PDA

View Full Version : Per Jesse Rodgers: Richard & Russell IN, H.Ramirez & MacDougal OUT

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Jesse Rodgers is currently on The Score and hasn't completely articulated the whole roster; but, it has been announced that Ramirez and MacDougal aren't on it, but Richard and Russell made the roster.

I definitely am happy about this, because the later two could do so much more than the first two.

oeo
10-01-2008, 06:43 PM
I like Richard over Ramirez, but I'm not so sure about Russell. He's essentially MacDougal (can't throw strikes) with worse stuff. I'm surprised by the move, too, because Ozzie has not gone to Russell at all. Maybe they've been working on something with him?

MCHSoxFan
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I like Richard over Ramirez, but I'm not so sure about Russell. He's essentially MacDougal (can't throw strikes) with worse stuff.

Russell? Really? Eh, maybe I was seeing the wrong stuff but I thought he looked good when I saw him.

oeo
10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Russell? Really? Eh, maybe I was seeing the wrong stuff but I thought he looked good when I saw him.

I didn't say his stuff was bad, I said it was worse than MacDougal's.

Really it comes down to throwing strikes, and neither of them do it very well.

wulfy
10-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Tribune reports that Josh Fields, yes Josh Fields, also made the roster.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-081001-chicago-white-sox-postseason-roster,0,4803729.story

oeo
10-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Tribune reports that Josh Fields, yes Josh Fields, also made the roster.

You're surprised by this? What happens if something happens to Uribe?

sox1970
10-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Thursday's Lineup:

1. Cabrera- SS
2. Wise- LF
3. Dye- RF
4. Thome- DH
5. Konerko- 1B
6. Griffey- CF
7. Ramirez- 2B
8. Pierzynski- C
9. Uribe- 3B

Bench-- Fields, Swisher, Owens, Anderson, Hall

Starters-- Vazquez, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd

Bullpen--Carrasco, Russell, Richard, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Jenks

10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Jesse Rodgers is currently on The Score and hasn't completely articulated the whole roster; but, it has been announced that Ramirez and MacDougal aren't on it, but Richard and Russell made the roster.

I definitely am happy about this, because the later two could do so much more than the first two.

Love it.

Adam Russell is a bulldog and is part of the future (not that it matters at the moment).

Horacio Ramirez, we know what he can do. Not much.

MacDougal, ehhh. He's been given plenty of chances and it's one constant Maalox Moment with him.

DaveFeelsRight
10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
i feel tons better with those two jokes not on the roster

10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Ozzie sticking with DeWayne Wise over Swisher.

Ok ... any time now DeWayne, go ahead and contribute.

MCHSoxFan
I didn't say his stuff was bad, I said it was worse than MacDougal's.

Really it comes down to throwing strikes, and neither of them do it very well.

Yeah, yeah know I what you mean. I just recall seeing him doing waaayyy better (As in throwing STRIKES) than Mike.

DumpJerry
We need a Vulture for the playoffs.

oeo
10-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah, yeah know I what you mean. I just recall seeing him doing waaayyy better (As in throwing STRIKES) than Mike.

Hanging sliders don't count.

Honestly, it's the last spot in the bullpen, so I really don't care. Hopefully we just don't have to see him.

sox1970
10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
We need a Vulture for the playoffs.

Russell pitching means we lost the game, or it's the 15th inning.

10-01-2008, 06:53 PM

It is interesting because he's barely pitched lately. I'm with the camp that says they've been working with him on something ... stuff, arm angle, etc.

We'll see.

Obviously, I'm pulling for him, as I'm sure everyone else is.

thomas35forever
10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
That's it, send a message to Kansas City that your "gifts" to us will do no good come October.

