. Why put him in now?
Because he's a good player who plays above average defense in the corners. As opposed to a career minor leaguer who is kinda fast but has no other tools.

Have any tangible evidence/argument/attempt at decent baseball knowledge?

White City
10-02-2008, 08:12 AM
I don't know .. remember what Crash told Meat .. "never **** with a winning streak."

Wise was playing every day and getting out every time when we had that losing streak, too. He has contributed nothing since that grand slam -- he's been trying to relive it, I suppose.

SouthPaw72
10-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I like Swisher alot but Im afraid to Rock the Boat. One thing I can say about him is he has the passion to play. I can't say that for Wise.

Dan Mega
10-02-2008, 09:01 AM
:

Because he is still better than Wise.

GAsoxfan
10-02-2008, 09:01 AM
If the Sox decide to replace Wise, I'd rather see Anderson than Swisher. I don't expect Wise, Swisher, or Anderson to do much of anything offensively against the Rays' pitching, so you might as well have the best defensive outfielder out there in center with Griffey in left.

guillensdisciple
10-02-2008, 09:11 AM
If the Sox decide to replace Wise, I'd rather see Anderson than Swisher. I don't expect Wise, Swisher, or Anderson to do much of anything offensively against the Rays' pitching, so you might as well have the best defensive outfielder out there in center with Griffey in left.

I want to see Swisher out there next year because I believe the guy has potential to do some damage. Just had an off month that everyone is destroying him over.

However, Anderson is a very good choice at the moment, and has built himself up to be a good baseball player this year. He has played well enough where I am starting to hope the Sox consider putting him into center for next year just to see how he plays out.

munchman33
10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Because he is still better than Wise.

Not as a #2 hitter. We've got two guys on the roster capable of doing what needs to be done at that spot in the lineup (in regards to handling the bat and having speed). One of those guys leads off. The other is Wise.

I'm not saying he's great at it. But, for now, this team is better with Wise in the lineup over Swisher.

Sad
10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
yep
Swisher in
Wise out

Wise is terrible defensively...

bat Swisher last if need be...

Bob G
10-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I would like to see BA in the Friday lineup facing the lefty.

As far as Swish goes - I wouldn't mind seeing him back in the fold, maybe the time off he had will help. He might have been wound up too tight ...

PorkChopExpress
10-02-2008, 09:21 AM
I want to see Swisher out there next year because I believe the guy has potential to do some damage. Just had an off month that everyone is destroying him over.

However, Anderson is a very good choice at the moment, and has built himself up to be a good baseball player this year. He has played well enough where I am starting to hope the Sox consider putting him into center for next year just to see how he plays out.

He had a pretty terrible year, and only about one good month. That being said, I still would rather he play than Wise. I can't stand to see Wise pop-out to third any more. Like someone else said, what good is his speed if he is swinging for the fences? With his speed he should be hitting gorund balls and legging them out. For every pop up, he needs to do 20 push ups.

Jose.Contreras
10-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I want to see Swisher out there next year because I believe the guy has potential to do some damage. Just had an off month that everyone is destroying him over. .

Oh please. Swisher...just an off month...in September!?!?! He batted .193 in July, .224 in August and then .164 in September. The last month of the season was just his absolute worst of all the bad ones. Swisher has SUUUUUCKED for the entire season, especially the last months. Don't pretend that Swisher is getting a raw deal. You can't defend this man. He may be a cool guy and a great clubhouse guy but the fact is that he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I don't want him on the field unless it's to pinch hit late and we're desperate.

Craig Grebeck
10-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Not as a #2 hitter. We've got two guys on the roster capable of doing what needs to be done at that spot in the lineup (in regards to handling the bat and having speed). One of those guys leads off. The other is Wise.

I'm not saying he's great at it. But, for now, this team is better with Wise in the lineup over Swisher.
Unfortunately, lineup numbers aren't positions. Swisher is a better LF than Wise, that's not a question.

mcfish
10-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I agree that it's time to end the Wise experiment in LF. I don't care who replaces him - Anderson or Swish are both far better options right now.

jabrch
10-02-2008, 09:35 AM
It's a crapshoot either way. To say there is a definitive right or wrong answer to this question is pure fantasy...

mcfish
10-02-2008, 09:37 AM
It's a crapshoot either way. To say there is a definitive right or wrong answer to this question is pure fantasy...
I think the answer is "put your best defense on the field." None of them are great offensive options, so why are we starting the worst fielder? And why is he batting second???

Sad
10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh please. Swisher...just an off month...in September!?!?! He batted .193 in July, .224 in August and then .164 in September. The last month of the season was just his absolute worst of all the bad ones. Swisher has SUUUUUCKED for the entire season, especially the last months. Don't pretend that Swisher is getting a raw deal. You can't defend this man. He may be a cool guy and a great clubhouse guy but the fact is that he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I don't want him on the field unless it's to pinch hit late and we're desperate.

he does not suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck in LF

Wise does...

