PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs TB: "Expert" picks are in

EuroSox35
10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/23ll66b.jpg

Sox fans shouldn't take this as a slight, the Rays are the story of the season, great record, great at home, great pitching. BUT, I think we have a great chance at turning the tables. First, we'll be loose. We just passed our pressure test, and we'll be going in there with calmness and experience. Also, recently our offense has been taking advantage of mistakes. What better team to make mistakes then the untested Rays?

But my biggest reason, I think Vazquez will finally come up big and we have a chance to steal Game 1. Vazquez splits, his best ERA is in a dome (also much better during the day, not sure if that matters in a dome, but it could be related to how his preparation schedule goes. Or maybe he has less time to think/linger about the game?). Also, Vazquez vs Tampa Bay this year, 3.54 ERA, with them hitting .208 against him. In 2 starts AT Tampa this year, 2.70 ERA in the Trop. After that, we've seen what Buerhle, Gavin, and Danks have the ability to do...

Shields will be a tough cookie, but like I said, you never know in the playoffs, one mistake, maybe one of our boppers gets to him, whatever, but I think people will underrate Vazquez and this will be a much closer game then people think

After all, the "experts" aren't always right

http://i36.tinypic.com/2l8kbxk.jpg

:cool:

NewYawk718
10-01-2008, 05:25 PM
The rotation is 1. Vazquez 2. Buerhle 3. Danks 4. Floyd ..if there is a game 4, he will also be ready for relief in game 2..

hmm ..interesting. I do think we are in store for a special 5 game series, it'd be easier on my heart though if the sox swept the rays.

btrain929
10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
The rotation is 1. Vazquez 2. Buerhle 3. Danks 4. Floyd ..if there is a game 4, he will also be ready for relief in game 2..

hmm ..interesting. I do think we are in store for a special 5 game series, it'd be easier on my heart though if the sox swept the rays.

Is that rotation your opinion, or has that been posted? If so, funny how are wins leader is slated to maybe not even pitch in the series (with game 4 not being a guarantee).

doublem23
10-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Is that rotation your opinion, or has that been posted? If so, funny how are wins leader is slated to maybe not even pitch in the series (with game 4 not being a guarantee).

ERA > Wins

russ99
10-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Hmmm, lemme guess... Are the ESPN nimrods picking a Cubs - Red Sox Series?

NewYawk718
10-01-2008, 05:35 PM

Ozzie was just on ESPNNEWS and unless i misheard, I believe that is the rotation he stated.

MCHSoxFan
10-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Ozzie was just on ESPNNEWS and unless i misheard, I believe that is the rotation he stated.

Yeah, I believe you are right. I say Javy winning is the KEY. He wins, see ya guys @ ALCS game 3. Yeah, we could lose if he wins and he could lose and we still win but I say he is the key cause Mark is..Mark and GF/JD are pitching at home and we are BEASTS there!!! I AM PUMPED!!!

mccoydp
10-01-2008, 05:41 PM
The experts were way off in 2005, also. :redneck

MCHSoxFan
10-01-2008, 05:42 PM
The experts were way off in 2005, also. :redneck

YEEESSS!!! lol! lol!

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Don't the Sox tend to feed off of the idea of being the underdog anyways?

MCHSoxFan
10-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Don't the Sox tend to feed off of the idea of being the underdog anyways?

Yeah, for real. I actually LIKE this. :smile:

chaotic8512
10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Keith Law has us going three and out... what a surprise. It's a shock he's not wearing a White Sox hat in his mugshot!

DaveFeelsRight
10-01-2008, 05:58 PM
one pick for us in the alcs...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3619261

oeo
10-01-2008, 05:59 PM
What a surprise, Keith Law thinks we're going to get swept. I bet it has something to do with our farm system. :lol:

RockJock07
10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Jayson Stark from ESPN called a Cubs/Red Sox series. White Sox/Dodgers would just kill them, or White Sox/Philles. I don't want to see the Cubs or Red Sox in the World Series even though the ratings will be high.

