PDA

View Full Version : AJ play at the plate

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Was AJ trying to mock Cuddyer when he showed the ball after tagging him out? The announcers made it sound this way, and I didn't tune in until later so I only saw the replays, but I thought he was just showing the ball and going back to tag Cuddyer to make sure he was called out. What did you guys think?

fram40
10-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I thought he was showing the ball to the ump that he had maintained control and Cuddyer was OUT

But, yeah, everyone seems to think it was AJ being a pest

Hendu
10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, it's AJ so I'm sure he was trying to get into Cuddyer's head a little bit, and naturally he was pumped up after a play like that. But it's not like he was talking trash or anything.

rdwj
10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I think AJ was giving Cuddyer the business - but who knows.

I also liked how AJ pretended a pitch in the dirt got past him, hoping for the runner to break home. The guy will do ANYTHING to win. That's what I love about him.

Konerko05
10-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Was AJ trying to mock Cuddyer when he showed the ball after tagging him out? The announcers made it sound this way, and I didn't tune in until later so I only saw the replays, but I thought he was just showing the ball and going back to tag Cuddyer to make sure he was called out. What did you guys think?

When I first saw it happen at the game, I thought he was kind of rubbing it in Cuddyer's face. I was laughing about it.

From replay on tv it looked like AJ turned to tag Cuddyer, but the ump already signaled the out.

AJ might have also been a little discombobulated after the collision, and thought he was showing the ball to the ump.

Chez
10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I also liked how AJ pretended a pitch in the dirt got past him, hoping for the runner to break home. The guy will do ANYTHING to win. That's what I love about him.

Ozzie used to try the same trick when he played shortstop -- pretending throws from the catcher went into the outfield.

FielderJones
10-01-2008, 02:43 PM
If you have that game recorded, look at the replays from all angles. Notice where the ump is in relation to where AJ's glove is pointing. He's not showing the ball to the ump. He's getting in Cuddyer's head.

"You gave me your best shot, punk, and I still have the ball. Go sit down."

EndemicSox
10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
The Twins fans I was with took offense to the play, but they are not rational when it comes to AJ. That was the play of the game, and I'm glad AJ told MC to stuff it!

Konerko05
10-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Regardless....

Moral of the story: AJ is a total badass.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 02:51 PM
The Twins fans I was with took offense to the play, but they are not rational when it comes to AJ. That was the play of the game, and I'm glad AJ told MC to stuff it!

Let's take offense to a play where the sox catcher just took a huge hit....I am telling you right now if I had held on to the ball after getting rocked I'd show it to him....

Mendoza Line
10-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Are there any good photos of this moment? I want that as my computer background!

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 02:53 PM
AJ was showing his manhood as that is what a homeplate collision really is...the most physical play in baseball. Cuddyer is 215lbs...AJ is down to 225 maybe. Really, that was just a spectacular play aided by a little luck...how the hell did AJ not get that knocked loose?

After all in the end, sports are entertainment and AJ is one entertaining player.
I thought it was cool when in the pre-game show Ripken predicted that Thome would be the key guy and Eck picked Jr....but both predicted that AJ would be in the middle of something...all came true.

Konerko05
10-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Let's take offense to a play where the sox catcher just took a huge hit....I am telling you right now if I had held on to the ball after getting rocked I'd show it to him....

At least AJ didn't punch him in the face. Then again, AJ was actually tough enough to hold onto the ball.

daveeym
10-01-2008, 02:54 PM

That reminds me of O Dotel on b&b yesterday before the game. He said they'd cheat if necessary to win the game. It was pretty funny. The guys were giving him the business telling him he couldn't mean that.

Madscout
10-01-2008, 02:54 PM
If you have that game recorded, look at the replays from all angles. Notice where the ump is in relation to where AJ's glove is pointing. He's not showing the ball to the ump. He's getting in Cuddyer's head.

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with this. Now, if he would have not made the play and gone off and sucker punched him because of the collision, that would be a different story.

XplodingScorbord
10-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Why is it that when I go to Whitesox.com, the video is listed as an available highlight from last night, but when you click on it, it says the video has been deleted?

Anyone?

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Are there any good photos of this moment? I want that as my computer background!

There are some small ones on the tribune site...thats all I could find, I was going to work on a compilation tonite using those photos to make a 2008 wallpaper...

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 02:59 PM
At least AJ didn't punch him in the face. Then again, AJ was actually tough enough to hold onto the ball.