Jaffar
10-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Offensively this is true but Anderson and Swisher would play better D in LF and if all 3 of your options are going to hit .000/.000 put your best D out there.

champagne030
10-02-2008, 09:41 AM

Wise cannot handle the bat. Have you seen his recent bunt attempts? Pathetic! We shouldn't be trying to manufacture runs unless trailing in the 9th by one run (and at that point you could pinch hit Wise and then not waste outs by having him bat earlier in the game). Plus, we're horrible at it and this offense will live and die during the playoffs, just like the regular season, on the home run.

tstrike2000
10-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Right now speed is about the only thing keeping Wise going. What is he, like 2 for his last 25? Plus, the defense in LF is below average. It is a crapshoot based on how bad Swisher's been. However, we can't have Wise sucking in the 2 hole in the playoffs and substandard defense. Ozzie bats someone else second, put Swish in LF, tell him to only bat left handed, and obviously he bats lower in the lineup.

Carolina Kenny
10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
When the time is right, Ozzie will use Swish. Trust in Ozzie.

asindc
10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Offensively this is true but Anderson and Swisher would play better D in LF and if all 3 of your options are going to hit .000/.000 put your best D out there.

As much as I advocate having speed in the lineup, if Wise isn't going to get on base, I would rather have Swish or BA out there. Wise is the worst OF on the team, which is particularly bad since he is the fastest guy on the team. I'm not too bent out of shape about this, though, since games 1 and 2 are in a dome and, as an earlier poster said, it worked well enough to get us here.

voodoochile
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately, lineup numbers aren't positions. Swisher is a better LF than Wise, that's not a question.

He also has potentially a much bigger bat. Yes the key word in that sentence is potentially, but say he goes 0/10 3BB over the next 3 games. He's still reaching base as often as Wise has been recently. Wise was a nice addition when the Sox were playing KC and Baltimore and facing #5 starters fresh from AAA during the season, but now when the Sox are facing playoff caliber pitchers Wise is showing his true colors.

Start Swish, stick him in the two hole where he'll see some fastballs or at least where his sole offensive ability recently (drawing walks) will lead to the big guns seeing pitches with people on base more often. It can't hurt and if he finds his stick AND TCQ comes back sometime next week, the Sox will have the problem of having too much talent... oh darn...

A.T. Money
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Not gonna happen. Wise has pictures.

esbrechtel
10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
He had a pretty terrible year, and only about one good month. That being said, I still would rather he play than Wise. I can't stand to see Wise pop-out to third any more. Like someone else said, what good is his speed if he is swinging for the fences? With his speed he should be hitting gorund balls and legging them out. For every pop up, he needs to do 20 push ups.

That is exactly right we need to put the Willie Mays Hayes rule into effect..."You may run like Mays but you hit like ****..."

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 10:14 AM
When the time is right, Ozzie will use Swish. Trust in Ozzie.

Many on here seem to think that Ozzie has no clue about baseball.

Ozzie is a professional baseball lifer whose job is to make these kinds of calls and so many on here think it is a no-brainer....LOL.

DWise will get on base today and steal at least one base. Little things are huge in these games. Like that stolen base by DWise vs tigers on monday. It may have ultimately put the sox in the playoffs. Swish never gets to second that day on his own and the whole inning changes. Trust Ozzie,now more than ever...he is 11-1 in the playoffs. He is not an idiot.

10-02-2008, 10:19 AM

Ozzie is a professional baseball lifer whose job is to make these kinds of calls and so many on here think it is a no-brainer....LOL.

DWise will get on base today and steal at least one base. Little things are huge in these games. Like that stolen base by DWise vs tigers on monday. It may have ultimately put the sox in the playoffs. Swish never gets to second that day on his own and the whole inning changes. Trust Ozzie,now more than ever...he is 11-1 in the playoffs. He is not an idiot.

I like your optimism and you have some good points here.

If it were me, I'd have seen enough of DeWayne Wise, he has not been good at the plate nor in the field. I would have Swisher out there and see if they can catch lightning in a bottle, plus Swisher would make the pitcher work.

But, as you suggest, I (we) are not close to the situation, Guillen is. Doesn't make him right and us wrong, but you are correct, he has his reasons and plays his hunches.

At the end of this, at least no one can say DeWayne Wise didn't get his chances.

voodoochile
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM

I admit that my support for OG isn't what it once was, but it's not as low as it was last week after the twinkie disaster. He got the team to the playoffs despite some devastating injuries and a horrible run offensively late in the year.

He definitely has the players buying in and that's what managers are supposed to do. I'll take my crow with a healthy dose of salt please...

