PDA

View Full Version : TBS Coverage

I want Mags back
10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
KICKS ASS!!!

reasons:

Dick Stockton > Berman or whoever ESPN could put at us other than Jon Miller

Harold Reynolds >> any ESPN analyst

GAME BREAKS!!! - TBS wastes their commercial time to make money to talk about the game more, kick ass.

Ernie Johnson > Carl Ravech or other lead studio anchor ESPN would put out

Eckersly, Ripken > John Kruk, Fernando Vina, etc.

discuss

oeo
10-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I mentioned this in the game thread last night...MLB should just say bye-bye to FOX. They did it last year, too, but I really like their game breaks every few innings. That's taking their coverage to a new level, IMO.

asindc
10-01-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't mind ESPN as much as some others, but FOX definitely has to go. That Jeanie Whateverhernameis is unbearable. And that's without mentioning Capt. Obvious, Mr. "I don't think that taste is still there."

palehozenychicty
10-01-2008, 02:00 PM
TBS does an excellent job. Me likey!

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Overall...I give them a B+.
Pro:... Announcing team was fine. Darling and Reynolds cover both hitter and pitcher angles. Stockton is not perfect but is a pro.
I thought the picture was great, colors vivid, ect..
Like the studio guys, eck and ripken are solid,ernie a pro. And like you, I prefer going to the studio for in game analysis rather than commercial.

Con: I thought the early camera work was too jumpy...keep it simple,stupid and keep the shot on the pitcher, not jumping to crowd,dugout,managers, then to Danks as he is in windup. Maybe Johnny was too fast for them...I love his pace.

Again, I like TBS's coverage and am glad they will follow the Sox thru the ALCS.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I also liked the game breaks that was sweet...Now my only worry is with this triple header business...The game times are so messed up the Cubs for example have a 5:30 game? :?: an 8:30 game later this week? :?: I belive that game is at home....

Marqhead
10-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I get excited every time I see Dennis Eckersley.

Must have something to do with the mustache...

But seriously he's one of my favorite players that I never really got to see play, and he's a good commentator from what I saw.

EDIT: In summary, big thumbs up for TBS on the whole.

cleanwsox
10-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I get excited every time I see Dennis Eckersley.

Must have something to do with the mustache...

I was surprised on how good he looked. He's aged well, I guess Just for Men does work. :D:

AZChiSoxFan
10-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Have the announcing teams for each series been posted somewhere?

aryzner
10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
MLB please drop FOX so I don't have to listen to Joe Buck ever again...!

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I really dont mind Joe Buck....but I know I am in the minority there

Sox4ever77
10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I really dont mind Joe Buck....but I know I am in the minority there

Yeah, I don't understand the hate for Joe Buck. He's a little arrogant but so are many other announcers.

PaleHoser
10-01-2008, 02:52 PM
MLB please drop FOX so I don't have to listen to Joe Buck ever again...!

Indeed! He's like nails on a chalkboard in my house.

thedudeabides
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I was a fan of the coverage. Stockton is getting a bit old and clearly makes a couple of mistakes, but overall does a nice job.

The best part are the broadcasts being about the game and not driven by creating controversy. I'm talking to you Fox and ESPN.

Iwritecode
10-01-2008, 03:09 PM
And that's without mentioning Capt. Obvious, Mr. "I don't think that taste is still there."

That's still one of my favorite moments of the 05 WS.

The timing couldn't have been any more perfect. :D:

turners56
10-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Dick Stockton is a bit slow IMO.

DSpivack
10-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Don't remember them doing this (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/hotcorner/index.jsp)before. Kinda cool live coverage.

Tragg
10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Dick Stockton is a bit slow IMO.
He is, but he has a good voice. It sure beats the ESPN chumps.

Who has round 2 and the WS?

oeo
10-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I don't understand the hate for Jack Buck. He's a little arrogant but so are many other announcers.

Too monotone and boring. The guy just doesn't get excited about anything.

TommyGavinFloyd
10-01-2008, 03:42 PM
9 times out of 10, when the Bears are on Fox, they are called by Dick Stockton. So I enjoyed his work last night. Also liked Eck saying something about Ken Griffey Jr. "swinging the cheese and hitting a 3 run Johnson", or something close to that.

TommyGavinFloyd
10-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I don't understand the hate for Jack Buck. He's a little arrogant but so are many other announcers.

I liked Jack Buck. His son Joe is the ****ty announcer. :smile:

Sox4ever77
10-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I liked Jack Buck. His son Joe is the ****ty announcer. :smile:

Oh **** that was bad. I like Joe Buck and don't understand all the hatred towards him.

Sockinchisox
10-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I heard some radio highlights from Dan Shulman today and he sounded awesome, incredibly excited and energetic when big plays happened in the game.

Just wanted to throw that in there, and I also like the TBS broadcasts. I'm happy Reynolds got on the team, I've always enjoyed his analysis.

MeteorsSox4367
10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Liked Eck and Ripken as the in-studio guys (especially because Ripken is one of my all-time favorite players).