MCHSoxFan
10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Thursday's Lineup:

1. Cabrera- SS
2. Wise- LF
3. Dye- RF
4. Thome- DH
5. Konerko- 1B
6. Griffey- CF
7. Ramirez- 2B
8. Pierzynski- C
9. Uribe- SS

I really love this!!! I may get bashed but I love DeWayne since day 1 and having him #2 with speed/bunting ability really makes me feel good! LET'S DO THIS!!! Also, if you think of it, having Javy #1 makes sense because, yes Game #1 is important, but just imagine if he was pitching in another game with us on the line. Here, at least, we can make it up with out ace Mark and then 2 home games. Just a thought!!! :smile:

MCHSoxFan
10-01-2008, 06:59 PM

Honestly, it's the last spot in the bullpen, so I really don't care. Hopefully we just don't have to see him.

Yeah, good point. Let's just hope we do not need to see him if you know what I mean. Just for the record, I was not trying to argue/fight I was just trying to understand why he is good/bad. Not saying you thought we were, just saying.

TDog
10-01-2008, 07:16 PM
It is interesting because he's barely pitched lately. I'm with the camp that says they've been working with him on something ... stuff, arm angle, etc.

We'll see.

Obviously, I'm pulling for him, as I'm sure everyone else is.

I, too, was surprised because Russell hasn't pitched much at all of late. I think he only pitched two innings in September and had only one appearance after the Toronto series. Russell is 25 with no major league experience coming into this season. If he were being groomed for postseason play, you would expect him to have come into more games. The thing is, I think both Russell and Richard could perform in relief.

Russell's inclusion on the roster probably reflects more on frustration with MacDougal than with belief in Russell.

nug0hs
10-01-2008, 07:36 PM
So, im assuming this means that TCQ will not be on the playoff roster at all?

Noneck
10-01-2008, 07:37 PM
So, im assuming this means that TCQ will not be on the playoff roster at all?
Not for this series.

RockJock07
10-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Russell is a big dude that throws really hard, he's probably a emergency pitcher but nontheless he's better than MacDougal. I like having Owens on for speed and fields for some pop.

I still don't understand Wise in the Line-up, I would rather have BA in for defense. Then later in the game, you could slide him over to CF and bring in Wise but hell, Ozzie must believe in him so I'll go with it.

EndemicSox
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I still don't understand Wise in the Line-up, I would rather have BA in for defense. Then later in the game, you could slide him over to CF and bring in Wise but hell, Ozzie must believe in him so I'll go with it.

Agreed. Obviously the scouts have figured out Wise, and he's nothing but a debacle out there now. On the other hand, Siwsh probably isn't much of an up-grade, but he or Anderson is an up-grade.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Agreed, and I'd actually like to see Swisher playing more. He deserves to start Game 2 if he's not starting Game 1.

Konerko05
10-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Thursday's Lineup:

1. Cabrera- SS
2. Wise- LF
3. Dye- RF
4. Thome- DH
5. Konerko- 1B
6. Griffey- CF
7. Ramirez- 2B
8. Pierzynski- C
9. Uribe- 3B

Is this speculation or coming straight from Ozzie?

Not to start the whole argument again, but Griffey playing CF in Tropicana really scares me. When is Ozzie going to give up the Dewayne Wise experiment? At least move him out of the two hole.

If Wise stays in the two hole, I'd like to see Guillen put Cabrera in motion once in a while.

sox1970
10-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Is this speculation or coming straight from Ozzie?

Not to start the whole argument again, but Griffey playing CF in Tropicana really scares me. When is Ozzie going to give up the Dewayne Wise experiment? At least move him out of the two hole.

If Wise stays in the two hole, I'd like to see Guillen put Cabrera in motion once in a while.

Score reported.

I'd play Swisher over Wise. You may see a much different lineup for Game 2 against Kazmir. Wise and Griffey may be on the bench, with Anderson in CF and Swish in left.

whitesoxwilkes
10-01-2008, 08:17 PM

Were you getting the scouting report on him from a security guard?

turners56
10-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Horacio Ramirez was terrible with us. Good thing he's off the roster. I wonder why Ozzie didn't use Russell that much at the end of the year and he somehow ends up on the playoff roster.