I don't care if the "experts" didn't pick the sox, we all know the talent that the Sox have and if JAvy steps up and wins game 1, this series is wide open.

Adele_H
10-01-2008, 06:34 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/23ll66b.jpg

Sox fans shouldn't take this as a slight, the Rays are the story of the season, great record, great at home, great pitching. BUT, I think we have a great chance at turning the tables. First, we'll be loose. We just passed our pressure test, and we'll be going in there with calmness and experience. Also, recently our offense has been taking advantage of mistakes. What better team to make mistakes then the untested Rays?

But my biggest reason, I think Vazquez will finally come up big and we have a chance to steal Game 1. Vazquez splits, his best ERA is in a dome (also much better during the day, not sure if that matters in a dome, but it could be related to how his preparation schedule goes. Or maybe he has less time to think/linger about the game?). Also, Vazquez vs Tampa Bay this year, 3.54 ERA, with them hitting .208 against him. In 2 starts AT Tampa this year, 2.70 ERA in the Trop. After that, we've seen what Buerhle, Gavin, and Danks have the ability to do...

Shields will be a tough cookie, but like I said, you never know in the playoffs, one mistake, maybe one of our boppers gets to him, whatever, but I think people will underrate Vazquez and this will be a much closer game then people think

After all, the "experts" aren't always right

http://i36.tinypic.com/2l8kbxk.jpg

:cool:

1) Feel slighted? Knowing how much better Sox perform when they are underdogs vs. being heavily favored .... and considering that most of these clueless experts, collectively, are a 'contrarian indicator'.....

2) Obviously, Sox don't have a home-field, at least not in ALDS. That could be a problem that is hopefully counteracted by the inexperienced Rays being both tight & trying too hard (to justify hype). Obviously winning Game 1 against beatable Shields is huuuuge.

3) I don't mind Big Game Javy starting in TB where he's had success in his recent starts. Bottomline: if our 11.5-Mill-a-year horse can't consistently deliver, we don't deserve to win the World Series in the first place. Basically the Jon Garland pitching Game 3 of 2005 ALCS scenario.

4) I was concerned with Javy and AJ not jelling lately. Remember Javy was cruising against the aggressive Indians, giving up only 1 hit in the first 4.1 innings; his stuff was working alright. There is NO excuse for him to come unglued as he did once Indians got a baserunner ON, at some either AJ or Coop needed to stop the bleeding. But after the way AJ handled Danks last night, I feel less concerned about him handling Vazquez on Thursday.

5) The Sox will not win anything if the offense doesn't get its collective head out of its behind. It's disturbing that in the last 2 games (which most closely resembled Playoff-like must-win atmosphere), the hitters absolutely stunk up the joint in the first 5-6 innings against pedestrian pitchers like Freddy and Blackburn.

Thank g-d Floyd & Danks had great games - but, realistically speaking, you can only expect your pitchers to walk a razor's edge so long.

I wanted Greg Walker fired long time ago, but if Coprseball meister had ANY ability to effectively instruct/motivate this talented roster entrusted to him, NOW would be a great good time to see the manifestations of that ability. Starting with 4-5 runs off Shields tomorrow, the earlier the better to give Javy some room-for-error to work with.

Would like to see Griffey or Swisher in the #2 hole. No Wise please.

And please, no more of that at-least-3-defensive-screw-ups-every-game schtick, Sox. Tampa is not that talented, but they take advantage of other team's deficiencies, especially on the basepaths.

Win Game 1 and it gets easier from there. Ask 2005 squad.

TheOldRoman
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I saved that pic. It will hopefully make a great compliment to this one from the 2007 NFC Championship Game.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/TheOldRoman/Espnmorons.jpg

chisoxmike
10-01-2008, 07:20 PM
The Rays do have a huge advantage in the defense and bullpen department.

oeo
10-01-2008, 07:22 PM

For sure. We need good starting pitching (not only keeping us in the game, but going deep into games) or we're just not going to be successful. If the starting pitching is there, we have a good shot.