Some small things that I didn't like...Stockton saying that the Cubs beat the Sox in 1906 (wrong) and Reynolds mentioning that Gardenhire should be considered for AL Manager of the Year behind Joe Maddon (has Reynolds not heard of Ozzie?)

Other than that, they were pretty solid. I've listened to Darling on Mets games on Extra Innings and he's usually pretty good.

jdm2662
10-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I do like Turner's NBA coverage. It blows ESPN's to shame, but that's not too hard to do. I was at the game, and didn't watch the telecast. I'm sure it's light years ahead of ESPN.

bigsoxfan420
10-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I hate to hijack the thread, but does anyone know why they are not silmulcasting the games (Sox or Cubs) on WGN (for those who don't have cable)? I seem to remember that in '05 the games were on ESPN and a local affiliate.

turners56
10-01-2008, 05:01 PM

Fox. Joe Buck and the stupid McCarver will be doing those.

turners56
10-01-2008, 05:02 PM
I hate to hijack the thread, but does anyone know why they are not silmulcasting the games (Sox or Cubs) on WGN (for those who don't have cable)? I seem to remember that in '05 the games were on ESPN and a local affiliate.

Yea, that seems kind of weird. I thought the game might of been on WGN yesterday, but I guess not.

You can watch the game for free on mlb.com though. They have these cool angles of the TBS feed.

turners56
10-01-2008, 05:02 PM
9 times out of 10, when the Bears are on Fox, they are called by Dick Stockton. So I enjoyed his work last night. Also liked Eck saying something about Ken Griffey Jr. "swinging the cheese and hitting a 3 run Johnson", or something close to that.

Ripken actually got the right pick to click. Lol.

RockJock07
10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh **** that was bad. I like Joe Buck and don't understand all the hatred towards him.

I like Joe Buck too, McCarver is the problem.

I think TBS has been great, solid anouncers all around and solid graphics plus the Hot Corner feature which is pretty cool.

RockJock07
10-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Fox. Joe Buck and the stupid McCarver will be doing those.

TBS has the ALCS, Fox has NLCS and WS

turners56
10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
TBS has the ALCS, Fox has NLCS and WS

I probably won't have to listen to McCarver talking about how each team plays during all 4 quarters of the game then. Awesome. :cool:

soxfanreggie
10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
That is a pretty cool thing TBS has going, but it's a little ahead of my tv.

Brian26
10-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Bring back Scully and Garagiola.

DSpivack
10-02-2008, 01:11 AM
I like their postgame show, a mix of analysis and goofing around like their NBA show. Eckersley, Ripken and Curtis Granderson all made for good studio guys. They had a good feature where Ripken broke down Lowe's sinker and how it made him successful, where most Cubs sluggers where trying to pull the ball and thus were getting on top of it and grounding out to the left side, when they should have been trying to get it RF, which Derosa did. Granderson also seemed a good studio analyst, perhaps he has some future there when his fine career ends.

Best though was at the end of the night they had "EJ's Neat-o Stat of the Night", carried over from their NBA broadcasts. This is the first Game 1 the Dodgers have won since...1988. Eckersley was sitting there as they played the Kirk Gibson clip. He seemed to be back taking in stride, although I'm sure he's used to that by now.

SouthSoxFan
10-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Stockton and his team scored points tonight for commenting on, several times, the awesome fan support at the Cell Tuesday night vs. the pathetically "apprehensive" atmosphere at Wrigley on Wednesday!

Makes up for the two times he called A.J. "A.G.". Anyone else catch that?

hawkjt
10-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Granderson is very good already on TV..I was wondering when he is a FA, I would love for him to come back to Chicago.

I like their graphics and stats. They clearly want to make it like the NBA on TBS..which is very successful.

JermaineDye05
10-02-2008, 01:39 AM
So what rights does Fox have for the post season this year, if any?

LCS? WS? Both?

EDIT: NVM, I just read some previous posts. Well looks like if we have to deal with Buck and McCarver it will have to be in the WS. If the Sox can make it again, I guess I can stomach Buck and McCarver

EuroSox35
10-02-2008, 02:32 AM
GIRLS. REILLY'S. NOW. i

DumpJerry
10-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Curtis Granderson looks and sounds good on the wrap-up show. Almost as good he would look in a White Sox uniform patrolling Center Field........

nccwsfan
10-03-2008, 09:05 AM

NLCS- Fox
ALCS- TBS

World Series- Fox

Railsplitter
10-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Harold Reynolds was solid on analysis yesterday. Hard to believe he used to work for ESPN.

BleacherBandit
10-03-2008, 10:02 AM
GIRLS. REILLY'S. NOW. i

I'm kind of tired of that commercial.

The Frank TV commercials bug me too. The Heineken commercials on CSN were annoying earlier this year:

I need you....I need you everysingleday lalalallalala and I want you.....

That's the only problem I have with watching TBS. They play the same commercials over and over again.

esbrechtel
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I need you....I need you everysingleday lalalallalala and I want you.....