Konerko05
10-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Horacio Ramirez was terrible with us. Good thing he's off the roster. I wonder why Ozzie didn't use Russell that much at the end of the year and he somehow ends up on the playoff roster.

I'm extremely happy Ramirez isn't on the playoff roster. He is absolutely awful.

When is the last time Russell pitched? Ozzie can not expect him to enter a game without being a little rusty. There were plenty of opportunities to get him some innings down the stretch. This puzzles me.

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
***? Russell has hardly been used in September, don't use him in our most important stretch, and now you're throwing him into the playoffs? I'd rather have a Broadway or McDougal. Richard is really overrated too. This is terrible imo, I'm hoping Rogers said it wrong...

oeo
10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm extremely happy Ramirez isn't on the playoff roster. He is absolutely awful.

When is the last time Russell pitched? Ozzie can not expect him to enter a game without being a little rusty. There were plenty of opportunities to get him some innings down the stretch. This puzzles me.

Again, the only thing I can think of is they were working out some kinks with him, and they think he's ready to go now. That's really the only explanation as to why when no one was getting the job done, Ozzie didn't at least try Russell.

CHISOXFAN13
10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
***? Russell has hardly been used in September, don't use him in our most important stretch, and now you're throwing him into the playoffs? I'd rather have a Broadway or McDougal. Richard is really overrated too. This is terrible imo, I'm hoping Rogers said it wrong...

With seven guys in the pen, you may as well have a mop up guy like Russell.

And Richard is better than Logan and Ramirez. No-brainer.

champagne030
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I like Richard over Ramirez, but I'm not so sure about Russell. He's essentially MacDougal (can't throw strikes) with worse stuff. I'm surprised by the move, too, because Ozzie has not gone to Russell at all. Maybe they've been working on something with him?

We agree! :gulp:

I like Richard much more than Ramirez.

I don't get the MacDougal/Russell thing. Russell has pitched once in 3 weeks, twice since 9/2. MacDougal was okay this month, until he wet himself against the Toons.

I've been screaming for Russell over Wasserman these past few weeks. Maybe they're going to use Richard as a LOOGY and Russell will be the long guy if someone (Javy) spits the bit. I cannot imagine he has any stanima built up but.......

champagne030
10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
I really love this!!! I may get bashed but I love DeWayne since day 1 and having him #2 with speed/bunting ability really makes me feel good! LET'S DO THIS!!! Also, if you think of it, having Javy #1 makes sense because, yes Game #1 is important, but just imagine if he was pitching in another game with us on the line. Here, at least, we can make it up with out ace Mark and then 2 home games. Just a thought!!! :smile:

Have you seen Wise try to bunt lately? His last two attempts were worse than Thome. He's ****ing cold as ice and is a huge liability in the OF. We hit homers we win, quit trying to play small ball. It just doesn't work with this team.

Wise is a pinch runner and maybe in a severe crunch could pinch hit for Anderson or maybe Uribe if it's a RH'ed junkball artist.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Were you getting the scouting report on him from a security guard?
:rolling:
Have you seen Wise try to bunt lately. His last two attempts were worse than Thome. He's ****ing cold as ice and is a huge liability in the OF. We hit homers we win, quit trying to play small ball. It just doesn't work with this team.
Bunting has been a problem for almost EVERYBODY on this team. It is something that you need to work on during spring training, and it seems as if they did not really work on it (much like the run-downs). Hopefully they won't have these same problems next year.

gf2020
10-01-2008, 09:29 PM
At least Russell forces the other team to put the ball in play as opposed to getting down 2-0 in every count.

kitekrazy
10-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Bunting has been a problem for almost EVERYBODY on this team. It is something that you need to work on during spring training, and it seems as if they did not really work on it (much like the run-downs). Hopefully they won't have these same problems next year.

You would think by the time most of these guys got to the big leagues they should know how to bunt. I woudl get a good laugh if Thome get's on base on a bunt when they use the Thome shift.

