PDA

View Full Version : Danks to start game 3

gf2020
10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Danks and Floyd are being switched up in the rotation:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-081001-chicago-white-sox-tampa-bay-rays-alcs,0,3899831.story

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I heard gonzo say that today ....said that Ozzie wants a lefty in game 3 to control their running game. I think he is thinking that we could need that game to stay alive and Danks is hot and can hold the runners close.
Danks said he was just happy to get the ball....he wants the ball every time.

Danks also said when he woke up this morning his whole body was locked up in a cramp...then said he would take it every day if it followed an outing like last nite. Did not indicate it was a problem for his next start. I was wondering if it was because he went 8 or was it dehydration from too much champagne?

Farmio said the players were happy and enthused but were not drinking on the plane down to tampa.

Save McCuddy's
10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Interesting call. If Ozzie believes in leftys at all costs against this team, why isn't Clay going in game 1?

guillensdisciple
10-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Interesting call. If Ozzie believes in leftys at all costs against this team, why isn't Clay going in game 1?

Rookie, inexperience, no proven starts except for one. If you give me an outstanding reason to put him out there, then maybe he should but I have a feeling you will give me a blank on this one.

Adele_H
10-01-2008, 11:17 PM

For the same reason MaCarthy didn't start game 1 of 2005 ALDS.

Then again, 2005 MaCarthy > 2008 Richard.

Madscout
10-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Always thought that they never wanted to go MB then Danks because they are similar, but I almost would like Tampa to see MB and then try and do the same things against Danks. They'd be in for a big surprise.

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Gonzo said ozzie says that floyd would be in the bullpen tomorrow...hmmm.
Is Floyd the backup plan for Javy if he gets into early trouble?
maybe ozzie and coop are messing with madden?

Baseball chess match? I like Ozzie.

Mohoney
10-01-2008, 11:25 PM
It's a little strange seeing two lefties in a row, as it gives any platoon players back-to-back games to get into a groove, but I guess with the travel day in between, it doesn't matter all that much.

Adele_H
10-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Gonzo said ozzie says that floyd would be in the bullpen tomorrow...hmmm.
Is Floyd the backup plan for Javy if he gets into early trouble?

It's always nice to have a back-up plan.

But I'll be blunt as always: if Javy decides to suck tomorrow and is bad enough (say, 3 innings, 6 runs) to be yanked prematurely, it probably paves way for Sox losing the series.

Game 1 is huge. I don't know if it applies to ALDS, but somebody mentioned that the winner of Game 1 of NLDS historically went on to win the series 24 out of 28 times.

Javy is Mr. Big Contract by way of Mr. Golden Arm. Unlike, say, Sheets, Harden or Beckett who are going through nagging injury spells and at least have some semblance of an excuse not to be at their 100%... Vazquez is supposedly as healthy as Nolan Ryan.

So yeah, Vazquez needs to come through; failure is NOT an option. For reals.

mcfish
10-02-2008, 01:16 AM
It's always nice to have a back-up plan.

But I'll be blunt as always: if Javy decides to suck tomorrow and is bad enough (say, 3 innings, 6 runs) to be yanked prematurely, it probably paves way for Sox losing the series.

Game 1 is huge. I don't know if it applies to ALDS, but somebody mentioned that the winner of Game 1 of NLDS historically went on to win the series 24 out of 28 times.

Javy is Mr. Big Contract by way of Mr. Golden Arm. Unlike, say, Sheets, Harden or Beckett who are going through nagging injury spells and at least have some semblance of an excuse not to be at their 100%... Vazquez is supposedly as healthy as Nolan Ryan.

So yeah, Vazquez needs to come through; failure is NOT an option. For reals.I would really hope that Javy's leash is shorter than 3 innings, 6 runs. Personally, I hope he goes 5-6 innings, 0-2 runs, so call me an optimist I guess.

PutItOnBoardYES
10-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Rookie, inexperience, no proven starts except for one. If you give me an outstanding reason to put him out there, then maybe he should but I have a feeling you will give me a blank on this one.

Can you give any good reasons why Javy should get the ball? I can't.

btrain929
10-02-2008, 07:36 AM

He has good stats vs TB (3.5 era vs them, 2.7 @ Tropicana) this year, and let's face it, he HAS to have a good game here sometime. We didn't have the luxury of setting the rotation up how we would have liked. If we clinched with a week to go, I think our rotation would be Mark/Gavin/Danks/Javy. But we didn't, so we adjust. If we score 9 runs tomorrow, it won't matter anyways.

mcfish
10-02-2008, 07:43 AM
He'll be going on full rest while none of the better options would be,
even with pushing Buehrle to game 2 he'll still be available on full rest for a potential game 5,
Javy's been in playoff situations before,
he's shown the ability to shut down teams before,
he's had good outings in the ballpark we're playing in this season,
none of the rookie call up options have any experience in this type of situation,
he needs a chance to redeem himself,
there's no reason we can't have a very short leash with him and pull him at the first sign of trouble,
he's had 3 bad outings in a row, so he's due...