The one thing I like in this series is the way Kazmir has been crapping the bed. 8 homeruns in his last three games = trouble against the Sox lineup. I like our chances in that game, and if we come home with one, we stand a real good shot.

Konerko05
10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
one pick for us in the alcs...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3619261

Gammons picked the Angels over the Red Sox.

turners56
10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
The Rays are ESPN's new toys. Of course they're going to pick them.

oeo
10-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Here's the 2005 playoff predictions: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2179945

turners56
10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Here's the 2005 playoff predictions: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2179945

We got a little more love obviously. I found it weird that some people picked the 'Stros to win it all.

oeo
10-01-2008, 07:33 PM
We got a little more love obviously. I found it weird that some people picked the 'Stros to win it all.

Roger Clemens, Andy Petitte, Roy Oswalt.

turners56
10-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Roger Clemens, Andy Petitte, Roy Oswalt.

Oh yeah...I forgot.

We sure did hit all three of those pitchers though. :D:

soxfanaticpaulie
10-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Nobody picked us in 2005 either and we won 99 games in the regular season and had home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Only one guy had us even in the Series.

They would've had to actually WATCH our White Sox play more than once or twice all year to be comfortable picking us to go anywhere.

Keith Law picked the ****ing Rays to win it all, with Evan Longoria as the MVP?... I don't really care what he predicts... he's obviously drinking Cinderella big-story koolaide.

jabrch
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Keith Law

:whocares

Adele_H
10-01-2008, 07:50 PM

I'll take Jenks & Thornton over Percival & Wheeler any day.

As for defense.... I am not asking Sox defense to do anything super-special. But these are some of the things I would like to see:

1. Anderson in CF. Or at least in LF.
2. Uribe make a play to his left once in his (3B) lifetime. I mean, jeez.
3. Cabrera stop fielding balls to his side.
4. Alexei at least pretend he cares about holding the runner at 2nd
5. AJ throw someone out on the pads - or at least help the pitcher hold him closer at 1st.
6. Dye - get good reads on balls in front and not slam into walls without first catching the damn ball.
7. Ozzie position fielders according to scouting report and spray charts, not according to his pet monkey.
8. Rundown? One throw, two at most.
9. Tags applied on the runner BEFORE he touches the base. T
10. No more throwing bunted balls down RF line.

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, I've been dead wrong about everything else this year so it probably is a good thing i think the Rays probably have the edge over us. But I will say this: if we can win game one, we will win the series.

turners56
10-01-2008, 07:52 PM

As for defense.... I am not asking Sox defense to do anything super-special. But these are some othe things I would like to see:

5. AJ throw someone out on the pads - or at least help the pitcher hold him closer at 1st.
6. Dye - get good reads on balls in front and not slam into walls without first catching the damn ball.
7. Ozzie position fielders according to scouting report and spray charts, not according to his pet monkey.

I'd take Balfour over everybody but Jenks though.

Adele_H
10-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Balfour is having a career year. You never know when his inner loser rears its head.

Sox starters need to do their jobs exceptionally well. If they do, you won't see the back of our bullpen. And I'll put the front of our pen up against anybody.

We're in the 'sprint' portion of the season. Depth is not as important; starters bringing utmost effort & focus, on the other hand, is doubley important. That goes true for both pitching & hitting.

Let's just see what the 2008 Sox are REALLY made of, shall we?

Adele_H
10-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Speaking of valuable lessons,

Seeing the Cubs - "on paper" a better team than the Dodgers - collapse under the weight of tremendeous history-infused pressure tonight....

...I hope/pray that Devil Rays are getting high on all the hype lavished on them and are already looking past the Sox with an eye toward the ALCS......