Jaffar
10-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I admit that my support for OG isn't what it once was, but it's not as low as it was last week after the twinkie disaster. He got the team to the playoffs despite some devastating injuries and a horrible run offensively late in the year.

He definitely has the players buying in and that's what managers are supposed to do. I'll take my crow with a healthy dose of salt please...

I ate my crow on Wise starting a few weeks ago but I'm having a hard time keeping it down, I think the crow I was served was bad.

34 Inch Stick
10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Little things are huge in these games. Like that stolen base by DWise vs tigers on monday. It may have ultimately put the sox in the playoffs. .

...or cutting a ball off before it gets to the wall to hold a person to a single instead of a double as he did not do with Cuddyer's hit on Monday. That may ultimately have cost the Sox the playoffs.

Eddo144
10-02-2008, 10:49 AM

I don't think Ozzie has no clue about baseball; in fact, I think he has very good baseball knowledge.

His biggest flaw, like most managers, is that he wants to be in control too much. Baseball is ultimately a game of execution, batter vs. pitcher. Too often, Ozzie thinks he can put some "spark" into the lineup by having a hitter bunt or steal or something of that nature.

The most important skill for a manager to have is to know his players' strengths and weaknesses in order to put them in a position to succeed. If a player is a bad bunter, don't ask him to bunt. If he's a poor outfielder, don't put him in CF. If his only skill is speed, use him as a pinch runner.

If I were a manager, the only in-game decisions I would make on a regular basis would be pitching changes. Occasionally, late in close games, I would put in a pinch runner. I would only call for a bunt in two situations:
1. Down by one run, 7th inning or later, runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs, poor hitter (but good bunter) at the plate. This would put two runners in scoring position without giving up the at bat of a good hitter.
2. Tie game, bottom of the 8th or later, fast runner on 1st, zero or one out, poor hitter (but good bunter) at the plate. This would put the fast runner in scoring position without giving up the at bat of a good hitter. If I were trailing by one run, I wouldn't want to give up one of my final two or three outs.

Beer Can Chicken
10-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Though I'm nervous about changing what has worked the last couple of days....In the dome, I'd like to see our best possible defensive OF. Swisher in LF, Anderson CF. The Rays are going to try and take extra bases all day on us. I think our defense is what gets us a win or two at the Juice Box

thedudeabides
10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm on board with this only because the streak is still going. I trust Ozzie in important games, as he has given me no reason not to.

The problem with playing Swish is he is a terrible two hitter. He doesn't make enough contact and doesn't handle the bat at all. It almost forces you to put AJ back in that spot, which I hate. Ditto with BA.

I know Wise hasn't been doing much of anything lately, with the exception of the important stolen base Monday, but we have seen him do a couple things that the other options can't provide.

That being said, this is probably Wise's last chance, and Swisher or Anderson should play regardless tomorrow.

thomas35forever
10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't care what happens, but if Wise doesn't start hitting, then his speed goes for naught. If we lose today and Wise isn't helping, then I think it's time to put Swish back in the lineup.

DaveFeelsRight
10-02-2008, 11:28 AM
why not put alexei leading off? he did very good leading off against the O's

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Weird Factoid: James Shields, today's starter for the Rays..his mom and Aaron Rowand's mom are sisters....go figure.:tongue:

Dave Wills says he pitches with the same football mentality as Aaron.
Small world.

Chicken Dinner
10-02-2008, 11:32 AM
3 for 31 in the last 10 games isn't cutting it. Play Swish!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=276547

Heffalump
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Weird Factoid: James Shields, today's starter for the Rays..his mom and Aaron Rowand's mom are sisters....go figure.:tongue:

Dave Wills says he pitches with the same football mentality as Aaron.
Small world.

uh, wouldn't that make them cousins? (a bit easier to say than the above)

asindc
10-02-2008, 11:40 AM
why not put alexei leading off? he did very good leading off against the O's

I think Ozzie prefers him in the middle of the lineup because he is our best hitter w/RISP.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-02-2008, 01:09 PM
uh, wouldn't that make them cousins? (a bit easier to say than the above)

That's what I was thinking.

On a slightly off-topic note, I'm normally against having Griffey in CF because I think his defensive liability is greater than his offensive asset, but I think he might come through in this series. I just saw a picture of him joking around with Dye while stretching before the game, and I think his enthusiasm and desire could help this team. There are a lot of older players on this team, and older guys seem to have less excitement in these situations (personal interpretation). Hopefully Griffey will help motivate everybody.

10-02-2008, 02:19 PM
How about tomorrow!

EndemicSox
10-02-2008, 02:20 PM
We'll see about tommorow, not sure how he fairs against lefties...but I'll eat some crow...:bandance::gulp::bandance:

Evman5
10-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Bench Wise!