PDA

View Full Version : What Local People Have Said About Sox Fans

BoysMom3
10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Just thought you'd all be interested and pleased to hear what I've been hearing in town recently from people who have been to Sox games, not to cheer for the Sox.

Zobrist is probably the most popular name here where I live, and a great majority of the people here are a Zobrist, were a Zobrist before getting married, or are somehow related to a Zobrist. Ben Zobrist, of the Rays, has a huge fan base here of friends and relatives. Many of them have gone to Chicago to see him when they were playing against the Sox. They all have special t-shirts made with Zobrist on the back, and they cheer for the Rays. I heard such a nice compliment today, and I've heard it from other people that have been up to cheer for Ben - that it was such a nice experience, that the Sox fans were very pleasant and didn't make them feel like they were in dangerous territory. Some were saying the Sox fans helped them find places to get good food.

I know there are a few Sox fans in town here, but I know most people will be rooting against us because of their history with Ben, but I wanted to share the nice things they said about their Chicago experiences. And what about you WHITESOXPRIDE. Who are you going to cheer for????!!!!

slavko
10-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Zobrist is probably the most popular name here where I live, and a great majority of the people here are a Zobrist, were a Zobrist before getting married, or are somehow related to a Zobrist. Ben Zobrist, of the Rays, has a huge fan base here of friends and relatives. Many of them have gone to Chicago to see him when they were playing against the Sox. They all have special t-shirts made with Zobrist on the back, and they cheer for the Rays. I heard such a nice compliment today, and I've heard it from other people that have been up to cheer for Ben - that it was such a nice experience, that the Sox fans were very pleasant and didn't make them feel like they were in dangerous territory. Some were saying the Sox fans helped them find places to get good food.

I know there are a few Sox fans in town here, but I know most people will be rooting against us because of their history with Ben, but I wanted to share the nice things they said about their Chicago experiences. And what about you WHITESOXPRIDE. Who are you going to cheer for????!!!!

So, there's a chance you're trying to tell us that everyone in Morton has the same DNA?

soxfan43
10-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Just thought you'd all be interested and pleased to hear what I've been hearing in town recently from people who have been to Sox games, not to cheer for the Sox.

I've heard some similar stories as well, good to hear. As long as the fans aren't coming to the game asking for trouble, it usually works out fine for them. There was a dude last night on the fan deck in CF wearing a twins hat and a cubs sweatshirt, he was asking for trouble. After about an inning or 2 of abuse, he left the fandeck.

GoGoCrede
10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I've heard some similar stories as well, good to hear. As long as the fans aren't coming to the game asking for trouble, it usually works out fine for them. There was a dude last night on the fan deck in CF wearing a twins hat and a cubs sweatshirt, he was asking for trouble. After about an inning or 2 of abuse, he left the fandeck.

Same for me. Section 544 had about 5 Twins fans sitting together. They applauded every strike their team made loudly, and after each half-inning they stood and clapped the Twins for about two minutes. They insulted AJ pretty loudly.

I was proud that no one in our section made a fight of it though, no matter how much we might have wanted to to pop them one.

We got our revenge. They left after the second out of the 9th. :redneck

DumpJerry
10-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I once sat in front of a bunch of people from Peoria during a game against the Indians who were cheering for a visiting player. Seems they were members of the Jim Thome family.

Sox won the game 10-1. The sole run for the Tribe was a late inning home run by Thome which is still being tracked by NASA.

NewYawk718
10-01-2008, 06:29 PM
does dave willis still do tampa bay pre-game shows? It would be quite cool for him to participate in the series.

doublem23
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
So, there's a chance you're trying to tell us that everyone in Morton has the same DNA?

That would explain quite a bit about that town. :o:

bluestar
10-01-2008, 07:02 PM
does dave willis still do tampa bay pre-game shows? It would be quite cool for him to participate in the series.

You mean Dave Wills? He is the play-by-play guy for the Rays.

BoysMom3
10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
That would explain quite a bit about that town. :o:

Indeed it would, Doub. :wink:

LongLiveFisk
10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
There was a dude last night on the fan deck in CF wearing a twins hat and a cubs sweatshirt, he was asking for trouble. After about an inning or 2 of abuse, he left the fandeck.

What a colossal....

:dumbass:

I have no mercy on people like this. Total jerkoffs....glad he went home crying. :whiner:
:D:

Brian26
10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Same for me. Section 544 had about 5 Twins fans sitting together. They applauded every strike their team made loudly, and after each half-inning they stood and clapped the Twins for about two minutes. They insulted AJ pretty loudly.

I was proud that no one in our section made a fight of it though, no matter how much we might have wanted to to pop them one.