Javy could have benefited watching Dempster, who failed to take advantage of Dodgers hitters' early innnig over-swinging by trying to be too perfect & too cute himself.

Sox hitters? I'd imagine there are several lessons to be learned from watching that talented dumbass Soriano flail at outside sliders trying to HR and be hero... For starters, DON'T DO *THAT* :D:

Excellent idea having Danks go Game 3 (on normal rest), btw.

Thome_Fan
10-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm playing MLB The Show 08, Sox at the Trop.

This will obviously be the determining factor in the game tomorrow. I'll let you know if I win or not so you can stop holding your breath til tomorrow night. :cool:

rdwj
10-02-2008, 12:05 AM
If I had to put my professional reputation on it, I'd pick the Rays too. That being said, I think we have a decent chance to take it. We NEED to steal one in a dome - which won't be easy.

RockJock07
10-02-2008, 12:13 AM

As for defense.... I am not asking Sox defense to do anything super-special. But these are some of the things I would like to see:

I think this is the biggest one, this has been a problem for 2-3 seasons, it needs to get fixed, now is a good time.

Also, is Percival healthy? I know in that game at Fenway he left hurt and I haven't heard anything since. If he's not, big advantage. No Chad Qualls is a bummer, paulie would love to see him.

Mohoney
10-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Keith Law was the only one that predicted a Tampa sweep, but in his defense, he has Tampa winning the whole thing. He's on their Kool-Aid, so him picking a sweep makes some sense.

As for Stark and Kurkjian, those nitwits picked the Cubs! :lol:

SteveFakeBlood
10-02-2008, 12:25 AM
The speed of the Rays and their starting pitching is what terrifies me. They're an all around good team, but if we get to their starters and keep Crawford, Bartlett and Upton off the base paths I'm not as worried about their bullpen or keeping Longoria and Pena in check. Buehrle seems to be our only starter who's consistently functional with runners on base (Danks and Floyd are usually OK... Danks moreso because he's a Lefty) probably because runners are a bit wary of his incredibly nasty pick off move- so keeping those afforementioned three from getting on base in the first place is key, because they could walk to second or third.

My head says Rays in 4 or 5, but my heart says Sox in 4 or 5. Either way I don't see a sweep happening. It does me comfort to see that no one picked us to go through in '05.

~Steve

DSpivack
10-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Keith Law was the only one that predicted a Tampa sweep, but in his defense, he has Tampa winning the whole thing. He's on their Kool-Aid, so him picking a sweep makes some sense.

As for Stark and Kurkjian, those nitwits picked the Cubs! :lol:

I predicted the Angels in 5, Cubs in 4, and Brewers in 5.

Obviously I don't know much [at least so far]! :tongue:

Mohoney
10-02-2008, 12:29 AM
I predicted the Angels in 5, Cubs in 4, and Brewers in 5.

Obviously I don't know much [at least so far]! :tongue:

You didn't pick the Cubs to win it all, right?

Adele_H
10-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I think this is the biggest one, this has been a problem for 2-3 seasons, it needs to get fixed, now is a good time..

I mean, the biggest objective is to prevent Iwamura, Upton, Crawford, Longoria and Co. from reaching base to begin with.

But in baseball, things happen - ump erroneously calls a borderline 3-2 strike a 'ball'..... a high chopper hit off homeplate for infield single....... someone leaning into an inside pitch for a 'HBP'.... an old-fashioned shattered bat 'duck-snort'.... like I said, things happen and no matter how good you pitch, you'll allow baserunners.

IT'S WHAT YOU DO ONCE THE BASERUNNER IS ON THAT IS OFTEN DETERMINATIVE OF WHETHER OR NOT YOU WIN THE GAME - ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.

DSpivack
10-02-2008, 12:32 AM
You didn't pick the Cubs to win it all, right?

No, to lose to Milwaukee in 6.

Adele_H
10-02-2008, 12:37 AM
No, to lose to Milwaukee in 6.

Cubs aren't losing to Milwakee.