Now, reasons why your preferred September call up should start game 1 instead...

harwar
10-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Farmio said the players were happy and enthused but were not drinking on the plane down to tampa.

i had NO IDEA that was even possible ...

PutItOnBoardYES
10-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Now, reasons why your preferred September call up should start game 1 instead...

Vasquez hasn't won a game since mid-September. He hasn't lasted past the fifth inning since that start. I believe I read a stat last week that he has only one win against teams over .500 this year. His manager and "friend" called him out last week as not being a Big Game pitcher, which I'm sure is in Javy's head now. The good thing is I'm sure he will be on a short leash and Gavin will be ready if called on early.

White City
10-02-2008, 08:26 AM
IF Vazquez can go six and get some run support, then you could run Richard in the seventh, Thornton in the eighth, and Jenks in the ninth. Then ask Buehrle to go 7 or 8 innings tomorrow, with Carrasco + Dotel + Linebrink in some combination.

If Vazquez craps the bed but our offense keeps us in it, THEN you run Richard out there as a lefty to try to steal 3 or 4 innings.

Richard really could be a key in this series. He could be a one-batter loogey, a one-inning bridge like I mentioned in the first scenario, or a longer-inning backstop to another bad outing by Vazquez.

StepsInSC
10-02-2008, 08:41 AM
It's a little strange seeing two lefties in a row, as it gives any platoon players back-to-back games to get into a groove, but I guess with the travel day in between, it doesn't matter all that much.

Tampa Bay is below average against lefties. We need lefties starting as many games as we can against them.

mcfish
10-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Vasquez hasn't won a game since mid-September. He hasn't lasted past the fifth inning since that start. I believe I read a stat last week that he has only one win against teams over .500 this year. His manager and "friend" called him out last week as not being a Big Game pitcher, which I'm sure is in Javy's head now. The good thing is I'm sure he will be on a short leash and Gavin will be ready if called on early.
I'd still rather have a veteran out there than a guy with less than 10 big league starts to his name. That's just going to have to be something we agree to disagree on I guess.

And I don't think we need Javy to go deep into the game, we just need him to take care of 5-6 innings. There's too much emphasis on this team to get starters deep into games, from both the coaches and WSI. It's ok if our starters don't go 7+ innings every single outing - we have the bullpen for a reason.

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd still rather have a veteran out there than a guy with less than 10 big league starts to his name. That's just going to have to be something we agree to disagree on I guess.

And I don't think we need Javy to go deep into the game, we just need him to take care of 5-6 innings. There's too much emphasis on this team to get starters deep into games, from both the coaches and WSI. It's ok if our starters don't go 7+ innings every single outing - we have the bullpen for a reason.

Before he worked on 3 days rest vs the Yankees,then went against the twins then the indians on 3days again last week, Javy had 7 straight quality starts. maybe he cannot go on 3 days rest? I will gamble with a guy that has had 7 of 8 decent starts when fully rested over the last two months rather than the alternative. But it is the playoffs so you do have the quick hook.

FielderJones
10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Javy's been in playoff situations before

Yeah, he had his usual 5th inning meltdown (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B10090MIN2004.htm) against the Twinkies in 2004 and then did a great job putting out the fire (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B10160BOS2004.htm) against the Red Sox when Brown got shelled. He was the lucky recipient of a 5-spot to get the win after giving up 4. In game 7, same deal (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B10200NYA2004.htm).

So no, big game Javy doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

mcfish
10-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, he had his usual 5th inning meltdown (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B10090MIN2004.htm) against the Twinkies in 2004 and then did a great job putting out the fire (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B10160BOS2004.htm) against the Red Sox when Brown got shelled. He was the lucky recipient of a 5-spot to get the win after giving up 4. In game 7, same deal (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B10200NYA2004.htm).

So no, big game Javy doesn't inspire much confidence in me.So let him go 4 innings and pull him in the 5th. I don't need to see Javy go deep, I just need him to throw 5 good innings. Let Clayton Richard go 3 after that then.

And there is something to be said for experiencing the situation of a playoff game/atmosphere, whatever the outcome. Richard's 8 total career starts have not prepared him at all for this. Javy has 3 postseason starts under his belt already to help him prepare.

Anyway, enough of this for now... We'll see in 1 minute how the decision to go with Javy turns out.

mcfish
10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
The leash should have been shorter. I still think you had to start Javy in that situation.

PutItOnBoardYES
10-02-2008, 03:45 PM
The leash should have been shorter. I still think you had to start Javy in that situation.

I wholeheartedly disagree. He continues to give you nothing. In my opinion he's not even worthy of a bullpen spot on playoff roster if not for the fact that our bullpen blows.

BadBobbyJenks
10-02-2008, 05:17 PM
For the same reason MaCarthy didn't start game 1 of 2005 ALDS.

Then again, 2005 MaCarthy > 2008 Richard.

Awful comparison. The 2008 pitching staff cannot be compared to the 2005 pitching staff.