Brian26
10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I woudl get a good laugh if Thome get's on base on a bunt when they use the Thome shift.

Brutal.

Brian26
10-01-2008, 09:38 PM
That's it, send a message to Kansas City that your "gifts" to us will do no good come October.

Don't forget Carrasco and Dotel have a little KC blood in them too.

kitekrazy
10-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Ozzie sticking with DeWayne Wise over Swisher.

Ok ... any time now DeWayne, go ahead and contribute.

Swisher must really be in the doghouse. Of course Wise is out there to compensate for Griffey. That's not saying much.

Brian26
10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Swisher must really be in the doghouse. Of course Wise is out there to compensate for Griffey. That's not saying much.

Yet, Wise can't get to anything down the line when he's cheating towards left center. I still think Swish is a better defensive option in LF.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Yet, Wise can't get to anything down the line when he's cheating towards left center. I still think Swish is a better defensive option in LF.
Not only is Swisher a better defensive option, but he's also a better offensive option. He gets on base much more often (relative to his number of at bats). I'm sure others have noticed this as well, but it looks like Wise is swinging for the fences most of the time. Swisher will actually take a walk.

champagne030
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM

I know. So they should stop unless they're behind by a run in the 9th inning.

At least Russell forces the other team to put the ball in play as opposed to getting down 2-0 in every count.

I like Russell, too, but he didn't exactly pound the strike zone.

You would think by the time most of these guys got to the big leagues they should know how to bunt. I woudl get a good laugh if Thome get's on base on a bunt when they use the Thome shift.

I advocated him trying this all year and after watching his attempt this past weekend he should never again attempt to bunt.....

How does Wise compensate for Griffey? He might be faster than KGJ, but Jr. actually has phenomenal instincts and covers much more ground than Wise.

Edit: and that's not a shout out to KGJ.....he cannot play a legit CF anymore....

Lip Man 1
10-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Goodbye Boone Logan and Mike MacDougal.

What's the status with this for Carlos Quentin? Can he be added to the roster should they make the ALCS?

Lip

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Goodbye Boone Logan and Mike MacDougal.

What's the status with this for Carlos Quentin? Can he be added to the roster should they make the ALCS?

Lip
Yes, he can. Rosters are set before each series. I'd imagine he'd take Owens' spot.

kitekrazy
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
How does Wise compensate for Griffey? He might be faster than KGJ, but Jr. actually has phenomenal instincts and covers much more ground than Wise.

That seems to be the only answer some in the media can come up with trying to explain this oddity.

The only logical thing I can think of is maybe the organization is lookin to trade Wise. Being in the playoffs may somehow get more than he's worth.

Zisk77
10-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Don't forget Carrasco and Dotel have a little KC blood in them too.

So does Jermaine Dye

champagne030
10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
That seems to be the only answer some in the media can come up with trying to explain this oddity.

The only logical thing I can think of is maybe the organization is lookin to trade Wise. Being in the playoffs may somehow get more than he's worth.

Did we not release Wise earlier this year and nobody claimed him? That speaks volumes.....

Oldfellah
10-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I would really like to see Swisher get back in this line up. I am a fan of Wise, but he's not doing anything for us and is a liability in the outfield with a bunch of missed reads. Swish is arguably better on Defense and his bat can wake up at anytime!!

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I think Griffey and Wise come as a pair out there vs rightys. Wise is faster than Swish to help cover for Griffey's lack of mobility. I am hoping that DWise can maybe scratch out a turf hit or two tomorrow with his speed.
Both Swish and DWise are colder than ice so it is a coin flip and this keeps this lineup intact that has won 3 in a row. When Kazmir is out there I am sure they will go with Swish and BA. Hope so anyway.

Like everyone else I cannot understand not finding any time for Russell on the mound during our bullpen meltdown of recent weeks. They were desperate for any swinging dick out there and Russell never was called on. Now they chose him? I trust Coop so he must be ok,tho.