Not the way they've mentally owned Brew-crew when it counted throughout the year. Not with Sheets out, Gallardo rusty and Parra not even starting. Not with Miller Park acting as a stand-in for Wrigley.

Dodgers, on the other hand, are in a perfect position to be spoilers in best-of-5 series.

scarsofthumper
10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
This is what Bobby Jenks thinks of "Experts"

http://trashpile.net/upload/Jenks.gif

KenBerryGrab
10-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I think the fact the Rays are giddy at facing the Sox over the Twins sets them up for a letdown.

FielderJones
10-02-2008, 11:41 AM
If you're going to call yourself an "Expert", shouldn't you, like, be right once in a while? :rolleyes:

Iwritecode
10-02-2008, 11:44 AM

This will obviously be the determining factor in the game tomorrow. I'll let you know if I win or not so you can stop holding your breath til tomorrow night. :cool:

I've been playing MVP05 lately. There's been some odd coincidences the past few nights. I'm playing a full season and faced the Twins just the other night. The next night I played against Freddy Garcia on the Royals.

Which goes to show that all these predictions by the so-called experts means absolutely nothing.

I still think that Balfour is the most unfortunate name for pitcher ever.

IspepAloc
10-02-2008, 01:25 PM

Haven't played it in a while, but White Sox sent me to TB in my 2nd year. Made the MLB team to start Season 3.

I like our chances and can't wait!

NardiWasHere
10-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Amy Nelson is considered an expert?

Adele_H
10-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Screw the experts and all that other meaningless crap surrounding the series, but this was a bad loss, no way around it. Jerry Manuel would be proud.

Shields was predictably solid but by no means spectacular or "unhittable". It's just that 'Walkerball' and '2-strike off-speed pitches on the outer half of the plate' don't really mesh well, so....

Vazquez continues to mystify. He struck damn near everyone out in the first 2 innings. Gets a 2-run lead.... Bartlett reaches on a bleeder a good 3B probably cuts off - and BOOM!, before you know it, the wheels come off. :mad: It's gotten to the point where I think he is tipping his pitches with subtle tells or else simply loses his release point with breaking pitches when throwing out of the stretch.

Defense was awful. Anything hit to the left side was getting through thanks to less than spectacular range/anticipation by Uribe-Cabrera...... Wise/Cabrera let a routine fly-ball drop for a double........ Griffey-Cabrera make mediocre relay throws that allow Iwamura to juuuust make it to 3rd, which I thought was a pivotal moment of the game that led to 2 big runs..... Alexei botching a potential DP in the 5th was likewise devastating... I mean, how the hell does Longoria make it to 2nd on a damn pick-off!.... Finally Griffey was going to let that ball drop in front of him if it wasn't for Dye of all people running it down... I mean, I won't even mention AJ since his noodle arm doesn't give him a chance to throw anybody out.

Unfortunately, Sox are bringing individual agendas into a high-stakes game when the team should be functioning as a cohesive unit. Cabrera does his thing, situation be damned. Thome does his thing, situation be damned. Griffey does his thing, situation be damned. Uribe does his thing, situation be damed. That blown hit-n-run play was a good illustration of Ozzie thinking one thing, AJ thinking another thing, and Cabrera - another thing still. Inning over.

Good news: the series is still winnable.
though I don't envy the task at hand for Buerhle and Danks who have so little margin for error. Then again, it's times like these that separate your Becketts & Shillings from your Sabathias & Vazquezes, so we'll see.

Big props to Richard. Sox may have found something there.

PS. Whoever said Longoria was overrated... well, let's just say he's overrated like Britney Spears.

Adele_H
10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I still think that Balfour is the most unfortunate name for pitcher ever.