We got our revenge. They left after the second out of the 9th. :redneck

There was a family of three Twinkee fans in front of Salty and me last night. They knew to keep their mouths shut and mind their own business :club:

SteveFakeBlood
10-01-2008, 10:15 PM
As I've been to see the Sox all over the country (Arlington, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Anaheim, Pittsburgh... I think I'm not forgetting any...) and I can only remember a few isolated incidents where home fans gave me a hard time. Surprisingly, I think the two teams with the fans who were the most respectful to me were ironically the two in our division, Kansas City and Minneapolis. In retrospect, I kind of was a dick during one of the Twins games- it was '06 and Morneau and JD were competing for the MVP Award- I got so sick of the Twins "MVP" chants that I chanted it sarcastically very loudly and obnoxiously after he made an out in the 9th inning. Impressed no one lashed out at me after that.

I don't have anything against the other fans- they just seemed less passionate and/or welcoming to away fans.

The thing is, when we go on the road whether we like it or not, we're sort of ambassadors for all Sox fans- and I believe in the Golden Rule, so the fact that most fans I've come across in other cities have been respectful, sometimes even downright friendly to me, means I'm going to pay it forward to away fans who come into the Cell.

Anyway the point is, it makes me feel good when away fans have positive things to say about us. A little good-natured fun and trash talk is great, but in the end, mutual respect is pretty important because we're all just baseball fans. I had a lot more to say, but I think I was getting off-track...

~Steve

SteveFakeBlood
10-01-2008, 10:16 PM
What a colossal....

:dumbass:

I have no mercy on people like this. Total jerkoffs....glad he went home crying. :whiner:
:D:

This, of course, is an exception to my last post. I've seen Cubs fans who will show to the Cell in games the Cubs aren't involved in just to root against us. Those jack asses deserve no sympathy... as much as I hate the Cubs, I'd never go to Wrigley unless the Sox we're playing them.

~Steve

BoysMom3
10-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Steve, my husband and I took our little boys to a Sox game in Kansas City this summer - we also found the fans to be very friendly. It was a very nice experience, save for the 110 + degree weather and the big loss we took the second day.

Desert Rat
10-02-2008, 12:44 AM
I agree with the ambassador comment. I feel like I kind of represent the team and fans like us and I've always been treated well at visiting stadiums. Good natured banter with the locals make it fun for everyone. In San Diego in '05 a guy across from me gave me his cracker jack prize. It was about Shoeless Joe. We all laughed our butts off. I still have that little prize in my Sox game room display. After we lost that game and I was walking out I told him "see ya in October". I was half right!

chisox616
10-02-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm a native of Illinois, moved to St. Louis in 6th Grade but never gave up the love for my Sox. Anyways, as you could imagine, KC is closer to me than Chicago and I try to go to as many KC-Sox games as I can.

For the most part, the fans were great, and even helped me out a few times. My last visit, however, definitely not one to remember. First half was brutal; we were down by a lot and I was not enjoying how the Sox were playing. Then all of a sudden, around the 6th we picked it up and took the lead.

Of course, a bunch of idiotic drunk KC fans arrive way late and kick some family out of their seats. Grade A douchebags, gah, I remember when the Royals' mascot came out and launched a bunch of hotdogs to the crowd. One landed right in the glove of this one kid, literally just sitting there. I don't think he even realized it. One of the douchebags comes up and takes the hot dog right out of his glove and eats it. And then, I think once they realized that KC pretty much lost, they start to heckle me (technically they heckled "Konerko"... but I was sitting close and wearing his jersey...didn't help that Paulie was just back from his injury and didn't play well at all) for the remainder of the game. Sprinkled beer and food on us and bash Paulie & Chicago every chance they can.

That was just bad luck though. I have a bunch of friends who are also Royals fans and I don't hold that against them. Funny sidenote, they eventually started to bash their own team more than ours.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-02-2008, 01:35 AM
I rode the Red Line last night to the game and in a car crowded with Sox fans there were a couple of Twins fans standing silently, looking a bit tense. As we stepped off I said quietly to them, "Good luck, enjoy the game." I get a kick out of the mildly startled look.

ihatethecubs
10-02-2008, 02:58 AM
as a life long southsider currently living in bridgeport, i honestly do not care about what any single person outside of chicago thinks about the white sox.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
The thing is, when we go on the road whether we like it or not, we're sort of ambassadors for all Sox fans- and I believe in the Golden Rule, so the fact that most fans I've come across in other cities have been respectful, sometimes even downright friendly to me, means I'm going to pay it forward to away fans who come into the Cell.

Anyway the point is, it makes me feel good when away fans have positive things to say about us. A little good-natured fun and trash talk is great, but in the end, mutual respect is pretty important because we're all just baseball fans. I had a lot more to say, but I think I was getting off-track...

~Steve
Glad to hear fellow members of the foreign legions of Sox army making it a point to respect other teams' ballparks.
I've never had a bad time at any of the parks I've visited.
I got some razzing in Philadelphia, but since I lived there for 17 years I sort of knew what to expect.
The most fun times from a baseball perspective were the Sox/Yankees games. It seemed like everyone I talked to knew at least as much about baseball as I did.
On the other hand, the one time I was in Toronto the Skydome was so damn quiet I thought I was watching the PGA.
Good times, and I hope I gave other teams' fans a better impression of Sox fans...