The euphoria of last nite has not waned and I am back to worrying about tomorrows game. First game winners overwhelmingly win series. Javy...we need ya to come up big.:(:

getonbckthr
10-01-2008, 10:49 PM
If Kazmir is pitching Swisher and Anderson should be in the game.

slavko
10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Russell's inclusion on the roster probably reflects more on frustration with MacDougal than with belief in Russell.

I'm a huge fan of Mac's stuff, but the W=K statistic tells me he can't control his amazing stuff. I'm not upset at all. Russell's there to keep a seat warm, I hope.

salty99
10-01-2008, 11:08 PM
If Kazmir is pitching Swisher and Anderson should be in the game.

I guess we'll find out in game 2.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Not sure why Russell is on the roster. If the Rays have so many left-handed batters that would prompt using Danks before Floyd, I would think they would want Ramirez before Russell.

I don't like seeing Russell on the roster because I never want to see him in a playoff game this year.

And I can't figure out why Wise would start before Swisher. Now that they have a book on Wise, he's a AAA player at best. He's done nothing the last two weeks.

ajismyhero
10-01-2008, 11:23 PM
In relation to Swisher stuff, did anyone else find it odd/interesting that they took Paulie out in the top of the 9th during the black-out game and defensively substituted Swish there? I've never really had a problem with Konerko as defensive 1st baseman, and was surprised they didnt put Swish in the OF with BA.

And, as a side-note, that catch that BA was A-MAZ-ING. So, thank you, Ozzie, for finally using him in that role again (where was he at the DumpDome?!).

Brian26
10-01-2008, 11:29 PM
And, as a side-note, that catch that BA was A-MAZ-ING. So, thank you, Ozzie, for finally using him in that role again (where was he at the DumpDome?!).

I enjoyed listening to one of the toolboxes on the Score this morning proclaim that BA really didn't need to dive to make that catch. :rolleyes:

I think PK has a better glove at 1B than Swish, but I rather would have seen Swish replace Wise in LF since Wise has zero range.

Tragg
10-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Trade Wise?
That's like saying after 2005 that we want to trade Timo.

UofCSoxFan
10-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Did we not release Wise earlier this year and nobody claimed him? That speaks volumes.....

Uh no. In fact we kept him on the roster when trying to figure out what to do with Pablo, meaning we were one short in the pen. If we dropped him down to AAA he would have had to clear waivers which certainly wouldn't have happened.

Wise is in there because he can have a hot game from time to time and he is one f 3 guys on our roster that can steal a base, which could be huge down the line. He had a huge stolen base in the Detroit big inning that allowed us to score a run without putting the ball in play.

ajismyhero
10-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I enjoyed listening to one of the toolboxes on the Score this morning proclaim that BA really didn't need to dive to make that catch. :rolleyes:

Seriously? Wow, then they definitely didn't have the same view I had. From the upper deck, 3rd base side, you had the perfect angle of the ball and BA tracking it. That ball was hit into a hole that no one should have been able to get to.

ajismyhero
10-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Uh no. In fact we kept him on the roster when trying to figure out what to do with Pablo, meaning we were one short in the pen. If we dropped him down to AAA he would have had to clear waivers which certainly wouldn't have happened.

Wise is in there because he can have a hot game from time to time and he is one f 3 guys on our roster that can steal a base, which could be huge down the line. He had a huge stolen base in the Detroit big inning that allowed us to score a run without putting the ball in play.

I don't think anyone argue that Wise is a good pinch-hitter - he comes in in big situations once every few games, gets on base and can run better than most of the team. However, his batting average his plummeted (sp?) since he started playing day-to-day and that should speak hugely in terms of how we should play him and how he is most useful to the team and contributing to wins.

Brian26
10-01-2008, 11:43 PM

I'm almost positive we sent him back to Charlotte earlier in the summer and he successfully cleared waivers before they brought him back the 2nd time.

hi im skot
10-01-2008, 11:47 PM

He'd look better on the Yankees, amirite?