Ha, thats what my girlfriend said...wow AJ didn't punch the guy in the face after getting plowed over and I said well the guy was out this time :D:

fram40
10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
... Now, if he would have not made the play and gone off and sucker punched him because of the collision, that would be a different story.

That sounds like something a Cub would do

GoGoCrede
Why is it that when I go to Whitesox.com, the video is listed as an available highlight from last night, but when you click on it, it says the video has been deleted?

Anyone?

Try going straight to MLB.com, all the plays are up there. I had the same problem with whitesox.com

chisoxmike

I hope A.J. said something.

I loved that he pretended the ball went past him.

Pear-Zin-Ski
10-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Exactly...what's wrong with that? I've seen way worse displays of sportsmanship this year *cough cough cough K-Rod cough cough....*

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Exactly...what's wrong with that? I've seen way worse displays of sportsmanship this year *cough cough cough K-Rod cough cough....*

Not to mention Gomez's slide, Punto's trash talk through the media, AAA Span and his "well it will be sweet to have a celebration at their homefield", and Justin "anybody but the sox" Morneau...

The sox had many reasons to be way bigger jerks last night and I am glad they just beat their asses on the field

-as a footnote I know I am in the minority around here but Gomez doesn't piss me off that much, his slide was a little uncalled for but I like the kid as a player he is exciting to watch...

dllrbll7
10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
My friend was sitting right by the twins on deck circle and she heard AJ say "I got the ball... bitch"....

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I did not see his mouth move....I will have to watch again...

rdwj
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I did not see his mouth move....I will have to watch again...

Neither did I

My friend was sitting right by the twins on deck circle and she heard AJ say "I got the ball... bitch"....

I find it pretty hard to believe that anyone would be able to hear ANYTHING a player said after that play.

gosox83
10-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Seriously?????

fugazis
10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I was reading the Twins site to see what kind of spin they put on the game. Here is a link to an article on the Cuddyer/AJ play.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081001&content_id=3578150&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

Iwritecode
10-01-2008, 03:32 PM

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/Iwritecode/AJ1.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/Iwritecode/AJ2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/Iwritecode/AJ3.jpg

beasly213
10-01-2008, 03:33 PM

See my Sig. :D:

jabrch
10-01-2008, 03:39 PM
I find it pretty hard to believe that anyone would be able to hear ANYTHING a player said after that play.

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that someone, even from row 1, would be able to hear a thing said on the field.

esbrechtel
10-01-2008, 03:50 PM
yeah i think we can all concur that we have to call :bs: on that one

btrain929
10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
He was showing him up, basically saying that you came at me with everything you had, and I still got the ball. I don't have any problem with that and that's one of the reasons why I love AJ....

FielderJones
10-01-2008, 04:04 PM

AJ said it right into Kenny's cell phone.

That seems right. The crowd was very loud once they saw the ball was not knocked out of AJ's glove.

JermaineDye05
10-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I was listening to highlights last night from both radio broadcasts, and the Twins broadcast said at the end of the game that Cuddyer and AJ both found each other and basically saluted one another for a good game played which I though was pretty classy.

dllrbll7
10-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that someone, even from row 1, would be able to hear a thing said on the field.

All I know is what I was told. It wouldnt surprise me if he did say it. From the replay I couldnt tell.

hawkjt
10-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Gardy was quoted in the minny papers as saying that AJ made sure to show he had the ball...like he always does...Gardy understood and Cuddyer did also...they were teammates for 3 years...no hard feelings.

SouthPaw72
10-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I think your friend is telling little lies...lol I watched the play over and over and I didnt see him move his move at all. AJ reminded me of Carlton Fisk with that play. He is really proving time and time again to be an outstanding catcher.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Ex-Chicagoan
10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Oddly enough, I haven't heard from the Cub-fan side of the family yet. Any time AJ's involved in anything, I hear about it.

Of course, the last time, I was told what a dirtbag AJ is... to which I replied, "Yeah, but he's OUR dirtbag."

MeteorsSox4367
10-01-2008, 05:25 PM

Wasn't that (allegedly) part of the dialogue between AJ and Barrett from their encounter?

BoysMom3
10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I was listening to highlights last night from both radio broadcasts, and the Twins broadcast said at the end of the game that Cuddyer and AJ both found each other and basically saluted one another for a good game played which I though was pretty classy.

That's cool. I like it.