Balfour may not have a fortunate name but he certainly was fortunate today: that liner by Uribe missed by a few feet; if it hits fair, Sox blow that inning open and likely win the game. ****.:angry:

chaerulez
10-03-2008, 08:21 AM
If you want to use pre season expectations as some sort of motivation for the Sox and to say the experts are wrong... this is the wrong series to do it. If I'm not mistaken most people probably picked the Rays to finish either 4th or 5th in the AL East, maybe 3rd at best.

Also maybe Cabrera will decide to stop acting like an idiot after Balfour showed him up.

Adele_H
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Now that the series is over... The experts unfortunately got this one right. Credit where due.

Still, the season wasn't a total failure but any means. I thought this team would win the division easily, and once you get into Postseason, just about anything goes. (Hopefully Sox fans can appreciate the Magical 2005 season even more after realizing how many things have to go right in order to win the Champhionship...)

A couple of things:

1. Greg Walker needs to go. Actions speak louder than words, and Sox hitters' approach & body language simply did not match their (superior) talent in crunch-time. Even otherwise smart all-field professionals like Jim Thome & Carlos Quentin became pull-monkeys down the stretch. I don't want Walker to have input in this team's critical off-season transformation. You can't fire Ozzie or Coop, so "Walk"'s the goat if nothing else. I promise you 2009 Sox will score 850+ runs in 2009 without Walker. Guaranted.

2. LHP Richard should have started in Floyd's place. It was obvious the Rays's speed & aggressivess at the plate against RHP was going to bother Gavin. Richard looked all kinds of sharp the last few weeks and shuts down the running game to the extent that you can with a noodle-armed AJ..... Too bad Ozzie didn't listen to his own instincts as he did with swapping Danks for Floyd, and instead chose a safer, criticsm-proof route.

3. Vazquez & Cabrera. Thanks for setting the tone for the series. Thanks for all the momentum-killing. It's hard to believe two players can make that big of a negative impact, but Sox could have just as easily swept the Rays if these 2 "leaders" had shown up.

4. BJ Upton. Are you kidding me?! That clown is banged up and can only hit a fastball up, middle in. That's what he hit off Buerhle for a triple. That's what he hit off Danks for a HR. Thats what he hit both times off Floyd for HR. Brutal scouting, pitch selection by Sox that helped lost this series.

5. Carlos Pena is so obviosly on P.E.D. it's not even funny.

6. Carl Crawford. How the **** do you walk him with no outs if you're Floyd, knowing that you're essentially given up a triple when you do that, not to mention get distracted while pitching to Floyd????? Again, the same baseball-retarded **** that gets you beat in best-of-5 series.

7. Andy Sonnenstine. Was simply awful today. Like, Lance Broadway bad. I lost count of the amount of hangers and get-me-over 87 mph fastballs the Sox hitters either took or pop-up. Greg Walker and half the roster need to be canned if only for this one game... Not that Shields, Kazmir and Garza were anything special, because they were not - and Rays would have gotten swept if they pitched like that to either the Red Sox or the Angels.

8. Despite all the rhetoric how all the pressure is on them, the Rays were clearly more relaxed than the Sox today, and showed the Sox how you INCREASE pressure and go for the jugular when ahead. Sox have more talent, but Rays are better managed, coached - and it shows.

9. Carlos Quentin. Why. Did. You. Break. Your. Hand.in.September. :angry:That is all.

10. 2009 can be a spectacular success if Reinsdorf is willing to continue his recent history of increasing the payroll budget. As long Kenny realizes that team defense & OBP atop the order need MAJOR improvements, even if it comes at the expnse of some low-impact HR. The core of the team, including Quentin, Danks, Floyd, Alexei, Thornton, Jenks is certainly very solid.

Steve Stone is a welcome addition to the booth, likewise.

11. Cubs and Cubs fans = bwa-hahahahaha!:rolling:

R.I.P 2008 season.

It's been real, everybody. Bye.

turners56
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Most of the experts got this one right unfortunately.

LoveYourSuit
10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Prediction:

4 pages bitching about the expert picks.

You will see a max of about 12 posts now that they were all right.