Lip Man 1
10-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Fanatic:

I ask because WGN-TV had video from Tampa and he was in uniform doing drills with the team.

Lip

Mohoney
10-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I can't believe I'm typing this, but I would rather have Mike MacDougal than Jerry Owens. I want Jerry Owens out of this organization as soon as possible. He's really, really bad.

Save McCuddy's
10-02-2008, 12:17 AM
I can't believe I'm typing this, but I would rather have Mike MacDougal than Jerry Owens. I want Jerry Owens out of this organization as soon as possible. He's really, really bad.

Owens is simply useless. I don't even trust him to run the bases.

Mohoney
10-02-2008, 12:17 AM
When Kazmir is out there I am sure they will go with Swish and BA. Hope so anyway.

I highly doubt that Ozzie Guillen will start Brian Anderson in a playoff game.

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Griffey has no shot vs Kazmir. Neither does DWise. Hope Ozzie recognizes this. Hell, I would think about toby behind the plate...ok,maybe not..but AJ will also be in trouble vs kazmir....however..they did say madden is starting him second because they are afraid he might not go deep and use up their bullpen so they went with Shields first to save bullpen for tomorrow.

slavko
10-02-2008, 12:26 AM

I said the same until I saw it on TIVO a few times. He needed to dive. Damn, I wish he had some leadoff skills or could hit a breaking pitch.

The Dude
10-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Thursday's Lineup:

1. Cabrera- SS
2. Wise- LF
3. Dye- RF
4. Thome- DH
5. Konerko- 1B
6. Griffey- CF
7. Ramirez- 2B
8. Pierzynski- C
9. Uribe- 3B

Why oh why is Wise still batting 2nd and STARTING PERIOD????? **** you Ozzie!

The Dude
10-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Trade Wise?
That's like saying after 2005 that we want to trade Timo.

I was saying this today. Wise=Timo. I think Ozzie needs someone to start as much as possible with phantom speed, can't play the OF, can't hit, and can't take many pitches. Nice thing with Timo was that he batted much LOWER in the order!

RockJock07
10-02-2008, 01:06 AM
I was saying this today. Wise=Timo. I think Ozzie needs someone to start as much as possible with phantom speed, can't play the OF, can't hit, and can't take many pitches. Nice thing with Timo was that he batted much LOWER in the order!

I honestly don't understand Wise starting in a playoff game, it really reflects bad on this organization. It's been eating at me all day. BA needs to be in this line-up for defense. I'm ok with Griffey in CF as long as you are going to sure up LF, but Wise????

If Ozzie wanted Wise in there, why not put AJ back in the 2 hole. Wise is a great 4th outfielder but not a starting LF in the playoffs. I know Ozzie and Kenny know this team better than us but I'm really questioning why Wise is starting and batting 2nd. Hopefully Wise proves me wrong!!!!

LoveYourSuit
10-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Why oh why is Wise still batting 2nd and STARTING PERIOD????? **** you Ozzie!

I am going to put my head thru a window with this Wise love Ozzie is high on.

Swisher sucks too but I would much rather bet my life on him than a sucky journeyman.

Adele_H
10-02-2008, 02:04 AM
I highly doubt that Ozzie Guillen will start Brian Anderson in a playoff game.

Ozzie doesn't learn.

Griffey getting burned and arguably costing a big game with his glove in Minnesota wasn't enough. Griffey's flat-footed throw last night, not to mention Wise finding ways to screw up defensive practically every game in LF, didn't drive home the point either. If Casilla's blooper drops in and Mauerneau hits it out, where are we then?

But ok. Let's go outside White Sox baseball. Did anyone see highlights of Philly-Brewers game today? That game was lost essentially on a misplay by a CF with 2 outs - just like that, a whole season can be thrown away.

Adele_H
10-02-2008, 02:07 AM
I am going to put my head thru a window with this Wise love Ozzie is high on.