:kneeslap:

chisox616
10-03-2008, 10:20 AM
GIRLS. REILLY'S. NOW. i

I didn't understand that commercial when I first saw it. Then I saw it again, understood it, and laughed. Then I saw it again. And again. Wow. Then I thought they were gonna tone down the Frank TV ads this year, too. Nope. Now we got Frank TV ads, and Frank TV characters on the Dish Network ads. Agh!

And Harold Reynolds is Chris Rock in disguise.

Chicken Dinner
10-03-2008, 10:29 AM
The same commercials over and over and over again is brutal.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-03-2008, 10:33 AM
TBS does a good job overall. I do wish that they would allow the local markets to carry the game on free TV though. Not sure if it's TBS' rule or MLB.

However I'm glad that they didn't get Dane Cook to do those "There's only one October" promos. Man do I hate that guy.

slavko
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Harold Reynolds was solid on analysis yesterday. Hard to believe he used to work for ESPN.

He failed to understand the logic on the play where, on a flyball to LF or CF, the runner on 1B (in this case AJ) tags up and makes a break for 2B, if the throw looks off line he goes back, otherwise continues to 2B. We've pulled it off a couple times this year.

He preferred the "book" method of going halfway to 2B and waiting for the fielder to drop an easy flyball, which of course, almost never happens in MLB.

D. TODD
10-03-2008, 11:09 AM
I really like Harold Reynolds, very good job. The overall broadcast was fine as well no real complaints from me.

hawkjt
10-03-2008, 11:59 AM
He failed to understand the logic on the play where, on a flyball to LF or CF, the runner on 1B (in this case AJ) tags up and makes a break for 2B, if the throw looks off line he goes back, otherwise continues to 2B. We've pulled it off a couple times this year.

He preferred the "book" method of going halfway to 2B and waiting for the fielder to drop an easy flyball, which of course, almost never happens in MLB.

yes, that was nonsense analysis. AJ did the right thing.
But, overall, I like TBS ok.

I do not think they realize how desperate the Sox are for offense. Even the hit and run with AJ...I am ok with it...OC should have made contact.

PatK
10-03-2008, 12:44 PM

Between his moral superiority (best shown with the famous Randy Moss touchdown celebration), his ego, and his obvious preference for certain teams, I can't stand him.

RadioheadRocks
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I like Joe Buck and don't understand all the hatred towards him.

I'm guessing you don't have the 05 World Series DVD box set.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I think Eckersley and Ripken give good insight in studio...and I love the game breaks because they're not rushed....they take the full commercial break and talk baseball.

Stockton gets too caught up in the moment....and if he says AG Pierzynski one more time, I'm gonna kill him.....but I do like all their coverage. No one tries to one up the other.

And listening to Tony Gwynn describe Thome's homer as a bomb always makes me smile. :D:

Michstate45
10-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Between his moral superiority (best shown with the famous Randy Moss touchdown celebration), his ego, and his obvious preference for certain teams, I can't stand him.

I used to hate Joe Buck but after I saw him on the Conan O'Brien show I warmed up to him a little bit. Still would prefer a different announcer but seeing how I only have to listen to the guy a few times a year I don't really care all that much.

LoveYourSuit
10-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I am about 40-50% when guessing all the Frank Calieno impersonations.

Tells you how pathetic they are.

Stick to Madden and Bush, those are about the only two you have nailed right on.

chisoxfanatic
10-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Am I the only one who's gotten sick of the Bon Jovi song already?

LoveYourSuit
10-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Am I the only one who's gotten sick of the Bon Jovi song already?

Speaking of, the Cubs are starting to play "Living on a Prayer" at Wrigley. When they came back from commercial I noticed that yesterday.

First of all, I didn't realize they had a PA system there to begin with.

chisoxfanatic
10-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Speaking of, the Cubs are starting to play "Living on a Prayer" at Wrigley. When they came back from commercial I noticed that yesterday.

First of all, I didn't realize they had a PA system there to begin with.
How else could they play "Go Cubs Go?"

I noticed that song too and thought it was kind of funny.

Sox4ever77
10-04-2008, 12:21 AM

I'm guessing you don't have the 05 World Series DVD box set.

What Moss did showed no class on his part. I have no problem with what Joe said.

Most national announcers have an obvious preference for certain teams. Vin Scully loves the Dodgers.

I find Joe Buck a little arrogant but I think he does a great job annoucing a game.

tick53
10-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Harold Reynolds sucks. All he did last night was sing the praises of the Rays.

LoveYourSuit
10-04-2008, 12:37 PM

My wife asked me last night why was Chris Rock announcing the Sox game.

Railsplitter
10-04-2008, 03:41 PM

The Rays were getting the job done. The Sox weren't.

turners56
10-04-2008, 04:07 PM
My wife asked me last night why was Chris Rock announcing the Sox game.

:redneck:redneck:redneck:redneck:redneck

5 stars!

"Why is that punk-ass catcha tagging up on that lazy ass fly ball? He ignant, he don't know the damn rules of baseball. I doubt he ever read a book about base-runnin' in his life. I know all about running in my life. I was doin' it for the first 15 years of my life. And I wasn't on the track team eitha. Maybe that's why he ran to first base 3 years ago on strike three. Maybe he too stupid to figure out it was the third strike."