Swisher sucks too but I would much rather bet my life on him than a sucky journeyman.

If not Swisher, then Griffey should be starting in #2 hole tomorrow. I mean, we had slow-footed AJ there for most of the season!

The only catch: Cabrera needs to do his job and get ON the mother****ing base - as Griffey's OPS is well over 200 points higher with a runner on than it is with bases empty because pitchers are forced to throw strikes and the hole is bigger on the right side.

As for Wise, he simply got too greedy after hitting a few HR. His swing is too big, and he can't hit a pitch on the outer half without popping it up lately. He's best suited for PH role where he is batting .500 and pinch-running.

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Stick with this lineup til they lose. Wise will beat out a turf hit tomorrow..
I bet he sits against kazmir tho.

oeo
10-02-2008, 06:25 AM
If not Swisher, then Griffey should be starting in #2 hole tomorrow. I mean, we had slow-footed AJ there for most of the season

Yeah, and AJ can also do a lot more with the bat than Griffey can.

White City
10-02-2008, 09:20 AM
I guess after Javy's first start, he could be long-inning relief in a game 4 or 5, so we'd only need Russell as long relief/mop-up duty in the first three games. I think Richard could be pretty effective as a Loogey, and certainly I'd trust him more than Boone Logan.

Jaffar
10-02-2008, 09:25 AM
You have to throw strikes in the playoffs and apparently Ozzie has more faith in the kids doing that over Logan, Ramirez, and McDougal. I'm with Ozzie on this one.

champagne030
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM

I'm almost positive we sent him back to Charlotte earlier in the summer and he successfully cleared waivers before they brought him back the 2nd time.

Yes, Wise cleared waivers when we sent him back down to Charlotte on June 5th. Every team in baseball passed on the chance to put this career minor leaguer on their bench and he's STARTING for us.

russ99
10-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I, too, was surprised because Russell hasn't pitched much at all of late. I think he only pitched two innings in September and had only one appearance after the Toronto series. Russell is 25 with no major league experience coming into this season. If he were being groomed for postseason play, you would expect him to have come into more games. The thing is, I think both Russell and Richard could perform in relief.

Actually, I think it has a lot more to do with Horatio looking completely useless the last 2 weeks. Besides, didn't MacDougal get called up after Sept 1st?

Adam has a heck of a fastball, so he could be useful in the pen, but I think his real value in the playoffs is as an inning-eater in a blowout (either way) without forcing Richard and/or Carrasco out of the next game.

voodoochile
10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Just checking the site again and still no new news, but I do wonder if they are holding back announcing it because TCQ is effectively day to day (or very close to being so) and they want one final evaluation Thursday before ruling him out for the series. If he would be ready to play even game 5 only, you have to put him on the team, IMO.

salty99
10-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Quentin will not be in this series.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-081001-carlos-quentin-chicago-white-sox,0,5439544.story

ohthosechisox
10-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Here's the official release from whitesox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20081002&content_id=3582627&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Adele_H
10-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah, and AJ can also do a lot more with the bat than Griffey can.

AJ can but chooses not to.

Since Griffey was acquired, he's hit .260/350/400, which is on par with what AJ did in that same time frame.

The difference? Griffey has performed better with RISP than AJ since he was acquired, which makes his overall numbers more "valuable".

Another difference? Griffey can jack 3 HR in a game and noone will bat an eye lash. You're talking about a HOF talent (upside) here, even at 38 yo, afterall.

BadBobbyJenks
10-02-2008, 12:16 PM
When will the Wise experiment end?

Chicken Dinner
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Jerry Owens and DeWayne Wise should be used as pinch runners ONLY!

stevemcstud
10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
I like the idea that we can pinch run someone with Owens and basically have a defensive replacement for them (except AJ, OC, and Alexei, which the last two you wouldn't pinch run anyways.) This will come in handy when we are down by 1 and have Thome and Konerko on 1st and 2nd in the late innings.